Good Quality Carabiners?

MaxwellsDemon

Anyone know where I can find durable yet not overpriced carabiners here?

Back home you could spend a fortune at special climbing shops or get solid steel ones from hardware stores for dirt cheap that worked just as well.

All I've seen here are plastic-y hollow carabiners that I wouldn't trust my life with.

I've seen a few high end stores in the various malls around Paragon. I do believe I saw a good one in Central World. 3rd floor I believe, but can't remember.

Have you tried SuperSports in Central World? Or the North Face store?

There are several shops all over Chinatown that deal in stainless steel products of all descriptions.

I'd suggest the area directly between Hua Lamphong train station and the River City Shopping Complex. You'll also pass by shops fabricating wire rope and cable slings for heavy duty industrial use so the stuff has to be certified and not the cheap aluminum junk you see on every street kiosk.

They have steel carabiners of varying types and sizes in Homepro and Homeworks here in Phuket from around 60Bt upwards depending on size. I use them for a number of uses but none that would endanger life should they fail.

The OP doesn't actually state what use they're going to be put to so not sure how high a quality is required.

They are also easily sourced from any marine chandlery.

Most general hardware shops have these, cheap. I've used them in a DIY TRX exercise system and they support my weight w/ no problem, though I probably wouldn't use them for climbing. As mentioned above Home Pro has them also, at higher prices.

Edited by JSixpack

Thanks for the replies, that's the kind of news I was hoping for. I'll go down there today if I get a chance.

They'll be used for hanging rather expensive photography gear and accessories (most of which I know can withstand some impressive drops). While lives are priceless, $20,000 is still $20,000. And lives below I guess are in danger too.

There are petzel agents in BKK supplying the proper pukker kit.....these are the best quality carabiners money can buy.

These are for climbing....and are the real deal...look up Petzel agents in Thailand...but I will warn you not cheap...

I just bought some in Chinatown 2 days ago. They are in many shops. Stainless is really expensive but non-stainless is around 60 baht for a 10cm tall industrial carabiner. The stainless is around 300 baht.

cheesy.gif .....if you think these are expensive go and look at the price of Petzel carbiners (real kit) you better book the cardiac ward in the hospital

There are petzel agents in BKK supplying the proper pukker kit.....these are the best quality carabiners money can buy.

These are for climbing....and are the real deal...look up Petzel agents in Thailand...but I will warn you not cheap...

I said not overpriced. I can pay someone twelve million dollars to make me unique diamond carabiners that are better than your precious Petzel pieces, but I think I'll donate that money to charity instead.

if you are looking for technical climbing equipment then order from the internet from the people that you know and trust...I haven't climbed in many years but I know that yer safety is only as good as your equipment and 'biners in Thailand are simply a fashion assessory...

where can ye technically climb in Thailand anyway? Saraburi? I'm talkin' about pins and chocks and direct assistance when on belay...

Edited by tutsiwarrior