British Man Caught Using Fake Card At South Pattaya Atm

Rimmer

The crime rate by brits is increasing by the day...everyday I come on TVF it's either, they are caught for drugs or scam... Are all brits bad?

Yes obviously

Send them all home

Or to Mauritius

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Why not sending the "bad" ones to Australia? laugh.png

Sent from Chinese tablet.

Van Diemans land to all I say...Next ship in the morning...clap2.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you guys says only Africans commit crime in Thailand? That westerners are Saints? We are watching.

Who do you mean by "you guys"?

With your username, I would expect you to be less inclined towards erroneous stereotyping

He's obviously anticipating not getting his Brit state pension indexed to inflation while living in Thailand (when he eventually gets it) so he's just trying to salt some money away for those grim days that lie ahead.

And who can blame him.

is everyone involved in scamming something, selling drugs or doing something else illegal?. it seems like it with all these news reports coming up on the forums lol.

If it's "everyone" then it includes you?

This proves that there are mostly very dumb foreigners residing in Pattaya.

Just what proves your ridiculous statement? To make such an unsubstantiated claim is itself dumb. I might agree to "some" but not "mostly"

This proves that there are mostly very dumb foreigners residing in Pattaya.

Just what proves your ridiculous statement? To make such an unsubstantiated claim is itself dumb. I might agree to "some" but not "mostly"

I'm 'ere

Sort of amazing. Yet another story about a Brit involved in criminal activity in Thailand, who is quickly apprehended by the Thai Police, and so far no one has managed to use it for a round of Thai bashing ... or claims that he isn't really British. This must be a first or maybe it's just too early in the morning.

He's probably not really British rolleyes.gif

How does someone use a fake card in an ATM machine? A card has to be linked to an account and a PIN. I guess he must have scammed that info from someone somehow? Scumbag!

Several ways. Everyone always blames call centres or bank hacking but mostly its much simpler than that .

The crims put a small camera in the top of the ATM booth and a card skimmer in the slot on Saturday after the bank closes.

Saturday night you need extra cash for booze or a girl or just plain old shopping and you take your credit card to the ATM.

The card is read and the stripe and pin is recorded for a normal transaction. You get your money and off you go.

Sunday morning the crims pick up the equipment with the pin and stripe recorded recorded for 50 cards . Then they make maybe 10 copies of 50 cards and distribute cards and pins to 10 teams each in different countries and then set them all off at the same time . You run a small transaction on each card to make sure it works. In 4 hours with planning you can maybe hit 10 teams x 16 ATMS with a 50 cards for 20,000 Baht . Thats about 400,000 USD for a mornings work and you pay out 30% to the suckers who get their photo taken at the ATM (not all ATMS have bank cameras but some do).

Most banks now are looking at or have anti fraud software which raises an alarm for odd patterns of withdrawal ( like 10 withdrawals in 10 countries at the same time). But the problem is in the busy times the fraud software will be throwing out thousands of false positives so the bank might not get to calling you for a couple of hours to verify the transaction. Since crims are usually lazy and greedy and criminal they normally keep the thing going until someone gets caught.

They are also nearby to stop other criminals running away with their money. And of course they always give each other up when they get caught. One of the problems with being a scummy criminal is you have to deal with scummy criminals.

Ways to avoid card skimming. Dont give up your cards in bars or restaurants. They can scan every card that comes in the bar and then just use an ATM camera close to the bar to to get the pin. Its a numbers game collect enough cards and videos of cards and pins and sooner or later you get a match.

Put your hand over the number pad when typing your pin at the ATM. I always like to show one finger to the potential crim cam smile.png

Put your hand over the top of the card when putting in the slot (this wont stop stripe skimming at the ATM , but will stop them matching the pin to a peviously skimmed card)

If your Bank offers SMS reporting of overseas transactions turn it on.

Read your bank statements (lots of people dont)

Obviously don't store your pin with your card.

Change your card pin (nobody ever does)

If interested do a google search for images of card skimmers. Bet you cant tell them from normal ATM slots if you saw them

If the card reader vibrates it normally means anti-skim technology is in place. But dont assume the crims won't find a way to fake the vibrate.

Of course its not unheard of for someone with a $2,000 bar bill they dont want to pay to come to a deal for their card and pin with agreement that they wont report it for a week . But its usually skimming.

According to my son, the most farangs arrested for committing illegal offences in Chiang Mai are the Brits and coming in at a close second are the Dutch. The good guys among us are actually the Americans, who are usually of a better class than many of the scum arriving here from Europe

The Brits are mostly pulled in as over stayers, many have serious drug addictions and have literally been living and begging off the streets or shacked up in cheap slum type dwelling guest houses.

For offences the Australians, Scandinavians and Germans fall somewhere between the Brits and the Americans. The French are also well behaved and usually manage to keep out of trouble here.

I’m afraid I have to agree with many of the posters on here, that quite a few Brits that are plonking themselves in Thailand are of the lowest orders and perhaps the authorities should place stricter immigration procedures on farangs from certain countries.

I think you need to get off your soap box until you can present all the facts, OK so Brits make up the largest number of offenders according to your son, but what is the number as a % of Brits in Chiang Mai. It appears that your figures follow the demographic of the numbers of each nationality residing there.

According to my son, the most farangs arrested for committing illegal offences in Chiang Mai are the Brits and coming in at a close second are the Dutch. The good guys among us are actually the Americans, who are usually of a better class than many of the scum arriving here from Europe

The Brits are mostly pulled in as over stayers, many have serious drug addictions and have literally been living and begging off the streets or shacked up in cheap slum type dwelling guest houses.

For offences the Australians, Scandinavians and Germans fall somewhere between the Brits and the Americans. The French are also well behaved and usually manage to keep out of trouble here.

I’m afraid I have to agree with many of the posters on here, that quite a few Brits that are plonking themselves in Thailand are of the lowest orders and perhaps the authorities should place stricter immigration procedures on farangs from certain countries.

that's rich coming from someone whose homeland literally invented organized crime .......

Edited by timekeeper
  • Like 1

I am not disputing your info, but who exactly is your son? In the meantime, I guess "according to my son" has as much credibility as "according to my pet labrador"? Your son could be 10 years old! ermm.gif