Moving To Phuket Soon And Need Advice

Chads

Hi I'm 30 years old, Male, from Singapore, and I'm moving to Phuket soon for work. I would like some advice or tips from people already living in Phuket.

I need to get an apartment with 2 rooms in Phuket Town, is there any place you would recommend? It doesn't have to be fancy, just clean.

Are there other things in particular that I need to take note of? Thank you so much for helping me out!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chads

You've started out all wrong here on the Phuket Forum.

Ask how much you could expect to pay for a Chang beer or where to find Johnnie Walker Blue Label cheap and they'll be all over you like a rash.

Then, when they're busy insulting each other and Living in Kata is removing posts for flaming & starting to get stern, ask your question.

Good luck. But then, you already seem to have some with a Work Permit smile.png

Hi MissChris, thank you for taking a minute to reply to me. I've been reading through the forum and yes there are some issues (as there are in all online forums), but I do hope some kind people would help me.

As for the work permit, I didn't have to worry about that my company settled it for me.

Next to the major tesco there are condos that go for about 20k~ for 2br if you look carefully. Very nicely furbished.

Royal something. they have an overpriced condo there on house in phuket dot com if you want to see what it looks like.

I'd recommend you book the first few days in a guesthouse or similar close to where you will be working and then have a look around for somewhere to live permanently. You can find better deals this way. You can also check out the area.

As for safety and security, it's not Singapore and if you believe some of what you read you may think it's akin to the Wild West here. Usual common sense rules apply in reality.

• Like 2

Are you moving with lots of stuff with you?

If not, and if you are not sure where to stay, then maybe the best way to do would be to rent an room / apartment or serviced apartment for 1 month at the start. Take your time and look around, learn and compare.

Even if the initial month would be more costly or not so comfortable, on the longer run you would probably safe money.

I'd recommend you book the first few days in a guesthouse or similar close to where you will be working and then have a look around for somewhere to live permanently. You can find better deals this way. You can also check out the area.

As for safety and security, it's not Singapore and if you believe some of what you read you may think it's akin to the Wild West here. Usual common sense rules apply in reality.

Good advice re the guesthouse initially. There are several good ones in the centre of Phuket Town that are reasonably priced, some with kitchenette facilities etc. Towards the centre of Phuket Town would also be good for an apartment, as the prices tend to be reasonable (geared towards Thai salaries), and of course there is easy access to shopping, restaurants, and the islands limited public transport system.

You haven't said which location you are going to work in, and what transport you would intend to use.

Thank you all for your good advice. I'm not bring much stuff with me and when I'm there I'm mostly going to work from a laptop so I wouldn't need to travel much (other than for a few research trips around the island for which I'll take taxis).

I stayed in a condominium just outside of Phuket Town recently and decided that the place I'd most like to stay in Phuket is in the town.

Edited by Chads

Thank you. Are there any safety measures I should take or things I should be aware of with regards to safety/security?

That place is pretty secure. Need a keycard to go up and door is never left open, i helped a friend move out and idiots kept closing the door everytime locking me out when clearly there was a lot of boxes right next to the open door in midday.

Thank you. Are there any safety measures I should take or things I should be aware of with regards to safety/security?

That place is pretty secure. Need a keycard to go up and door is never left open, i helped a friend move out and idiots kept closing the door everytime locking me out when clearly there was a lot of boxes right next to the open door in midday.

Sorry, which place are you referring to? Because I never mentioned the name of any hotel/condominium, unless you thought I meant the Royal Phuket City Hotel.

add this to house in phuket /houses/LTR/a0984/

that condo place which i was talking about. Secure and nice 2brs and close to central/tesco

The 1br is badly furnished though.

The Point in front of Big c is also pretty good if you can haggle down a crazy price

I wouldn't need to travel much (other than for a few research trips around the island for which I'll take taxis).

Aaaaagghhh! You've mentioned taxis. Now it's on! Sit back and watch the fireworks about what to avoid in Phuket - tuk tuks, jetskis & taxis are just the start.

You should now hopefully get some very useful contributions about how to negotiate taxis and maybe the new bus service that's supposed to start up.

And don't forget to enjoy yourself giggle.gif

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment anyway.

I surely need some tips for haggling taxis and tuktuks! But don't worry I'm never going to ride a jetski, friend of mine told me a crazy horror story so I'm avoid that.

As for enjoying myself, I have a girlfriend so I'm pretty content, thank you smile.png

Best advise - rent for a month and use the time to find long-term residence. Car taxis are expensive. Motorbike taxis better but... Buying a used motorbike is the best low-cost option for transport - IF you are comfortable riding and understand Thai driving culture.

Best advise - rent for a month and use the time to find long-term residence. Car taxis are expensive. Motorbike taxis better but... Buying a used motorbike is the best low-cost option for transport - IF you are comfortable riding and understand Thai driving culture.

Thank you. I have concerns with motorbikes. Would a simple car be cheap enough to get? How much would it cost around?

Thank you. I have concerns with motorbikes. Would a simple car be cheap enough to get? How much would it cost around?

cheaper than a coe for any cars cat. in singapore. hahahhaha

As a Patong ex-pat of over 20 years , that remark about Patong being expensive , depends on where you go,

compared to prices in most areas which cater to Tourism outside of Thailand , we are still a better deal unless you go to

the rip offs , just like in BKK or Pattaya or all over Europe!

A friend whose a Photo journalist for FULL THROTTLE MAGAZINE , WHO REPORTS on Biker shows all over the world, especially in Thailand , just emailed from Venice(Venezia) Italy about a lunch he had for 2 people cost him 160$

He said it right " sometimes you need to be careful!"

LOOK b4 u leap !

That's anywhere you arer a tourist, not just Patong , because tourists go on vacation not wanting to THINK , they're on holiday and try not to think as hard as at work.

I been working in tourism over 50 years , now retired.

Phuket and Patong still suffers from growing pains , but there's still alot more fun and good people then bad here.

Stay away from Patong. Can be very expensive.

As a Patong ex-pat of over 20 years , that remark about Patong being expensive , depends on where you go,

compared to prices in most areas which cater to Tourism outside of Thailand , we are still a better deal unless you go to

the rip offs , just like in BKK or Pattaya or all over Europe!

A friend whose a Photo journalist for FULL THROTTLE MAGAZINE , WHO REPORTS on Biker shows all over the world, especially in Thailand , just emailed from Venice(Venezia) Italy about a lunch he had for 2 people cost him 160$

He said it right " sometimes you need to be careful!"

LOOK b4 u leap !

That's anywhere you arer a tourist, not just Patong , because tourists go on vacation not wanting to THINK , they're on holiday and try not to think as hard as at work.

I been working in tourism over 50 years , now retired.

Phuket and Patong still suffers from growing pains , but there's still alot more fun and good people then bad here.

Stay away from Patong. Can be very expensive.

Compared to the rest of Thailand it is expensince. Especially taxis

Learn the language and make yourself a good Thai friend.

Learn your numbers fast, you always want to know how much your paying and how much change your getting back.

SuperCheap wholesale warehouse. One stop shopping for all your commercial needs.

Also try the Thai foods, a good place to start would be at the Metropole Hotel in Phuket Town, they put out a buffet at lunch time, and the Food is arranged according to the region from which dishes originate north, south, east and central Thailand. 179 Baht

Once you know what you like, and are able to pronounce correctly, it will make life so much easier to order at the restaurants in town..

Good luck !!

Thank you all. I have learnt basic Thai (and I've been told that I know enough to survive). I will be practicing more when I'm there since I have Thai friends and colleagues as well and I try to speak Thai as much as possible.

Where's a good place to buy affordable furniture? SuperCheap Warehouse as well?

Based on the week I was there before, I do know that rent, food & hanging out there is surely much cheaper than Singapore.

Where's a good place to buy affordable furniture and electronic appliances? SuperCheap Warehouse as well or are there other places?

I seem to remember you asking this question before. I'll answer - SuperCheap has a very limited range of electronics and even more limited range of Furniture. I would suggest looking on the bypass road. BigC has a very good range of appliances at good prices, but look out for their 'specials of the month'. Not much further along the bypass (about 500m) past Phuket International hospital, look for Jasmine Furniture shop. Good range of budget furniture. If you are in Phuket town there is another shop with budget furniture, on Samkong. About half way between Vichara Hospital and Bangkok Phuket hospital, opposite side (right) of main road. Hard to find, looks like only office furniture, but if you poke about the back they have quite a large stock of furniture stored in a rather untidy manner.