Manchester United

redrus

Manchester United in for Martin?

According to reports in The People the 18-year-old's red-hot goal scoring form for the Canaries has been recognised by a number of Premiership Clubs.

Sir Alex Ferguson is one manager who is rumoured to be weighing up a summer move for the striker and of course if he does make that move then Man Utd will be favourites for the striker's signature.

Martin has scored five times for the Canaries in just nine games and has stood out from the rest of the Norwich side as a shining light in what has proved a difficult season for the Canaries.

I can see why other clubs would be interested in the youngster, but Manchester United? This would be a very suprise move should anything materialise.

Martin is a talent and has the ability to score goals and now Premiership clubs are sniffing around him - we could well have a battle on our hands to keep hold of him during the summer.

......and

Ferguson keen on Sampdoria striker

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is monitoring the form of Sampdoria striker Fabio Quagliarella this season.

Quagliarella, 23, has been a revelation in Serie A this term and has attracted the interest of AC Milan and Inter, which both made enquiries during the January market.

Dieci says Ferguson is also keen on the player, whose contract is co-owned by Samp and Udinese. It’s reported that the United manager has been studying DVDs of Quagliarella and believes the player could complement his existing pool of strikers.

redrus

Man Utd boss Ferguson: I have no Ronaldinho regrets.

2007-03-11 CET 14:13

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson insists he has no regrets missing out on Ronaldinho.

Ferguson said: "Maybe there will be a sense of what may have been when Ronaldinho comes here but we know at this club someone else always turns up.

"We thought we had Paul Gascoigne and he changed his mind and went to Tottenham so we signed Paul Ince and he was fantastic.

"Then we tried to get David Hirst and Alan Shearer but got Eric Cantona, and what can you say about that? We thought we had an agreement with Ronaldinho until some events changed the course of history and we got Cristiano. It's amazing, football."

Copyright © OnTheMinute.com & AsianHandicap.com

.............boss is the boss, for a while yet.

Boss Ferguson in Man Utd pledge

Ferguson believes Queiroz is capable of succeeding him <deleted>........

Sir Alex Ferguson intends to carry on as Manchester United manager for at least two more seasons.

"I'll be here for at least another two years. I couldn't be enjoying the job any more than I am now," Ferguson told the Mail on Sunday.

The 65-year-old also tipped his assistant Carlos Queiroz to take over when his reign, which began in 1986, does finally come to an end.

"He is capable of doing the job," insisted Ferguson.

"It's not my role to say who the next manager is going to be," said the United manager, whose team still have a chance of repeating their famous 1999 treble this season.

"But what I would say is Carlos has the qualities to manage any top club.

"I wouldn't like to say he should be manager because I don't want to put pressure on anybody.

"But he's intelligent and experienced and knows the game inside out."

Manchester United are currently top of the Premiership and are still in the Champions League and the FA Cup, with both competitions at the quarter-final stages.

"You can't help but enjoy it with the team we have the way we are playing," said Ferguson.

"We have done everything the right way and there is fantastic spirit in the club."

The Larsson kiss goodnight

By Mandeep Sanghera

The only way players usually leave Manchester United is if they have upset manager Sir Alex Ferguson or you are deemed surplus to requirements.

Henrik Larsson has left Old Trafford after his three-month loan stint and his exit is an altogether different scenario as he departs by his own accord.

The temptation to stay on at United as they challenge for another historic Treble must have reverberated through his soul but, a man of his word, he has resisted.

The agreement was to return to Helsingborg after 12 March and Larsson is sticking to it.

"I have signed a contract with Helsingborg and it's a contract I intend to honour," he said.

"Their season starts in the first week in April and I will be there. It has been a wonderful experience at a great club. It is something I'll always be grateful for."

Ferguson did not want the 35-year-old Swede to leave but for him not to do so would be in conflict with a career and reputation the striker has based on loyalty and honesty.

Such commodities are considered rare in the modern age of football but old-fashioned honour marks out Larsson and his off-pitch reputation would not be as impressive if he was still not one of Europe's most erstwhile forwards.

The clamour for him to stay began as soon as his first game for Manchester United was over - when he scored a goal on his debut in the 2-1 win over Aston Villa in the FA Cup.

Since then he has added two further goals in 11 appearances, including the header against Lille in the Champions League that helped take United into the last eight.

But, while his goal tally is respectable, the statistics hide his guile and artistry off the ball, along with his professionalism and attitude in showing the way to United's younger stars.

It was much the same at Barcelona last season when his influence was telling in helping them win the Champions League and take Spain's La Liga crown.

He was brought on as a substitute against Arsenal in the Champions League final and changed the game - setting up both goals as Barcelona came back from a goal down to beat their 10-man rivals 2-1.

It seems ironic that he is leaving when United need him most, with fellow forwards Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer set to be sidelined until the end of March because of injury.

Wayne Rooney is struggling for form and Alan Smith has yet to show he has fully recovered from a broken ankle well enough to make an impact.

Ferguson will be hoping his players will have learned enough from Larsson to see them through as the going gets even tougher with the season reaching a climax.

"He has been a credit to himself. His dedication to his job has never changed and it has been a real joy to have him," stated Ferguson.

"We would love him to stay but, obviously, he has made his promise to his family and Helsingborg and I think we should respect that - but I would have done anything to keep him."

redrus

so who do you support mate?

Liverpool.

I said it on a previous post, that a championship winning team needs luck as well as the obvious.

Manchester UTD seem to be having that bit of luck.

That bit of luck gets you through the times when you're not playing 100% well.

spot

:o:D :D

Not bitter are we..............! :D

redrus

The season has gone too far, and out of reach to be bitter.

Just an observaton.

Been through/seen it many times.

spot

VIEWS FROM THE BROADSHEETS

Sunday 11th March 2007

'Rattling good Cup tie' as 'United escape to keep the Treble alive.'

THE INDIE

Manchester United's treble chance is still on, though at one stage in a classic Cup tie last night it looked as if they might be left to pursue a trifling Double of Premiership and Champions' League. Middlesbrough, semi-finalists last season, rallied splendidly from Wayne Rooney's early goal, only for the captain George Boateng, having headed them in front, to concede the penalty for handball from which Cristiano Ronaldo equalised.

"I am devastated. I can't believe it really," said Boateng afterwards. "I feel the referee has robbed us tonight and it is painful. It's a natural instinct that when a shot comes in you try and protect your face and neck. I was not deliberately trying to handball it."

Gareth Southgate's side, who have a better record against United over the past five years than any other club, will go to Old Trafford without any feelings of inferiority tomorrow week, with Manchester police hoping that Manchester City do not need a replay with Blackburn the same night - the only available date in an absurdly congested season, and one on which England's squad are supposed to be meeting up ahead of the internationals against Israel and Andorra.

Whoever goes through, neither side will stand accused of taking the easy road. Middlesbrough had required three replays in previous rounds to overcome opposition from lower divisions, two of them concluding in penalty shoot-outs. "We should have been at Wembley twice by now," Southgate joked. The run has suggested nerve, but also defensive fallibility in conceding 11 goals and both aspects were in evidence here.

In previous games Sir Alex Ferguson often juggled his squad with rest, recuperation and future fixtures in mind. He will do the same again for Saturday's game at Bolton and then the replay. Last night, however, United fielded a team as near to full strength as a recent string of injuries plus suspension to Paul Scholes allowed, only for Edwin van der Sar to strain his calf in the warm-up.

Kuszczak then had to save from Yakubu Ayegbeni , smartly, and Lee Cattermole, routinely, before Giggs, receiving Neville's chip, volleyed against the far post. Middlesbrough refused to be deflated and a minute before half-time an equaliser arrived to delight a majority of the capacity crowd, who had provided a proper Cup-tie atmosphere. Downing came back on to his right foot to cross and Rio Ferdinand headed out only as far as Arca, whose header was neatly brought down and driven in by Cattermole.

Stragglers were still returning from the tea-bars after the interval when another caco-phonous roar announced a second home goal. As Downing swung in a corner from the right, Boateng peeled off to the back post and arrived completely unmarked to head his first FA Cup goal for eight years.

United's response was vigorous, if only to defuse the anger that Ferguson undoubtedly felt at their defensive negligence. Rooney vainly claimed a penalty when he tumbled under Stuart Parnaby's challenge but the positive reaction was soon rewarded. In the 67th minute Ferdinand flicked on Giggs' corner and Boateng unaccountably put both hands up to block the ball. Ronaldo, entrusted with the penalty, even allowed himself the luxury of a pause in his run-up to commit the goalkeeper before knocking in his 17th goal of the season.

MORE IN THE INDIE

Revenge is a dish best served cold, a blustery Riverside Stadium proved the ideal venue for Gareth Southgate to show Sir Alex Ferguson that he might not be so wet behind the ears after all.

Labelled "naïve" by his vastly more experienced opposite number three months ago in the wake of their spat over Cristiano Ronaldo's eagerness to taste Teesside turf, the Middlesbrough manager responded in what must have been highly satisfying fashion.

United's treble quest wobbled significantly, while Southgate remains squarely in the hunt for his first honour as a manager, less than eight months after making the quantum leap to the dugout. With 17 major trophies safely hived away during his Old Trafford epoch, Ferguson's tally might take some catching, but the Boro manager has to start somewhere.

As a former defender who attracted Ferguson's interest a decade ago, the irony of George Boateng's goal that so nearly settled the contest at the outset of the second-half will not be lost on Southgate.

Post-match thoughts, over a swift glass of red with the Scot, of a rather cheeky offer of advice to relay to United's back four, who simply stood and admired the Middlesbrough captain's header, remained just that.

Best not to risk the hairdryer, that bane of the United player, which has also been known to be turned on to opposing managers. Ever the diplomat, Southgate knows Ferguson is a man who is probably best kept onside. "We just clicked tonight," enthused the United manager of his side's performance. "The rhythm was back, the speed was back and it was terrific to see that. The name of the game's winning and that's the best kind of energiser there is. But Middlesbrough are still in the Cup, and we'll approach the replay in the same way as we did this game."

The Cup pedigree of these two sides couldn't have been in more stark contrast, yet, as Southgate was at pains to point out, it wasn't a matter of being a better club or even a better side, more a case of bettering their foe for 90 minutes. They came close to that, but had to settle for matching them.

"They paid us the respect of fielding a full-strength side and we're disappointed not to win after being ahead," he said. "We have to go to Old Trafford and win, but that's something we've done twice in the last five years. We seem to be doing things the hard way, but I can't praise the players enough."

THE OBSERVER

This was a rattling good Cup tie and, while a replay on a Monday night in the week England are preparing to play Israel might be the last thing anyone needs, few spectators will complain if the action is anything like as exciting.

Manchester United supporters are not exactly famous for worrying about England in any case and neutrals will know better than to expect excitement from Tel Aviv on Saturday week. Middlesbrough went a goal down, recovered to take a 2-1 lead, then were denied their day of glory when a penalty was harshly awarded against them.

This was another lucky escape for United in other words, who remain on course for a possible Treble despite losing players and their form of a few months ago.

However, their injury problems are deepening on a daily basis. Edwin van der Sar had to cry off with a calf strain sustained while warming up, so Tomasz Kuszczak was hastily promoted from the bench and Chris Eagles sent to sit with the substitutes, leaving the visitors without a recognised goalkeeper in reserve. Kuszczak was in action straight away, making a save to deny Stewart Downing after the England winger's run behind the United defence had been superbly picked out by an inch-perfect pass from Julio Arca.

On the ground where he won a highly contentious penalty in the league three months ago, Cristiano Ronaldo's every touch brought resounding boos, treatment that merely encouraged the winger to increase the quotient of dummies and step-overs. This in turn resulted in him being clattered by a combination of Lee Cattermole and Stuart Parnaby, though it was the confusion caused by Ronaldo swapping from the right wing to the left - as advertised by a song from United's travelling support - that led to the opening goal.

For a good 10 minutes the Treble was off, United were not going to grace the new Wembley and Gareth Southgate could be safely crossed off the list of managers worried about where Sven-Goran Eriksson might be turning up next. Then, for the second Saturday in succession, fortune smiled on 'lucky United' (copyright J Mourinho).

To be more accurate fate turned its back on Boateng, who could consider himself decidedly unlucky to concede a penalty for handball. Rob Styles, the referee, was right on the spot when Giggs swung over a corner and will doubtless argue there was contact and intent need not come into it, but Boateng could hardly even have seen the ball coming as Ferdinand was standing right in front of him before ducking down at the last minute to attempt a back header. Ronaldo cemented his lasting unpopularity in these parts by gratefully accepting the opportunity to score from the spot.

Mark Viduka and Yakubu had chances before the end, but United were not going to slip up three times. Boro will do well to get as close at Old Trafford.

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had said a fortnight ago that it was too early to talk about trebles, except, of course, for the ones dispensed in long glasses filled with ice. But since then, safe passage to the quarter-finals of the Champions League has been negotiated and, despite almost tripping up here, United will fancy themselves in the replay en route to the final at Cardiff, sorry Wembley. Whoever thought we would be saying that so soon?

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, whose own team are going for an unprecedented four-timer, would have been enjoying a right old chuckle as Middlesbrough engineered a stirring fight-back to take the lead, even if a United exit would have left them fresher and less restricted by fixture congestion in their attempt to close out the Premiership title.

But he has also seen enough of United's good fortune in recent weeks to know they never retire on their stool. And when Rio Ferdinand, who was a little lax for Boro's first goal, back-headed a Ryan Giggs corner against George Boateng's hand, Cristiano Ronaldo dispatched the penalty.

Suspensions and injuries are mounting for United, who lost goalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar in the warm-up, a strangely regular occurrence in football these days, bringing another outing for Poland's Tomasz Kuszczak. They have also had to rely on Lady Luck riding shotgun, securing late Premiership wins with goals in Fergie time. Here, though, at least for the first half, they looked more like their old, fluid selves. Ferguson agreed, saying: "That was the best we've played for weeks."

Wayne Rooney had already carelessly driven wide from a knock down by Henrik Larsson, making his final farewell wave, before giving United the lead. He appeared boxed in by defenders when taking a short pass from Giggs, yet with a quick shimmy, a couple of short strides and an almost nonchalant swing of his right foot, the ball was in the corner of Mark Schwarzer's net.

The Football Association and the TV channels had conspired to strip another layer of magic off the competition by playing the only Saturday quarter-final at tea-time, but this was no genteel afternoon nibble, it was a full-blooded battle and a banquet of fine football.

Afterwards Boateng admitted he was "devastated" by referee Rob Styles' penalty award. "I feel the referee has robbed us and it is painful," he said. "It's a natural instinct that when a shot comes in you try and protect your face and neck. I was not deliberately trying to handball it."

But Southgate refused to dwell on the incident, saying: "We are disappointed but that is a measure of how far we have come. I thought the penalty was a bit harsh but we don't complain about referees. Now we've got to go to Old Trafford and win, which we've done twice in the last five years." As for Fergie, he added: "We got a bit sloppy for their second goal but we never gave up." And the treble dream? "We're still there ", he said.

SUNDAY TIMES

Sir Alex Ferguson restated his intention not to plan retirement any time soon. "I have another couple of years, a couple of songs left in me yet," he said. The prospect of another replay will not have the old boy crooning, but how the FA Cup needed the music Manchester United and Middlesbrough made.

There have been too many dirgeful matches to make this year's competition a classic, but this was a tie of glorious convulsions led by United and then Middlesbrough before arriving at a draw and a replay on March 19. The home team felt aggrieved at the decision by Rob Styles, the referee, which enabled Cristiano Ronaldo to make it 2-2 from the penalty spot but, as an outcome, parity was just.

Gareth Southgate's men were excellent, keeping their nerve after going behind during an early period where United threatened to shred them and taking charge through the attacking of their midfield quartet, of which Lee Cattermole and then George Boateng scored. Boateng, though, was left anguished when Henrik Larsson flicked on a Ryan Giggs corner and, having raised his hands involuntarily, the ball struck him on an arm. It was one of those grey-area decisions and Styles elected to award the penalty. Ronaldo, checking his run and staring out Mark Schwarzer, rammed the equaliser to the goalkeeper's right.

The FA Cup, this year, has had a shocking lack of shocks but there was a surprise when Ferguson's team emerged. Edwin Van der Sar, down on the original teamsheet, had strained his calf warming up and Tomasz Kuszczak took his place.

A Pole without polish is the verdict on this goalkeeper of many, but Peter Schmeichel could not have done better when Kuszczak faced Stuart Downing in the seventh minute. Slipped clear by a gorgeous reverse pass from Julio Arca, Downing was 10 yards out and with time to compose his finish but Kuszczak ensured he presented as large a barrier as possible by standing wide and tall and blocked Downing's shot with his body.

He was impressive again when fashioning a one-handed save to deny Yakubu, who turned sharply on a Mark Viduka head-flick and leathered in a left foot shot. Thirty minutes were played by then but Middlesbrough had spent the time between their chances being pulled around by United's movement and been punished by Wayne Rooney's right boot.

United's other surprise had been the composition of their lineup. Rooney was deployed not alongside Larsson but on the left of a three-man attack which launched their manoeuvres from behind the Swedish striker. Ryan Giggs, the deepest lying, played centrally — a role he is likely to fulfil when Larsson goes. Middlesbrough could not quite pin down Giggs, Rooney or the other of the trio, Ronaldo, and Larsson exacerbated their uncertainties by staying mobile and taking up clever positions.

MORE IN THE SUNDAY TIMES

Larsson likes to bid farewell in knockout competitions. His last contribution to Barcelona was in the Champions League final, when he effectively won them the tournament by setting up goals for Samuel Eto'o and Juliano Belletti. He brought the curtain down on a Celtic career by scoring twice in a Scottish Cup final against Dunfermline. Martin O'Neill, the manager, described him as a magician after that, but it was a struggle to conjure anything here.

The conditions didn't exactly lend themselves to the strengths of Larsson, Cristiano Ronaldo or any other of the players who have excelled in United's increasingly captivating assault on the treble. For all that the sky was clear and the sun warm, a blustery gale made wind tunnels of Middlesbrough's litter-strewn streets and, when daylight gave way to an old-fashioned cup-tie under the lights, the Riverside felt more exposed than ever on its docklands perch. All of which amounted to an unexpected bonus for the hosts, who had demanded that every legitimate measure be undertaken to ensure that it was as uncomfortable an experience as possible for their feted opponents.

It was the ground's first sell-out since last April, when Steaua Bucharest were the visitors in the Uefa Cup. Urged to "rock the Riverside", the home support duly obliged, although not without the help of a bigger United following than is usually permitted in these parts. The local council, apparently, doesn't much care for their habit of standing up, but on this occasion the rules were relaxed so that 4,000 of them could squeeze themselves in behind the goal.

Not that the vibrant atmosphere was contrived. Ronaldo made sure of that. If, as they say, a player's worth can be measured in the hostility to which he is subjected, the Portuguese winger has clearly reserved much of his damage for Middlesbrough. He is hardly accustomed to a respectful round of applause on his fortnightly trips away from Old Trafford, but here there was venom in the booing with which his every touch was greeted. Three months ago, Gareth Southgate all but branded him a cheat after the player's tumble in the box earned United a controversial penalty.

redrus

Edwards was England's finest - Charlton

Sir Bobby Charlton is in no doubt the Munich air crash robbed England of the finest player it ever produced in Duncan Edwards.

my.sportal.com

Although Edwards battled for survival for 15 days after being hauled out of the twin-engined Elizabethan plane that failed to take off from the icy slush on the runway on February 6, 1958, in the end even his massive frame gave up the fight.

Aged just 21, Edwards had not come close to reaching his peak. Yet he had already earned 18 England caps, played 175 times for Manchester United and won two championship medals.

And Charlton - one of only two Englishman, Nobby Stiles being the other, to win both the World Cup and European Cup - believes Edwards would have gone to achieve legendary status had he lived.

"Munich robbed England of its greatest player, there is no question about that," said Charlton.

"Whenever anyone mentions how great Duncan Edwards was, it is the absolute truth.

"I played with him in the youth team and I did my National Service with him, so I probably saw more of him than any other player. I have never changed my mind about how good he was.

"I never think 'is this right' when I say he was the best player I ever played with. He was a colossus. It is one of the great tragedies of sport that Duncan Edwards was taken from us when he was only 21."

Although the celebrations that will accompany tomorrow's UEFA charity game at Old Trafford centre around the 50th anniversary of United's entry into Europe, as well as the Treaty of Rome, thoughts of Munich will be at the forefront of older Red Devils supporters, just as memories of the amazing night in Barcelona eight years ago remain vivid for the younger ones.

Inspired by the idea of tackling the cream of a continent, Matt Busby defied the Football Association by confirming United as England's first entrants in the European Cup in 1957.

Yet Charlton, who was one of the 21 survivors, feels even if he had known the terrible price to be paid would be the loss of his cherished Babes - seven of whom died instantly in Munich before Edwards became the eighth playing victim of the 23 to lose their lives - Busby would still have pursued the European adventure.

"I don't think anything would have stopped him," said Charlton.

"Manchester United are in the football business, we are a big club, playing in front of big crowds. Matt was determined. Why should we not be playing on the biggest stage?"

As the obvious link between past and present, Charlton was too emotional on the night Busby finally reached his Holy Grail against Benfica in 1968 to fully take in the enormity of what had been achieved.

Even now, without hesitation, he cites the 1999 injury-time comeback against Bayern Munich as the greatest experience he has had in over half a century with the Old Trafford club.

"The European Cup became an obsession for Matt," he said.

"When we won it in 1968, it was as much for the people who had died as it was for ourselves.

"But that night in Barcelona was the happiest I have ever been in my life. It was exactly what Manchester United is all about. You play for the 90 minutes and you keep going, come what may."

Charlton is hopeful Sir Alex Ferguson will guide his team to more European glory in Athens on May 23.

But one thing is certain, if the modern-day Red Devils do make it through, they will not go through the same experiences Charlton had to endure.

"I am sure it is still an adventure but we are so much more aware now of where we are going and who we are going to play," he said.

"In those days, we had no idea.

"One on occasion, we had to go through Vienna to get to Hungary. By the time we arrived, the River Danube had flooded, so we had to go back home and come back again the following week.

"Another time there were these rumours going round they didn't have proper food in Poland and Czechoslovakia, so one of the lads took a little stove with him and got it out in the hotel room to cook on. You never forget moments like that. It was absolutely priceless."

redrus

No Manchester United regrets for Larsson

16:51 March, 12, 2007

After his spell with Manchester United Football Club, Henrik Larsson is happy to be back in Sweden.

The former Celtic ace spent three months on loan at Old Trafford from Helsingborgs, and despite the expectation he would remain with the Reds for the rest of the season, he has returned to his homeland as initially arranged.

"It is nice to be back at Helsingborgs. There have never been any question marks from my side (about returning),” said Larsson. "I had a contract that I would be back with Helsingborgs on 12th March and I am fulfilling that.

"Manchester United have been a fantastic team to play with, but it has been hard to be without my family."

Story by Paul Meadows for FansFC

redrus

If this was going anywhere, why did we not buy him before Celtic or, even Madrid....!

Sir Alex lines up unsettled superstar

00:33 March, 12, 2007

Manchester United Football Club are lining up a summer move for unsettled superstar Thomas Gravesen.

Gravesen is tipped to leave Celtic after falling down the pecking order at Parkhead.

The Danish international powerhouse has Premiership experience under the belt with Everton but is expected to head south to join Manchester United.

Sir Alex Ferguson is thought to be a long term admirer of Gravesen, who could reportedly leave Celtic for around £1.5million.

FansFC

redrus

OVER MY DEAD BODY - WE'LL SEE

redissue

Tuesday 13th March 2007

Gill says Ronaldo will not be leaving OT: 'No amount of money could be offered to alter that.'

David Gill on Radio 4 at 07:25am today:

"Every United fan be assured that Ronaldo will not be leaving this summer."

Interviewer:

"'No amount of money could be offered to alter that?"

Gill:

"Correct."

redrus

TONIGHT'S MATCH PREVIEW

UNITED V ALL STAR XI

Tuesday 13th March 2007

Quotes from Beckham, Charlton and more, squads etc.

The Mirror:

David Beckham and Sir Alex Ferguson will publicly end their four-year feud at Old Trafford tonight in front of 76,000 fans and millions more watching on television.

Beckham is a guest of honour at the exhibition match between Manchester United and an All-Star Europe XI to mark the club's 50-year involvement in the European Cup.

And although Beckham and Fergie have hardly spoken since their highly-publicised fallout which led to the former England skipper's move to Real Madrid, the pair will put their differences behind them for tonight's charity game.

"I wouldn't be the player and the person I am today without the manager," said Becks. "It's been well documented that we had our ups and downs, but I owe almost everything to him.

"Obviously I had strong parents and a strong family behind me but, without him giving me the opportunity to get into the United team, I wouldn't be the player I am today and wouldn't have won and achieved a lot of the things I have."

The one thing I've looked forward to for years since I left United is going back there and saying goodbye to the fans, because I never really had the chance to do that," said Beckham.

"I always feel that Old Trafford is my home, my rightful home. I'm obviously from London but I spent so many years there and it's my club.

"It's the club I've always supported and the club I will always support. It's the best stadium in the world for me. The Bernabeu is incredible, but United is the club where I feel I grew up."

Telegraph:

Manchester United's charity friendly game against a European XI at Old Trafford tonight will offer arguably the club's most revered alumnus an occasion for much reminiscence and nostalgia.

A 72,000 crowd will be on hand as the club mark the 50th anniversary of their initial participation in European competition by taking on an all-star team managed by Marcello Lippi. United director Sir Bobby Charlton is uniquely positioned to look back upon that half-century, having been with the club from the start.

United's first competitive European encounter took them to Anderlecht in September 1956, a first-round first-leg European Cup tie which the English club won 2-0, a month before Charlton made his first-team debut.

By the end of that campaign, in April 1957, a 19-year-old Charlton had forced his way into the first team and made his European bow, scoring in a 2-2 draw in the semi-final second leg against Real Madrid at Old Trafford which saw United go out 5-3 on aggregate.

Charlton would go on to score 22 goals in 45 European ties for United, in the Cup Winners' Cup, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (the forerunner of the Uefa Cup) and, most famously, four more European Cup campaigns, which included winning the trophy in 1968 with a 4-1 victory over Benfica in the final at Wembley.

It was a great adventure back then," said Charlton of the club's first tentative steps into Europe. "For example, you couldn't see matches on television.

''You could maybe get a few crackly pictures from a Real Madrid game but they weren't good pictures. So you didn't know what a team like Borussia Dortmund was going to be like.So it was an exciting time. Having to go to places you had never been before, having to alter the food you took, the medical side, everything. Nothing was available as it is now but that didn't matter because, from a playing point of view, it was all a great adventure.

''The games were never dull and there were some great highlights.

"People forget, we played our first few 'home' matches at Maine Road and, you ask anybody who was there, the floodlights weren't great. We had to play in silky shirts so that what little light there was would reflect off them.

"It was still a great, great time and if you are a big club, like we always assumed we were, the place you had to be was in Europe and beating those teams.

''We all thought the English game was good but you can't measure yourself properly until you have played the very best."

Charlton, in keeping with Sir Alex Ferguson, concedes that United should have won more than the one European Cup they have to show since that night at Wembley in 1968, but he remains optimistic about the team's chances of rectifying that in this season's campaign.

Reuters:

When Manchester United mark their 50 years in European competition with a celebration match against a select European XI on Tuesday, the occasion will mix images of an historic past and a likely glittering future.

Unlike some exhibition games, this one has captured the imagination of the public with the match likely to attract a 72,000 sellout crowd to Old Trafford.

United became the first English team to play in the European Cup in 1956 and since then the competition has left an indelible mark on the club, through triumph and tragedy.

Both are indelibly woven into the fabric of the club, and the fabric of European soccer.

Tragedy preceded triumph with the 1958 Munich Air disaster costing the lives of 23 players and officials including eight members of the Busby Babes, the young team created by manager Matt Busby which had won the English title in 1956 and 1957 and seemed destined for greatness.

The disaster, on Feb. 6 1958, happened when United's plane crashed on takeoff after a refuelling stop at Munich on the way back from a European Cup quarter-final in Belgrade.

Ten years later, Busby saw his dreams of European glory fulfilled when a side containing Munich survivors Bobby Charlton and Bill Foulkes and the mercurial George Best, beat Benfica 4-1 after extra time at Wembley to lift the European Cup for the first time.

Only one more European Cup has followed, in 1999, but United are now established as a giant of the world and European game, a lasting testament to Busby's vision.

Charlton says Busby defied the English FA, unlike Chelsea a year earlier, to take United into Europe because he knew they had to prove themselves among the best.

"I think Matt Busby thought he had a good enough team to win it and he was keen as a hel_l to get into the competition," Charlton told reporters.

"And he was keen to get in it because it was the place to be. It wasn't that we had done as much as you could do in the English League, but why not go a stage further into Europe ?"

Possible squads (from the Telegraph)

Manchester United: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Heinze, O'Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown, Carrick, Scholes, Richardson, Eagles, Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Smith, Dong, Rooney.

Europe XI: Kahn (Bayern Munich), Coupet (Lyons), Casillas (Real Madrid), Maldini (AC Milan), Carragher (Liverpool), Abidal (Lyons), Thuram (Barcelona), Puyol (Barcelona), Materazzi (Inter Milan), Grosso (Inter Milan), Zambrotta (Barcelona), Gerrard (Liverpool), Juninho (Lyons), Malouda (Lyons), Miguel (Valencia), Gattuso (AC Milan), Pirlo (AC Milan), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Ronaldo (AC Milan), Mancini (Roma), Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan), Larsson (Helsingborgs).

Clayton Blackmore:

"I used to love playing in Europe.

"You always seemed to get more time on the ball, which made the whole game that much more enjoyable.

"I was so focused the night we beat Barcelona it didn't even register it was raining, when in fact, it had been throwing it down throughout the game.

"The thing I will never forget was the sheer number of fans we had at the game.

"You didn't really notice it while the match was going on but once we had won, the Barcelona supporters left and the stadium was still three-quarters full."

I know the game is on BBC 3 in the UK tonight not sure about other countries, it will be on Sopcast though for people with that software.

redrus

Silvestre will not be returning this season, whilst Ferdinand and Vidic given the 'all clear'.

Ferguson:

"Nemanja had a small break in the cartilage in his nose and he went to hospital this [yesterday] morning to get some of the blood drained away, just a little clot. He's fine.

"Rio Ferdinand went for a scan on his ribs but he's okay."

United spokesman:

"Mikael's right shoulder required surgery to stabilise the joint.

"He will be back in training in three months."

Good news all round then....! :D:o

redrus

SMITH WANTS TO STAY

redissue

Wednesday 14th March 2007

Yorkshire lad prefers to fight for a place.

"I am not leaving, it is as simple as that.

"There has been a lot of speculation but I am going nowhere.

"I feel I am good enough to play in this team, I have always believed that. That is why I signed."

About the Cardiff loan he turned down:

"The manager gave me the option to go out on loan but I didn't want to.

"I am sure he thought it was in the best interests of both myself and the club but I told him I believed I was good enough to play in his team when I am fit and he accepted that.

"If I had gone on loan and Ole and Louis had been injured and Henrik had gone, we would have been down to one striker.

"There would have been nothing worse for me than to leave and be somewhere else when this club was short on strikers.

"I don't want to be on loan somewhere else and miss the games coming up when I feel I can be an important part of this squad."

Good lad....! :o

redrus

SAHA WAITING

redissue

Striker feeling impatient about his return.

Winning the Premiership is my obsession.

"The trophy, with that little crown on top, is magnificent. I want to win the league, and I want to beat Chelsea, with good football.

"A title would have more value this year, because the Blues have set very high standards."

About his injury problems:

"Sir Alex has brought a lot to my game and has always protected me.

"One day, after yet another injury, I went to see him in his office and I was feeling really down.

"I asked him to let me play for the reserves and he looked me in the eyes and said, `No way. Don't worry, you'll be back. I'm counting on you.' I will never forget those words.

"He is a monument. He's built the club in such a way that we've become a winning machine.

"He preaches football focused on attack, and his team talk before every game is very simple: `Enjoy the game.'"

...and

DONG HOPING FOR A BELL

Ferguson says he will he has 'some terrific attributes'

"Dong will be coming into the squad.

"He has needed a lot of hard work and we've been doing that. He's got some terrific attributes.

"He's lightning quick and has a marvellous physique. He's a very athletic boy. So he'll be added to the pool."

redrus

Edited by redrus

MORE BOOING FOR RONALDO

redissue

Middlesbrough full back joins the circus.

Emanuel Pogatetz

"Ronaldo is a very good player, (stop there :D ) he has loads of ability but I think Andrew Taylor played really well against him. He scored but it was from a penalty. He had some good runs but nothing special. I think we defended quite well against him. He can be frustrating but it was really nice for me when Julio Arca nutmegged him.

"That's what Ronaldo tries to do and it's not very nice if you try to joke around with players. I think he has such great ability but sometimes he is a little bit too much and he winds his opposition up. But what can you do about it? You have to get on with the game, but it's not very nice to see. You have to be patient against him because he has lots of tricks and he tries to wind you up. Sometimes he doesn't really move forward he just wants to show off his tricks and that's not very nice for defenders. You just have to keep your patience, try to keep him away from the goal and concentrate on your work, that's the most important thing. You have to be on your toes because if there is any chance of contact he will go down.

"Of course we missed a big chance on Saturday but we have got another one and showed that when we go at them we can create chances. We have battled through some difficult games to get to a big occasion like the United replay. Quarter-finals are the games you want to play in and there is no fear, we are all looking forward to it. Hopefully with a little bit of luck on our side we can get through to the next round. We were a bit disappointed with the result at the Riverside, especially because of the way we played in the second half. It was unusual because normally Yakubu and Mark Viduka take all of the goals and you wouldn't have had your money on them. It was great to see other players scoring, that's why it was a really good team performance."

Said it before and I'll say it again.... :D:o

redrus

Never let it said I don't post all the news 'and views'....!

Cristiano Ronaldo: World’s Best Player? You’re Having A Laugh

Posted on Wednesday, March 14th, 2007

CaughtOffside.com

Ryan isn’t convinced the Premiership’s most creepily well-groomed player is worthy of the hype (yet).

Saturday’s replay-salvaging penalty against Middlesboro saw the much-vaunted Portuguese winger score his 17th goal in all competitions in this his annus mirabilis. He’s having the season of his young career, and the propaganda machine at the self-styled ‘Theatre of Dreams’ has been wheeled out to laud him as “the best player in the World” relentlessly over the last few weeks.

A cynic might suggest that they’re trying to trump up his market valuation should the indecisive winger opt to ‘do one’ over the summer. A United fan on the other hand would only be too willing to remind us all that there’s another 10-15 games left in the season for them, which could lead to his already-impressive stats finishing up as glorified cricket scores.

That’s the problem with him, and United specifically; contrived nonsense interchanges with actual fact so often it’s hard to make out the wood for the trees. Here’s what we definitely know about him…

• 174 games for Manchester United, 43 goals. Approximately 1 goal every 4 games.

• 27 European Games, not one goal. In 4 years of Champions League football, he’s yet to score. Roy Keane had 14 for United.

• 26 League games this season, 16 goals.

• Of his 16 goals, not one has come against Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal

• In fact, he’s never scored a goal against Liverpool or Chelsea in his career

• 14 International goals, of which only 1 came at the World Cup. Against the mighty Iran. From a penalty.

• He dives.

So, he’s scored 16 goals this season (the only time he’s ever done so in his career), all of which have come against opposition outside of the Top four. He hasn’t managed one goal in the Champions League, he’s come off the back of a less-than-impressive World Cup, hasn’t won a trophy for two years, but he’s still the “best player in the World”.

Right.

The facts exemplify a staggering lack of impact on the biggest stage. Against solid, top drawer outfits and defences – he is negated time and again. The same cannot be said of Ronaldinho, Kaka, Eto’o and several others. If United are to fight on all fronts at this ‘the business end’ of the season, Ferguson will be looking for a lot more finish to the gloss in the high-end games, where chances are at a premium. Nutmegging somebody when you’re 3-0 up at home to Watford is all fair and well, replicating the trick and adding a finish to it in the Semi-Finals of a Champions League are distinctly another. He should know, he’s never done it.

Credit though, where it’s due. He’s been outstanding on occasion this season. Pace, strength, guile, and some thrillingly brilliant goals & assists. For the first time in 4 years, he seems to have added some degree of ‘end product’ to the countless stepovers, flicks, and general wastefulness – Style finally overtaking substance. When he’s in full flight, best exemplified 2 weeks ago at Anfield when he left John Arne Riise for dead, there can be few better sights to behold in the modern game. He’s Ryan Giggs at his mid-90’s best, only with two operating feet. And bar a strong case for Didier Drogba, he’ll be most people’s favourite to land the Player of the Year accolade.

Yes, he’s talented, but he falls well short of the greatness bestowed upon him by Rooney, Ferguson, and the British media. There are still damning flaws; failure to deliver on the biggest stage - be it domestically or in European competition, inconsistency, an over-bulging estimation of his own self-worth, and notably a disregard for defending, team-mates, and anything that reproaches solid ‘work’. In 45 first half-minutes against Lille he received the ball 10 times, and gave it away 9. That he walked off shaking his head as Sir Alex replaced him before the end spoke volumes.

He’s gratefully thrown himself into the marketing hype surrounding him too. Any recent search for him on YouTube offers a plethora of self-gratifying winks, nods, finger gestures, and preening. He loves it. There’s also much to be said for United PLC’s bottom line taking a boost with every hoop ‘n’ holler surrounding the lad as there is on-the-pitch glory. Eulogising him now may lead to oeuf on faces come next season should he receive the bloated contract he’s playing for, and should United’s accountants fail to get the 50 million odd they’re banking on should he decide he’s off to greener, Spanish pastures.

Just one point to make, 'the lads only 22 <deleted>....! :o

redrus

Fletcher escapes injury in crash

3:44pm today

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher escaped without injury after being involved in a car crash on Wednesday morning.

Fletcher, 23, suffered a crash in his Range Rover on Sinderland Lane near United's Carrington training ground with an Audi A3. The other driver needed medical attention for minor rib injures and an ambulance took him to Trafford General Hospital.

Police are not planning to take further action over the incident, which occurred while Fletcher was heading to training.

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2007, All Rights Reserved.

redrus

The view from Bolton's side.

Manchester United Preview

By Mark Heys - March 15 2007

Bolton Wanderers must give all they have if they are to stand any chance of beating near neighbours Manchester United at Old Trafford this Saturday lunchtime.

The Trotters have recorded memorable victories away at United in seasons gone by but the latest fixture coming up sees the Mancunians looking to record their sixth straight league victory to push themselves further ahead in the Premiership title race.

Back in October the Red Devils defeated Bolton quite convincingly thanks largely to a strong first half performance and a clinical hat trick from England striker Wayne Rooney.

It would be fair to say that Sir Alex Ferguson's team have hardly wavered since then as they still find themselves in three major competitions, including the Champions League and FA Cup.

Bolton have recorded just two league wins since the New Year began and they currently find themselves on the back of three straight defeats having lost to Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Blackburn Rovers.

Wanderers are likely to welcome back their influential striker Kevin Davies after six weeks out of action with a foot injury and defender Abdoulaye Meite will be available again after a one game ban.

United have a number of injuries for the visit of the Wanderers as goalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar, full back Patrice Evra and midfielder Darren Fletcher join strike duo Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the sidelines.

Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic where all considered to be slightly doubtful, but the trio are more than likely to play for the hosts after all.

PREMIERSHIP RECORD

16/09/1995 MANCHESTER UNITED 3 (Scholes 2, Giggs) BOLTON WANDERERS 0

25/02/1996 BOLTON WANDERERS 0 MANCHESTER UNITED 6 (Beckham, Bruce, Cole, Scholes 2, Butt)

20/09/1997 BOLTON WANDERERS 0 MANCHESTER UNITED 0

07/02/1998 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (Cole) BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (Taylor)

20/10/2001 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (Veron) BOLTON WANDERERS 2 (Nolan, Ricketts)

29/01/2002 BOLTON WANDERERS 0 MANCHESTER UNITED 4 (Solskjaer 3, Van Nistelrooy)

11/09/2002 MANCHESTER UNITED 0 BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (Nolan)

22/02/2003 BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (N'Gotty) MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (Solskjaer)

16/08/2003 MANCHESTER UNITED 4 (Giggs 2, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy) BOLTON WANDERERS 0

07/01/2004 BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (G.Neville OG) MANCHESTER UNITED 2 (Giggs, Scholes)

11/09/2004 BOLTON WANDERERS 2 (Nolan, Ferdinand) MANCHESTER UNITED 2 (Heinze, Bellion)

26/12/2004 MANCHESTER UNITED 2 (Giggs, Scholes) BOLTON WANDERERS 0

31/12/2005 MANCHESTER UNITED 4 (N'Gotty OG, Saha, Ronaldo 2) BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (Speed)

01/04/2006 BOLTON WANDERERS 1 (Davies) MANCHESTER UNITED 2 (Saha, Van Nistelrooy)

28/10/2006 BOLTON WANDERERS 0 MANCHESTER UNITED 4 (Rooney 3, Ronaldo)

PREMIERSHIP FORM GUIDE:

Played: 15

Won: 2

Drawn: 4

Lost: 9

CONNECTIONS

John Ball, Peter Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Wyn Davies, Tony Dunne, Quinton Fortune, Alan Gowling, Brian Kidd, Harry McShane, Willie Morgan, John O’Kane, Paul Wheatcroft, Bill Wrigglesworth

IT HAPPENED WHEN BOLTON PLAYED UNITED

Bolton's biggest Premiership defeat came in February 1996 at Burnden Park as United ran out 6-0 winners

Gary Pallister (Manchester United) and Nathan Blake (Bolton Wanderers) where sent off for fighting when these two sides met in September 1997. Pallister later having his caution overturned by an FA Panel

The 40th Anniversairy of the Munich Air Tragedy took place on 7th February 1998 and Bolton where the visitors to Old Trafford. Bob Taylor put the Wanderers in front with his first goal for the club since moving from West Brom but Andy Cole struck four minutes from time with a header following a defensive mix up

In October 2001 United where the ones making the defensive blunders as Wes Brown allowed Bolton's Michael Ricketts to gain a late winner at Old Trafford for the Wanderers first win there since 1978-79

Last minute blunders have proved costly for Bolton in recent years. In 2003 Ricardo Gardner gave the ball away to David Beckham who in turn crossed for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to equalise and in 2004 the same happened as Nicky Hunt allowed David Bellion to net a rare goal in a 2-2 draw

Les Ferdinand scored his only Premiership goal for Bolton against United in September 2004. Gabriel Heinze, making his United debut in that game, also found the net.

Wayne Rooney scored a hat trick for United when these two sides last met in October 2006. At the time the England striker was going through a supposed dip in form

redrus

Rio added to the list now, this season has yet more twists me feels.....! :o

INJURY UPDATES

Friday 16th March 2007

The treatment room is quite busy.

The Sun reports that Rio Ferdinand will miss crucial games for United as he has cracked a rib. Brown is expected to cover for tomorrow's game as Tweety is out for the season.

Edwin van der Sar is expected to miss the Notlob and Boro games with a calf injury.

Darren Fletcher, Ole Solskjaer and Louis Saha are all expected to be out for the next few games.

redrus

Friday 16th March 2007

The unsettling tactics continue

From the Guardian

Real Madrid have played their first cards in a game they hope will end with Cristiano Ronaldo beaming in front of the world's press, that famous white shirt in his hands. If there were any doubts that the Portuguese winger is this year's must-have player at the Santiago Bernabéu, they were blown away in time-honoured fashion yesterday with a four-page splash in the Spanish sports daily Marca, announcing that Madrid's director of football and director of marketing had given the go-ahead to sign Ronaldo "even if he costs a fortune".

Marca also claims that Ronaldo has told Madrid officials he is willing to come to the Bernabéu and that a verbal agreement is now in place. "Ronaldo," ran the paper's headline, "says yes to Madrid." All he needs to do is speak to Sir Alex Ferguson and publicly demand to leave, a step which Marca claims he will make at the end of the season. With Madrid dependent on Manchester United agreeing to sell - something that appears unlikely after the comments this week of United's chief executive, David Gill, that they wanted the winger to stay until 2012 - that pressure from Ronaldo is, the paper conceded, "the key".

The leak marks the beginning of a well worn path: the signings of Zinédine Zidane, the Brazilian Ronaldo and David Beckham were all launched through strategic leaks to the Madrid sports press, semi-official mouthpieces of the club. The plan of action is always the same: first speak to the agent, then the press, then the player and finally the player's club. This still has a long way to run but Madrid hope that they can force United's hand - and that of Ronaldo's agent, Jorge Mendes.

It is understood that Madrid have spoken to Mendes about Ronaldo's future and about that of Jose Mourinho - who is on the Bernabéu shortlist for next season and who would welcome the opportunity to work with Ronaldo - should he leave Chelsea. Mendes has told Madrid that Ronaldo would be keen on a switch to the Bernabéu and Madrid have taken those words at face value. They are keen for their fans to be aware of their approach and are now prepared to push hard in order to make the promise a reality.

Madrid's president, Ramón Calderón, is under serious pressure after a disappointing season and question marks still hang over the legitimacy of his presidency, which he won only after a judge declared all postal votes null and void. He is also desperate to erase the memory of his broken electoral pledge to sign Kaka, Cesc Fábregas and Arjen Robben by bringing in the man widely considered the best player on the world market.

However, Mendes has had similar conversations with Barcelona, who are also keen to secure the winger, and has told United that he will open negotiations over a new contract. He is prepared to deal with all three sides in order to secure the best deal for his client and it is no coincidence that this story should have broken in the wake of United's declarations that a new contract for Ronaldo was close. The message to United appears to be: don't get cocky. Perhaps someone ought to say the same to Madrid.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE

redissue

Friday 16th March 2007

Lippi believes Ronaldo's at the right club

Marcello Lippi thinks Ronaldo would be making a mistake by moving away from Manchester:

"To get to a better team or a better club would be difficult for Cristiano Ronaldo.

"He is a great player with genius and imagination and great technical skills."

redrus

I know it's a little old case, but Xavi said that Manchester United contacted his agent. MU said that they are not interested in signing him. So did MU contact his agent or not ?

I believe they may have contacted them but, as they have stated they would want Ronaldo in return no further enquiries were made. That is not gonna happen.

redrus

Edited by redrus

FOSTER WANTS UNITED RETURN

Friday 16th March 2007

He's ready to challenge VDS

Ben Foster is ready to return to United next season and fight for his place.

"I've bought a house on the outskirts of Manchester and want to settle down with the club.

"I have been told by United they are so pleased with my progress they are ready to improve my contract.

"I want to be at Old Trafford. That's my club and I'm ready to stake my claim. I want to renegotiate and settle down to focus solely on my United career."

He's come a long way in a short time.

Foster said: "My girlfriend tells me I'm the team's lucky talisman but for me it's just all been a bit unbelievable. From working as a chef for two years and not starting in professional football until I was 18 to being where I am today ...well, you have to pinch yourself.

"I'm not getting carried away by all the hype - I just want to carry on improving and if the opportunity comes along, great.

"I just want to become the best I can and the only way I can do that is to carry on my own routine. That means staying grounded. I have very good people around me who will never allow me to get carried away.

Great news as, unfortunatly Kuszack is never going to be a number 1. A good number though as, you always need one. Ben though is gonna be top.

redrus

Rossi: "Kaka dreams of pulling on United shirt"

from UnitedTalk.

On loan Manchester United forward Giuseppe Rossi has spoken of AC Milan’s superstar Kaka dreams to play for Manchester United after sharing a drink and steak dinner with the Brazilian superstar.

Now with Parma, Rossi said of his AC Milan counterpart: "Now he is among the three best players in the world. The other two would be Ronaldinho and Thierry Henry. He worked hard to get there and he will soon leave to join another more important team than AC Milan."

"It will be difficult for a team like AC Milan to keep him."

"If Manchester really want him, they will sign him. He does not have much else to do in Milan. England, in addition, is a perfect league for him."

Its a great story that but I'd give it 6 out of 10 on the truth scale. Lets hope I'm wrong :o

redrus

Manchester United 4 Bolton Wanderers 1

by Footymad

Match report for today's home win in the early kick-off versus Bolton Wanderers

Cristiano Ronaldo hiked up the value of any contract extension a little bit more with another virtuoso performance as Manchester United crushed Bolton at Old Trafford.

In a sparkling first half, the 22-year-old Portuguese made three of his side's goals in a devastating 11-minute spell.

The whole of the footballing world knows how good Ronaldo is, but this was Ronaldo at his best.

He virtually laid his side's first goal on a plate for Ji-Sung Park after 14 minutes.

Picking the ball up on the left wing just inside the Wanderers half from Wayne Rooney's header, Ronaldo raced away down the flank.

When he reached the byline, he cut across towards the penalty area and as Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim came over to meet him, Ronaldo cut the ball back to Park, who scored with a low right-foot shot from 12 yards.

If that was good, Ronaldo's part in United's second goal, three minutes later was even better.

Standing in his own penalty area, Ronaldo collected the ball, played a one-two with Rooney and set off on another surging run.

With Rooney to his left and Ryan Giggs to his right, Ronaldo kept on running through the middle until he reached the edge of the Bolton box.

Ronaldo opted then for Rooney to his left, releasing the ball to perfection and watching as the England man scored with a glorious right-foot chip, waiting until Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen was almost up to him before lifting the ball over the Finn and into the net from ten yards.

Ronaldo mesmerised Bolton's defenders for the third goal, hypnotising them as he jinked and turned before driving in a shot from 20 yards.

Jaaskelainen parried the effort as he dived across his line, but Park followed up to tuck away the rebound from close range.

Ronaldo had been off the field for four minutes when United made it 4-0 with 20 minutes to go, but ironically it was his replacement, Alan Smith, who played a key part in the goal.

Nemanja Vidic's headed clearance from the edge of the United penalty area fell to Smith midway inside his own half.

Smith looked up and played the perfect through-ball to send Rooney racing clear.

With only Jaaskelainen to beat, Rooney executed the most difficult of finishes, rocking back to smash the ball right-footed past the Bolton goalkeeper from 12 yards and into the top corner of the net.

Bolton scored their consolation effort from the penalty spot three minutes from time.

Vidic was adjudged to have lent on Abdoulaye Faye in the United box and Gary Speed dispatched the penalty left-footed - the shot being partially stopped by goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak before going through his legs and into the net.

The only dark cloud for United was Gary Neville's eighth minute injury - the England defender limping off after falling badly in his attempt to clear the ball from Speed.

Neville suffered ligament damage to his right ankle and will be out for three weeks, missing England's next two European Championship Qualifiers.

redrus

I know it's a little old case, but Xavi said that Manchester United contacted his agent. MU said that they are not interested in signing him. So did MU contact his agent or not ?

I believe they may have contacted them but, as they have stated they would want Ronaldo in return no further enquiries were made. That is not gonna happen.

redrus

I have one more question about Xavi. He says that MU contacted his agent. MU later say that they are not interested in him. So why would United say that they don't want him if they contacted his agent ?

For the reasons stated above.

I believe, if Xavi was to leave Barca for United, they would want Ronaldo in return.

This is not going to happen, why swap an exellent (Xavi) player for, in my opinion the best in the world at the moment (Ronaldo).

Therefore, United are 'not interested' in doing any business....!

redrus

VIEWS FROM THE BROADSHEETS

Sunday 18th March 2007

'It's a stroll for Park as Ronaldo pulls the strings'

THE INDIE

Just champion. Manchester United's ninth Premiership title in 15 seasons is moving ever closer and yesterday there was little that Chelsea, let alone Bolton Wanderers in such feeble form, could do to prevent it. Hearts must have sunk in west London as the goals flew in early, just as they had done when United visited the Reebok in October. Wayne Rooney, scorer of a hat-trick that day, shared yesterday's four with Ji-Sung Park, the first three being made by Cristiano Ronaldo in another astonishing display of virtuosity.

With tomorrow's FA Cup replay against Middlesbrough in mind, Sir Alex Ferguson was able to take Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs off long before the end; indeed, he scarcely needed to send on replacements, so demoralised were the visitors. The one negative was an ankle ligament injury suffered by Gary Neville, who will be out for three weeks, missing England's European Championship tie in Israel on Saturday. Wes Brown came on as substitute and may have to be called into the squad now that Manchester City's Micah Richards is doubtful.

Grim as it was for England's head coach to watch his most experienced defender being helped down the tunnel after eight minutes, he must have been encouraged by the appalling performance of Israel's centre-half Tal Ben Haim, who may well be up against Rooney again in Tel Aviv. For Bolton the minuses were too many to tot up. Virtually the only passion came from bickering among themselves; a slight improvement in the second half once Sam Allardyce took up glowering guard in the technical area and United easing off brought no more than a mysterious late penalty converted by Gary Speed.

"Are you City in disguise?" the crowd were soon asking, which in these parts is as insulting as it is possible to be. For the neutral it is a little depressing that a team in Bolton's current state should be sitting so comfortably in fifth place in the Premiership, albeit with no chance of catching the usual top four. This was a fourth successive defeat in all competitions, shipping 13 goals in the process and Allardyce was forced to admit: "I can't understand the team conceding three goals from our own dead-ball situations. I'm angry with them not getting those things right. We're a side that has to get the basics right. I thought Ronaldo was stoppable if we wanted to." Such optimism.

THE OBSERVER

If this is the way that Cristiano Ronaldo intends to conduct his contract negotiations, Manchester United might as well give in gracefully and show him the money.

Sir Alex Ferguson has just indicated a willingness to make him the club's best-paid player and Ronaldo turned in the sort of virtuoso performance that amply backed his case. Critics have pointed out recently that Ronaldo offers more style than substance and actually delivers surprisingly little, but in this mood, even if the going rate is £140,000 a week, he is worth it.

Ronaldo played only 70 minutes before Ferguson brought him off to a fully deserved standing ovation. He had laid on all three of the goals that wrapped up the points for United in the first half-hour, overshadowed excellent performances by Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs, and bemused Bolton throughout with his pace, poise and trickery. Just about the only thing he did wrong was miss an open goal from Gabriel Heinze's cross at the start of the second half, though it took an alert save from Jussi Jaaskelainen to deny him just before he was withdrawn.

Bolton were the opponents when Ronaldo made his United debut, on the first day of the 2003-04 season when Old Trafford was still wondering how the void left by David Beckham could ever be filled. The Portugal winger answered that question immediately, because supporters leaving the ground skipped over the memory of Beckham and began wondering if they had just seen the new George Best. Though then as now it was advisable not to get too carried away by anything achieved against Bolton.

Sam Allardyce's team might be fifth and widely regarded as difficult to play against, though United - 4-0 winners at the Reebok before Christmas - rarely seem to have any bother. Allardyce has just described his team as soft and after a first half in which they looked more like stooges for the Harlem Globetrotters every time Ronaldo received the ball, the Bolton manager did not hide his disappointment. 'We cannot match United for quality, we have to play a percentage game and we have to get the basics right,' Allardyce said. 'We failed to do that. We conceded three goals from our own dead-ball situations and that is just suicide. I can't believe we spent two weeks preparing for that game and then gifted them three goals. That's just embarrassing and it's not what we are about.'

United brought on Alan Smith for Ronaldo, which hardly seemed fair to a player struggling for touch, form and confidence, but though the substitute was unable to get among the goals he did manage to make the fourth for Rooney with an excellent pass. Rooney controlled it and outmuscled the cover to make a shooting opportunity, then comprehensively beat Jaaskelainen with what can only be described as a thumping finish. Bolton pulled a late goal back when Nemanja Vidic was adjudged to have pushed Abdoulaye Faye, Gary Speed converting the penalty, but no one was fooled.

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

Depending on which newspaper you read, Cristiano Ronaldo has sworn his heart to Real Madrid or Barcelona in the summer or possibly Inter Milan or has, indeed, already agreed a £28 million golden handcuffs deal that will keep him at Manchester United for another five years.

Although his royal command performance here will have given him more potential suitors than Princes William and Harry, you can probably put your castle on the last option since if Ronaldo even thinks of leaving, he is likely to find a red-faced Glaswegian blocking the Old Trafford exit.

Never mind the golden handcuffs. It is doubtful whether Bolton would have been able to keep his skipping feet still if they had brought a set of leg irons with them. Ronaldo may still find it impossible to wean himself off the stepovers but these days, they are more likely to be the prelude to a deadly strike or pass rather than bringing groans from supporters.

Having already served up the opening two goals on a silver salver before the game had reached 20 minutes, Ronaldo stood on the edge of the Bolton box crossing his feet over the ball in front of three defenders, mesmerising them like mice in front of a snake, and three blind mice at that. Then, the left foot whipped out for a strike that an equally hypnotised Jussi Jaaskelainen spilled to the feet of Ji-Sung Park.

Park had been the beneficiary of an impudent Ronaldo cut back from the byline for the opening goal. That was just his own warm-up for the main act of the day, a driving run from inside his own half after United cleared a Bolton corner, an exchange of passes with Wayne Rooney before the killer ball that Rooney chipped over Jaaskelainen.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, amongst others, really must have a word with United's Sir Alex Ferguson about the secret of beating Bolton because while the latter are the scourge of so many Premiership teams, United have now beaten them seven times out of eight. And this was the fourth occasion on that run that they have scored four.

Wenger could also learn something from United's goalscoring panache. Arsenal may be regarded as the best football-playing team in the country yet United, who can float like butterflies equally well, also have a deadly sting at the end of their moves.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce described this defeat as "embarrassing", though he also rather ungenerously claimed that his side had gifted the points to United.

SUNDAY TIMES

Those purists who say that Arsenal play the most attractive football in the Premiership need to revise their convictions after the display put on by Manchester United at Old Trafford yesterday.

While the technique of Arsene Wenger's side is difficult to match when they are in full flow, the Premiership leaders played with such outrageous flair at times that it was easy to see why an overwhelming number of neutrals want them to win the two-horse race for the Premiership.

United's second goal - scored by Wayne Rooney and created by Cristiano Ronaldo - ranks as one of the best seen at this ground for many years. Rooney was in imperious form, but it was Ronaldo's display that took the breath away, the Portugal international running Bolton ragged and producing three stunning assists before he was withdrawn halfway through the second half.

The only sour note for the Premiership leaders was that Gary Neville left the field after seven minutes with an ankle ligament injury and is expected to be out for three weeks, which also rules him out of England's European Championship qualifiers against Israel on Saturday and Andorra the following Wednesday. Ronaldo's future at Old Trafford continues to be the subject of speculation, with both Real Madrid and Barcelona reportedly on his trail, though Sir Alex Ferguson afterwards rejected any suggestion that the winger's form was aimed at impressing his potential suitors. "He's been brilliant all season. He gives his all in every game," said Ferguson. "There's going to be speculation. Every year at election time Real Madrid and Barcelona do this."

Ronaldo's contribution to United's second goal will live long in the memory. From a Bolton corner he collected the ball in his own penalty area, controlled in an instant and played a 20-yard ball to the feet of Rooney. The England striker merely played the ball two yards square of him and Ronaldo was on to it in an instant, running the ball at incredible pace deep into Bolton's half. Rooney was somehow able to keep pace with him and Ronaldo played him in on Jussi Jaaskelainen with a perfectly weighted ball.

As if realising the perfection of the movement, Rooney seemed to want to produce the perfect finish and he did so, waiting for Jaaskelainen to go to ground before he lifted the ball over the goalkeeper with the deftest of touches. Wilf McGuinness, the former Manchester United coach and manager during a time when Best, Law and Charlton were in their pomp, said it was a goal up there with the best he had seen at Old Trafford. That was game over after 17 minutes, Ronaldo having already set up the first goal three minutes previously with an outrageous run along the deadball line. With Tal Ben Haim backing off, not for the first time, Ronaldo set off on a charge that looked like it might end with him colliding with Jaaskelainen's right-hand post. Instead at the last second, he pulled the ball back beautifully for Ji-Sung Park to whack the ball home.

Ferguson, Ronaldo, Allardyce

Ronaldo:

"We finished the game in the first half and that's good because we have another game in two days. There's no time to rest, but England is like that. You need to keep going and keep winning."

"It's fantastic. I think I play for the team and I do good assistance for the goals.

"This is what I try to do every game, I try to score goals and try to assist my colleagues, and today I'm happy for that.

"This season I am more mature, I think, and the team I help as well.

"When the team wins, you feel more confident and this is what happens at the moment.

"I feel good, it's great for Manchester United and I want to keep going like that."

Ferguson:

"The determination they've shown gives us a great chance of the title.

"It emphasises the confidence of the team that they weren't deterred even by the injury to Gary Neville, which is a bad blow for us. Cristiano's had an incredible season and his combination with Wayne Rooney for the second goal was tremendous.

"We have played some of our best football of the season against Bolton this season.

"Bolton have worked hard. But what worried them was the quality of our goals. The combination between Ronaldo and Rooney for the second was absolutely magnificent.

"It was a really top performance and Bolton could not do anything about it."

About Ronaldo:

"He's been incredible all season, he's given his all in every game.

"The combination between Ronaldo and Rooney for the second goal was tremendous, the weight of the pass was perfect, but that's what he's all about. There's bound to be speculation about his future, we expect that and we know what Real Madrid and Barcelona are up to, but he's happy here and we are confident he will stay."

Allardyce:

"Ronaldo is stoppable if you want to try - but we didn't.

"I saw Lille double up on him a week ago and restrict him to very little. In general play we were okay but at our set pieces we didn't bother to stop him running.

"We looked fearful and just didn't see where the danger lay.

"If Manchester United use their extra talent to beat us, I will accept that. But they did not have to do that today. We gave them three of their four goals."

More:

"Scars? "I will need a plastic surgeon to sort that lot out."

redrus

HARGREAVES MAKES IT CLEAR

Sunday 18th March 2007

United target Owen Hargreaves: "United are the only team I want to join. They have invested so much time and energy in me."

Quoted in the Screws:

"It's very rare to see a transfer drag on like this.

"A football team is a puzzle with different pieces and and you need to find the right pieces and the right mix.

"United believe I am the final piece in their puzzle and that is an honour for me.

"It has been a difficult political situation. My position is very different and I couldn't compare it to any other player.

"It is not as though I am chasing money in Greece or Spain. There is a reason for me wanting to join United - I play for England and my family are from the north west.

"I love Bayern Munich. I have grown up in Germany but I'm the only England player never to have played in England and Manchester United want to take me home.

"That prospect is a dream, especially when you look at the United team and the football they play.

"Once you are with the club you are connected with them for life."

...and the same from Sky..

Owen Hargreaves claims Manchester United are the only club for him after the Old Trafford club's covetous pursuit of the Bayern Munich midfielder.

United first moved for Hargreaves in the wake of the player's impressive performances for England at last summer's World Cup but their enquiries were rebuffed by Bayern.

Despite receiving little encouragement and a lot of hostility from the German giants, Sir Alex Ferguson has never hid his admiration for Hargreaves - a stance that has not gone unnoticed by the player.

Reports claim United will again test Bayern's resolve in the summer and Hargreaves, who has been laid low for much of this season with a broken leg, admits a move to the Premiership would be a dream.

"United are the only team I want to join," he told the News of the World.

"They have invested so much time and energy in me.

"It's very rare to see a transfer drag on like this.

"A football team is a puzzle with different pieces and and you need to find the right pieces and the right mix.

"United believe I am the final piece in their puzzle and that is an honour for me."

Hargreaves admits his open desire to play for Manchester United has put him at loggerheads with Bayern.

"It has been a difficult political situation. My position is very different and I couldn't compare it to any other player," said Hargreaves.

"It is not as though I am chasing money in Greece or Spain. There is a reason for me wanting to join United - I play for England and my family are from the north west.

"I love Bayern Munich. I have grown up in Germany but I'm the only England player never to have played in England and Manchester United want to take me home."

redrus

Nice one Pups. I liked this,

zoobee (1 day ago)

I'm a Liverpool fan and George Best transcends the rivalry I feel for that club -- he truly was genius, the only player from these isles to ever truly deserve that description, and that he retired so early and didnt play in a World Cup makes his genius seem slightly sad and tragic --- but even then he shone like the brightest star. Rest in Peace George.

I'm not sure all of em would agree but, that there's one gives us al hope... :o

Manchester United head chase for Sampdoria star

08:33 March, 19, 2007

Fabio Quagliarella is being strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford

European scout Martin Ferguson was a keen observer at Sampdoria's recent game against Palermo, with the 23-year-old striker the main focus of his interest.

Quagliarella has played for a number of clubs already in his short career but hhas really made an impact since joining Sampdoria last summer and was on the verge of a call-up to the Italian national side in February before their friendly with Romania was cancelled.

and, this from all3points.co.uk,

United line up £40 million striker

19th March 2007

By Staff Writer

Manchester United are lining up new Spurs hero Dimitar Berbatov for an end of season switch to Old Trafford.

According to the News of the World, Sir Alex Ferguson will look to swoop if Spurs fail to agree a new deal for the player that reflects his new status at the club.

Berbatov still has 3 years on his current deal to run, but with Spurs keen to hold onto the hitman, they will be looking to offer him improved terms to lengthen his stay.

The same strategy was applied to Aaron Lennon, Robbie Keane and Michael Dawson who were all offered significantly better contracts despite having considerable time left on their original deals.

Any sign of wavering from Berbatov will be treated by Ferguson as a sign that a deal could be on with Spurs not wanting to lose their most prized asset on a free.

The paper claims that Spurs value Berbatov at around £40 million.

redrus