Manchester United

redrus

The Thread of Champions

From The Independent...: :o

Ferguson watches 'in agony' as Chelsea battle before ceding title to United

True to form Chelsea did not surrender the Premiership title to Manchester United last night, even when a goal and a man down, but it was finally wrested from their grasp after the outgoing champions were unable to take more than a point from Arsenal at the Emirates.

Sir Alex Ferguson, United's manager, celebrated by dispelling any suggestion that he might now retire, in glory, having ended a three-year wait for his ninth title. Jose Mourinho, Chelsea's manager, responded by stating that he was ready to resume combat on 9 July, when Chelsea report for pre-season training, adding that he just wished the new season began today.

Whether Mourinho is allowed to take his place on the playing fields of Cobham is another matter but his team's spirited resistance at Arsenal spoke volumes for his bond with his players. Most of them, at least. In his summing up of the season's endeavours he appeared to indicate that some of his players had not bought into the team's all-for-one, one-for-all, ethic.

Mourinhologists might also interpret his praise for all those who helped United's success "the manager, the players, the fans, the board" as a dig at the lack of support he received from his own board when Chelsea suffered a mid-season injury crisis. Mourinho did say that his team would offer United a guard of honour when they come to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday in a match which began to change its billing from "title decider" to "FA Cup final warm-up" after 42 minutes at the Emirates. That is when Khalid Boulahrouz was dismissed, and conceded a penalty, for hauling down Salomon Kalou. Gilberto Silva converted the kick and though Michael Essien levelled with 20 minutes left the 10 men were unable to force the victory they required to keep the title race alive.

"My heart was in my mouth," said Ferguson, who, having first said that he would go to Spain to watch Gerard Pique, who is on loan from United to Real Zaragoza, then suggested he would play golf, ultimately could not resist turning on the television. "I did watch some of it. First I went to watch my grandson play football. He had a league decider and they won so it has been a great league double. I then watched the racing on television and then I had nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs. I decided to watch the final 15 minutes and it was agony. Chelsea were fantastic during the second half, credit to them."

Ferguson added: "It is a fantastic day for the club and the supporters. It has been a great season for us. I think all the titles are great, but maybe the fact that for two years Chelsea dominated the Premier League and we had a big job to do to catch them makes this one special. Some years ago I had an obsession with winning in Europe, but I think that's been overtaken by winning the Premier League. To win it is a big achievement. It's the priority." Then Ferguson added: "But I do wish we'd got to the Champions League final in Athens."

The 66-year-old Scot, United's manager for 20 seasons, said: "The easiest thing in the world would have been to retire, but with the history and expectation of this club and the young players I have to work with why would I want to. After I did announce my retirement I regretted it almost immediately. What is fantastic is knowing I have such brilliant young players to work with, and other experienced ones like Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville who keep on giving me everything. I had every right to change my mind. I don't know how long I'll last now, but I'm enjoying it."

Mourinho was also looking ahead. "I am ready for next season, it is a pity it does not start tomorrow," he said. "I am more proud of my team this season than in the two seasons we won the title. When a team has a lot of success, and loses the championship, it is normally because the commitment, the ambition, is not the same. Then you blame yourself. This was the opposite. They are heroes."

And The Guardian... :o

United triumph built on protection and poise

Alex Ferguson has built a new side with added resilience to United's traditional verve.

Manchester United have grasped the Premiership title and handed everyone else a lesson. Sir Alex Ferguson is now free to jeer at all of us who thought it inconceivable for his side to be champions this year. The only thing that may nudge him towards benevolence is the satisfaction at building a new team fit to prosper even in the era of Roman Abramovich. Chelsea were vanquished in the Premiership, with many of their distraught players doubled up with grief as full-time came in the Emirates yesterday.

It has taken a lot to inflict misery on such a scale and Ferguson has needed to forge a side like no other in his 21-year tenure at Old Trafford. In one respect, it is superior to all its predecessors. If United were to get the better of Chelsea Ferguson had to develop a line-up which had an enhanced resilience while retaining its trademark verve. That balance is measured in their goal difference, and the club can make history there.

The figure currently stands at 57, equalling the Premiership record established by Chelsea in 2005. Should United win their two remaining fixtures, a new benchmark will have been set. No one should follow football merely to practise their arithmetic, but it is the crunch of these numbers that chewed up Chelsea's hopes of a third consecutive championship.

United have learned how to protect themselves - in the domestic arena at least. For all the rightful pride that Jose Mourinho takes in Petr Cech, John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho, Ferguson's stringent defence has been breached only three times more than Chelsea's in the league. Since 2005, it has been kitted out with a new goalkeeper, Edwin van der Sar, a new centre-half in Nemanja Vidic, and a new left-back, Patrice Evra.

There has been an improved security at the moments when United needed it most. For many people, the conviction that the Premiership would go to Old Trafford hardened at the start of March when John O'Shea's last-minute goal brought an undeserved 1-0 victory at Anfield. That outcome was fortunate, but a team also has to stay in contention so that a piece of good luck is of benefit. While Liverpool had dominated, chances were scarce.

There will be fewer plaudits for United's clean sheet on Saturday since Manchester City have a gummy forward line and could not convert a penalty which was ludicrously awarded to them, but this derby fixture has pained Ferguson in the past and his men were wobbly after the rout in Milan.

Though victories have come in different shapes and sizes the flow of them has been steady. United have depended on flair and pace far superior to any of their opponents and it would have been depressing if there had been no prize for such a crowd-pleasing philosophy. In truth, the campaign surely went better than Ferguson himself could have dreamed.

The manager was entitled to anticipate improvement from Cristiano Ronaldo, who has only ever needed to learn that his tricks must have a purpose. The recent revival of Wayne Rooney's form after the broken metatarsal and the wider hurt of the 2006 World Cup could also have been foreseen. Ferguson, though, will have experienced a gleeful surprise at seeing the resurgence of his veterans.

There had been doubts about Paul Scholes, 32, who had, in effect, to write off the second half of last season with an eye problem that kept him out from the end of December until a token comeback as a substitute in May. Who could have envisaged he would start 29 of the 36 Premiership games United have played this season? More than that, the midfielder was a contender for the footballer of the year award until he began to flag slightly.

Then there is Ryan Giggs. Ferguson adopted an elagaic tone after United had won the 2004 FA Cup final against Millwall, wondering how many wingers had ever run so hard over so many years. There appeared to be an implication that the Welshman would be put out to grass before long. It is amazing therefore that Giggs, 33, continues to be a thoroughbred on the turf.

He may not race around quite so much but he generally takes up a narrower role in the system and his passing has been sharper, as it was for instance, in the through ball for Rooney's decider in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final with Milan.

That was also one of the frequent occasions when Ferguson has fielded a single striker. It is a tactic that has been to the fore in his mind since 2000 and the crowd have often been on the verge of revolt as they watched a defanged United.

The 4-2-3-1 system can be stodgy indeed, but the intention is to let dangerous players find space and break at speed from deeper positions. The trick is to find the right indivduals who can be relied on not to clutter up the middle of the pitch. United have them in Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes and Giggs.

Roma, on the end of a 7-1 drubbing, can confirm the impact of the strategy at its best. The consequences have been remarkable in the Premiership since there is no particular centre-forward associated with United's triumph. While Louis Saha and Alan Smith missed many fixtures through injury others, such as Henrik Larsson and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provided valuable cameos, but Ferguson's line-up overwhelmed the competition with goals from all angles and departments.

The methods have had a tweak or two, but United have recovered the title while staying true to their tradition of vivacious football. Success in this manner is good for the Premiership and many people will smile as Old Trafford celebrates on Sunday.

The Sun.... :o

Fergie's best title of them all

THIS title win will go down as Alex Ferguson’s greatest ever.

Better than the first in 1993 which opened the floodgates or the comeback of all comebacks against Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle in 1996.

Even the one which kicked off the Treble in 1999 should be eclipsed by this.

Why? Because this one was simply not supposed to happen.

Not after the Arsenal ‘Invincibles’ had eclipsed United with a 38-game unbeaten triumph in 2004.

Or after Chelsea had begun what looked like a new age of dominance in 2005, then so easily retained their title the following season.

The first time Chelsea eclipsed third-placed United by 18 points and then last year by eight.

Having taken Liverpool’s mantle as English football’s undisputed dominant force, it looked like United were following them into a cycle of decline.

But while their old enemies are still searching for the route back to the top after last lifting the title in 1990, United have rebuilt and hit back.

Perhaps only Ferguson himself really believed they could do it.

Right from the very start, he said he had faith in this team.

Last summer, the Old Trafford boss said: “I look to the coming season with every confidence.

“This season, after three years without the championship, poses a particular challenge. I am sure they will measure up.”

And measure up they have with stunning free-flowing attacking football reminiscent of their most glorious of glory days.

From a 5-1 opening-day trouncing of Fulham, they ripped through the season with stunning goal-filled football.

Players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney came of age and the experienced pros like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes found a new lease of life.

But for Ferguson the key to this triumph was the way his hungry side shot out the blocks — just as Chelsea and Arsenal had done in the previous three seasons.

He said: “It was imperative we made a good start and didn’t allow anyone to break away.

“We didn’t want to be in a position of playing catch-up for the rest of the campaign.

“We achieved this target despite injuries to players.

“It was in this early period that it was confirmed for me that some of the younger players had made the progress I was looking for and that we had quality in depth.

“So we were up and running and playing some great attacking football.

“Penetrating, exciting and entertaining, while still keeping it tight at the back with a much improved solidity and concentration in defence.

“Our opening to the campaign sent out the right kind of message — especially to our rivals.

“They realised that they were perhaps not going to have things all their own way again and that we intended to pose a real challenge.”

United won their opening four Premiership games, scoring 11 goals in the process and conceding only two.

Those who questioned Fergie’s decision to sell Dutch superstar striker Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid were immediately converted.

Here was a player who had plundered a quite incredible 150 goals in just 200 starts for the Old Trafford side.

Ferguson admitted: “I have always admired his scoring skills and I think everyone must have wondered how we would manage without the kind of goal tally that he has contributed for us every season.

“But I was pretty confident that we would still pose a goalscoring threat.

“The goals have been spread right throughout the team.

“The form of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo has been tremendous.

“They have got their goals between them without even being a proper partnership like Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were.”

While Yorke and Cole hit 53 as a strike pairing in the Treble-winning side of 1999, Ronaldo and Rooney stand on 46 with 23 goals each and three games of United’s 2006-07 campaign remaining.

United’s early flourish was briefly dented by their only home defeat of the season — and 1-0 to Arsenal as well — on September 17.

That was then followed by a disappointing 1-1 draw at newly-promoted Reading.

But throughout this season, every time United suffered a setback they recovered in style.

In a blistering purple patch, they won their next seven games — scoring 17 goals and conceding only two — before the visit of defending champions Chelsea.

Ferguson commented at the time: “The platform is there, the curtain’s up and I am sure the performers are ready.”

Chelsea arrived three points behind United and chasing for once — just as they would for the rest of the season.

United could only draw but they won their next three before another test came after a shock 1-0 defeat at West Ham.

The response was instant. Fergie’s side reeled off four wins and a draw in their next five outings, hitting an incredible 14 goals in the process.

They would lose only twice more in the Premiership — at Arsenal and Portsmouth — before sealing the title.

Almost everyone else in their path was destroyed, with the Reds hitting four against Watford, Tottenham, Bolton, for a second time, and Blackburn.

The odd setback, like that at Portsmouth, never altered Ferguson’s unwavering belief in his players’ ability to win the Premiership back.

He said: “I trust them, especially when they have had a setback, because they have the character to pick themselves up and deliver the right response.”

In the middle of the season after a potentially crushing late defeat at the Emirates, Ferguson felt more convinced than ever the title was coming back.

He said: “We will have to be strong and simply make sure that we are in fact stronger than any of the others. And I believe we are.”

Indeed, they have been and richly deserving of a ninth Premiership title.

And finally...Matt Dickinson in "The Times"... :o

Ferguson still able to inspire

THE TRIUMPHANT JIGS DO NOT GET any more graceful and, last night, Sir Alex Ferguson managed to spill champagne down the front of his trousers in the excitement of reclaiming the Premiership title. But there was style where it mattered, on the pitch, from Manchester United this season, which is one of the reasons why this title came with a grudging respect from fans of Arsenal and Liverpool – perhaps even Chelsea.

United’s success is normally accompanied by a deep-rooted envy, but this will be one of their more popular triumphs. It helps that they no longer have the monopoly of the 1990s and that Chelsea have usurped them as the team everyone loves to hate. United’s ambition, presumably, is to reclaim that status, although with José Mourinho planning to hang around, it may take a few years.

Only one of Ferguson’s remarkable nine championships has been confirmed by a United victory at their Old Trafford home, but his players will not have given a hoot about the circumstances of their coronation as they let their hair down in Manchester last night, toasting a first title since 2002-03.

A first championship medal for Wayne Rooney, 21, and Cristiano Ronaldo, 22, must be a sweet feeling, but so, too, for Ryan Giggs, who was winning his ninth. Imagine the satisfaction for Gary Neville, who will lift the trophy on Sunday, a United fan’s dream turned to reality.

This was the party that no one had predicted when the Glazer family took over, when Roman Abramovich arrived with his roubles, when Ferguson appeared to be losing his judgment in what can be described as the Djemba-Djemba years. (Eric, incidentally, is on loan to Burnley from Aston Villa).

It was the party that few were predicting last summer, when Ruud van Nistelrooy departed and Michael Carrick appeared an expensive addition. The £18.6 million signing from Tottenham Hotspur was hardly the new Roy Keane. At the same time, Chelsea had splurged on Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, but while most believed that they could only make Chelsea stronger, one senior Old Trafford figure had the foresight to welcome the captain of Germany and one of the world’s top strikers. “I hope they sign Roberto Carlos, too, and Adriano,” he said. He had foreseen the imbalance, although no one could anticipate the serious injuries to Petr Cech, John Terry and Joe Cole – to name only the most significant – that would seriously undermine Chelsea.

United were thankful for the champions dropping their standards, but they also raised theirs and no one should dispute that they are worthy champions.

They are not the best Ferguson vintage by a long way – central midfield and centre forward are obvious areas for improvement, while Edwin van der Sar has wobbled– but they have been consistent as well as, in the words of Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, showing the “most offensive efficiency”. You do not win points for style, but you risk losing them if you cannot break teams down, as Chelsea’s wingless creation did – particularly with three draws in succession in recent weeks. United began the season with a 5-1 victory over Fulham and, while they do not bully opponents as did the first and best United title-winners of Bruce, Cantona, Ince and Hughes, they outscored their rivals comprehensively.

There is plenty of room for improvement and it should be remembered that their success comes only a few days after they were embarrassed by AC Milan in the Champions League semi-finals. There will be dark moods in Ferguson’s retirement if he cannot add a second Champions League medal and filling that gaping hole in his CV will take on even more pressing urgency now he has reclaimed the domestic crown. His record does not inspire confidence.

As long as he fails to add a second Champions League trophy, questions will be asked of him, but what everyone must acknowledge today is that, even at 65, he can inspire young, indulged and cosseted millionaires and encourage them to play the game the way we all like to watch it.

Keane was thrown out of Old Trafford for challenging the emperor, but he recently spoke of Ferguson’s brilliant, instinctive leadership. “I’d feel in my bones at United what the team might need on a certain day and I’d have to say he was usually spot on,” Keane said in a recent interview. “He came in and gave what was needed, sometimes what we would need to be relaxed, sometimes we’d need a bit of a gee-up.”

That understanding of what makes his players tick has helped to turn Ronaldo into one of the world’s most exciting talents and it was fitting that he should have the crucial say in United’s victory over City on Saturday. Michael Ball stamped on him, but the one-time show pony got up, fooled the full back into a trip and scored the winning penalty.

Soon after came the celebrations. The United players knew that the title was theirs and, when the door to the away team’s dress-ing-room opened on Saturday, out came a blast of Good Vibrations. The title party had started. Last night it reached full swing.

Edited by muckypups

Thanks for the good wishes Kopite.. and good luck in Athens, I mean that too, I think you have a better chance of besting Milan than we ever did.. and I love to see English clubs succeed in Europe.. :o

From The Guardian..

Ferguson gives Glazers £50m wish list

Sir Alex Ferguson, basking in the glory of his ninth Premiership title, has asked the Glazer family to finance an extensive recruitment programme to help Manchester United maintain their superiority over Chelsea next season. "We have identified three targets," said Ferguson, who wants in the region of £50m to spend this summer.

United have already begun negotiations with Sporting Lisbon for the Portugal international winger Nani, regarded as the brightest young player in the country. Owen Hargreaves, the England midfielder, is expected to join from Bayern Munich despite the two clubs as yet being unable to agree a fee, and United also have a longstanding interest in Southampton's left-back Gareth Bale. Ferguson's success in recruiting those three players will determine whether he goes in for another striker. He is an admirer of Dimitar Berbatov and considered bidding for the Bulgarian before his transfer from Bayer Leverkusen to Tottenham last summer.

Ferguson expects Roman Abramovich to flex his financial muscle at the end of the season and he is asking the Glazers to do the same. "I expect Arsenal to add to their squad, Liverpool to add to their squad and certainly Chelsea will," he said. "We have three targets and the club's owners are aware of who I want. David Gill [the chief executive] is aware too. There is competition for the best players and, if there is competition, they will cost."

United have been reminded of that in their negotiations for Hargreaves and are becoming increasingly frustrated by Bayern's refusal to lower their valuation. "Everyone thinks it is a done deal but you may be surprised," a leading source at Old Trafford said last night. "They are asking for a ridiculous amount of money. It's not certain at all. They want 20-odd million pounds and it's ridiculous."

Despite describing the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy as "not a big decision at all," Ferguson is still on the lookout for another striker. He is exasperated by Louis Saha's injury problems and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Alan Smith are considered only back-up options. "You look through the world and say to yourself: 'where are all the strikers?' There are not a lot of them going around, believe me."

The task of overhauling Chelsea was, in Ferguson's words, his "biggest achievement" in 20 years as United's manager and he toasted the occasion with champagne at the club's training ground yesterday. Ferguson said he expected both Abramovich and Jose Mourinho still to be at Stamford Bridge next season but he had a warning for them. "I don't think we have an easy task but I do think this team will get better and if they stay together it will give them a real chance," he said.

Ferguson, who will recall the goalkeeper, Ben Foster, from his loan spell at Watford, is wary of losing potential transfer targets to Chelsea. Arjen Robben, Mikel John Obi, Michael Ballack and Michael Essien have all turned down moves to Old Trafford because they could earn more at Stamford Bridge and Ferguson believes there is a definite trend of Chelsea trying to gazump them in the transfer market.

"We are always an attraction for new players because we have 76,000 watching us every week and this club has a celebrity status throughout the world. However, the real competition comes when you have to pay £27m for Essien. Chelsea can do that. We are trying to identify players as quietly as we can so we can do the deals as quickly, and as quietly, as we can."

Resilient Ronaldo

Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday reserved special acclaim for Cristiano Ronaldo and warned Premiership defenders that the Portuguese winger could not be intimidated. Disgusted by Michael Ball's stamp on Ronaldo on Saturday, which could result in a disciplinary charge today, he praised the Footballer of the Year's composure."I didn't know the full extent of it until seeing it on TV . . . I couldn't believe it," said Ferguson. "But Ronaldo was never going to disappear from the game. It is a quality that the greatest players - Pele, Eusebio, Cruyff - have all had. You see some of the tackles on George Best - that one by Chopper Harris that almost cut in him in half - he rode them and rolled the ball in the net. It is a great example of a great player. And Ronaldo is like that."

Funny IMO..from The Guardian... :o

How will Blues honour champions?

Two years ago when Chelsea went to Old Trafford having already clinched the Premiership title United's players formed a guard of honour to salute the champions. Chelsea have promised to return the gesture when United take the field at Stamford Bridge tomorrow night. But what else might they do?

6pm Arrival of coach

Chelsea Pensioners line up to distribute gifts of Russian nesting dolls to team on disembarkation of bus

6.15pm Enter dressing room

United find gift of man-eating Russian bear in dressing room and a special hearth installed for players to throw discarded shot glasses of vodka into

6.30pm United players go on to pitch

Where they find Jose Mourinho making address begging for the medal he threw to the crowd last year to be returned as keepsake

6.45pm The team sheets go in

Mourinho knocks on dressing room door to ask whereabouts of Stephen Hunt and Andriy Shevchenko, 'the men who won you the title'

6.55pm The team-talk begins

John Obi Mikel found loitering outside United's dressing room declaiming 'What have I done?'

7pm Warm-up begins

Waiters bearing silver salvers offer United players blinis, caviar and deeds to Russian state industries

7.10pm David Gill enters boardroom

Peter Kenyon greets his former colleague with masterclass on how to grin when you win

7.25pm Roman Abramovich arrives

The club's owner pays a visit to the away dressing room to garland the champions with celery

7.35pm In the tunnel

Chelsea find use for Steve Clarke - he gives players quick recap from his playing career on how to lose graciously

7.40pm Chelsea form honour guard

Chelsea's players metaphorically hand over the title and a unique presentation is made by Lord Attenborough to Sir Alex Ferguson - a gift-wrapped Khalid Boulahrouz

An interview with Fergie also from The Guardian...:

'This has to be the club's greatest achievement'

Sir Alex Ferguson marked his ninth Premiership title with an interview yesterday. Daniel Taylor reports

What does all this mean to you?

It's a great achievement. The last two or three years I've been saying to myself: "Crikey me, you need 90 or 91 points to win this league now." That's a hel_l of a title as opposed to when we first won it in 1993 [with 84 points]. We had one year, 2000, when we won it with 91 but it's a hel_l of a target. We've got 88 already and it's possible we can get 94.

Did it affect you over the last three years when people have questioned you and whether you could do this?

I'm experienced enough to know that's the way of the game. If you're not doing well at this club you are going to be criticised. We have had to make big decisions and change the squad and that hasn't been easy when you have a familiarity with players, people like Phil Neville and Nicky Butt. It's sad when you have to let them go. I was saying to myself: "Perhaps we could get one more year out of them?" But you have to move the team on. You have to tell yourself you're not making decisions for yourself, you're making them for the club.

Roy [Keane] and Ruud [Van Nistelrooy] must have presented as difficult decisions as any.

Well, Roy was, certainly, because he was such an influence at the club . . . (long pause). I'm not so sure about Van Nistelrooy being a big decision at all.

Is the squad more harmonious now?

You need a good team spirit and from day one we have just gelled. I've kept referring to that all season. The spirit has been brilliant in the dressing room.

Going back to last season, was there ever a point when you thought perhaps this was a challenge for someone else?

No, no. We made our decisions. Then it was just as case of sticking together. We looked at the squad, we knew there was enough youth and certainly enough ability. Obviously there have been key things and Paul Scholes coming back from his eye problem was a big boost for us, for instance, because it was a concern last year. Having him back was like signing a new player - a free transfer of international standard - and he just seemed to gel with Michael Carrick.

Was Van Nistelrooy's departure important to the spirit

I'm not getting into that.

Did you get a feeling at the start of the season that things were going to be different this year?

What we tried to instil in the players' minds was that we had to get a good start. For the previous two years nobody went with Chelsea early on and they had a clear run. We felt we could be there with them but we did better than that. We managed to stay in front of them. Which was not easy because Chelsea were chasing all the time.

You have faced challenges from Blackburn, Newcastle and Arsenal before, but are Chelsea your toughest opponents?

They're the most resilient, there's no question about that. They just never give in.

And where does it rank compared with your other titles

It has to be the club's greatest achievement. This is still a relatively new team and hopefully it's going to get better. It's their first real attempt at the title and that's why we're encouraged for the future. You've seen the difference in Nemanja Vidic, for example. To me he's been the best centre-half in the country. That strength in the central defensive positions is something we have wanted for a long time, going back to when Gary Pallister and Steve Bruce left. We've had some good combinations but not one that will last as long as Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

Was there ever any moment, watching Chelsea win the last two championships, when you thought this was almost an impossible task?

Yes, I did think that. I thought it was a difficult task simply because of the amount of money at Chelsea. But I thought the signings of Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack were designed to win them the European Cup. So I wasn't too concerned. I said to myself: "I hope they concentrate on the European Cup and leave the league to us, that would be very nice." But they have chased all the way. It's a great challenge to us and it will be the same again next season.

How important are Scholes and Ryan Giggs to your plans? Are they still part of the club's future?

Well, when you look at them there are no signs they are over the top. You say to yourself: "How long can they carry on?" But Giggs, at 33, doesn't carry any weight and looks after himself. Paul is a different physical shape to Ryan, stockier, but he looks after himself too and leads a good lifestyle. He is a home-loving boy, a family man, and that will give him a good chance to play until he is at least 34 or 35. They are getting to that age when you have to keep an eye on them and you are aware that at some point they will no longer be able to do it because of age.

To put it another way, do you expect Ryan still to be part of the team next season?

Absolutely. There's no question of that. Nobody else in British football has nine championship medals and it's a fantastic achievement. The other players are giving him a lot of attention today.

Can anyone ever do that again?

Hopefully another Manchester United player . . . but it won't be in my time.

Did you think you needed only minor additions last season, even though you had lost Keane?

For the last few years we have been looking for a new Roy Keane and now we understand it is impossible. You cannot get a new Roy Keane. We were fortunate that we had Keane to replace Bryan Robson with that same drive and mentality. But we did think that, if we got a player with footballing ability, like Carrick, it would enhance our chances. Although he started very quietly he has turned out to be a fantastic force for us, as instrumental as anyone in winning the title.

And what of you? When you set out in management, all those years ago, did you ever think you would still be winning trophies at the age of 65?

I've never looked at it that way. Age creeps up on you very quickly. I still think I am 58. It's true! All of a sudden you see that in the papers you are 65 and I think: "I can't be 65, can I?" Jesus Christ, somebody wrote I was 66 today. I wonder sometimes where the years have gone. Then, how I compare with five or six years ago. I don't notice any dramatic changes in myself, although there must be because age does that to you.

Will you go on like Sir Bobby Robson to 70?

No.

Do you feel tired?

It depends on how you have done. Last season I was tired. I wanted to get on my holiday, get started on the new season.

Have you had any contact yet from Jose Mourinho?

I had my phone off last night and I woke up this morning with 75 new text messages. There could be one from him.

And do you expect a guard of honour at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday?

Apparently Chelsea are going to honour us and I'm pleased with that. Jose was very complimentary in his post-match interviews on Sunday and I expected that. I'm sure he understands that winning and losing are twins and you have to deal with them in the right way. If you win, you don't need to gloat and, if you lose, you don't need to go bananas about it. You have to accept defeat - we all suffer them. And he has done that this time.

Ferguson lauds Mourinho dignity

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Jose Mourinho's handling of Chelsea's surrender of their Premiership crown.

Ferguson said: "Jose understands winning and losing are twins in a way.

"You have to deal with them in the same way. When you win, you don't gloat and when you lose you don't go bananas.

"He was very complimentary after their draw at Arsenal and I'll bring him a decent bottle of wine to make sure his tastes are looked after."

Blues midfielder Joe Cole has also congratulated Manchester United and revealed that there are plans to make sure the visitors are shown respect on Wednesday.

He said: "They clapped us out when we won the league, and that took a lot of dignity. I am sure we will repay the favour.

"There is a good rivalry between the two clubs. We have a lot of respect for them. They won the league and fair play to them."

Ferguson has rated this Premiership crown - his ninth as United manager - above his other titles for the way it was achieved.

He said: "There's a lot of satisfaction in the way we have won it, Chelsea were the most resilient opponents we have ever come across.

"I thought the signings of Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevcheko were designed to win them the European Cup and I just kept hoping that was what they were concentrating on.

"I knew we had to reach 90 points, which is a hel_l of a total.

"We tried to instil into the players' minds that we needed to get off to a good start and stay with Chelsea. It was something nobody else had done in the previous two years.

"Not only did we do that, we got in front and stayed there, which was a fantastic achievement because this is a relatively new team, which will hopefully get better."

Good article, thanks Seapok. Good to see a bit of dignity in both victory and defeat.. Success is transient, better to enjoy the moment while it's there but wise not to gloat I think..

:o

Meanwhile, the transfer rumour mill is up and running..I'd prefer Berbatov or Torres but, if he's really back to fitness.. then Owen? Why not....

From The Independent..:

United eager to trigger Owen's £9m escape clause

The Newcastle United striker Michael Owen will be the first target for Sir Alex Ferguson this summer with the new Premiership champions eager to take advantage of a clause in the player's contract that will make him one of the summer's best bargains. Owen should be available to leave St James' Park for around £9m.

Should a deal be struck, there is understood to be no major objections from the man himself about joining the oldest rivals of his first club Liverpool who passed up the chance to re-sign him in 2005 when he left Real Madrid. The 27-year-old found his old club outbid then by Newcastle but the clause in his contract means that he will be able to leave the north-east for much less than the £17m paid for him two years ago.

Manchester United have explored the possibility of signing Dimitar Berbatov but, having agreed a deal of up to £18.6m for Michael Carrick last year, have been told that on this occasion Tottenham Hotspur will attempt to price the Bulgarian international out the market. Owen fits the bill for Old Trafford in more than one way, he brings the guarantee of goals and he comes cheaper than usual for a former European footballer of the year.

The dispute between the Football Association and Newcastle over who pays Owen's wages following his World Cup injury has all but disclosed that the player is on £110,000-a-week which would put him among the top earners at Old Trafford. As usual, any reports of Owen leaving Newcastle where injury has prevented him playing more than 13 games in two years, are likely to be met with a firm riposte from St James Park but there is no question that Manchester United are interested.

The Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is yet to appoint a new manager since Glenn Roeder's departure and Owen's future is likely to play a significant role in that deal. However, regardless of the bad luck Newcastle may have had with Owen's metatarsal injury last year, and this season's cruciate, the original release clause was there for just this kind of move. It would not play well with the Newcastle public, but they might wish to question why such an agreement was brokered in the first place.

Ferguson has lacked a more traditional goalscoring poacher since the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy last summer and, with the injuries to Louis Saha, there has not been a settled strike partner for

Wayne Rooney. Owen would also suit the high-tempo, pressing game that United have switched to over the last season in the absence of the Dutchman.

"Speed is important to us," Ferguson said. "The way we play we need that in the team. At the moment we are looking whether we can get more speed."

With deals also likely for Owen Hargreaves and Gareth Bale, Ferguson will certainly test the finances of the club under the Glazer ownership this summer.

In the meantime, he is expected to pick a strong United side to play at Stamford Bridge tonight as his champions attempt to be the first team to inflict Chelsea's first home Premiership defeat since Jose Mourinho took over. The Chelsea manager is expected to rest Didier Drogba.

United's Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has recorded an appeal for the return of the missing English girl Madeleine McCann who was abducted while on a family holiday in the Algarve on Thursday.

Ronaldo filmed the appeal in English and Portuguese before travelling with the United squad to London for tonight's game at Stamford Bridge.

The appeal was made at the request of the British foreign office staff in Portugal who thought that his huge profile in his home country would draw attention to the hunt for the missing three-year-old.

Edited by muckypups

Meanwhile, the transfer rumour mill is up and running..I'd prefer Berbatov or Torres but, if he's really back to fitness.. then Owen? Why not....

From The Independent..:

United eager to trigger Owen's £9m escape clause

The Newcastle United striker Michael Owen will be the first target for Sir Alex Ferguson this summer with the new Premiership champions eager to take advantage of a clause in the player's contract that will make him one of the summer's best bargains. Owen should be available to leave St James' Park for around £9m.

Michael Owen is one player Manchester United should definately NOT sign, he's just not good enough. We need a player who can regularly score 25/30 goals a season, Michael Owen has never even managed 20 goals in one season. In his best ever season he twice managed 19, and that was about five years ago. During his time at Liverpool since 1997/8 his tally has been 18,18,11,16,19,19 and 16 in 2003/4. Since then he has not played regularly, he sat on the bench during his disaster at Real Madrid and then has spent most of his time injured at Newcastle. He's not going to suddenly remain fit AND double his average goal tally just because he signs for Man Utd.

First off , grudging respect has to be given , great season.

Right then , if united are going to sign a striker then no matter how much spurs want you should get the boy berbatov. He has been awesome this season , goals , link up play , the boy has got the lot and out of the current crop of european strikers in good form he is right up there.

If you get him then that would leave Liverpool with the choice of either david villa or samuel eto , why not both !!!!! :o .

Good point Sumrit and taken. I could see where a fully fit Owen might fit into the pacey style of attacking that we do so well, and I dare say that if we signed him then Fergie would suggest 20 goals from Owen, 20 each from Rooney and Ronaldo and 20 odd more from other players would be great... However, I agree.. Will he ever be fully fit again?.. maybe..Will he get his pace back at 27?.. unlikely.. And as you rightly point out.. he's barely kicked a ball in two years!

I guess this is little more than the press winding up the transfer merry go round way too soon...

Right then , if united are going to sign a striker then no matter how much spurs want you should get the boy berbatov. He has been awesome this season , goals , link up play , the boy has got the lot and out of the current crop of european strikers in good form he is right up there.

If you get him then that would leave Liverpool with the choice of either david villa or samuel eto , why not both !!!!! :o .

Agreed, on his performances this season he would be an excellent choice for United. Already used to playing in the Premiership I could imagine him fitting in very well at OT...But, what of Tottenham's ambitions for next season? Selling one of their best players is not the best statement of intent..Anyway, I guess it's way too early to speculate with any accuracy..

The Daily Mail however has this story... :D

Eto'o is top Fergie target

Sir Alex Ferguson has identified Barcelona’s Samuel Eto’o as Manchester United’s No 1 summer transfer target.

The United boss has said he hopes to make three major signings to strengthen the new Premier League champions and Sportsmail understands the first steps have already been taken to sign Cameroon striker Eto’o, 26, for around £27million.

Pini Zahavi, the Israeli super agent whose son Alex is a youth team striker at Barcelona, is being enlisted to try to complete the deal, while Eto’o’s friendship with Rio Ferdinand — who interestingly is a client of Zahavi’s — is also thought to be a factor in United’s favour.

Only this week Ferguson talked of adding pace to his attack — and few are quicker than Eto’o.

"When you’re building a team you need to think about balance," said Ferguson as he talked of his plans for a season he hopes will end with that elusive second European Cup.

"Speed is important to us. At the moment that’s what we’re looking at. Whether we can get more speed."

Eto’o has been unsettled at the Nou Camp since a fall-out with manager Frank Rijkaard and team-mate Ronaldinho in February.

The three-times African Player of the Year had just returned after missing four months with a knee injury when Rijkaard accused him publicly of refusing to play as a substitute against Santander.

Furious Eto’o said: "Telling a news conference I didn’t want to play is the behaviour of a bad person."

Adding that he had not had time to warm up, he said: "I have always thought about the group first. That is what hurt me most."

When Ronaldinho suggested Eto’o was inconsiderate to team-mates, the Cameroon striker said: "If a team-mate says that you must think of the team, it’s up to him to think of the team."

Competition for a striker who has scored 10 goals in his last 14 appearances for Barcelona is sure to be strong. Chelsea have also expressed an interest — as have AC Milan, Liverpool and Arsenal.

According to sources, Eto’o has already indicated that a move to Old Trafford would appeal to him.

If Ferguson is successful, he will have spent most of his £50m summer transfer budget on two players, with Bayern Munich likely to want £20m for their England midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

The Germans desperately need funds for a major overhaul of their faltering squad and supremo Franz Beckenbauer said: "We have to build a new team. It will come at a high price and we have to find ways of paying it."

Agreed, on his performances this season he would be an excellent choice for United. Already used to playing in the Premiership I could imagine him fitting in very well at OT...But, what of Tottenham's ambitions for next season? Selling one of their best players is not the best statement of intent..Anyway, I guess it's way too early to speculate with any accuracy..

The Daily Mail however has this story... :D

Eto'o is top Fergie target

Sir Alex Ferguson has identified Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o as Manchester United's No 1 summer transfer target.

The United boss has said he hopes to make three major signings to strengthen the new Premier League champions and Sportsmail understands the first steps have already been taken to sign Cameroon striker Eto'o, 26, for around £27million.

Pini Zahavi, the Israeli super agent whose son Alex is a youth team striker at Barcelona, is being enlisted to try to complete the deal, while Eto'o's friendship with Rio Ferdinand — who interestingly is a client of Zahavi's — is also thought to be a factor in United's favour.

Only this week Ferguson talked of adding pace to his attack — and few are quicker than Eto'o.

"When you're building a team you need to think about balance," said Ferguson as he talked of his plans for a season he hopes will end with that elusive second European Cup.

"Speed is important to us. At the moment that's what we're looking at. Whether we can get more speed."

Eto'o has been unsettled at the Nou Camp since a fall-out with manager Frank Rijkaard and team-mate Ronaldinho in February.

The three-times African Player of the Year had just returned after missing four months with a knee injury when Rijkaard accused him publicly of refusing to play as a substitute against Santander.

Furious Eto'o said: "Telling a news conference I didn't want to play is the behaviour of a bad person."

Adding that he had not had time to warm up, he said: "I have always thought about the group first. That is what hurt me most."

When Ronaldinho suggested Eto'o was inconsiderate to team-mates, the Cameroon striker said: "If a team-mate says that you must think of the team, it's up to him to think of the team."

Competition for a striker who has scored 10 goals in his last 14 appearances for Barcelona is sure to be strong. Chelsea have also expressed an interest — as have AC Milan, Liverpool and Arsenal.

According to sources, Eto'o has already indicated that a move to Old Trafford would appeal to him.

If Ferguson is successful, he will have spent most of his £50m summer transfer budget on two players, with Bayern Munich likely to want £20m for their England midfielder Owen Hargreaves.

The Germans desperately need funds for a major overhaul of their faltering squad and supremo Franz Beckenbauer said: "We have to build a new team. It will come at a high price and we have to find ways of paying it."

hands off eto :D !!!!!! , he's ours :D:D .

You certainly need him.. :D

Maybe if you win the Champs league he'll be up for it, and I reckon you'll be real challengers for the league next season (although I thought you would this season.. :o) So Eto should be a great buy for Liverpool, but personally I'd take Berbatov over Eto if only for the way he's adapted so well to the Premiership ...(imagine, Berbatov was offered to United before the start of last season.. They turned him down..:D)

You certainly need him.. :D

Maybe if you win the Champs league he'll be up for it, and I reckon you'll be real challengers for the league next season (although I thought you would this season.. :o ) So Eto should be a great buy for Liverpool, but personally I'd take Berbatov over Eto if only for the way he's adapted so well to the Premiership ...(imagine, Berbatov was offered to United before the start of last season.. They turned him down.. :D )

Berbatov will cost a lot more now than he did a year ago but I would say he is worth whatever spurs want for him , the boy is class.

I do think with 3 or 4 major signings we will give united a run for the title next season and eto is one of them signings that we need , a natural predator in front of goal who guarantees 25-30 goals a season , and he would get plenty of chances playing for our team.

I still like the boy David Villa and wouldnt mind the both of them joining us !!!!! :D .

all this lovey dovey between ManU and Chelsea :D

vewy cute :o

now whos bringing ME the bottle of wine......

Edited by MiG16

I doubt it'll be David Dein MIG.. :o So, one of the fine gentlemen of the footie forum will have to oblige.. :D

(You're right.. all this matey-matey between United and Chelsea is bound to backfire soon.. my monies on the Cup Final.. )

Please let us have our Berb for one more season.................. :D