Manchester United

redrus

I thought Fergie was very wrong to start Giggs in central midfield.

We have young midfielders who are now good enough and have quality.

Mystified.

Even more mystifying was having Scholes ,Giggs and Carick on the field together.Why are Cleveley and Anderson (brief appearance) who provide more energy being sidelined. Saving them for Turkey mid week ? United have already qualified.SAF rightly so praised Norwich but he blundered big time and I hope we never see Carrick paired with Giggs/Scholes ever again.Cleverley and Anderson must be getting very frustrated getting so litle game time and a chance to show their worth.8 times United have come from behind this season and their luck ran out.

Regards the Norwich game, you are quite right about our luck having run its course. To have won eight games coming from behind was pretty remarkable, but pulling off such a feat, requires as well as resilience, a bit of luck, and you aren't always guaranteed to get that. Still, we did come through some hard games with i think more points than we might have expected, so i don't think our points tally for the season now is far off where we would have hoped.

Regarding all the comments about SAF having made a tactical blunder playing some of the older players, i see things slightly differently. It's easy to single out the older guys whenever we don't perform well, and imagine how things might have gone better with some younger legs in the centre of the park, but i think it's fair to say, in that particular game anyway, that the team as a whole didn't play well. Take our wingers Young and Valencia for example. They for some reason, laziness perhaps, were making runs down the wing and to the box, but as soon as they got there, rather than take on the defender in their path, just stood there jostling about, waiting for an opening that invariably never came. Not only did it provide no supply to the strikers, it slowly to a standstill the momentum we were building.

Also, when these comments are made about how much better we would have been with the likes of Anderson and Cleverley on the field, and how ready they are, i have to say, particularly in the case of Anderson, i remained to be convinced. Of course looking to the future, they are the ones we have to be grooming more and more into the team, but some of their performances make me wonder how good they are and if they will ever become greats. Cleverley certainly is young and needs to be given more time to prove himself, but Anderson, injury withstanding, has been around quite some time at the club and has yet to prove himself an invaluable member of the team, for me anyway. Of course that's not to say he shouldn't still be given a chance - not like we have an abundance of other options anyway - i'm just not sure when i hear people talking about how he could have been the one to make a difference, whether i buy it or not.

One other thing we should never forget, when we question the manager's decisions on selection, is that we don't see what is happening in training, and who is looking sharp. I think after all these years, we need to give the manager a bit more credit, and not jump on his back the moment we lose a game. Can't quite believe some even talking about how perhaps a new younger manager might be good. <deleted> unbelievable that is. Those who say we'll hit a slump when SAF goes are i think quite right. How long the slump lasts will be anyone's guess. It could be a season or two, or it could as easily be slump along the lines of Liverpool's slump since their golden era - a slump that let's face it, they remain in to this day - how many years is that? - i lose count! I think we need to prepare ourselves for the worst - it's what i'm doing anyway - all good things come to an end i'm afraid - and with that in mind, enjoy the time remaining that we do have with a man who is for my money, the greatest manager of all time, because when it does end, we will be talking and reminiscing about this period, like the sad old buggers that we are or soon to be, right up until our dying days. Sorry if all that sounds a bit bleak. It's not meant to be. Just being realistic. We'll always love our club no matter how well or how badly we do, and that is all that really matters...

Oh, and last night i thought we did ok. Was always going to be a difficult game to get up for, and in a way, having just lost in the league, i think it would have been good to have a game that we could have really gone for, rather than something all a bit meaningless. Still, it was a great opportunity for some of the younger chaps to get a taste of a European night, and hopefully it will pay off further into the competition, should they be needed.

• Like 2

I thought Fergie was very wrong to start Giggs in central midfield.

We have young midfielders who are now good enough and have quality.

Mystified.

Even more mystifying was having Scholes ,Giggs and Carick on the field together.Why are Cleveley and Anderson (brief appearance) who provide more energy being sidelined. Saving them for Turkey mid week ? United have already qualified.SAF rightly so praised Norwich but he blundered big time and I hope we never see Carrick paired with Giggs/Scholes ever again.Cleverley and Anderson must be getting very frustrated getting so litle game time and a chance to show their worth.8 times United have come from behind this season and their luck ran out.

Regards the Norwich game, you are quite right about our luck having run its course. To have won eight games coming from behind was pretty remarkable, but pulling off such a feat, requires as well as resilience, a bit of luck, and you aren't always guaranteed to get that. Still, we did come through some hard games with i think more points than we might have expected, so i don't think our points tally for the season now is far off where we would have hoped.

Regarding all the comments about SAF having made a tactical blunder playing some of the older players, i see things slightly differently. It's easy to single out the older guys whenever we don't perform well, and imagine how things might have gone better with some younger legs in the centre of the park, but i think it's fair to say, in that particular game anyway, that the team as a whole didn't play well. Take our wingers Young and Valencia for example. They for some reason, laziness perhaps, were making runs down the wing and to the box, but as soon as they got there, rather than take on the defender in their path, just stood there jostling about, waiting for an opening that invariably never came. Not only did it provide no supply to the strikers, it slowly to a standstill the momentum we were building.

Also, when these comments are made about how much better we would have been with the likes of Anderson and Cleverley on the field, and how ready they are, i have to say, particularly in the case of Anderson, i remained to be convinced. Of course looking to the future, they are the ones we have to be grooming more and more into the team, but some of their performances make me wonder how good they are and if they will ever become greats. Cleverley certainly is young and needs to be given more time to prove himself, but Anderson, injury withstanding, has been around quite some time at the club and has yet to prove himself an invaluable member of the team, for me anyway. Of course that's not to say he shouldn't still be given a chance - not like we have an abundance of other options anyway - i'm just not sure when i hear people talking about how he could have been the one to make a difference, whether i buy it or not.

One other thing we should never forget, when we question the manager's decisions on selection, is that we don't see what is happening in training, and who is looking sharp. I think after all these years, we need to give the manager a bit more credit, and not jump on his back the moment we lose a game. Can't quite believe some even talking about how perhaps a new younger manager might be good. <deleted> unbelievable that is. Those who say we'll hit a slump when SAF goes are i think quite right. How long the slump lasts will be anyone's guess. It could be a season or two, or it could as easily be slump along the lines of Liverpool's slump since their golden era - a slump that let's face it, they remain in to this day - how many years is that? - i lose count! I think we need to prepare ourselves for the worst - it's what i'm doing anyway - all good things come to an end i'm afraid - and with that in mind, enjoy the time remaining that we do have with a man who is for my money, the greatest manager of all time, because when it does end, we will be talking and reminiscing about this period, like the sad old buggers that we are or soon to be, right up until our dying days. Sorry if all that sounds a bit bleak. It's not meant to be. Just being realistic. We'll always love our club no matter how well or how badly we do, and that is all that really matters...

Oh, and last night i thought we did ok. Was always going to be a difficult game to get up for, and in a way, having just lost in the league, i think it would have been good to have a game that we could have really gone for, rather than something all a bit meaningless. Still, it was a great opportunity for some of the younger chaps to get a taste of a European night, and hopefully it will pay off further into the competition, should they be needed.

Good post Rix.

Anderson needs games and so does Cleverly the impact Scholes or Giggs can give is now needed more at the end of games for controlling possession in the middle of the park.

We have always played with a good tempo and the game with the players last night showed that(although Gala where not that good)I can see us having Powell,Cleverly,Anderson,Kagawa on the bench for most of the season while IMO they all have the talent to be involved in most of teh games and maybe bring the older ones on towards the end to control the game,Rafeal should not of played last night neither should of Carrick in defense when we have Wooten.

There is nothing wrong in questioning Ferguson because he makes the wrong decision from time to time....even though his record is wonderful we all make mistakes......United have always played the youngsters and at the moment he is without doubt holding some back and for me i would rather see more youth on the pitch especially in the positions that really matter "the engine room"

Agree with you on Young and Valencia also they are far to inconsistent....how often do you see Valencia run pass a defender now? very rarely...why? he has the pace ......but elects to just go back inside or fuc_k about for an age passing to and fro to Scholesy.

I think this Powell kid at 18 is going to be some player he is already strong and likes to attack and shoot on site,i can see Jones being played more as holding midfielder in the future and when 100% fit.With Cleverly Anderson and Kagawa even Rooney in there we have a dynamic midfield instead of the square ball Carrick Giggs and Scholes old timers play that i am starting to see more and more of.

Nani will go if PSG or Anzi come in for him,lets hope they do and also in Wellbeck i think we have a very versatile forward with great pace and skill who is now a regular England international.Hernandez seems to be a typical OGS at the moment but great to have and the whispers about the Chilean forward we signed are good too,so all in all we have loads of talent at the club whether Fergie goes or not so i am not worried whoever takes over and think it could be better than a lot of people are thinking ...sometimes to freshen it up with new management especially the names people are talking about can only be good news....even if i am in my rocking chair.smile.png

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong in questioning Ferguson because he makes the wrong decision from time to time....even though his record is wonderful we all make mistakes......

When a team loses, sometimes it's thanks to mistakes by a player or players, sometimes it's thanks to the manager's selection / tactics, and sometimes it's just thanks to the other team playing better.

My point was it is easily to speculate on what causes a loss, and think we know what would have prevented it, but until the day time travel is invented, it's only speculation. We really don't know. Sometimes i get a bit tired of people pretending they do.

United have always played the youngsters and at the moment he is without doubt holding some back and for me i would rather see more youth on the pitch especially in the positions that really matter "the engine room"

Yeah i'm with you there. For United to compete these days with the likes of the City's and the Chelseas, and to compete without an abundance of big money signings, United needs more than ever to be bringing through the ranks decent young talent, and this talent needs to cut its teeth right at the top. Obviously the tricky part is not simply throwing them in at the deep end and watching them drown. I think this is what SAF fears and what he tries to protect them from, because it can have devastating consequences. And going back to what i said before about trust, i think we should trust SAF to nurture and develop these guys at the right pace.

Nani will go if PSG or Anzi come in for him,lets hope they do and also in Wellbeck i think we have a very versatile forward with great pace and skill who is now a regular England international.

Was thinking last night about how Welbeck reminds me a bit of Drogba, with the way he is so strong on the ball and good at holding it up. With him, Little Pea and RVP up front, as well as Rooney and blast from the past Macheda who i thought did ok last night, we really do have plenty of attacking options.

Oh, one thing about the Pea i saw last night was holding an imaginary card up after being fouled. Admittedly Gala did start getting a bit dirty towards the end with diving, reckless tackling, and time wasting, but please, we don't need our players doing that sort of crap. Hope i don't see it again.

Yeah agreed regarding Hernandez he was asking the question! ...I actually thought the ref got better as the game went on and never stood on for most of the play acting .......but for the life of me how he never gave the Brazilian midfielder a yellow early on! i don't know.

I have always enjoyed watching Wellbeck play still growing and can be as strong as Droghba in a few years with the speed to go with it .....great ball control also. thumbsup.gif

Understand exactly what you are saying about protecting young players and not questioning Fergie's record on that at all,just that surely we cannot be playing Giggs and Scholes in the majority of games next season can we?....so we really need to start giving these guys there head especially Cleverly who is another regular England international now.

• Like 1

Manchester United are ready to press ahead with a move for Kevin Strootman - and PSV are already planning for his departure.

The central midfielder has long been a target at Old Trafford and Sir Alex Ferguson believes he can get his man for around £14m.

Strootman was wanted by United in the summer but Ferguson opted to increase his side's firepower up front rather than strenghten his midfield.

However, the lack of options in central midfield remains a problem for Ferguson and many fans have grown frustrated at the lack of a commanding presence there.

PSV are wary of United's interest, while AC Milan are also said to be keen - but the Eredivisie side will try to rebuff any moves this January.

They have, however, earmarked Strootman's successor and believe they can land Oscar Hiljemark from Elfsborg.

Their interest in the 20-year-old midfielder seems to suggest they are planning for Strootman's departure.

Read more: http://www.talksport...4#ixzz2CsiWc2UM

Edited by Notstupid30

I managed to watch the game just before my flight. Me and a scouser had quite a pleasant chat on the plane. biggrin.png

A scouser?? Was he upgraded from the cheap seats? biggrin.png

Your a bit of a knob arn't ya?

I hope he wasn't a gobby scouser an all. :lol:

We're you dropped on your head as a child or bullied in school?

Q to you Man U boys.

In light of the nightmarish (for me) comedy (for others) debacle of the Chelsea manager position, a new dilemma might swing your way.

As we know Fergie is no spring chicken and I guess the 2 main contenders for following in his footsteps are Pep and Mourinho. It can be assumed that one of them will end up at Chelsea at the end of the season and if Mancini doesn't do something this year, the other could end up at City. So where does it leave you guys?

Would you like to sacrifice Fergie at the end of this season to land one of those 2 prospects? Does it put Fergie under pressure to resign?

Actually, if you want whoever is the chelsea manager, you will only need to wait 7 months and he will be looking for work again......

Q to you Man U boys.

In light of the nightmarish (for me) comedy (for others) debacle of the Chelsea manager position, a new dilemma might swing your way.

As we know Fergie is no spring chicken and I guess the 2 main contenders for following in his footsteps are Pep and Mourinho. It can be assumed that one of them will end up at Chelsea at the end of the season and if Mancini doesn't do something this year, the other could end up at City. So where does it leave you guys?

Would you like to sacrifice Fergie at the end of this season to land one of those 2 prospects? Does it put Fergie under pressure to resign?

Actually, if you want whoever is the chelsea manager, you will only need to wait 7 months and he will be looking for work again......

Could not give a <deleted> mate, fergie is our manager right now and that is all that matters, we will deal with a new manager when he retires gracefully.smile.png

But i am sure eitheer of those mentioned would jump at the chance to manage united rather than manage chelsea with the pressure of the sack hanging over there heads.

Just for smokie.

Taken from the guardian about our starting 11 in Turkey.

The average age of the 13 outfield players United used was 23: of these, five had come through the club's academy and eight had previously played for the club as a teenager. Of course, simply being young is not a virtue in itself. But this was a young team that played with heart and poise

• Like 1

Just for smokie.

Taken from the guardian about our starting 11 in Turkey.

The average age of the 13 outfield players United used was 23: of these, five had come through the club's academy and eight had previously played for the club as a teenager. Of course, simply being young is not a virtue in itself. But this was a young team that played with heart and poise

Good for the game in the UK this kind of thing....as long as they are home born as well. :D

But this was a young team that played with heart and poise

And lost

The only semi-difficult game of your group. Can't wait to see you go amother couple of rounds and then get another lesson in football from the likes of Barca

What in the final again, your little team are a long way off ever getting to final against barca.

And lost

The only semi-difficult game of your group. Can't wait to see you go amother couple of rounds and then get another lesson in football from the likes of Barca

What in the final again, your little team are a long way off ever getting to final against barca.

So are yours nev. Don't get delusional again

And lost

So are yours nev. Don't get delusional again

But at least we're in with a shout mate.... ;)

redrus

Well to be you're not really are you!! laugh.png

In English please..? wink.png

redrus

You have Bob Hope or no hope

Really i fancy us against any of the teams left on a home and away basis, its the final i am worried aboutbiggrin.png

redrus

You have no hope. Thats better, kept it simple for you lotbiggrin.png

Mate, there is always hope, as a United fan there is anyway... ;)

redrus

redrus

You have no hope. Thats better, kept it simple for you lotbiggrin.png

Mate, there is always hope, as a United fan there is anyway... wink.png

Not this season Russ. I just hope you don't pick up too many injuries when you play the big boys and it ruins your prem challenge. biggrin.png