Manchester United

redrus

You have gotta love Fergie he really knows how to wind up opponents.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has already taken a swipe at Rafael Benitez after he took charge of Chelsea.

Benitez has been swiftly installed in the Stamford Bridge hotseat after Roberto Di Matteo was axed as Blues boss on Wednesday and Ferguson is baffled by events in west London.

The Scot is full of sympathy for Di Matteo, who was sacked despite landing the UEFA Champions League title and the FA Cup, and he could not resist a dig at old sparring partner Benitez, who was involved in some heated confrontations with Ferguson during his spell at Liverpool.

Ferguson feels the Spaniard is 'very lucky' to be handed the Chelsea job, just weeks before they attempt to land the FIFA Club World Cup.

"Everyone feels for Roberto Di Matteo, and quite rightly," said Ferguson.

"It is quite amazing when you think that he has won the FA Cup and the Champions League.

"The biggest disappointment for me is that in two weeks' time they are going to the world championship (FIFA Club World Cup). You would have thought they would have waited to give the guy a chance to win it.

"Rafa Benitez is very lucky because on his CV in two weeks' time he could have two world championships to his name - and has had nothing to do with the teams.

"Jose Mourinho won the treble with Inter Milan. He (Benitez) took over and won the world championship without having to do anything and having nothing to do with the construction of the teams."

Ferguson also reiterated his backing for referee Mark Clattenburg, who has been cleared of racism allegations made by Chelsea in the aftermath of their match with United.

He said: "I did not believe it anyway. The unfortunate thing for Mark is that he has had to carry that stain for the last few weeks.

"Everyone in the game is pleased for him now - apart from Chelsea."

Benitez, meanwhile, vowed to win over Chelsea fans after the news of his appointment was met with a hostile reaction from some of the Stamford Bridge faithful.

"My priority was to work in the Premier League, I'm really happy to be here with a top side," Benitez said on Thursday evening, with Sunday's clash with Manchester City already on the horizon.

"For me the most important thing is I am here because I want to be here. I was looking for the right opportunity, I was looking for a top side who can fight for trophies."I don't care about the short-term (deal), what I have in my head is to win every game. We have five trophies to fight for. We will see what happens, in seven months we can win some trophies.

"At this level you are expected to win, do it well, and win trophies. I have a lot of years' experience at this level, and I will do what I have to do to win games.

"I like to do things in the right way for the fans. I am sure they will be happy with a manager with a winning mentality."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20464371

An interesting article regarding Fergie time in the above. Does it exist? Appears the answer is not really, at least no more than other big clubs get a time advantage, especially when drawing or losing. These stats below show first the total number of goals scored since the Premier League started, and then the number of goals scored in added time, and finally in percentage terms how many goals scored after 90.

Chelsea 1,306 84 6.43%

Arsenal 1,368 84 6.14%

Manchester City 796 41 5.15%

Tottenham Hotspur 1,092 56 5.13%

Liverpool 1,253 62 4.95%

Manchester United 1,570 77 4.90%

Now of course simply having scored more goals in injury time doesn't necessarily mean that special extra time was given. But these stats below show that all of the top clubs, with the exception of Chelsea, get more time added on when they are losing compared to when they are winning.

post-48298-0-74175800-1353727785_thumb.g

Edited by rixalex

An interesting article regarding Fergie time in the above. Does it exist? Appears the answer is not really, at least no more than other big clubs get a time advantage, especially when drawing or losing. These stats below show first the total number of goals scored since the Premier League started, and then the number of goals scored in added time, and finally in percentage terms how many goals scored after 90.

Chelsea 1,306 84 6.43%

Arsenal 1,368 84 6.14%

Liverpool 1,253 62 4.95%

Now of course simply having scored more goals in injury time doesn't necessarily mean that special extra time was given. But these stats below show that all of the top clubs, with the exception of Chelsea, get more time added on when they are losing compared to when they are winning.

But Utd get the most do they not ? so why do you think that is ?

Could just as easily ask you why is it that Spurs gets more than say Fulham or pretty much any of the lower clubs.

So you are confirming that Utd get the most and its effectively preferential treatmentbiggrin.png

Could just as easily ask you why is it that Spurs gets more than say Fulham or pretty much any of the lower clubs.

So you are confirming that Utd get the most and its effectively preferential treatmentbiggrin.png

Whatever we get it's obviously not enough because percentage wise, you score more goals after 90 mins than we do. biggrin.png

Chelsea 1,306 84 6.43%

Arsenal 1,368 84 6.14%

Liverpool 1,253 62 4.95%

Quote from BBC:

Their findings? It's TRUE... but only for this season. Last season Man Utd had the lowest second-half average added time.

Read the entire article.

wink.png

Dare i say ..........................that sir never picked the correct team..............

You can mate,, look what difference Anderson made when he came on, the lad needs a good run in the team,,and Young what has happened to him, he needs to up his game, anyway a good 3 points.

Its rich Ferguson saying Benitez is Lucky. Talk about people in glass houses etc.

In both Champions Leagues where MU ended up as winners they had incredible luck. Both Bayern Munich and Chelsea hit the bar and the post in both finals

Its rich Ferguson saying Benitez is Lucky. Talk about people in glass houses etc.

In both Champions Leagues where MU ended up as winners they had incredible luck. Both Bayern Munich and Chelsea hit the bar and the post in both finals

Please don't bring up Sir's disability.

It's called selective memory loss and is a form of amnesia.............laugh.png

And in every game up and down the country week in week out teams hit the bar and the post so whats you point? maybe we can give the moral victory cup too bayern and chelsea is that what you are saying? or is only hit the bar and posts relevant to uniteds opponents?

Edited by nev
  • Like 1

Having luck on the pitch is i think a different sort of luck to the luck SAF was talking about of a manager walking into a team somebody else put together just days away from a big game. Luck on the pitch is something every team enjoys at some time or other, including Bayern and Chelsea. I don't think any team has to apologise for anyone when luck comes their way. A manager who walks into a team that someone else put together, and winning something days later that will go on that manager's CV, not the CV of the manager who really played the biggest part in the win, might not require apologies from anyone, but perhaps some thanks and recognition.

Anyway, the game last night for the first hour was awful. I was really amazed because before the game you could sense that the mood was really good and it felt like we would come out and really put on a good display. Couldn't have been much further from the truth. Welbeck out wide was the worst part of it all for me. Didn't work at all. And so many sloppy hit and hope passes from almost everyone.

The substitutions did make a bit of a difference, but i thought they only really started to make a big difference after we managed those two rather scrappy in the box goals. Had we not got them - thanks and congrats by the way to Evans and Fletcher - i'm not so sure we would have created much from open play. Very worrying.

When was the last time we won by a good few goals and without conceding? Seems an age. With respect to QPR, if we are going to win the league, playing at home, a game like that we need to be winning with ease by three or four goals. I just hope something happens and the team starts to click.

Oh, great goal by Javier. Brilliant first touch.

And in every game up and down the country week in week out teams hit the bar and the post so whats you point? maybe we can give the moral victory cup too bayern and chelsea is that what you are saying? or is only hit the bar and posts relevant to uniteds opponents?

That MU were extremley lucky in both those finals. Week in week out teams are lucky /unlucky but there is always the next game. No next game in the CL after the final.

It ill behoves Ferguson to be talking about others peoples luck

Dare i say ..........................that sir never picked the correct team..............

I'm baffled as well...I think your kids (homegrown or notbiggrin.png ) are bloody good. With the exception of Nani of course....who has peaked already.

Nani's also 26 years old smokes so hardly a kid

Three wingers starting only Carrick a midfielder a ageing Giggs you just knew, and yes it happened, why oh why does he have 2 young central midfielders starting on the bench when they need game time, no wonder Pogba left.

Spineless performance but all credit to Norwich they stuck in there deserved there win.

Only positives Smalling and Rafeal both had good games.

Norwich have now beaten Man U, Arsenal and Spurs (in the cup) already this season, so the result is no flash in the pan.

We don't have the resources to compete at the top for any sustained length of time and avoiding relegation is still our main aim. However, our fighting spirit is second to none. Norfolk is a sleepy, friendly part of the UK but we're passionate about our football.

Three wingers starting only Carrick a midfielder a ageing Giggs you just knew, and yes it happened, why oh why does he have 2 young central midfielders starting on the bench when they need game time, no wonder Pogba left.

Spineless performance but all credit to Norwich they stuck in there deserved there win.

Norwich have now beaten Man U, Arsenal and Spurs (in the cup) already this season, so the result is no flash in the pan.

We don't have the resources to compete at the top for any sustained length of time and avoiding relegation is still our main aim. However, our fighting spirit is second to none. Norfolk is a sleepy, friendly part of the UK but we're passionate about our football.

Norwich fans must be delighted with the job Chris Hughton has done after the disappointment of losing Lambert. Personally i don't think he deserved to be sacked from Newcastle and is again proving he has the makings of a very good manager. He's also a top bloke.

Yes i have been to Norwich a few times with united and also i was there in 77 laugh.png

Some great stuff here by tom clare, probably the best writer on united.

http://www.joinmust.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72286

Above on duncan edwards.

Little bit of trivia on Edwards,, In 1956-57, he played an astonishing 94 games at different levels – Football League Championship, FA Cup, European Cup, Full Internationals, and he also represented the Football League XI, England “B”, England U-23, and the Army

Above on duncan edwards.

Little bit of trivia on Edwards,, In 1956-57, he played an astonishing 94 games at different levels – Football League Championship, FA Cup, European Cup, Full Internationals, and he also represented the Football League XI, England “B”, England U-23, and the Army

amazing that. he'd have been rotated and protected these days and would have played about thirty. wonder what might have been with him?

Above on duncan edwards.

amazing that. he'd have been rotated and protected these days and would have played about thirty. wonder what might have been with him?

My dad told me the best player he has ever seen, and he said England would have won the world cup earlier with him and the other english players that died at munich in the team, a bold statement i know but who knows!.