Manchester United

redrus

I'm sure he's going to enjoy his next 6 mnths playing reserve football and training with the youth team.

Reminds me of when I used to work closely with a japanese company. Instead of making someone redundant they would just make the person sit at a desk facing a wall, with no work to do. Eventually the person would lose face and just resign. Many suicides followed this type of treatment.

Oh well, at least Heinze is on many thousands of £'s "losing face" :o

united have played some great football last 3 games just not had luck in front of goal, for all you doomlords our season starts on sunday watch out we are comming to get you.

congratulations to city,we out played you but has we know in football not always the better team wins.

has for heinze we should sell him to the scouse <deleted> he is sh*t anyway and get anelka, i would prefer huntlear he is what we need should have gone for him instead of tevez,i bet i eat those words,lol.

united have played some great football last 3 games just not had luck in front of goal, for all you doomlords our season starts on sunday watch out we are comming to get you.

[/quote

I agree with you, against City Man U played some of the best football I have seen for a long time. Trouble was they hit a stumbling block by the name of Richards. I wonder if he is as good Terry? That of course would make him 7,564 times better than Ferdinand. But what a position Chelsea were in before the weekend, facing their worst nightmare team. After three games Chelsea could have afforded to get stuffed, and United could have stuffed city ans we would have been a point better. But that's football. We've had the luck, where you haven't

Edited by lampard10

It was your turn for sh*t luck last year Lampard10.. If you hadn't had those terrible early season injuries and the problem of accommodating Ballack and Shevchenko then I think you would have won the title.. Seems as if it's our turn now.

Still, early days, but I was surprised that we didn't pitch for a recognised striker..

I'll go along with Nev though.. eventually some of that fine football has to produce goals.. (Fergie's trying to persuade "Balsa Boy" to play on Sunday..) :o

Good chance that Unite are going to give someon a pasting in the next couple of wees if they het their act together in front of goal.

Maybe, they can swap Balsa boy for Martins at Newcastle :o

We Hate To Say We Told You So

25th August 2007

Actually no we don't, we ######ing love it…

…we all do don't we? And now you too can impress your friends (if you've got any). The following is from David Conn in the Guardian:

'In Thaksin Shinawatra's revolution, which has launched Manchester City to the euphoric, unforeseen position at the top of the Premier League, the agent Jerome Anderson has been a central figure. During the breathless three weeks after Thaksin's £21.6m takeover and the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager, Anderson was key to sealing the deals for City to sign eight players, all foreign, between the July 13, £8.8m signing of Roland Bianchi from Reggina, and August 3, when Valeri Bojinov joined City from Fiorentina.

'Anderson's involvement with Thaksin began before the City takeover; he was brought in to advise when the former Thai Prime Minister, in exile in London, was first considering buying a football club. In a series of connections which trace the global links of football, business and politics, Anderson's introduction came from Thaksin's most important football contact in London, Philippe Huber, a Swiss media entrepreneur.

'Huber's company, Kentaro, which has an office in Chelsea Harbour, holds the TV rights for matches played by Thailand's international team, and Huber is a close friend of the Thai FA's president, Worawi Makudi, an influential figure in world football and Fifa executive committee member. Through Makudi, Huber came to know Thaksin while he was prime minister, and Huber advised in 2004 when Thaksin tried to buy Liverpool on behalf of the Thai government, a proposal which fell through.

'Nobody at City wanted to discuss the precise role Anderson has played in these signings, and Anderson himself was unavailable. One well-placed source said only: "He will be paid for the unprecedented job he has done."'

And from Red Issue two weeks earlier:

From one cesspool to another: over at Wastelands there's a new gravy train set to depart:

"Agent Jerome Anderson flanked Sven at the press conference, having been instructed to find at least six new players." Anderson certainly bounced back quickly from the fiasco of the Thierry Henry transfer, when the player spectacularly binned him ahead of his move to the Nou Camp, of which there's surely more to come.

City insiders are still trying to piece together how Anderson and Zahavi have managed to set up a system whereby virtually all City's business when spending the Thai dirty millions will be funnelled through one monopolistic middleman set-up. Shades of the old regime at Maine Road when, especially under Kevin Keegan, almost every deal seemed to have Wille McKay's signature on it. McKay, with incredible arrogance (or stupidity? Thin line…) once took out an advert in City's match programme listing all the deals he'd done at City and boasting about his role in them. (Not quite so keen on the trumpet-tooting post-Stevens, is he?!)

Now then, what might a suspicious mind have to say about clubs who start putting all their business though the same pair of mitts? (A scenario we ourselves painfully recall vis-à-vis Zahavi and Jason Ferguson, you will recall.) Ah well, sure 'tis nowt to be concerned over. After all, if anything was amiss, the journalists would be all over it, wouldn't they? … Oh.

redrus

Edited by redrus

Sir Alex Ferguson looks to kick-start season

By Stewart Robson (Stewart Robson played for Arsenal and West Ham and is a Uefa 'A’ licence holder, educating coaches to develop elite players)

Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur

post-31374-1188087623_thumb.jpg

No win in their first three games, only one goal scored, Cristiano Ronaldo suspended and Wayne Rooney out for several weeks with another foot injury. Does this mean Manchester United are in crisis?

In terms of points gained, they are. But having seen their matches, the football that they are playing is just as scintillating as it was last year. The movement, passing and combination play is still the best in the Premier League. They have dominated all three of their matches with a mixture of possession and penetrative football but, for a variety of reasons, have not turned that dominance into goals. Reading hardly got out of their own half, Portsmouth should have been blown away in the first period and Manchester City couldn't get control of the ball.

The poor results have prompted pundits to suggest many different ways in which Sir Alex Ferguson could improve things. Playing a more direct style, buying another centre-forward, getting more players in the box and developing a Plan B have all been mentioned.

It was also suggested that, like Arsenal last year, United wanted to walk the ball into the net rather than simply to score. With United being linked with Dimitar Berbatov once again, it would appear that Ferguson is of the same view.

I could agree with some of those observations if United were failing to create chances, but they have carved out enough opportunities to win each match twice over.

Their problem at the moment is that they have lost that clinical edge in front of goal. Unfortunately when chances are continually missed or a goalkeeper saves brilliantly, confidence quickly erodes among the fans and players. This, in turn, puts the next player to receive a gilt-edged opportunity under immense pressure. But if they continue to create as many chances in today's game, Spurs could feel the backlash.

There are one or two areas where they could improve, though. For a team who usually thrive on crosses, their delivery hasn't been as good as normal. They have been under-hit, over-hit or the players have chosen the wrong option. United haven't got physical presence in the box, but height is not needed when crosses are being hit from the corner of the penalty box rather than from the touchlines.

And, with Paul Scholes, Carlos Tevez, Ryan Giggs, Nani and at times Michael Carrick all arriving in the box, there have been plenty of targets to find with cut-backs or balls hit hard and low into the six-yard box. Even when they have played decent balls into the danger area, they have squandered the opportunities or been thwarted by inspired defending. They have also missed the injured Gary Neville because Wes Brown has not provided the same quality of service into the box from right-back.

Nani hasn't yet produced what he is capable of. He has all the attributes needed to influence games in a similar fashion to Ronaldo, but he is frustrating his team-mates with his final ball.

He is quick, has exceptional trickery and a powerful shot in both feet but, like Ronaldo, he is erratic in his first season. Given a little time he will be another world-class player.

I fail to see the argument that Tevez is isolated when playing as the lone striker. If United played long balls to him, he would struggle to get hold of it, but most of the passes he has received have come from shorter distances. With Owen Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick and Giggs rotating positions and passing their way through the opposition's midfield, they can stream forward to support - and go beyond - Tevez. The penetrative movement and imagination of Scholes and Giggs have been marvellous to watch and goals will soon arrive if they continue to play in the same way.

For all Tevez's dribbling skills, though, he lacks that extra yard of pace which would kill off the defender once he has got the ball past him.

For Spurs to get something out of the game today, at least two of their players will need to have an inspired afternoon just as Micah Richards and Richard Dunne did last week for Manchester City. Can defenders Anthony Gardner, Ricardo Rocha or the much-maligned Paul Robinson provide similar performances to heighten the anxiety at Old Trafford?

United profligacy

Man Utd v Reading v Portsmouth v Man C

Shots on 9 7 3

Shots off 15 7 11

Total shots 24 14 14

Opposition shots 3 5 5

Possession 75% 69% 60%

Passes 532 425 553

Pass completion 84% 80% 84%

Hit woodwork 1 0 1

Crosses 41 30 39

Cross completion 22% 23% 28%

Man U are the only side to have hit more than 100 crosses this season. Ahead of yesterday's games, they led from Boro (86), Bolton (83) and Spurs (81)

Backlash.. Sorry Tottenham, but I really do hope so.. :o

Sir Alex Ferguson looks to kick-start season

They need to :o

.................HOME......AWAY....

...............P.WD.L.F.A.WDL.F.A.GDPts

1 Chelsea 4 2 0 0 4 2 1 1 0 3 2 3 10

2 Man City 4 2 0 0 2 0 1 0 1 2 1 3 9

3 Wigan 4 2 0 0 4 0 0 1 1 2 3 3 7

4 Liverpool 3 0 1 0 1 1 2 0 0 4 1 3 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Everton 4 1 1 0 3 2 1 0 1 3 2 2 7

6 Arsenal 3 2 0 0 3 1 0 1 0 1 1 2 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Portsmouth 4 1 1 0 4 2 0 1 1 2 3 1 5

8 Blackburn 3 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 3 2 1 5

9 Newcastle 2 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 1 2 4

10 Aston Villa 3 1 0 1 3 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 4

11 Birmingham 4 0 1 1 2 3 1 0 1 4 4 -1 4

12 West Ham 3 0 1 1 1 3 1 0 0 1 0 -1 4

13 Reading 4 1 0 1 2 2 0 1 1 0 3 -3 4

14 Sunderland 4 1 0 1 1 2 0 1 1 2 5 -4 4

15 Tottenham 3 1 0 1 5 3 0 0 1 0 1 1 3

16 Middlesbrough 3 0 0 1 1 2 1 0 1 2 2 -1 3

17 Bolton 4 1 0 1 4 3 0 0 2 2 5 -2 3

18 Fulham 4 1 0 1 3 3 0 0 2 2 4 -2 3

19 Man Utd 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 2 -1 2

20 Derby 4 0 1 1 3 4 0 0 2 0 5 -6 1

Heinze has a dig at Ferguson.

"The rivalry between United and Liverpool is fuelled not by sporting matters but by a hatred between the clubs.

"For Ferguson this was a personal question and he never wanted my transfer to up the road to Liverpool.

"But if I had to leave United it had to be for a big club in Europe.

"Real are the champions of Spain and one of the biggest teams in the world.

"Anyone would want to play for them."

Ferguson has a blast at Heinze.

"A lot of fans will be asking what all this was about but it started a long time ago.

"I was disappointed with Gaby from the time he joined us because he chose to play for Argentina in the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and didn't come to us until the end of that September.

"His first season was fantastic but the day before he got his bad injury his agent came to our hotel and asked if we could sell Gabby. After one year I thought it was an absolutely distressing signal to put out.

"We allowed him to train in Spain and really he prepared to have himself fit to represent Argentina in the World Cup, which we couldn't do anything about.

"We were not happy especially as he came back unfit from the World Cup.

"Meanwhile all through that time his agents kept having meetings with David Gill asking to leave or double his money.

"They wanted him to be the top-paid player, which is absolutely ridiculous given the quality of forward players we have."

Moral, don't <deleted> with Fergoz. Do these players not learn............ Paul McGrath, Norman Whiteside, Andre Kanchelskis, Jip Jaap Stam, ROY KEANE.....!!!!! There are many more.... Its a real shame, I really really liked Gabs but, just another case of why agents must be told to.........................

If there were no agents Heinze would be lining up for us still and happy, he loved United, the look on his face when we started singing Argentina, Argentina....

Bizarre plot for Heinze's Scouse move is revealed.

Mail on Sunday:

Crystal Palace were offered an astonishing 'commission', thought to be around £1 million, to act as a go-between in an elaborately conceived transfer plot to get Gabriel Heinze from Manchester United to Liverpool.

And now United are demanding that the Football Association investigate Liverpool's role in the affair, which is turning out to be a dramatic follow-up of the Argentine's £8m move to Real Madrid last Thursday.

The plan, allegedly thought up by Heinze's representatives, called for Palace to buy the player from United then sell him on to Liverpool.

It foundered when the London club refused to cooperate and, instead, made both Manchester United and the Premier League aware of the approach.

Palace chief executive Phil Alexander subsequently gave evidence about both the contact and the proposed financial incentive, made by a lawyer named Richard Green purporting to be acting on behalf of Heinze's agents, to the Premier League tribunal who decided to uphold United's stance in refusing to sell the defender to their Merseyside rivals.

'I presented evidence about the approach to the Premier League and to Manchester United. It was up to the League to interpret it as they saw fit,' said Alexander, who also insisted the contact came completely out of the blue without any possible prior inclination that Palace might be willing to co-operate in the matter.'

redrus

Edited by redrus

Berbatov Rumours Denied All-round

redissue

Sunday 26th August 2007

Do not be surprised if something happens then!

Ferguson:

"We made an inquiry about a striker not so long ago. The club concerned would not sell and it remains that way.

"With a week to the transfer deadline, it would be impossible to get anyone else in now."

Capable Hands:

"Manchester United are linked with many players in every transfer window. The club has categorically not made a bid for Dimitar Berbatov."

Martin Jol:

"I'd rather die than sell Berbatov. :D :D :D Berbatov loves me. :o If he is playing well he gets all the praise and if he is not doing well I have to tell him."

Berbatov's agent said this on Friday night:

"Tottenham's board confirmed that Manchester United made an enquiry as to Berbatov's availability.

"We told them our position, they told us theirs. In the end, we agreed that the board would decide within the next few days and let us know.

"It's obviously a very appealing possibility, but Dimitar has a contract with Tottenham and he needs Spurs' approval to negotiate.

"I cannot comment on the stuff in the English papers. The truth of it is that there is an enquiry, but everything else is speculation.

"It's clear though that Tottenham really want to keep Berbatov."

redrus

The Brothers Charlton

Sunday 26th August 2007

Bobby reopens the fued with Jack as he prepares to promote his book.

'My brother made a big mistake. I don't understand why he did it. He couldn't have possibly known her and said what he said. I was astonished.

'My mother was a strong character. My wife is also a very strong character ... There was a clash and it just never went away really. We stopped seeing each other. At the end of the day you have to have your priorities and mine was my wife.'

The Observer:

The feud between Britain's most famous footballing brothers was reopened yesterday when Sir Bobby Charlton broke his silence about years of rancour with his brother Jack, accusing his 1966 World Cup team-mate of making 'absolutely disgraceful' statements about his wife.

Sir Bobby, who is promoting his autobiography published next month, spoke for the first time about the rift between his wife and his late mother and admitted that he now rarely sees Jack, even at Christmas.

The strife was laid bare in 1996 when Jack publicly accused Bobby of failing to visit their mother before her death, leaving her heartbroken. Bobby responded: '[Jack] came out in the newspapers saying things about my wife that were absolutely disgraceful. Nonsense. Ask anybody that ever met my wife: "hoity-toity" is not a word they'd use. My brother made a big mistake. I don't understand why he did it. He couldn't possibly have known her and said what he said. I was astonished.'

He confronted Jack at the first opportunity, but Jack refused to back down. 'I didn't want him to do anything, I wanted him to explain.' But he could not, Sir Bobby said.

'I made my mind up that I would protect my wife whatever happens and that's the way I saw it. I mean, maybe I should have gone to see my mother but maybe, maybe...' Asked if he would have liked a reconciliation with his mother, he replied: 'I wouldn't have looked for it and I wouldn't have expected it.'

Sir Bobby revealed that he hardly sees his brother and that the arrival of grandchildren failed to save their relationship. 'I don't think anybody should feel sad about it. He's a big lad, I'm a big lad and you move on. I'm not going to ruin the rest of my life worrying about my brother and I've no doubt he's the same. If we see each other we'll say hello. I'm sorry it's happened, but life goes on.'

When contacted by The Observer for a response yesterday, Jack remained silent for several seconds.

Finally, he said: 'I don't want to get involved in all of this. I've been through it all before and I don't want to get involved. I was surprised that he's doing a book and it's all appeared in the book and it's all been written before and I've nothing to say about it at all.'

Jack, 72, a former Republic of Ireland manager, said: 'I'm not going to answer questions, forget it, that's it.' Jack Charlton's eldest son, John, who works for a sports club, said: 'I know Jack's a little bit disappointed and feels Bobby doesn't need to write that kind of stuff. I think it's like anything, you've got to know the full story.

'It's all about lots of half-truths. You can make anything read how you want it to read and ... the way it appears is not necessarily the way that it was. I know what went on and what's been said and what's happened over the years.'

redrus

The Brothers Charlton

Sunday 26th August 2007

'My brother made a big mistake. I don't understand why he did it. He couldn't have possibly known her and said what he said. I was astonished.

'My mother was a strong character. My wife is also a very strong character ... There was a clash and it just never went away really. We stopped seeing each other. At the end of the day you have to have your priorities and mine was my wife.'

The Observer:

The feud between Britain's most famous footballing brothers was reopened yesterday when Sir Bobby Charlton broke his silence about years of rancour with his brother Jack, accusing his 1966 World Cup team-mate of making 'absolutely disgraceful' statements about his wife.

Sir Bobby, who is promoting his autobiography published next month, spoke for the first time about the rift between his wife and his late mother and admitted that he now rarely sees Jack, even at Christmas.

The strife was laid bare in 1996 when Jack publicly accused Bobby of failing to visit their mother before her death, leaving her heartbroken. Bobby responded: '[Jack] came out in the newspapers saying things about my wife that were absolutely disgraceful. Nonsense. Ask anybody that ever met my wife: "hoity-toity" is not a word they'd use. My brother made a big mistake. I don't understand why he did it. He couldn't possibly have known her and said what he said. I was astonished.'

He confronted Jack at the first opportunity, but Jack refused to back down. 'I didn't want him to do anything, I wanted him to explain.' But he could not, Sir Bobby said.

'I made my mind up that I would protect my wife whatever happens and that's the way I saw it. I mean, maybe I should have gone to see my mother but maybe, maybe...' Asked if he would have liked a reconciliation with his mother, he replied: 'I wouldn't have looked for it and I wouldn't have expected it.'

Sir Bobby revealed that he hardly sees his brother and that the arrival of grandchildren failed to save their relationship. 'I don't think anybody should feel sad about it. He's a big lad, I'm a big lad and you move on. I'm not going to ruin the rest of my life worrying about my brother and I've no doubt he's the same. If we see each other we'll say hello. I'm sorry it's happened, but life goes on.'

When contacted by The Observer for a response yesterday, Jack remained silent for several seconds.

Finally, he said: 'I don't want to get involved in all of this. I've been through it all before and I don't want to get involved. I was surprised that he's doing a book and it's all appeared in the book and it's all been written before and I've nothing to say about it at all.'

Jack, 72, a former Republic of Ireland manager, said: 'I'm not going to answer questions, forget it, that's it.' Jack Charlton's eldest son, John, who works for a sports club, said: 'I know Jack's a little bit disappointed and feels Bobby doesn't need to write that kind of stuff. I think it's like anything, you've got to know the full story.

'It's all about lots of half-truths. You can make anything read how you want it to read and ... the way it appears is not necessarily the way that it was. I know what went on and what's been said and what's happened over the years.'

redrus

watch man u get there 1st win of the season last night ,never heard the fans so anxious to hear the final whistle,spurs were unlucky not to get something from this game ,should have had a penalty ,who does get one at manchester ? are the refs afraid to give them or what ? i think so .................

Well, I have to say I ws glad that we got those three points , and i f the tuth be nown, I really didn't care how we got them. As it was, the Nani goal was a little bit special, and hopefulyl that will give him some more confidence ahead of the game. My inial feeling ;ast night, that United played a little to narrow in the firts half, which made the midfield a little bit to congested. At times, United's defence looked very shaky, especially fropm crosses, which was quite worrying, and Ferdinand was nearly made to look very foolish with some pretty lazy ball watching.

I felt that Tevez and Nani, played reasonably well, and I suspect that Tevez will ceratilny be a major influence this season, pretty sure that he needs a few more games to get match fit as he missed so much of the preseason. I was alos verry impressed with Bale who looks an exciting prospect. He's got plenty of pace and a good engine, and maybe he will be a replacement in the England defence for Cashley in the near future.

Anyway hope those three points kickstart the season.

Dear Sir Alice,

We have not had a bad start to the season but an atrocious one. I would like to help you out as would a few more here in Thailand. I may not be as young as I was nor as fast; can't do the fancy footwork that Ronaldo does but.. I will be able to put that round thingy in the opponent's onion bag. Give us about half what you pay Ronaldo and we'll get you back to the top of the table.

Hippo

PS Do not release Ronaldo too early for training with the Portuguese Olympic diving squad - mid April should be OK.

The Brothers Charlton

Sunday 26th August 2007

The Observer:

redrus

watch man u get there 1st win of the season last night ,never heard the fans so anxious to hear the final whistle,spurs were unlucky not to get something from this game ,should have had a penalty ,who does get one at manchester ? are the refs afraid to give them or what ? i think so .................

At Manchester....? Is that Piccadilly, the Cricket ground or Ardwick Sports Center.....!!!!!

Same at Anfailed, Stamford fridge (atmosphere) and the rest so leave your ABU <deleted> to the bitters, please.... :o

:D

I'll carry on looking at your avatar anyway....!

redrus

From The BBC:

Striker Solskjaer set to retire

Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to announce his retirement from football on Tuesday.

The 34-year-old Norwegian has been plagued by a series of knee injuries.

Solskjaer, who scored the winner in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich in 1999, made several comebacks in the past four years.

Solskjaer joined United from Molde for £1.5m in 1996 and has the former Norway international has made 366 appearances for United, scoring 126 goals.

The striker scored 11 goals as the Red Devils reclaimed their Premier League crown last season.

Solskjaer's last game for Sir Alex Ferguson's side was the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea on 19 May 19 when he came on as an extra-time substitute at Wembley.

He has already spent time at United coaching young players and was appointed a club ambassador last year.

The retirement of Solskjaer leaves Ferguson with only three strikers - Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha and Carlos Tevez - the latter being the only one presently fully fit.

Ferguson has been linked with a move for Bolton's Nicolas Anelka and Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov, although the latter has insisted his immediate future lies at White Hart Lane.

United have sold fellow strikers Alan Smith to Newcastle and Giuseppe Rossi to Villarreal.

Tevez has also been included in Argentina's squad for the friendly against Australia in Melbourne next month, which could further stretch Ferguson's resources.

Saha, whose own United career has been dogged by injury, had hoped to make his return against Spurs at the weekend but his comeback was aborted.

He is expected to be fit to face Sunderland at the weekend, but his persistent knee problems have proved a major cause of concern.

Solskjaer returned to fitness last term, and was hopeful of playing a meaningful role this season, despite undergoing minor knee surgery in June.

But he has had problems during his rehabilitation and recently admitted he fully expected this to be his last season.

Now the announcement that one of Old Trafford's most popular figures is quitting the game has been brought forward.

Thanks Ole..

post-31374-1188283249_thumb.jpg

Once more as another one who's not a supporter of Man U ( Fergie get's right up my nose) I've alot of time for OGS, he always struck me as a genuine person unlike many of todays prima donnas....hopefully he'll stop at the club & develop the ambassador role he already has. Good luck Olie . :o

Good luck to Ollie.

He might never have been a superstar like Beckham, Rooney, Keane, Giggs et al, but know one can doubt thwe influence that he has had on United winning so many trophies over the past 14 years.

He is what you call a true loyal proffesional. I'm pretty certain that he had planty of offers to play for other clubs, with much more of a chance of making the starting line up every week, but he never complained, got on with and played wherever he was asked. He was never in trouble with refs, never involved in any scnadelous behaviour and has been a player that any young player should look up to. His strike ratio is impressive, and one wonders how many more goals he may of scored if he had played more regularly and with less injuries.

I will never forget that winning goal in the Nou Camp in 1998 and he will always be remeber as true United legend.

Anyway, know HE HAS TO GO AND BUY A STRIKER FOR SURE!!!!!!! Lets get Berbatov :o

Edited by mrtoad

He's bottled out of playing against Sunderland on Saturday ... don't be surprised if he makes a fast recovery and makes the Sunderland bench on Saturday.

Oh ... and we are going to win 3-1 at Old Trafford on Saturday. You heard it here first.

And you bottled out of going out on Saturday night, cos you know the merciless stick I'm going to give you when we thump you by four goals :o:D

Don't laugh too much, Keane might just go and buy Ollie as he has a habit of buying wshed up ex-united players :D

He's bottled out of playing against Sunderland on Saturday ... don't be surprised if he makes a fast recovery and makes the Sunderland bench on Saturday.

Oh ... and we are going to win 3-1 at Old Trafford on Saturday. You heard it here first.

And you bottled out of going out on Saturday night, cos you know the merciless stick I'm going to give you when we thump you by four goals :o:D

Don't laugh too much, Keane might just go and buy Ollie as he has a habit of buying wshed up ex-united players :D

It's about time we won at Old Trafford ... so you will see me dancing in the middle of Ratchayothin intersection in the early hours of Sunday morning as you make the long journey home with your tail between your legs. I hope it's your tail!

It's about time we won at Old Trafford ... so you will see me dancing in the middle of Ratchayothin intersection in the early hours of Sunday morning as you make the long journey home with your tail between your legs. I hope it's your tail!

As I suspected, you're really heading down to Ratchayothin Karaoke. :o

As I suspected, you're really heading down to Ratchayothin Karaoke. :o

Yes, with the WIT (wife in tow).

Some good stuff in the press today about Ole's retirement:

From The Guardian:

The Joy of Six: Solskjaer moments

From Barcelona to Bordeaux via, er, Rob Lee, we look at the Baby-Faced Assassin's career highlights.

1. v Bayern Munich, Champions League final, Barcelona, 26/05/99

There's not really much to add to this one, is there?

2. v Newcastle, Premiership, 18/04/98

One of the main reasons for Solskjaer's extraordinary popularity - apart from trivial stuff like Champions League-winning goals - is his selflessness in a footballing age of rampant egotism. He was happy to take one for the team throughout a career in which he was a reserve for all bar two seasons, and in 1998 he sacrificed himself for the cause with a deliberate foul on Rob Lee.

United, drawing 1-1 at home to Newcastle, were losing their grip on the title race, and looked set to be in even greater trouble when, with everyone forward for a late corner, Lee ran the length of the pitch to go through on goal. But Solskjaer, who started 10 yards behind Lee, chased him all the way and, just outside the box, hacked Lee down before being shown the inevitable red card.

3. v Charlton, Premiership, 23/08/06

In sporting terms, this was a dying man's last wish. During three years of injury misery, Solskjaer was motivated by one thing: the prospect of scoring one more goal in the United shirt. When he did, at Charlton in the second game of last season, he bowed adoringly to his disciples in the away end, who recripocated the gesture in a show of unity that would have melted even the hardest heart.

4. v Liverpool, FA Cup, 24/01/99

Four months and two days before Barcelona, Solskjaer patented the rescue act that would change the lives of so many in the Champions League final. United were 1-0 down in a cup match of huge importance, equalised just before the end and then won it through Solskjaer's opportunism. His winner, in as cacophonous an atmosphere as it is possible to imagine - there were no prawn sandwiches on sale that day - was staggeringly nerveless: he picked up a loose ball 12 yards out, signalled with his eyes that he was going to shoot to the right of David James, only to drag it inside the near post as James dived the wrong way.

5. v Nottingham Forest, Premiership, 06/02/99

Some strikers struggle to score four goals in a season; at the City Ground Solskjaer did it in 10 minutes. Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole had both scored twice as United raced into a 4-1 lead against a pathetic Nottingham Forest, and with 20 minutes to go the only interest centred around which striker would be first to notch up a hat-trick. The answer was neither: Solskjaer came on and, in an extraordinary finale, rammed in four goals. The definitive supersub had just supersized the accepted parameters of his trade, and no cause would ever be lost again.

6. v Bordeaux, Champions League, 01/03/00

Solskjaer's career was defined by his match-saving or match-winning goals from the bench, and this was perhaps the most spectacular. With United struggling to break down 10-man Bordeaux, Solskjaer came on for Denis Irwin with seven minutes to find a winner. He needed barely seven seconds. With his first touch he killed a long punt from Raimond van der Gouw and with his second curved the ball coolly past Ulrich Rame.

And a lengthy tribute from The Independent:

Unassuming supersub who merits a place among the Old Trafford greats

Solskjaer's dedication, on and off the pitch, made him one of the English game's finest ever imports, writes Nick Harris

The City Ground, Nottingham, Saturday 6 February 1999. There are 15 minutes left to play and Manchester United are 4-1 up in their Premiership match at Nottingham Forest, courtesy of two goals apiece from their first-choice striking partnership, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. Five minutes have passed since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer came on for Yorke. The game is apparently winding down, and the match reporter from The Independent – this match reporter, to be accurate – scribbles a note to himself to the effect: "76 min: gone flat since Yorke went off."

Flat as a volcano, it turned out. In the 80th minute, Solskjaer scored from Gary Neville's cross for 5-1. In the 87th, he tried to chip Dave Beasant, had it blocked but whacked home anyway. 6-1. Two minutes late he volleyed in Paul Scholes' pass. 7-1. In injury time he converted Nicky Butt's cross for 8-1. And from United's jubilant fans came another round of: "You are my Solskjaer, my Ole Solskjaer, you make me happy, when skies are grey..."

It was United's best away win in 100 years, and to date still the biggest win on the road for any side in the Premiership. Statistics show that those four goals were netted in 10 minutes, between the 80th and 90th, and even if, to be a stickler, they actually came in a span of 12 minutes that included time added on, they still made the fresh-faced Norwegian the fastest scorer of a four-goal haul on record in England.

Forest's manager, Ron Atkinson, said: "In a nutshell, we've been murdered." Asked about Solskjaer's impact, he could only give a wry grin. "Good job they didn't put him on earlier."

Plain Alex Ferguson – the Sir would not arrive until after another supersub Solskjaer performance in the Nou Camp a few months later – said: "I put Ole on just to give him a workout. Dwight was complaining that I'd denied him a hat-trick, and Ole goes and gets four. Maybe I'll consider him for next week's game against Fulham now."

If that last sentence was said in jest, it did not hide the fact that Solskjaer, a steal at £1.5m from Molde in the summer of 1996, was rarely a consistent first-choice pick in attack. First Yorke and Cole held sway. Then after a period with Solskjaer starting alongside Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ferguson often opted to play the Dutchman alone up front. Injury curtailed Solskjaer's involvement in the 2003-04 season, he missed the whole of 2004-05, played only three league games in 2005-06, and then had a last hurrah by featuring often as United regained the title last season.

Against that backdrop it is even more remarkable that Solskjaer, 34, who confirmed his retirement yesterday because of knee trouble, managed 366 games for United (approaching half of which as a substitute) and scored 126 goals.

None was more important than the last-gasp winner in the 1999 Champions League final against Bayern Munich. His thoughts about that game, when Teddy Sheringham equalised late for 1-1 before he netted the winner, say much about his desire for more pitch time. "When Teddy scored, I thought, 'Yes!'," recalled the man brought on with 10 minutes remaining of normal time. "I'm going to play 40 minutes of a Champions League Final. That's going to be unbelievable." He did not play 40; merely a blinder.

But it is to his enduring credit that in a normally ego-driven role he stayed the course whatever was asked of him. And in doing so he put himself among the highest-achieving foreign footballers ever to have graced the English game.

In terms of trophies, he has outdone almost every other foreigner including Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry and Gianfranco Zola, to name but three who would gain instant entry into the pantheon of overseas greats. In fact, aside from Liverpool's South Africa-born Zimbabwean goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar (13 major trophies with Liverpool), and United's great Dane Peter Schmeichel (10 with United), no foreign player can beat Solskjaer's nine, all with United: six Premiership titles, two FA Cups and that 1999 Champions League. But for injury, he would probably have added a 10th trophy with the 2006 League Cup.

And yet in the affections of the United supporters, Solskjaer's contribution went beyond scoring goals. The most tangible demonstration of his bond came in February 2005 when the club was being stalked by the Glazer family, seen by many as unwanted predators. Granted, figures as influential as Ferguson and the club's chief executive, David Gill, both made plain their own trepidation, either in private or public, only to revoke them, but Solskjaer alone among the players stood up and backed the fans.

He became the patron of the anti-Glazer group, Shareholders United, saying: "I think it is important that the club remains in the right hands. I am absolutely on the supporters' side... I am a United fan myself and only want what is best for the future."

As Andy Walsh, one of those now involved with the breakaway FC United said yesterday: "The understanding between supporters and players is sadly missing these days. But Solskjaer's approachable, he's a gentlemen, he is almost without fault. As much as for what he did on the pitch, fans have always loved Solskjaer's genuine connection with them."

It should be one that endures, both as a coach and a club ambassador.

'Ole achieved everything. He has been a great servant'

The tributes to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer were led by his Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. "Ending your playing career is a sad day for anyone, in the case of Ole, he has 11 fantastic years," Ferguson said. "Ole has achieved everything a player could wish to. He has been a great servant to the club."

The Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger also revealed his admiration for Solskjaer. "He played with fantastic efficiency. In a quiet way he was one of the most efficient players at Manchester United. If you look at his record, you won't find many better players."