Manchester United

redrus

As if we haven't known this since the end of last season... :o

From The Times:

Ferguson will cast his net far and wide to solve striker crisis

Sir Alex Ferguson will spend the final three days of the transfer window looking for a striker to cure a sudden shortage of firepower at Manchester United, but is increasingly resigned to having to wait until January in his search for reinforcements.

Since adding Carlos Tévez to his forward line this month, Ferguson has sold Alan Smith and Giuseppe Rossi to Newcastle United and Villarreal respectively, while yesterday brought confirmation of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s retirement after a lengthy battle with a knee injury and the prospect of Tévez making a 21,000-mile round trip to Melbourne to play in a friendly for Argentina against Australia on September 11, four days before a Barclays Premier League match away to Everton.

With Wayne Rooney sidelined by a fractured foot and Louis Saha exercising caution in his recovery from a summer knee operation, Tévez is the only fit striker at Old Trafford.

Ferguson was concerned by a potential lack of attacking personnel even before Solskjaer’s announcement yesterday, having put out feelers last week through a handful of trusted agents, with Dimitar Berbatov, of Tottenham Hotspur, his principal target.

A deal for Berbatov always looked problematic this summer, after an unsuccessful inquiry in June, but, while that situation will be revisited, possibly in January, United are scouring Europe in search of alternatives for the immediate future.

United are aware that Nicolas Anelka could be available from Bolton Wanderers for about £8 million and that there is a chance of luring either Obafemi Martins or, intriguingly, Michael Owen from Newcastle United. All three have been discussed at Old Trafford during the summer, with Anelka the subject of a tentative and informal inquiry to Bolton in May, but Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz, his assistant, are not convinced of the merits of signing any of them.

Other potential targets would be David Trezeguet, the Juventus forward, or Adriano, of Inter Milan, with the latter the subject of a firm bid from West Ham United after being offered to a number of English clubs over the past week. Both were the subject of interest from United last year and either would provide a physical presence to complement the skills of Rooney, Tévez or Saha, but Ferguson is far from certain to pursue that option.

Ferguson hopes to welcome back Rooney within three weeks, considerably sooner than the initial prognosis, but, while Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani can all operate as a support striker, there is concern at the lack of out-and-out strikers.

As for Solskjaer, he will stay at Old Trafford in a dual role as a coach and club ambassador, having been lined up as the long-term successor to Sir Bobby Charlton, who, at 69, is expected to pass on some of his diplomatic duties for the club over the next few years. Solskjaer, 34, has undertaken numerous charitable engagements for United in recent years.

“Nobody will forget Ole’s dramatic winner in Barcelona [in the 1999 Champions League final], but much more than that, his dedication and professionalism make him one of the great role models,” David Gill, the chief executive, said yesterday. “Ole will be dearly missed as a player, but will go on to serve the club as an ambassador and a valuable coach.”

Solskjaer admitted that he was retiring with great reluctance, but that, having had four years of battling a knee injury, he knew he had to concede defeat after another relapse in training last week. “It has been a fantastic 11 years,” he said of his United career. “I’m just proud to have played for this club.”

Ferguson hopes to welcome back Rooney within three weeks, considerably sooner than the initial prognosis...

Excellent news..if true.. :D

Ferguson hopes to welcome back Rooney within three weeks, considerably sooner than the initial prognosis

Excellent news..if true.. :o

Yes, it's good news, but as you and I have both said on this forum, they still need to go out and buy a penalty box striker.

The Berbatov rumour continues, but I really can't see United getting him util at least the mid season window. But, then again funnier things have happened.

Edited by mrtoad

European Cup Draw

Thursday 30th August 2007

United to play Roma (again), Sporting and Kiev.

Match dates are as follows:

Wed 19 Sep - Sporting Club Portugal away

Tues 2 Oct - AS Roma home

Tues 23 Oct - Dynamo Kiev away

Wed 7 Nov - Dynamo Kiev home

Tues 27 Nov - Sporting Club Portugal home

Wed 12 Dec - AS Roma away

The full draw is:

Group A: Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

Group B: Chelsea, Valencia, FC Schalke, Rosenborg

Group C: Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiakos

Group D: AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E: FC Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

Group F: Manchester United, AS Roma, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev

Group G: Internazionale, PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow, Fenerbahce

Group H: Arsenal, Sevilla or AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague

redrus

Fresh Start

Ole on his new life

From the MEN

"It is time to move forward after an emotional and tiring day," the Reds legend said, after his decision to quit when his knee trouble flared again.

"Everything has happened so quickly and I have not had a meeting yet about in what capacity the manager wants me to carry on. But we've had little chats. We have talked about doing some coaching here and that will be great.

"It is a new path and it is still a bit unsure. But we will speak about what will happen. Nothing is set in stone yet but we will find something that is good for both sides. That will happen in the future.

"However, in the first place it is the plan to start my coaching career at United. I will now be on the opposite side of the white line and I'm starting from scratch.

"I need my coaching badges and I will be working towards them. I have always wanted to learn and I have now got a lot of learning to do on the coaching side.

"My education will be done at United and there is no better place to do it. Ultimately, yes, I'd like to stay on and teach someone else here everything I have learned.

"I have been so fortunate to have worked for the best manager in the world and from first day to last I have also worked with some of the best players in the world at Old Trafford.

"I have always tried to take notes and study the gaffer very closely so I have learned from the best," Solskjaer added.

"Once I get my official UEFA badges we will see what happens from there."

He is also extremely grateful for the support he has received through the years.

"The gaffer has been an amazing boss and the medical staff have been brilliant," Ole added.

"They don't get the public praise they deserve but they have been fantastic for me. They helped me a lot.

"The support I have had from the fans through good and bad times has been very touching. It has been a great relationship.

"During my injury problems I had sackloads of letters from them. That was a very big motivation for me.

"I wasn't able to answer them all but I really was grateful for their support. It's been a fantastic 11 years, I'm privileged to have played at this club."

United Owe Thanks To A Bertie

Aage Hareide on Ole Solskjaer.

Former Manchester City defender Aage Hareide on selling Solskjaer to United.

"Sir Alex phoned me up a lot to get my opinion on players in Norway," Hareide (then manager of Molde) said.

"He knew I knew Manchester and the English scene and wanted my views on certain players and how they might do in England.

"Then finally came the day when the call was about one of my players. Sir Alex asked about Ole Gunnar. I knew we would miss him badly but you can't stand in a player's way when Manchester United come along.

"I told him: `You've got to sign him.' And he did. United got him for £1.5m! I think they owe me some money considering what they got!

"I knew he had the skill and dedication to succeed even at such a huge club. Ole was always a keen planner and wanted to learn and improve. He always had a goal. He was very dedicated.

"But he would never go anywhere unless he felt he was ready. He wouldn't have gone to United if he hadn't felt it was the right time.

"He told me once that Hamburg and Cagliari from Italy were interested in him. But he didn't feel he was ready to leave Norway so he stayed.

"But he's a quick learner. He knows how to adapt and behave so when he went to United I felt he was suited to both the club and to Sir Alex Ferguson.

"The great thing about Ole is he has never changed. I worked with him at Molde and then 11 years later I worked with him again when he returned to the Norwegian international squad and I was his manager. He was the same Ole.

"No matter what he had achieved in between he was still the same guy.

We all bow in thanks to the way you handled your career Ole, especially in these times. Magnificent example of player and man.... :D:o

redrus

Edited by redrus

Rooney wants to return now.

From the Daily Mail

Manchester United are having to rein in Wayne Rooney's enthusiasm to make a first team return ahead of schedule.

The 21-year-old England striker was ruled out for six weeks, including England's crucial European Championship qualifiers against Israel and Russia on September 8 and 12, after breaking a metatarsal for the third time in his career during United's opening Premier League fixture against Reading.

However, he has declared himself "fit and ready to play" to team-mates and is eager to figure as soon as possible — even believing he could return ahead of his newly-scheduled comeback at Everton on September 15.

Indeed, manager Sir Alex Ferguson revealed the striker's desire to return last weekend.

Ferguson said: "Rooney's fine. He's jogging and he even wanted to play against Spurs! Typical Rooney, he wanted to play with an injection. It's quite possible he'll be back in three weeks."

United have been working with Nike to study Rooney's bone structure, the way he runs and his footwear to try to avoid a repeat of the injury.

Ferguson said: "We're looking at his running style. It is very powerful and he comes down heavily on the ground. I went across the whole range of issues involved with Nike and they are not slow in getting solutions to make sure everyone's happy, particularly their players."

redrus

Fergie's Reaction To Draw

Friday 31st August 2007

We hope we can get 10 points

"It is a very tight group," said Fergie. "Dynamo Kiev are a good side. We also have two of Sporting Lisbon's former players, so we know a bit about them. The whole group possesses some very interesting aspects. We hope we can get 10 points. It will be difficult but if we can get that I think we will qualify."

Uefa Promise To Protect Us

Friday 31st August 2007

Er, ta?

From the Times:

'A hush overcame the Grimaldi Forum as AS Roma were placed in the same Champions League group as Manchester United yesterday, just four months after the bloodshed and mayhem that accompanied their meeting in last season's competition. Even a man as football-centric as Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that "Roma is obviously the talking point after what happened last time" - and on this occasion he did not have his team's spectacular 8-3 aggregate victory in mind.

'Distressing scenes marred the Italian club's 2-1 win in the quarter-final first leg at the Olympic Stadium in April, as United's supporters were ambushed by the infamous Roma "Ultras" outside the ground and clashed with riot police inside, with 11 forced to spend the night in hospital. Nor did the second leg in Manchester go peacefully, with rival supporters fighting on the Old Trafford forecourt under the statue of Sir Matt Busby on an evening of 21 arrests.

'Uefa, European football's governing body, pledged last night to offer United's supporters the necessary protection on their return to Rome, but officials from the Serie A club were keen to emphasise that there were also faults on the English side last time. "What happened last season was a shame for football," Antonio Tempestilli, the Roma team manager, said last night. "We are sure the Justice Minister and the police department will act very strongly to avoid a repeat of that. But I hope the same sort of measures will be used in Manchester, too. We must not forget that Roma fans were attacked out there."

'William Gaillard, a special adviser to Michel Platini, the Uefa president, said:. "We will take special care of Manchester United fans because we know they had trouble. We will tighten up security. The Italian FA have a new training programme for stewards and we hope that will make a difference. It means we will have well-trained stewards instead of riot police."

Capable Hands Confident Of A Trouble Free Trip To Rome

redissue

Friday 31st August 2007

He was once confident that the Glazers' bid was dangerous for the club!

David Gill, "What we need to do is do our homework and work very closely with Roma. I'm sure the lessons have been learnt by Roma and the authorities from last year. We believe our fans acted very properly and were found to be broadly blameless. I think we need to all to work together to ensure the game is remembered for what happens on the field as opposed to off it.

"We will discuss it with Roma and UEFA to make sure it is remembered for what happens on the field and make sure everyone travels in safety. We have got to be confident, we are confident against every team we play. We have a great squad and are looking forward to the challenge of the Champions League immensely."

redrus

Fergie Interview

Friday 31st August 2007

To be screened on Setanta tonight…

…you can subscribe via the link on the side of the Red Issue forum if you want to see it and don't already have the £9.99 a month package.

Extracts from Des Lynam's interview with SAF printed in the Times:

DL How do you assess your start to the season?

AF The first three games were absolutely magnificent performances. I've spoken to a couple of managers who have told me that we are better than last year. Our performance level has been excellent but the missing ingredient has been sticking the ball in the net. I think we can still catch up the teams ahead of us but it's not going to be easy.

DL One of the ways to solve the goals-coring problem would be to go out to the marketplace again?

AF Yes, we've looked at the market but it's pretty difficult when you get to August. You have to be aware of not diving in and making mistakes. I think we've got enough quality here and if we don't get someone in then we'll carry on with the players we have got.

DL Now you face one of your old players this weekend. What's your relationship like with Roy Keane?

AF Good, I get plenty of texts off him. He's got the basic ingredients to make it to the top. He's got a good knowledge of the game, he's intelligent, he's strong-minded, he can make a decision and that's a great start. What he doesn't have at the moment is experience. He did a fantastic job last year to get Sunderland promoted but you are in the big pool now - you are in amongst the sharks.

DL Was he the best player you have ever signed?

AF He wasn't the best player in terms of ability but he was the best in terms of influence. Certain people do well because they have a fire in their stomach. I see a bit of myself in him. I think that most managers want to see themselves on the pitch and with Keane I certainly saw that.

DL If you won the European Cup again, would that satisfy you, would you retire?

AF That's a difficult one. I think the time for me to go would be when it was affecting my energy levels and health. We are controlled by our health and age catches us all but at the moment I'm feeling good.

redrus

Fergie keeps Berbatov pot bubbling

20070831 11:04

Sir Alex Ferguson has stated his admiration of Spurs' Dimitar Berbatov but refused to reveal if Man Utd made a bid this week.

The United manager told Setanta's Des Lynam that he had "looked on the market" after injuries to Wayne Rooney and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at the start of the season but said he did not want to "dive in" and make a mistake at this late stage.

But Ferguson admitted he was impressed by Berbatov's performance at Old Trafford in the 1-0 win over Tottenham last Sunday.

"When Tottenham were in gear it was through Berbatov really," he said.

Ferguson refused to confirm that he had made a bid. "I won't go into that," he said, saying United's squad has "enough quality" for the campaign.

redrus

Rooney 'not far' from return

31/08/2007 11:48, Report by Steve Bartram on The Official Site....

Wayne Rooney is making promising progress in his recovery from a fractured foot, although he will not play any part in Saturday's game against Sunderland.

The 21-year-old was expected to be out for around eight weeks after suffering the injury on the opening day of the season against Reading.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson revealed last week that he is already keen to return to action and, while the striker won't be rushed back, a scan next week could provide the all-clear to make an early comeback.

"Wayne's still got a bit to do yet, but he's not far away," the Manager told his pre-Sunderland press conference.

"He's been working really hard in the gym and he won't have a lot to pick up when he comes back, in terms of his fitness. He's going for a scan at the end of next week and hopefully that will give us a good result."

redrus

Fergie keeps Berbatov pot bubbling

20070831 11:04

Sir Alex Ferguson has stated his admiration of Spurs' Dimitar Berbatov but refused to reveal if Man Utd made a bid this week.

The United manager told Setanta's Des Lynam that he had "looked on the market" after injuries to Wayne Rooney and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at the start of the season but said he did not want to "dive in" and make a mistake at this late stage.

But Ferguson admitted he was impressed by Berbatov's performance at Old Trafford in the 1-0 win over Tottenham last Sunday.

"When Tottenham were in gear it was through Berbatov really," he said.

Ferguson refused to confirm that he had made a bid. "I won't go into that," he said, saying United's squad has "enough quality" for the campaign.

redrus

I'd love us to sign him, but I'd rather they wait until the next window and maybe get someone in loan if they can't get someone comparable.

Hardly an inspiring game to watch, but I'll take the three points as oposed to the one point that looked likely for a long period of the game. Good to see Saha back and getting on the score sheet. Hopefully he can now stay fit.

Thge more I think about it, the more UNited are begining to resemble the Arsenal side of last year. Lots of nice play, creating plenty of chances but failing to kill teams off. They really need to get their act together in front of goal.

Thge more I think about it, the more UNited are begining to resemble the Arsenal side of last year. Lots of nice play, creating plenty of chances but failing to kill teams off. They really need to get their act together in front of goal.

Behave....! :o

redrus

Manchester United 1 Sunderland 0

by Footymad

Match report from last night's home win in the encounter versus Sunderland

Roy Keane would have left Old Trafford with his head held high after his Sunderland team sweated blood and almost denied Manchester United their second victory of the season at Old Trafford.

Although they created little in the way of chances, Sunderland chased and harried a Red Devils team still well short of the form that won them the Premier League title last season.

Keane was lauded as a hero by the United fans, who worshipped him during his 12 successful years as a player at Old Trafford, while the manager's name was rarely off the lips of the Sunderland fans.

But it was a man feeling his way back from injury for United who proved a real hero of Old Trafford.

After lacklustre first half in which United had about as much bite as a toothless bulldog, Louis Saha stepped off the bench and into the scorebook.

A half-time replacement for Anderson - making his Premier League debut after a £13.2million summer move from Portuguese side FC Porto - Saha struck with the only goal of the game in the 72nd minute.

Nani swung over his corner from the left and Saha sneaked in between Dickson Etuhu and substitute Daryl Murphy on the near post to nod the ball beyond Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon and into the net.

Scotland goalkeeper Gordon had an outstanding game for Sunderland as did deadline day buy Danny Higginbotham - a former United player.

Gordon denied United several times with his best save coming from Saha in the 57th minute.

Owen Hargreaves and Chris Eagles carved an opening for the Frenchman, who brilliantly brought the ball down over his shoulder before hitting a blistering 25-yard dipping volley which was superbly turned behind by Gordon.

United's only first-half threat came in the last ten minutes of the period.

Anderson's cross-field pass set-up Carlos Tevez on the left side of the Sunderland box and the Argentinian's shot from 12 yards was well saved by Gordon at full stretch.

Gordon kept out Nani's 25-yard drive after he had worked a fine one-two with Eagles, while Paul Scholes twice went close with shots in the closing seconds of the half.

Sunderland's only real threat came from a half-chance which fell to new signing from Southampton Kenwyne Jones on the hour, but United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar was alert to clear the danger.

Barclays Premier League, Saturday 1st September 2007 @ 17:15; Old Trafford

Click for Manchester United squad list

Saha 72

Starting Line-ups

1 Van der Sar

3 Evra

6 Brown

5 Ferdinand

15 Vidic

18 Scholes

17 Nani (O'Shea 84)

8 Anderson (Saha 46)

33 Eagles (Fletcher 66)

4 Hargreaves

32 Tevez

Substitutes

29 Kuszczak

22 O'Shea (Nani 84)

16 Carrick

24 Fletcher (Eagles 66)

9 Saha (Anderson 46)

17 Goal Attempts 4

9 On Target 1

8 Off Target 3

0 Hit Woodwork 0

1 Offsides 0

6 Corners 0

10 Fouls 7

Starting Line-ups

1 Gordon

5 Nosworthy

14 Higginbotham

6 McShane

18 Leadbitter

4 Etuhu (Miller 82)

33 Wallace (Stokes 82)

15 Collins

19 Yorke

16 Chopra

17 Jones (Murphy 69)

Substitutes

13 Ward

35 Kay

12 Miller (Etuhu 82)

11 Murphy (Jones 69)

9 Stokes (W

redrus

Views From The Broadsheets

Sunday 2nd September 2007http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_images/ip.boardpr1183049877/folder_editor_images/rte-underlined.png

Underline

SUNDAY TIMES

Roy Keane was given the warmest of welcomes, but nothing else on his return to his alma mater yesterday, his Sunderland team battling with impressive spirit and determination for 72 minutes, only to fall victim to the injury-plagued Louis Saha's first Premier League goal since December.

United have suffered for the lack of a conventional centre-forward since opening day, but they have one now. The improvement Saha brought about after replacing Anderson at half-time was such that it called into question Sir Alex Ferguson's decision not to start with the penetrative Frenchman.

As soon as he got on the pitch, Saha showed the attacking thrust and purpose the defending champions had lacked in a desultory first half, and he would have scored earlier with a tremendous solo effort, but for a notable save from Craig Gordon whose saves when United finally got out of second gear made him second only to Saha in the man-of-the-match ratings.

The winner was a classic centre-forward's goal, headed in at the near post from Nani's corner. Gordon's maladroit part in it, coming to meet the corner and not getting there, was his only mistake.

The one was always going to be enough against opponents of limited ambition, who had come looking for a goalless stalemate.

For Sunderland it threatens to become a long, hard season. Defeat by Liverpool last weekend was not entirely unexpected, but a midweek thumping from Luton Town in the Carling Cup was a real shock to the system, and that opening day victory over Tottenham is but a distant memory now. Keane sought defensive security in a 4-5-1 formation, with his new signing from Southampton, Kenwyne Jones, ploughing a lone furrow up front and Michael Chopra pushing forward to join him from the right side of midfield. Jones was not Sunderland's only newcomer. Danny Higginbotham, who was recruited from Stoke in midweek, was given his debut in central defence. The two new men worked their proverbial socks off, but have the look of Championship players elevated above their station.

For United, goals have been unusually scarce in the continuing absence of Cristiano Ronaldo, who was completing his suspension yesterday, and Wayne Rooney, who is itching to get back into action, but not quite ready.

Hence it was a puzzler, given the fact that Carlos Tevez is not an orthodox centre-forward, and needs the support of one, that Saha stayed rooted to the bench for so long.

Ferguson suggested afterwards that after a six-month lay-off Saha was not fit enough to last 90 minutes, but added: "He came through well, with no problems, and it's a relief to have him back."

OBSERVER

Sunderland could not manage a miracle on Roy Keane's return to Old Trafford, though Louis Saha did provide a lesson: Manchester United cannot function without a centre-forward. Before his goal, United were in danger of surrendering another two points to determined but ordinary opponents. Things should improve when Cristiano Ronaldo returns from suspension and Wayne Rooney from injury, and they need to. On this evidence the idea that Carlos Tevez can lead the United attack appears wildly misplaced.

The retirement of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer earned a guard of honour on the pitch and had both sets of fans united in applause before the kick-off, although when the PA system had finished playing a truly awful version of 'Country Roads' - killing the spontaneity of the anthem as well as inserting naff new lyrics - it was possible to hear all four sides of the ground affirming 'There's only one Keano'.

The returning hero would scarcely have recognised his old team - no Ronaldo, Rooney, Ryan Giggs or Gary Neville; Michael Carrick on the bench and starts for Anderson and Chris Eagles - though his present team was much altered from the one that started the season. For Sunderland, new arrivals Kenwyne Jones and Danny Higginbotham were pushed straight in, with Paul McShane moving to right-back to accommodate the latter.

With players on both sides still introducing themselves to each other, the game took a while to get going. Sunderland had Jones on his own up front most of the time, while rather weirdly United had no one. Tevez and Anderson were merely a notional front pairing. In practice Anderson spent more time in midfield, partly because Paul Scholes stationed himself almost as deep as Owen Hargreaves, while Tevez, who is even less happy with his back to goal than Rooney, took up forward positions without seeing enough of the ball.

By the mid-point of the first half neither keeper had made a save and the only goal attempt of note was an early rangefinder from Nani that drifted wide. United were not able to stretch Sunderland sufficiently, so Dwight Yorke, also returning to his old ground, spent a surprisingly comfortable first half hour strolling around in front of his back four. When Yorke finally made a mistake, losing out to Anderson in the 33rd minute, United surged forward and Tevez forced a save from Craig Gordon to give the first half its only highlight. Unless you count the Sunderland fans taking advantage of the eerie silence with a cheeky chant of 'Who are you?' followed by a chorus of 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'

At the conclusion of a scoreless first half the Sunderland fans felt sufficiently emboldened to sing 'You're not very good', and it was true. United were all midfield and no attacking focus. They either needed to bring Saha on or get Scholes further forward. As if to underline the point, Scholes ended the first half with a shot deflected just the wrong side of a post. It was just about United's best effort in 45 minutes.

Saha replaced Anderson at half time and United's shape improved immediately. Their football became less convoluted, too. When Rio Ferdinand launched a long ball forward for Saha to nod down and enable Tevez to hit a shot on target it was practically route one, though no one was complaining. When Saha produced a terrific shot on the turn after an hour, only to see it equalled by a top-quality save from Gordon, the crowd came alive and it felt like the match had finally started. None of United's midfield midgets, as the bloke in the row behind the press box rather unkindly dubbed the starting line-up, would have managed so direct an attack.

INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

Roy Keane says he has not been sleeping well, so Triggs the dog could well have been out for a dawn walk again this morning. Sunderland's fourth successive defeat without scoring a goal was more predictable than the 3-0 Carling Cup hammering by Luton Town, and only came after 72 minutes of dogged resistance; but the Premier League's youngest manager might have wanted his side to put up more of a show on the stamping ground he graced so proudly for 480 matches.

The opportunity certainly existed to have left with a point, even if there was never a serious possibility of taking three, for Manchester United bore little resemblance to champions on the day and needed the introduction of Louis Saha at half-time to inject an attacking threat. It was fitting that on his first appearance since last season's Champions' League semi-final in Milan he should score the winning goal, only United's fourth in the last 10 games.

Until then, they had looked disjointed with an unfamiliar line-up featuring Chris Eagles and Anderson in their first starts of the season as part of an attacking quartet with Nani and Carlos Tevez, though not the injured Ryan Giggs.

Tevez is much happier dropping deep off the main striker and once Saha came on he was able to roam to greater effect. Sir Alex Ferguson was nevertheless relieved to collect a second successive 1-0 victory, admitting that it had been "a long day".

Keane was surprisingly upbeat about a performance in which Sunderland failed to produce a goal attempt worth the name. "I was relatively pleased with the attitude and effort," he said, "though of course we'd have liked to have tested the goalkeeper more. I believed this morning we had a chance of a positive result and we almost got there. I'm more than confident we'll be fine by the end of the season. The reception I got was fantastic but United have always been good to me."

Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce and Steve Coppell have all returned to Old Trafford in charge of Premier League teams and will do so again this season but it is fair to say that none received as rapturous a welcome as Keane's. Never one to bask in adoration, let alone milk it, he walked along the touchline with nothing more than an occasional nod of acknowledgment. He looked more comfortable offering his own applause to a former team-mate Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who took a bow to say sad farewells to the crowd after being forced to retire last week.

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

The prodigal son, if such a description could ever be applied to a man of Roy Keane's considerable achievements, did his best to embarrass his old club on his first return to Old Trafford. And although he was turning the air bluer than Gordon Ramsay as he urged his men on in the final minutes, he will have found much to have pleased him in the performances of his Sunderland players.

In the end, Sunderland fell to a goal that will bring Keane's managerial judgement into question, following a mistake by Scottish goalkeeper Craig Gordon, a man for whom the manager persuaded chairman Niall Quinn to pay an eye-watering £9 million.

Without that error, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson would have been all but surrendering his team's Premier League title before the nation's children return to school.

Keane had come out of the tunnel before kick-off smiling and offering handshakes to bewildered Old Trafford staff who were probably expecting a kick in the shins. But as he emerged on to the pitch he once graced, chewing gum as furiously as his previous master, he briefly had to surrender centre stage to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who had been persuaded to take a final bow after retiring through injury.

What an occasion for United fans, waving goodbye to their sunshine, their only sunshine on the day that the man who was their thunder reminded them of what they were missing. It took two men, Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes, to fill the holding midfield role once occupied by Keane and between them, they could not produce a thimble-full of his driving force in the first half.

Despite all the summer spending on somersaulting goalscorers, there was once again a curious lack of devil about the Red Devils. Only once in the opening 45 minutes did they even ask questions about that £9 million valuation of Gordon, Carlos Tevez driving in a fierce shot after running on to Anderson's diagonal through ball.

Ferguson's shrewdest move would have been to invite Keane to give his half-time talk in the home dressing room. He might also have asked him to repeat his famous prawn sandwich oratory over the loudspeakers to wake up supporters who had been shamefully outsung by Sunderland fans.

Instead, Ferguson indulged his own attacking instincts by prematurely ending the first start of Brazilian Anderson and sending on Louis Saha in an attempt to shake Sunderland out of their comfort zone. Keane would have both challenged and threatened his players to prove that they could compete in such an arena against the Premier League champions and he would have been proud at their response.

Match Quotes

Keane delighted with reception, Saha feeling great, Ferguson happy with three points.

Saha:

"I have had a lot of critics. But I play with 100 per cent commitment and I am happy to be back.

"It was a great feeling to score, but the most important thing was to win because we couldn't allow the gap [between United and the top four teams] to get any bigger.

"It's not just about my goal though, I thought the whole team played brilliantly in the second half.

"Being out injured is never easy for a footballer, but I've worked very hard to get back.

"I think any United player who has been out injured has to work twice as hard because we have so many games across the course of the season. So I'm just glad to be back."

Ferguson:

"The first half our passing was far too slow and we were not making many chances.

"In the second half we brightened up. Louis gave us a target and improved our play. But it was a long day.

"Louis Saha gave the players a target. He's very much needed, with his speed and his strength we've missed him so we're delighted to have him back.

"He is different from the rest of our players and, for the first time, they looked pretty edgy at the back."

"I thought we deserved to win the game but it was a long day.

"Anderson played his first game, Tevez played through on his own and I think he's better when he's playing behind someone, Eagles is a young lad, Nani too. It's new for them so there was a lack of understanding, and naturally you would expect that."

More:

"The international break has come at a good time for us.

"It will give us a chance to get well prepared for the Everton game because the players we have to come back will make a difference."

Keane:

"I have to say the reception I got from the United fans was fantastic.

"It's small consolation at this moment in time because we lost the game. Nevertheless I'm very grateful because they've always given me nothing but great support.

"We would have been happier if we'd have tested Edwin van der Sar a bit more and to lose a goal on a set-piece is disappointing.. But that's the nature of the Premier League, one mistake and you're punished.

"I told the players before the game to go out there and enjoy it and give 100 per cent. When you come to places like Old Trafford you have to enjoy it and I think the players did.

"Of course we're disappointed we didn't get anything out of it, but I was delighted with the players' attitude."

United Targeted?

Sunday 2nd September 2007

'Rival groups from China and Dubai are gearing up to launch moves for United in the next few months.'

NOTW:

Manchester United are the target of two staggering £1billion takeover bids.

Rival groups from China and Dubai are gearing up to launch moves for United in the next few months.

And they know the Glazer family — which owns the Old Trafford club — won't even consider any offer below £1bn.

The Chinese consortium have already had an offer of £850million turned down earlier this year-as Sport of the World exclusively revealed at the time.

But they are refusing to be discouraged and will be back with another attempt to own the world's biggest football club, which has a massive commercial market in Asia.

The Arab group — with connections to the Emirates royal family — have kept a low profile but are now ready to make their own move.

A United source told us: "The Chinese people literally have billions behind them and the Dubai group are not far behind.

"It could turn into a bidding war and that will push up the price. That will leave the Glazers facing huge pressure to sell.

"They have an enormous debt which was raised when they bought United and the temptation to cash in and make a profit of over 295m will be hard to resist."

A financial insider added: "The Glazers have publicly stated they are not interested in selling but even their resolve will be tempted by an offer close to 1.5bn.

"It's a phenomenal sum for a football club but it reflects fairly accurately United's worth.

"No other club has such a mass appeal as United.

"Globally, they have an incredible attraction and that's why it's no surprise a Chinese consortium are waiting in the wings. Dubai has already shown interest in Liverpool but United are the ultimate prize — and there will be influential people in that part of the world who would consider it a shrewd investment even at 1.5bn."

redrus

More on the Roma build up, this will go on and on............................

Ferguson After Roma Protection

redissue

"What disturbed us, at the time when we watched the video footage, was that all the police were in the Manchester United section. There were no police in the Roma section so they were free to hurl all sorts of objects at our fans."

More:

"There was a story that the Rome police were scared to go in among their fans. Well, I find that quite incredible.

"Hopefully, lessons have been learned about what happened last time because someone could have been killed. In fact, when you saw some of the scenes, it is amazing nobody was killed. Our fans took appalling abuse and the scenes were sickening.

"So, that's an instant reminder to us that there needs to be good behaviour from our fans, who I didn't think did a lot wrong from what I can gather. But, nevertheless, they will have to be absolutely vigilant, not be intimidated and go and watch the game and enjoy it. That's what I expect them to do."

More still:

"'Two European Cups are not enough for Manchester United,' he said. 'Winning another is the one remaining great ambition. It has to be."

"You see all the great names on the trophy who have won it numerous times but none of them are greater than us.

"We have been in the semi-finals quite a few times but only reached one final. We have to improve on that record."

redrus

Striking Role For Solskjaer

redissue

Ferguson hands him a coaching job.

"It was interesting, because as soon as I told Ole I wanted him to help us with coaching, in particular with the strikers, he said 'It's okay, I've got all the DVDs'.

"He'd got our sports science department to get him all the DVDs of all the strikers - Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes, all of them. So right away he was into it, which is fantastic."

"We want him as part of our coaching team this season. He will assist us with the technical part, particularly with the strikers. I believe he will be a good trainer,

"He was a fantastic player and a human being, a dedicated footballer. All that you all know about Ole Gunnar is quite true. There are no myths around him. He is a genuine man, and has been a credit to our club, to himself and to his family."

"It had become a bit inevitable, watching him try to come back from his latest operation. He realised he had given everything he could.

"Ole always understood a coach's job in terms of the difficulty of picking a team. He always understood why I sometimes left him on the bench. I never needed to explain why.

"When we played Spurs on Sunday, I told Chris Eagles and Dong Fangzhou, two of our young subs, to watch the game and I'd rap their knuckles if I caught them talking.

"They watched the game, concentrated on everything that happened, which is what Ole used to do. That's the legacy he's left us."

redrus

we have not killed teams off only 3 goals scored but!!! we are still on 2 points off the top,we have ronaldo back after the international break thats when our season kicks in.

as far as the irish liverpool fan in the bar in pattaya said liverpool cannot be stopped it is our year, how many times have we heard that it is still september.

we have not killed teams off only 3 goals scored but!!! we are still on 2 points off the top,we have ronaldo back after the international break thats when our season kicks in.

as far as the irish liverpool fan in the bar in pattaya said liverpool cannot be stopped it is our year, how many times have we heard that it is still september.

You lost your two most dangerous players early on, and have some new players who need a bit of time to gel. So it all got messed up. Just a slow start, but I can't see Utd taking too long to get it together.

Can't rely on one player though...

Tuesday 2nd September 2007

It's seems orgies are ok

Kaveh Solhekol in the Times predicts no club fine for Ronaldo after inviting escorts to his home.

Ronaldo is unlikely to be fined by Manchester United after the Portugal winger was accused of organising an orgy with five prostitutes and two team-mates at his house nine days ago. Juliana Baltrusch, a 24-year-old Brazilian prostitute, who works for Mckenzies escort agency in Leeds, and two of her colleagues have claimed that they attended a party at Ronaldo's £3 million Cheshire home with Nani and Anderson and two other prostitutes after Manchester United's 1-0 victory against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford.

Sir Alex Ferguson discovered on Thursday that the allegations would be made against the three players over the weekend, but the United manager showed his faith in Nani, the 20-year-old Portugal winger, and Anderson, the 19-year-old Brazil forward, by selecting them to start in Saturday's 1-0 victory over Sunderland. Ronaldo was suspended after being sent off in the Barclays Premier League match against Portsmouth last month, but is expected to return in two weeks for United's next Premier League game, away to Everton.

Baltrusch claims that she was driven to Ronaldo's house with four other prostitutes and told to help the three players, two of their friends and an unidentified "fat man" to celebrate United's first victory of the season. "I recognised Ronaldo straight away from watching the World Cup last year," Baltrusch said. "He's my idol. I've always fancied him."

According to Baltrusch, the party cost the players £3,000 — paid for on a handheld credit card swipe machine that she carries in her handbag — and during the four hours she spent at Ronaldo's house she "dirty-danced" with the winger, performed a sex act on Nani and joined Anderson in bed for "a no-holds-barred spanking session".

Ferguson has a well-earned reputation as a strict disciplinarian and several former United players who crossed his path will be scratching their heads after discovering what the present generation of players at Old Trafford are reported to be getting up to.

Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson could escape club fines because they were partying within the confines of a private house, the incident happened on a night after a game when no curfew would be in place and United did not have a match for another six days.

The only worry for the United management would be the reaction of the club's owners, the Glazer family.

The details of the five women who are reported to have attended the party, were removed from Mckenzies website yesterday. "We are a highly respected escort agency, so it's no surprise that top Premiership players decided to use our services," a source at the agency said. "We hear that Ronaldo was very happy with our girls. In fact, that's probably an understatement." :o

redrus

We Went Down To Wembley One Fine Day In May

Tuesday 4th September 2007

Extract from Bobby Charlton's new book

'Although all of us were, to various degrees, affected by tiredness during the 1968 European Cup final, we were still quite pleased by the prospect of extra time. When you looked at Benfica, you could see that they were close to their limits of endurance - probably nearer to theirs than we were to ours.

'"Look, they've gone, they're knackered," Wilf McGuinness said. I heard him telling Nobby Stiles, who had run endlessly in his effort to contain Eusébio: "Come on, Nob, another half an hour and you're home."

'The Old Man was keen that we did not sprawl on the pitch during our respite. I remembered Alf Ramsey making a similar point after Wolfgang Weber had forced England into extra time two summers previously. "Come on," Alf said. "You've got to get to your feet now. If they see you getting up before you need to, they will think you're all right."

'Now, looking over to Benfica, it was easy to remember Alf's point. The Portuguese were down and just about out. Two minutes into extra time, our weary legs found new energy and our optimism was confirmed. Alex Stepney kicked downfield and, as Fernando Cruz, the Benfica centre back, struggled to control the ball, George Best was on him and carrying it away, free and closing on José Henrique's goal. As he dribbled the ball around the goalkeeper, I shouted: "Knock it in, knock it in!" Eventually, in a second that seemed like an eternity, George sent the ball towards the net. Henrique struggled and he could not get there in time. George had done it.

'"That has to be it," I thought. I could not see them coming back, not after Brian Kidd scored a minute after George. I could not see the fans out there in the dark, but I could hear them. I had to hold back the tears that would make my eyes sting when I thought about what this meant.

'Then, when I scored again with 21 minutes to go, we really began to believe that the game was over. It was a beautiful feeling. It was triumph and deliverance all wrapped into one, but the deepest emotion would take a little time to well up. For the moment, we still had to drag our bodies around and forget how much had been drained from us this night.

'When the final whistle went, my strongest sensation was worry for the Old Man. He had been through so much and this was the pinnacle of his football life. For days he had been reminded of the meaning of the game, the legacy of Munich and how his boys had died in pursuit of this trophy.

'Eventually, he got to his players and hugged them. I cannot tell you precisely my feelings at that moment. I do recall what it meant to embrace teammates like Bill Foulkes, Nobby Stiles and Shay Brennan, who had been involved in this quest for so long - and maybe especially Bill because, like me, he had been on the snowy airfield and seen Matt Busby down and his team, our friends, destroyed. I know there was an understanding that something was over, something that had dominated our lives for so long.'

redrus

Edited by redrus

Dowie Not Looking Forward To Tomorrow

redissue

Tuesday 4th September 2007

Coventry fear Ronaldo and Rooney

Dowie, "It's more like a theatre of nightmares. I've hardly ever won there. But we'll go there, play our game and try to be competitive.

"They are the biggest club in the world and I'm probably the biggest admirer of Alex Ferguson there is. I don't think people give him enough credit for what he does, which is to play attacking football, to entertain.

"I'm not looking forward to his team-sheet, because it looks as if he could be shaping to bring back Rooney and Ronaldo, so I might have to try a new formation - 10-1 or something."

:o

redrus

Smith receives Fergie thanks

United boss tells striker it was hard to let him go

By Lewis Rutledge Last updated: 4th September 2007

Smith receives Fergie thanks

Smith: Happy with contribution

Alan Smith has revealed that he received a letter of thanks from Sir Alex Ferguson for the part he played in Manchester United's success.

Smith joined Newcastle this summer after Ferguson admitted he could no longer be guaranteed regular football at Old Trafford.

But Ferguson has shown his appreciation for Smith and conceded it was a difficult decision to let the player go.

Smith, who battled back from injury last season to help United claim the Premier League title, told The Sun: "I must have done something right when I was there for the manager to take the time to send me a message like that.

"I was really pleased to get the letter. He thanked me for my contribution to Manchester United and told me what a difficult decision it was to sell me.

"I understand that. There are no hard feelings."

Smith is thrilled to have joined The Magpies, who are unbeaten so far this season, and is looking for his new side to challenge for a place in the top four.

Silverware

"I've been lucky to move from one big club to another and, hopefully, I can help bring some silverware to Newcastle after so many years without a trophy," he explained.

"I'm not saying we will win the league but it is as open as I can remember. It is not going to be so easy for the top four to beat the rest.

"A lot of clubs have spent money and are aiming at the Champions League, which is good for the competition."

England hope

Smith has been included in the England squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia, and is hoping to start after playing in the recent defeat to Germany.

But he accepts that Steve McClaren may view him as a useful option rather than an automatic starter, due to the fact that he can fill a number of different positions.

Smith said: "I want to play for England and help us qualify for those finals and I won't be happy if I'm left out. But the boss will do what he has to do.

"Perhaps the fact I can play in midfield and up front gets me into the squad, but maybe versatility counts against you when it comes to being in the team."

redrus

Wish Smith well, I think he was pretty unfortunate with injuries and also squad rotation. He possibly could have done a lot better at United, but I was impressed with the way that he applied himself and got back into the side last season , and contributed well in the run in.

I was never convinced that he was a midfielder, but one thing that you can't fault is his commitment, and he is a lot better footballer than people give him credit for.

Wish Smith well, I think he was pretty unfortunate with injuries and also squad rotation. He possibly could have done a lot better at United, but I was impressed with the way that he applied himself and got back into the side last season , and contributed well in the run in.

I was never convinced that he was a midfielder, but one thing that you can't fault is his commitment, and he is a lot better footballer than people give him credit for.

.........and, a better footballer than some still on our payroll...............!!!!! :o

redrus

Sir Alex hurt in alleged attack

Sir Alex was allegedly attacked at a London train station

Sir Alex Ferguson has suffered minor injuries after an alleged attack at a London train station.

It is understood the Manchester United manager was on his way to a function when he was allegedly attacked by a man at Euston station on Monday afternoon.

A British Transport Police spokesman confirmed that 65-year-old Sir Alex suffered leg injuries.

A 40-year-old man has been charged with actual bodily harm, assault and a public order offence.

He is due to appear at at Westminster Magistrates' Court, central London, on Wednesday.

Sir Alex, who was born in Glasgow, is not believed to have been badly hurt and attended the planned function in the city.

Source BBC.

What sort of <deleted> attacks a 65 year old man for no reason? What a total moron.

After atching nearly all of the game, my short walk up the road to anpther bar coincided with the United goal being scored. Then had to endure Arsenal beating Spurs, but have to say that Adebayors goal at the end was a beauty. Only realsied that United had one when the scores came up at the end of the game, so a smile did come back to my face.

Good to see Vidic on the scoresheet, but it is still worrying the real lack of goals that we are scoring at present as it just increases the pressure on the defence. Hopefully, a few players will be returning to full fitness in the coming weeks, which should make a difference. Luckily, results in general yesterday went our way.