Manchester United

redrus

After atching nearly all of the game, my short walk up the road to anpther bar coincided with the United goal being scored. Then had to endure Arsenal beating Spurs, but have to say that Adebayors goal at the end was a beauty. Only realsied that United had one when the scores came up at the end of the game, so a smile did come back to my face.

Good to see Vidic on the scoresheet, but it is still worrying the real lack of goals that we are scoring at present as it just increases the pressure on the defence. Hopefully, a few players will be returning to full fitness in the coming weeks, which should make a difference. Luckily, results in general yesterday went our way.

Three 1-0 wins in a row for the mancs , that lot you've got up front will only get better as the season continues .

Why didnt Rooney play last night ??????? , and Vidic is Steve Bruce :o .

yes vidic very simular to steve bruce,a great goal.

we have not played really well and 3 wins on the trot.

think fergie wants to give rooney another weeks rest maybe he will play against chelsea or in europe midweek.

think tevez is getting better each game,poor guy been thrown in the deep end up front on his own, thought ronaldo was very average maybe feeling the eefects of a midweek game for portagul.

teves played a full game,i was supprised has he played in australia a long flight back, anyone who has done that flight knows how draining it is.

Quotes, articles, squads and weather

Ferguson:

"This season's European campaign will, of course, have added poignancy.

"We set out every year to win this competition but there is no doubt that, while the club's focus is resolutely on the present, many minds will wander inevitably to our tragic past."

About the match:

"I think we have got a wee bit to go in terms of formulating our team.

"Rooney will be involved. His training performances since last Monday have been excellent. But what I start with I probably won't finish with. I think that if we can get Saha to stay fit, it would be a big bonus because he is different from the rest. I think he is key.

"There is no question of the ability of the lads.

"Tevez is getting there, fitness wise; he did well for us on Saturday. Rooney has only had one game but has been training hard.

"When you have got these players with that ability there is no question it bodes well for us. They are intelligent enough, there is no question about that. I think Ronaldo is different from the other two in that he can play in the wide positions. I think Tevez and Rooney prefer to play central.

"It gives us a good chance in the Champions League this season because we have got the experience of playing European games.

"Scholes and Giggs, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Nani can win games."

On Ronaldo return to Sporting Lisbon:

"It is always difficult when you sign a boy of that age.

"He has to grow and develop and also get used to living in another country, which is never easy. Under those circumstances, the rapidity of his rise has been absolutely amazing. Now we are seeing a maturity in his performance of someone in their mid-20s."

Ronaldo:

"It is maybe my second home.

"I played here for seven years. I have a lot of friends here. In Benfica everyone booed. I think it will be a good reception [tonight]."

The Independent:

It is for matches like these, away from home against fluid, resourceful opposition, that Sir Alex Ferguson paid Bayern Munich £18m for Owen Hargreaves in the summer. It is almost inevitable, therefore, that when Manchester United take to the field against Sporting Lisbon tonight, Hargreaves will be at home in Cheshire, watching on television.

The England midfielder, a Champions League winner with Bayern in 2001, was yesterday denied a European debut for United due to the thigh strain which also ruled him out of England duty last week.

Gary Neville, John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher and long-term injury victims Mikaël Silvestre, Park Ji Sung and Ben Foster are also absent, but Wayne Rooney did travel and may make his first appearance since sustaining a broken foot on the first day of the season. Rooney is likely to be on the bench but he admitted he is desperate to return to action again.

"I've been dying to play and I let the manager know I was ready. I feel I could have played a few weeks ago and I'm a bit disappointed I haven't. But it was probably best in the long run."

United have only met Sporting once in competition, winning 4-1 at Old Trafford then losing 5-0 in Lisbon. But as that was in the European Cup-winners Cup 47 seasons ago it is hardly relevant. More significant is the friendly in 2003. A little-known 17-year-old winger was so impressive in Sporting's 3-1 win that Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs spent time on the flight home imploring Ferguson to sign him. Within weeks a £12m fee had been exchanged for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ferguson is concerned with how the referee treats Ronaldo than the supporters. The official is the German Herbert Fandel who has previously dismissed Roy Keane and Paul Scholes in European competition. When asked about Fandel, Ferguson buried his head in his hands before adding, probably tongue in cheek: "We need a supply of Mogadon [a sedative]."

Daily Mail:

The sight of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the plane to Portugal yesterday morning was both poignant and fitting as the hero of Manchester United's 1999 Champions League triumph begins to learn the ropes as a coach.

Solskjaer's career as a striker of remarkable instinct has certainly ended prematurely. Those of his ilk do not come along that often.

But in the Jose Alvalade Stadium tonight the Norwegian will look down on United's future.

Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez will share a football field in United colours for the first time as manager Sir Alex Ferguson finally parades the triumvirate he believes will win him another Champions League.

With Rooney cleared to play after his early recovery from a broken foot and Argentina striker Tevez given further opportunity to shake off the effects of a long summer, this is almost the United that Ferguson envisaged when he sat down with his staff last May and identified just how they could take the extra step once more in Europe.

However, Owen Hargreaves — the England midfielder signed in the summer from Bayern Munich — will be missing with thigh trouble.

We will have to wait a while longer to see the European bow of the player that Ferguson feels will make his team defensively secure in the competition.

But seeing Ronaldo, 22, Rooney, 21, and Tevez, 23, together — not to mention veteran forwards Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes — is a sight that will warm the hearts of those who hold United's attacking traditions dear.

BBC Team News:

Wayne Rooney returns to the squad for the first time after fracturing his foot on the first day of the season.

John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher (both knee), Park Ji Sung and Ben Foster (ligament problems) are all out.

Defender Mikael Silvestre has been ruled out for the rest of the season after rupturing cruciate ligaments on Saturday.

Right-back Gary Neville is still short of full fitness after a calf strain.

Carlos Tevez, Anderson and former Sporting player Nani will get their first taste of Champions League action with the Red Devils.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Heaton, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, Pique, Evans, Evra, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Nani, Gibson, Eagles, Martin, Giggs, Rooney, Tevez, Saha, Fangzhou.

BBC Weather:

28°C. Sunny spells and rain is forecast for today.

redrus

Wednesday 19th September 2007

Sandy Busby hoping for Munich tribute.

"I always thought it was very fitting that the 1968 team should win the European Cup on the 10th anniversary of Munich and, 50 years on, I don't think there could be a more fitting way for Manchester United to remember everyone who died than by winning it again.

"My dad would be looking down, along with all the lads who were killed, and they would be so proud if the team can do it again."

The Guardian:

United are close to announcing plans for a new memorial outside Old Trafford and, to discuss the proposals in detail, have set up a working panel including Gill, the long-serving secretary Ken Ramsden and the freelance journalist David Meek, who worked as the United correspondent on the Manchester Evening News from 1958 to 1995. One idea under consideration is for the players to wear a one-off replica shirt from 1958, devoid of shirt numbers and sponsors' logos, when they play Manchester City on February 9, the closest game to the anniversary.

Frank Swift, a former City player, was among those killed in Munich, working as a News of the World reporter, and United will involve their neighbours so, in the words of one Old Trafford official, it is not just a Manchester United event but something to unite the entire city.

"I'm delighted and I know the supporters will be, too, because what happened in Munich, and the terrible loss of life, was the biggest moment in the history of Manchester United," said Sandy Busby. "And one thing about United is that they are extremely good about recognising the history of the club and remembering the people who lost their lives."

* Sandy Busby is Sir Matt's son.

redrus

Agreed nev....

Did you see the big Sporting flag at the beginning going over the top of the fans. It was covered in their colours but, on the left hand side had their badge and ours. Really nice touch that I thought.

redrus

PATRICE EVRA: LET'S DO OUR JOB

Patrice Evra has urged United to block out the goings-on at Chelsea and focus on producing a match-winning performance against the Blues on Sunday.

Jose Mourinho’s shock departure could throw the team’s pre-match preparations into turmoil. Conversely, it could see Chelsea’s players close ranks and produce a defiant display. United, on the other hand, are buoyed by a fourth 1-0 win in a row - this time against Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League.

“It was a good win in Lisbon,” says Evra. “We looked strong and once more didn't concede. I'd prefer to win more than 1-0 but a victory is what matters and now everyone is confident for a win against Chelsea.

“United versus Chelsea is always a big game. It's dangerous for us to think Chelsea aren't playing well or might be in trouble. We need to look after ourselves.”

Defeat for either side on Sunday could have serious repercussions on the title race, even if Evra insists it’s far too soon to discuss winning the league.

“There are more teams competing this season," Patrice points out.

"Liverpool look strong. You also have Arsenal, Chelsea, ourselves… even Blackburn. It will be even tougher than last year but, again, we must concern ourselves with our own game.”

redrus

Nev and Rus I agree, it was good to see that the Sporting fans have some respect for United and the links between the club. Pretty much higlighted by Ronaldo's subdued celebration. There's enough shit going on within the game without getting petty. In fact Sporting have done pretty well financially out of united in recent seasons and there is obviously a bit of a link between the clubs.

As regards Evra, I agree with what he has said, but does he really need to say it? I'd much rather the players just get on with securing the three points, which I hope we do this weekend.

Happy that Mourinhio has gone though, afterall he's a rteally good manager, and I very much doubt that there new appointment is in the same calibre, more aa Abramovich puppet.

Agreed nev....

Did you see the big Sporting flag at the beginning going over the top of the fans. It was covered in their colours but, on the left hand side had their badge and ours. Really nice touch that I thought.

They're just a bunch of 4rse lickers :o

Hows the weather back in Boston? :D:D

Agreed nev....

They're just a bunch of 4rse lickers :D

Been raining nearly all week but the soccer's been good :o:D

Edited by mrbojangles

Agreed nev....

They're just a bunch of 4rse lickers :D

Been raining nearly all week but the soccer's been good :o:D

:bah::bah:

I can't wait to watch a bit of socerrrrrrr, with a few budweisers :o

Boston, is that what they call Stockport now. My, I have been away some time....! :D:D

I can see it now, Mr B, sat on a bar stool drinkin Buuuuud, wearin Nike'eeeeees shouting banter to some septic called Avram down a cell phone...... :o

redrus

Agreed nev....

saw the banner but did not see our crest on the banner very nice touch.

redrus

Boston, is that what they call Stockport now. My, I have been away some time....! :D:bah:

I can see it now, Mr B, sat on a bar stool drinkin Buuuuud, wearin Nike'eeeeees shouting banter to some septic called Avram down a cell phone...... :D

A little joke Red. When we met up in Bangers, Zaza for some reason, thought i was American :D So i have been renamed Boston BoJangles and now call football "soccer". It went on from there to "Texas Toad", "Seattle Scouse". Chavy would have got a nic but he left the building.............without telling us !! :o

We tried to chase him but he was too quick. Ooooh, idea. He can now be called "Chavy Chase" :D

Boston, is that what they call Stockport now. My, I have been away some time....! :D;)

I can see it now, Mr B, sat on a bar stool drinkin Buuuuud, wearin Nike'eeeeees shouting banter to some septic called Avram down a cell phone...... :D

A little joke Red. When we met up in Bangers, Zaza for some reason, thought i was American :D So i have been renamed Boston BoJangles and now call football "soccer". It went on from there to "Texas Toad", "Seattle Scouse". Chavy would have got a nic but he left the building.............without telling us !! :o

We tried to chase him but he was too quick. Ooooh, idea. He can now be called "Chavy Chase" :D

:bah: So its true then..........! :bah::o

redrus

Well, the big one tonight. Hopefully Man Utd can match good old Torquay United and secure the three points in emphatyic fashion. United have threatened in a fair few games to score a hatful, and tonight would be a perfecty time to deliver. :o

Certainly won't take anything for granted though as Chelsea have the players, it will just be interesting to see how they respond to the events of the past few days.

Really entertainig first half, which United have largeltydominated. So far Vidic and Evra have been excellent, and Tevez's goal was a brave effort, which some players would have backed out of.

I'll be honest, and say that I though that Mikel was unlucky to get sent off, as there didn't appear to be any malice in it, other than a player losing control; and overstretchin. Yes, it was clumsy, but certainly not a red card. According to the commentators Dean has dished out 14 reds in his last 20 games :o

Look forward to the next 45 minutes, and hope we can finish this game off with a good result.

Really entertainig first half, which United have largeltydominated. So far Vidic and Evra have been excellent, and Tevez's goal was a brave effort, which some players would have backed out of.

I'll be honest, and say that I though that Mikel was unlucky to get sent off, as there didn't appear to be any malice in it, other than a player losing control; and overstretchin. Yes, it was clumsy, but certainly not a red card. According to the commentators Dean has dished out 14 reds in his last 20 games :o

Look forward to the next 45 minutes, and hope we can finish this game off with a good result.

Kerry Dixon stole the show tonight. Gordon McQueen was all over the place tonight along with Arthur Albiston. Ron Atkinson out!!

[

Kerry Dixon stole the show tonight. Gordon McQueen was all over the place tonight along with Arthur Albiston. Ron Atkinson out!!

Sunderland, you must have been watching your reserve squad. I hear that Keane has signed all of them becasue they are very experienced, and more importantly they once played for Manchester United. Okay, Big Ron is now you technical advisor. :o

Edited by mrtoad

Manchester United 2 Chelsea 0

by Footymad

Match report of this afternoon's home win in the clash against Chelsea

Chelsea's week of turmoil ended in the worst possible fashion as they were beaten 2-0 at Old Trafford by reigning Premier League champions Manchester United.

Coming hot on the heels of the departure of the iconic Jose Mourinho, this defeat at Old Trafford was like an uncomfortable dream which turned into the worst of nightmares.

They survived a good penalty shout for United after 17 minutes, but then lost John Obi Mikel through a controversial sending-off by referee Mike Dean a quarter of an hour later.

With the game 35 seconds beyond the signalled two minutes of first-half injury time, Chelsea went behind to a Carlos Tevez goal.

Then, seconds from the end of normal time, they suffered from another controversial decision when Tal Ben Haim was adjudged to have brought down Louis Saha in their box and the Frenchman converted the resultant spot-kick.

It was a baptism of fire for new boss Avram Grant, but a magnificent result for United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The result, only United's second win in 12 competitive games against the Londoners, put them two points behind league leaders Arsenal.

It was also the first time United had scored more than one goal in a game in 11 matches - an amazing statistic for a side oozing with flare.

United could have had a penalty in the 17th minute when Joe Cole wrapped his right leg around Patrice Evra's ankles as the Frenchman raced into the Chelsea box.

Mr Dean waved play on, but was more pro-active after 32 minutes. Mikel, whose move to Stamford Bridge from Norway was surrounded by controversy after he looked to be heading to Old Trafford went diving in with a tackle on Evra.

The tackle was poor and badly timed, but a booking seemed the most likely punishment and those both on and off the field seemed surprised at Mr Dean's decision.

Ten-man Chelsea held on until the game moved towards the third minute of first-half injury time.

Chelsea failed to clear Ryan Giggs' corner. Wes Brown headed the ball back to Giggs hovering on the right edge of the penalty area and he produced a exquisite left-foot cross to the near post.

Tevez beat Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech to the ball and the Argentinian's brave header nestled in the net - his first goal for United since a summer move from West Ham.

If Mikel was unlucky to be sent off, fortune smiled on Joe Cole, who received only a yellow card for his dreadful 74th minute foul on Cristiano Ronaldo.

United's second goal in the final minute came from a penalty award when substitute Saha went over in the Chelsea box after he seemed to make contact with the back of Ben Haim's leg.

But Saha took full advantage of the situation and his straight-driven left-foot spot-kick hit the back of the net with Cech diving to his right.

Barclays Premier League, Sunday 23rd September 2007 @ 16:00; Old Trafford

Tevez 45

Saha 90 (pen)

Click for Chelsea squad list

Starting Line-ups

1 Van der Sar

3 Evra

6 Brown

5 Ferdinand

15 Vidic

18 Scholes

16 Carrick

7 Ronaldo

11 Giggs

32 Tevez (Saha 79)

10 Rooney

Substitutes

29 Kuszczak

19 Pique

22 O'Shea

17 Nani

9 Saha (Tevez 79)

18 Goal Attempts 4

10 On Target 1

8 Off Target 3

0 Hit Woodwork 0

0 Offsides 0

10 Corners 1

10 Fouls 15

Starting Line-ups

1 Cech

20 Paulo Ferreira

26 Terry

3 Cole, A

22 Ben Haim

15 Malouda (Wright-Phillips 69)

12 Mikel

10 Cole, J (Pizarro 76)

5 Essien

4 Makelele

7 Shevchenko (Kalou 59)

Substitutes

23 Cudicini

33 Alex

24 Wright-Phillips (Malouda 69)

14 Pizarro (Cole 76)

21 Kalou (Shevchenko 59)

Referee

M Dean, Wirral

Attendance

Man. Utd. Cards

Rooney 61 dissent

Brown 80 unsporting behaviour

Chelsea Cards

Mikel 32 serious foul play

Cole 74 unsporting behaviour

Terry 83 unsporting behaviour

redrus

View From The Broadsheets

Dean helps United to a win

The Guardian

The contrast with the Jose Mourinho era took the expected form. Avram Grant's Chelsea lost to Manchester United, a failing almost unknown when the Portuguese was in charge. Football, admittedly, is too complex ever to be covered by that sort of bald summation. Yesterday, for instance, the outcome must have been affected by the dubious red card for the visitors' midfielder Mikel John Obi when the match was goalless.

Once United had scored, with Carlos Tevez notching his first goal for the club, Chelsea enjoyed no more than a meaningless rally. Sir Alex Ferguson's side remembered to keep ample numbers behind the ball and spirited breaks by the visitors petered out, with no genuine saves required of Edwin van der Sar. Those seeking to have their emotions stirred were best advised to keep their eyes on the referee.

The most that can be said for Mike Dean is that he was entitled to show a red card and to give a penalty. The official, though, will not be pardoned for making those decisions in incidents that did not merit them. While Mikel overreacted after losing control of the ball in the 32nd minute, the stretching challenge that bit into Patrice Evra's left ankle merited a caution instead of the third dismissal of his Chelsea career.

There was no relation between the real incident and the two-footed lunge indicated by Dean. Penalty rulings were equally haphazard. With less than a minute to go Tal Ben Haim, face to face with Louis Saha, made the merest contact with the substitute and the Frenchman, cocking a snook at the laws of physics, fell forward. His conscience did not distract him from converting the penalty.

All things considered, a just verdict may have been reached by accident. The opener came through a rare piece of artistry that merited some reward. Even then, however, Dean could be faulted. Two minutes of first-half stoppage time had been completed, but the referee let play continue after Chelsea had dealt with a corner.

Wes Brown knocked the ball accurately towards Ryan Giggs on the right and the veteran bent it exquisitely towards the near post with the outside of his left foot. Tevez beat Petr Cech to the cross and headed his first goal for United from close range.

The Argentinian had a productive day, roaming and linking when United went on the attack, yet it is at least as relevant that Ferguson's team have racked up a fifth consecutive clean sheet. They might not look as if they are related to the effervescent line-up that won the Premiership title last season, and Arsenal are the sole team in the top flight who can be recommended wholeheartedly for style and excitement, but United rise to second place in the table.

The Telegraph

On the day that "Avram Who?" became "Avram Why?", Chelsea lost a player, two goals and three points to compound the disaster of losing the inspirational Jose Mourinho. If they are to rebuild for the future, Chelsea must appoint a more substantial successor to Mourinho than Avram Grant, who possesses neither the leadership skills nor the coaching licence.

As Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich sat alone with his thoughts in a deserted directors' box at the break, serenaded by United chants of "You've Lost Your Special One", even the Russian oligarch must have acknowledged that success comes to those who employ high-class managers and then leave them alone. Arsene Wenger's vibrant Arsenal lead the Premier League followed by Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United, who are beginning to find their elegant stride.

Chelsea supporters must surely hope that Grant is merely a caretaker while they await the arrival of a heavyweight manager such as Fabio Capello or Marcelo Lippi or even that bright, young Teutonic thing, Jurgen Klinsmann. The unexplained presence of Marco van Basten, the highly admired Holland coach, in the smart seats must have excited Chelsea followers.

Visitors were greeted by local wags with "We hear it's cold down at Chelsea - it is Minus One but it is a Special One!" Mourinho's departure was certainly mourned by the away fans, who signalled their displeasure with chants and banners. "Jose Mourinho - Simply The Best" read one.

When Mikel over-ran the ball in midfield after 30 minutes, Patrice Evra slid in for a routine piece of mopping up. Angered by his own carelessness, Mikel carried through with his right boot slightly raised, making contact with little Evra, who went somersaulting through the air. Brandishing a red card, Dean called the challenge "two-footed", although Mikel's left foot made no contact. "There was intent, and he could have hurt the boy, but it was still harsh for him to go," said Ferguson. "Some referees would have let it go."

Grant emerged from the dug-out, indicating that Chelsea should switch from 4-1-2-2-1 to 4-4-1 with Shevchenko isolated in attack. The ball inevitably came largely into United's domain. One Giggs free-kick was brilliantly met by the excellent Nemanja Vidic, who beat Terry to power a header goalwards. Petr Cech saved superbly, echoing his feat in the first minute when he had pushed away Wayne Rooney's curling shot.

Chelsea's keeper was beaten deep into stoppage time. In the wake of a Ryan Giggs corner, the busy Wes Brown headed the ball back down the inside-right channel to the Welsh winger. Chelsea froze. Shevchenko should have closed down Giggs. Terry should have tracked Tevez's run towards the near post. Giggs bent the ball in with the outside of his left foot, Tevez escaped Terry and nipped ahead of Cech to score with a wonderful flicked header. United fans turned and did 'chin up' signals to Abramovich.

The Times

Mike Dean had some big calls to make at Old Trafford yesterday. It really would have spoilt it had he got one right. He gave a penalty that was not; missed a penalty that was; sent off a player that did not deserve it; merely cautioned one that did. When Sir Alex Ferguson describes a red card to an opposition player as harsh, it would suggest an extreme miscarriage of justice. If the jury is out on the new Chelsea manager, Avram Grant, it is because the performance of the referee ruled this match a mistrial.

Chelsea were not particularly impressive, but the dismissal of John Obi Mikel for a tackle that was at worst recklessly overenthusiastic in the 31st minute, ended the match as a fair contest. Denied their two most significant attacking players in Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard, Chelsea were already struggling to contain Manchester United; once reduced to ten men it made the first goal a matter of time, and roughly 14 minutes later one duly arrived.

In this way, Dean ensured that few are any the wiser about Grant or his regime. Had he continued to hold United to a goalless draw, what would he have done to win the game late on? Would understandable early caution have given way to a more expansive style? Would he have thrown a second striker on, perhaps moved away from the 4-3-3 blueprint of José Mourinho? We must wait and see; the dead hand of Dean killed the game, as surely as Grant's solemn demeanour and a series of hangdog touchline expressions are doing no favours for Chelsea's hopes of sending a global brand around the world, after the departure of the handsome, smartly attired and compelling José Mourinho.

Grant had little to crack a smile about, once Dean ripped a hole in his solidly-constructed midfield, by showing Mikel a straight red card for a tackle that warranted at most a yellow, if that. Mikel's tackle on Evra may have looked two-footed from Dean's angle, but replays showed Mikel led with one and mistimed his arrival only slightly.

As should Joe Cole when, in the seventeenth minute, he chased Evra back into Chelsea's penalty area from along the flank, before attempting a diving tackle that took the ball, but only after removing the player first. As the crowd roared for a penalty, Dean signalled a firm negative in front of the Stretford End. Full marks for bravery, zero for accuracy. Anyone can take the ball if the man can be sent airborne, too, and Chelsea could have been a goal down almost 30 minutes before Carlos Tévez opened the scoring.

Even that goal, his first of the season, was not without controversy. Dean's assistant showed that two minutes of injury time would be played at the end of the first half, but there were more than three additional minutes on the clock when Tévez met a perfect cross from Ryan Giggs at the near post to glance the ball past Petr Cech.

United were much the better team and deserved the win, incredibly the first time since April 28 that Ferguson's team have scored more than a single goal in a game. Chelsea's premium performer was Cech, whose first-half display in goal was exceptional, including saves from Rooney, Michael Carrick, Tévez and a quite stunning stop after a glancing header from Nemanja Vidic.

redrus

Ferguson Unhappy With Decisions

Yet he is chuffed with the performance

Ferguson Post match: "I've seen the sending off incident and it was maybe a bit harsh, but there was intent there,"

"Joe Cole's tackle was the type of tackle that puts players out of the game.

"That was a red card, but he only gets a yellow because they already had a player sent off."

He said: "The second penalty was harsh, but it cancelled out the first.

"Referees can get things wrong, but it didn't affect the result.

"We were the better team. We've got our confidence back."

The style and the tempo were back.

"Our football in the early parts of the match was outstanding - in the first half-hour we played as well as we have all season in terms of the penetration of our play, the movement and our passing.

"We could have been two or three up early on. Petr Cech made a great save from Wayne Rooney right at the start and we were dominant at that point.

"I think the real turning point was the goal just before half-time. It was a real blow to Chelsea. At that point we had complete control of the match."

Avram Grant has more reason to feel unhappy.

Grant said: "There were so many things - the sending-off, the fact that they signalled two minutes of extra-time and scored after three, and the penalty,"

"Sir Alex Ferguson can be more than happy with the referee. The referee tried his best but he made three mistakes; the red card, their first goal and the penalty. I am also surprised Rooney was not shown a second yellow card.

"Maybe I am being naive but I wonder what Sir Alex's reaction would have been if he was in my position."

Nah, Alex isn't a sore loser................. :o

redrus

[

Sunderland, you must have been watching your reserve squad. I hear that Keane has signed all of them becasue they are very experienced, and more importantly they once played for Manchester United. Okay, Big Ron is now you technical advisor. :o

Mr. Toad, the guru of Devonian league football, you are quite right. Can we have some more of your OT golden oldies??? Frank Stapleton could do a good job for us.

[

Mr. Toad, the guru of Devonian league football, you are quite right. Can we have some more of your OT golden oldies??? Frank Stapleton could do a good job for us.

I was thinking more along the lines of Ralph Milne. He owns the Queens Head in Nailsea(an area you know), and I'm sure Keano can persuade him to play a game for a pint of Stella. :D An excellent replacement for Richardson who is injured at present.

Don't Be Fooled By The Attendance Tonight

Wednesday 26th September 2007

Reality of Cup scheme will be seen tonight

The Times:

Eight days after Chelsea played a Champions League match in front of only 24,973 spectators, Manchester United expect to record an attendance of more than 70,000 for their Carling Cup third-round tie against Coventry City this evening, although that impressive figure may be announced against a backdrop of empty seats at Old Trafford, or, at least, discontent among many of their supporters.

Under a controversial ticketing scheme, which has been made compulsory this season, United's 57,000 season ticket-holders are required to buy tickets for every match in all three cup competitions, regardless of whether they wish to attend. With Coventry expected to take at least 11,000 supporters to Old Trafford, the official attendance is guaranteed to be at least 68,000, but while the figures delight those in the Old Trafford boardroom, the scheme is deeply unpopular among United fans, who see it as symptomatic of the unwelcome changes since the Glazer family's takeover of the club in 2005.

"I wouldn't like to estimate the number of knockdown tickets I've been offered for this match from season ticket-holders who don't want to go, but have been forced to shell out for these tickets," Mark Longden, of the Independent Manchester United Supporters' Association, said. "The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, when we see whether there are huge empty spaces for this game.

"I wouldn't be surprised if there are. I don't resent paying top dollar for matches that I really want to see, but I don't like being forced to see a game that I can't afford or I have less interest in. That's why I no longer have a season ticket."

Bloody stupid this, the ground would be full anyway. This is what gives those that often don't get tickets the chance to go.....!!!!! :o

redrus

Free The 20,938

By Editor

Erikkson's army marches on.

City win 1-0 at home to Norwich.

Article continues below

Sky Sports' Paul Merson said last night on that show they do:

"You definitely wouldn't want a season ticket here."

Free The 20,938

By Editor