Manchester United

redrus

But I was also saying that we only think the league is the best because it is "our" league (I am Welsh).

This is the point though nelly, it's not just us who think that. I live in Saudi and all my Saudi mates watch the EPL more than any other league. Yes, they watch other leagues but it's only ever the top teams they watch like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern and Inter etc. They won't be watching Real Betis V Elche or Valladolid V Sevilla. Whereas with the Prem they know about the so called "lesser" teams and even put me to shame sometimes with their knowledge of the players in those "lesser" teams.

But don't take my word for it. I read only the other week that last year the Prem was broadcasted by about 80 broadcasters to over 200 countries and about 640m homes making it by far, the most popular league in the world.

Please don't get me wrong, I love our football, but it is definately not the best in the world,

I don't think anybody is saying that any particular team is the best in the world but the sum is greater than the parts. What league do you think is better than the EPL and more importantly, what is your criteria for defining "best"?

• Like 1

But I was also saying that we only think the league is the best because it is "our" league (I am Welsh).

This is the point though nelly, it's not just us who think that. I live in Saudi and all my Saudi mates watch the EPL more than any other league. Yes, they watch other leagues but it's only ever the top teams they watch like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern and Inter etc. They won't be watching Real Betis V Elche or Valladolid V Sevilla. Whereas with the Prem they know about the so called "lesser" teams and even put me to shame sometimes with their knowledge of the players in those "lesser" teams.

But don't take my word for it. I read only the other week that last year the Prem was broadcasted by about 80 broadcasters to over 200 countries and about 640m homes making it by far, the most popular league in the world.

Please don't get me wrong, I love our football, but it is definately not the best in the world,

I don't think anybody is saying that any particular team is the best in the world but the sum is greater than the parts. What league do you think is better than the EPL and more importantly, what is your criteria for defining "best"?

At least we agree on something biggrin.png

Not really no. I think its best teams aren't that good. Point in its favour this season is that a number of smaller clubs appear to be noticeably better. But the need to keep hyping it seems really insecure. The bundesliga doesn't seem to need to do it despite being 'better' in pretty much every way. Stronger top teams, better run, better fan experience etc.

You did say the best run didn't you! whistling.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24589671

Team for today........

DDG

RAFAEL VIDIC FERDINAND EVRA

VALENCIA FELLIANI CARRICK NANI

ROONEY HERNANDEZ

Wouldn't mind seeing Januzai in your selection rather than Nani. Rio needs to lift his game or maybe his legs are gone.

and please lets see Kagawa get some time and not the last 10 muntes

I would agree top to bottom the best, and more competitive. I don't think the Bundesliga is all that far behind, followed by La Liga and Serie A. But honestly, I think the worldwide popularity has almost as much to do with extraordinary marketing. The EPL hasn't missed a beat marketing their product.

• Like 1

Good point from JellyDog.

You can watch Spanish league on Thai TV for free. You can't do that with our League.

Favourite teams in Thailand and China are the top Premier League teams. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, United.

You rarely see a kid with a Barcelona or Bayern Munich shirt.

Good point from JellyDog.

You can watch Spanish league on Thai TV for free. You can't do that with our League.

Favourite teams in Thailand and China are the top Premier League teams. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, United.

You rarely see a kid with a Barcelona or Bayern Munich shirt.

I think the EPL has been super successful marketing in SEAsia due to the love of the game here, but also because there is not as much overwhelming interest in their local football. Plus, there is a betting frenzy here on the EPL.

The situation is different in South America where there is an extremely strong interest in local clubs. You don't see nearly as much EPL gear on the streets there. When Tevez was with United you saw a lot of Tevez gear in Buenos Aires, but that was all about Tevez, not United. Many Argentine football fans don't follow football outside of Argentina at all. They might keep track of Tevez and Messi, but overall they just don't care.

Actually SP, I see quite a few Barca shirts here. Bayern ? No.

Edited by jellydog
  • Like 1

Yep. True to say there are quite a few Messi shirts around in Thailand. More in Bangkok than up here in the sticks though.

What would the world do without the beautiful game.

Let's enjoy the weekend footie eh.

( btw. Bit disappointed to date with General Laudrup's invasion of the EPL. Destroyers coming out of Southampton dockyard look dangerous though.)

Team for today........

DDG

ROONEY HERNANDEZ

Wouldn't mind seeing Januzai in your selection rather than Nani. Rio needs to lift his game or maybe his legs are gone.

and please lets see Kagawa get some time and not the last 10 muntes

Yep i agree with you,going off his past team picks he will stick with experience i feel against a very resolute Saints team.

If i was picking the team it would be more like this as i think RVP has a calf strain.

DDG

RAFAEL JONES VIDIC EVRA

CARRICK

ZAHA/valencia FELLIANI KAGAWA WELLBECK/nani

ROONEY

Edit the young lad Januzaj i think should be used sparingly at the moment and brought on slowly..... if he is that good he will be a regular in no time but at 18 he still needs to progress and build up his fitness and body mass to be considered a regular.

Zaha is the interesting one as Moyes has said apparently that he needs to improve on what he is doing day in day out at the club to be picked?

Kagawa will leave for sure as he has now bought his man from Everton that is a shame as he has not been given any sort of chance to show what he is capable of......interestingly it was in the German league that he shot to stardom and apparently they would have him back tomorrow,so maybe he is finding it a tougher league than he played in before...........who knows but he will be not last at United.

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

Interesting point about Kagawa.

Makes me think of Schurrle at Chelsea. Blinding for the German national team but in the Prem...?

Different game I guess.

Have to say, the most impressive import with the most immediate fit in the Prem this season looks like the boy Ozil.

Maybe Ozil is a bit like Messi. Just give me the ball and I'll create magic whoever I'm playing.

Scholes. class.

Edited by SinglePot
  • Like 1

Januzai has today signed a new 5 year contract. Have watched this boy come through the system and ranted many times that he is the best talent I've seen in quite some time.

Has made no decision on his International future ,which country,he has a choice, and why should he not ready at this stage. Great news for United, and him, to secure his future.

• Like 2

Team for today........

DDG

ROONEY HERNANDEZ

Saints must be bricking it...

You mean like they were bricking it when they came to Anfield?

I am a bit slow today rix....what was the score at Anfailed? maybe Bob can remind us.

• Like 1

I think barca, Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and possibly juventus and Napoli are all at least if not much more likely to win it than any English side this season.

First three - absolutely, Stevie.

The others? May look good on their day, but no way would I bet on any one of them over the whole campaign, if they were on equal odds with Arsenal or Chelsea. Man City haven't quite clicked consistently in the format yet, and there are major issues with Man U so far, which frankly surprise me.

On a mathematical level your analysis implies you've decided that Arsenal will fail to qualify from their group (which includes Dortmund and Napoli). Wanna bet? smile.png

Januzai has today signed a new 5 year contract. Have watched this boy come through the system and ranted many times that he is the best talent I've seen in quite some time.

Has made no decision on his International future ,which country,he has a choice, and why should he not ready at this stage. Great news for United, and him, to secure his future.

Well it is up to him now but surely he will be aiming to be playing in Brazil for either Belgium or England whistling.gif the platform is there for him and it could be a slow learning curve or a very fast rise to super-stardom.I sincerely hope it is the latter which means he will be picked because of his performances and will be hard to overlook the International team he chooses.

Well it is up to him now but surely he will be aiming to be playing in Brazil for either Belgium or England whistling.gif the platform is there for him and it could be a slow learning curve or a very fast rise to super-stardom.I sincerely hope it is the latter which means he will be picked because of his performances and will be hard to overlook the International team he chooses.

Isn't Januzai a long shot to play for England in Brazil ? They'd have to really bend a rule about residence to get that done. Or am I wrong ?blink.png

I am looking into my crystal ball and I see Moyes dipping big into the transfer market in January.

The problem is, even with the funds, who would be available in that window? It's notoriously difficult to land a top player at that time of the season, particularly if their target is still in the Champs League. Lets not forget that they could also have lost Januzaj by then.

smile.png

I am looking into my crystal ball and I see Moyes dipping big into the transfer market in January.

The problem is, even with the funds, who would be available in that window? It's notoriously difficult to land a top player at that time of the season, particularly if their target is still in the Champs League. Lets not forget that they could also have lost Januzaj by then.

smile.png

Can't get much by Red. He's got a memory like a rogue elephant.tongue.png

I just like retaliating to bitter remarks wink.png

On the residency thing i have no idea what the rules are but he must be eligible as Hodgson would not be monitoring him.

I think he's two or three years short of the residency requirement Red.

Yes

The sport's governing body Fifa states a player is eligible if "he has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association".

That would mean Januzaj would have to wait until 2018 to represent England, assuming he remains in the country until he turns 23.

But the chances of the forward wearing the Three Lions appear slim with England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales having voluntarily agreed to opt out of the residency rule in 1993.

Instead, they have chosen to allow switches once a player has received five years' education in one of the four countries before the age of 18, which reduces the chances of Januzaj playing for England unless the home nations change their stance.

smile.png

What part of "could" was incomprehensible to you Red? smile.png

So, now you have managed to keep hold of him, do you think that's enough or do you need to strengthen in January?

smile.png

What part of "could" was incomprehensible to you Red? smile.png

So, now you have managed to keep hold of him, do you think that's enough or do you need to strengthen in January?

Ask me at xmas.

We "could" be top and flying by then!! smile.png

Stability, stability, stability.

Former England international Danny Mills on Final Score

Manchester United 1-1 Southampton

"That goal has been coming, and that never happened before. You almost turned up and waited for the bus home.

"They are starting to really struggle now. The fear factor has gone for teams coming to play Manchester United."

1649:

INJURY TIME - Manchester United 1-1 Southampton

Here comes the onslaught - can Southampton hold on? To be fair they have played very well in the second half. There's a rare sight - a glum looking Sir Alex Ferguson in the Old Trafford stands...