Electricity Department And Director Of "Not My Division" {Off Grid Solar}

WtFugarwe

Our land is off the grid. Went to Global House to search for solar panels. GH said they did not sell them sinc the gov't gave them away and to go to Department of Electricity. Neighbor farmer said he had free panels collected back when the gov't ran on grid electric to his property

Went to DOE, here the Director of It's Not My Division told us that program ended 7 years ago."What did you do with the panels?," asks me. " I am willing to pay for them".

"Program ended 7 years ago"

" We need electricity. Can you suggest where to get solar or when you plan to run electric to our land?"

"Sorry."

Edited by Crossy
added reference to solar to topic title

You didn't write where you are located.

I'm close to Chiang Mai.

4 Months ago I got a advertisement flyer from Oelmaier Technology, www.oelmaier.asia, Phone 08 1022 9872.

I don't have any experience with them so I cannot recommend.

As an example they write:

2.45 kw system investment about 415000 THB

Total substitute from Ministry of Energy 230000 THB (if you trust the government). For 10 years they will pay a feed-in adder of 6,5 THB/kwh

Return of investment: about 11 years

Hope this helps

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum and with insufficient information, a double boo boo.

Location is Maha Sarakham, about 1 hour east of Khon Kaen.

Mausbiber--thanks for setting me on the path to electrical enlightment. The journey begins........

I mean this in all seriousness, you sound like you are in the middle of Nakon Nowhere, probably lots of cheap land sitting around doing nothing, grow some crops, like sunflowers & make vegi oil and what it in your diesel gen set during the day and use a UPS like Crossy has in his house, that will run everything by night that is also charged during the day.

Delibratly moving to some where without electricity is just asking for troubles. You have to give and take. If you want 19th century technology you have to move to part of the world that at least offers that. Chances are high that the solar will cost you more than the land many times over !!!! I am trying to be constructive here and think about a reality check. It will be interesting if there is a a good solution offered.

definitely cheaper to run gensets than to rely on solar...the solar installation never pays fer itself...check out rent/purchase arrangements for reasonably sized gensets and you may be pleasantly surprised...with a long term service agreement then OK...

It will be interesting to see what kind of solar setup you can come up with and for what price.

I live on the grid (such as it is) and suffered for six miserable years before I bought this

For the same price as 2.45KW of solar, you can have 11KW of Cummins reliability.

Best investment I've made in Thailand

post-20966-0-08443300-1339308987_thumb.j

SS25-CPGK-RevB.pdf

It will be interesting to see what kind of solar setup you can come up with and for what price.

I live on the grid (such as it is) and suffered for six miserable years before I bought this

For the same price as 2.45KW of solar, you can have 11KW of Cummins reliability.

looks like a nice one...

This isn't solar, nor genset. But if I was to try and do something for a full time "off grid" power supply I'd look into this wind turbine.

Built in Thailand 5KW, don't have a clue as to price but I've sent them an e-mail to see if I can get a price. English phone number up top

Couple of these, and a shed full of batteries, inverter, and you're a power company.

post-20966-0-05878800-1339315853_thumb.j

A quick reply from the wind turbine people.

5KW for a quite resonable price of 578,000 baht, and that includes installation and inverters, I was expecting a millon plus

I don't think you'll get 5KW of solar for that price, but I've never worked it out.

Turbine price.docx

Edited by kwonitoy

A quick reply from the wind turbine people.

5KW for a quite resonable price of 578,000 baht, and that includes installation and inverters, I was expecting a millon plus

I don't think you'll get 5KW of solar for that price, but I've never worked it out.

That is aqtually quite expensive , but the tower seems to be a upmarket one , which probably runs away with half of those 580k . I've checked a lot of systems out and many are not viable .

Wind has nearly no future for most parts of Thailand . There are maps available with windspeeds and most of Thailand is class 2 if i remember correct . You'd be lucky to make 1 kw a day using the 5 kw model .

Solar has gone down significantly , so payback time has gone down . 245W panels are found now in Thailand for 15900 baht and go cheaper if you buy a few . These need batteries and inverters or something similar , but i bet you come very close to 500k for a 5 kW system . A 5 kW system solar will bring daily about 20kWh . The batteries need replacing but this is for both systems equal . The solar panels itself are virtually indistructable , only the max power goes down but it is still over 80% in 25years .

A generator , when on fuel is the cheapest on the start probably but it requires fuel which will add up during the years . Also the generator does not keep going for 20 years , so it needs replacement . A alternative is working with biogas , where your biogas comes for free if you do have a few animals . The generator is more expensive but you'll not need to buy propane for cooking and you do have fuel for free .

Other options are woodgas , if you do have a source of burnable material . There you do have the problem of waste and maintanence . It is pretty complicated to get a good working system without tar .

Solar is viable , and so is biogas . Best is a combination of systems . Only if you do live in a windrich area , then you can go for the windpower option . The best and cheapest system by far is waterpower but for this you need a waterstream , which is very specific to the land you got .

Oh yeah just checked some windpower again ,

US made wind turbine 1600 W , allthough smaller it is just to give a idea ... 32000 baht . This is just the wind turbine so not everything included . Other models similar prices . Like i said , the tower of the 5kw version of you is a very high model , a standard guided one is a lot cheaper . Also the batteries run away with some money .

You could consider a RAPS system, (remote area power system), they combine diesel generation, solar panels, inverter, battery charger and deep cycle batteries.

How far are you from the nearest PEA HV (high voltage) power line?