webfact

GREEN INITIATIVE

Over 70,000 factories to be converted

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30183586-01_big.jpg

Members of the Students

Industry Ministry campaigns for pollution free manufacturing

BANGKOK: -- The Industry Ministry recently found over 20,000 factories across the country are generating pollution and environmental problems.

To promote a "green" economy and sustainable development, the ministry wants to help convert over 70,000 factories nationwide to "green" manufacturing over the next two years.

The ministry's industrial campaign is a part of a sustainable consumption and production policy, urging manufacturers to improve their factories so they are more environmentally friendly.

Permanent secretary Witoon Simachokedee said the Industry Ministry would start its green industrial campaign first with small and medium-sized entrepreneurs. And they expect about 3,000 SMEs to join the campaign.

Witoon was speaking yesterday, on World Environment Day, which is marked every year by the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry. It seeks to lift awareness of environmental issues and encourage political action.

The Industry Ministry campaign promotes "green" production and consumption. It urges firms to improve their production processes so they are less harmful to the environment, and for consumers to buy products from firms that make environmentally responsible products.

There are five steps for manufacturers to improve their processes to become "green", under the sustainable consumption and production policy.

The first step is a "green commitment", which urges all factories to give a vow to reduce greenhouse gases emissions from their production process.

Second is "green activity", which asks manufacturers to reduce environmental impacts that affect communities surrounding industrial areas.

The third step is a "green system" to give certification to manufacturers who improve their production and management systems under the environmental management standard ISO 14000. Fourth is a "green culture" to try to create environmentally friendly behaviour by factory staff. And the last step is a "green network" to build eco-supply chains to lead society towards sustainability.

However, to improve firms that cause pollution and environmental problems in communities, Witoon said he had instructed industrial officials to examine all factories across the country and ask them to improve their production process, to eliminate problems such as pollution.

At the same time, the European Union (EU) has joined with the Industry and Natural Resources and Environment ministries to launch a project called "Switch Asia Programme" to boost sustainable consumption and production in Asia. The project works on the ground with producers and consumers, and at the policy-making level by supporting the formulation and implementation of sustainable consumption and production.

The EU will help to develop regulatory frameworks, undertake information campaigns or help reform environmental taxes to make it easier for consumers and manufacturers to contribute to sustainable development, Veronique Lorenzo, head of the EU's operation section in Thailand, said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-06

From the information provided it sounds like it is all words, no action. What does going 'green' actually mean in this case?

70,000 factories converted to green manufacturing over the next 2 years? Sounds like a case of if the factory puts up a banner and logo saying 'we are green' then they are green.

There does not seem to be any compulsory legislation or requirements, just requests to be more green in the 5 step process . There is step 3, the ISO 14000, but who will be providing certification and checks here?

Green to me means environmentally conscious, reducing pollution and waste, developing clean methods of production. Perhaps there is legislation and rules being applied that are not reported here?

From the information provided it sounds like it is all words, no action. What does going 'green' actually mean in this case?

70,000 factories converted to green manufacturing over the next 2 years? Sounds like a case of if the factory puts up a banner and logo saying 'we are green' then they are green.

There does not seem to be any compulsory legislation or requirements, just requests to be more green in the 5 step process . There is step 3, the ISO 14000, but who will be providing certification and checks here?

Green to me means environmentally conscious, reducing pollution and waste, developing clean methods of production. Perhaps there is legislation and rules being applied that are not reported here?

This sounds like a similar program that was implemented in China to stop smoking. Although they passed a law which made smoking of tobacco illegal in public places, they did not create or identify any agency to enforce this law, nor did they establish any penalties. As a result, nothing changed because nothing changed.

• Like 1

With out clear government support of reducing or eliminating import taxes on energy efficient equipment and solar and wind power generation equipment, we all know is empty words on the government side.

Lets hope people demand a clean air energy replacement for the dams we protest against, or else we and our children will pay the price in further health issues.

yeah right, what about all the pollution companies burning plastic (foam) materials and pollution a whole neighbourhood for many hours per day ? sadly have several that implemented that burn all you want when you want politics after we bought a house in a moo bahn

The awareness is a good start, it still is going to take consumers to buy green products and demand true air/water pollution standards for their neighborhoods! When money stops dominating the bottom line of business and leaders get some long term thinking strategies, the status quo will have to change.(sure).. What we really need is invention and innovation from our new technologies and the many geniuses that have always been the cutting edge in improving our lives. We are all in deep trouble and every nation knows it..

The need for cleaning up industrial pollution and elimnating/reforming its sources is quite obvious. ...however, originally well intentioned and with an endless supply of useful idiots to promote...the "greening of the world" is simply a scam with transfer of wealth and power at its core. What it produces in abundance is bureaucracies and bureaucrats. It affects the cost of production disproportionally to any real improvement to the environment....in my observations.

Edited by Woodcaulk

The awareness is a good start, it still is going to take consumers to buy green products and demand true air/water pollution standards for their neighborhoods! When money stops dominating the bottom line of business and leaders get some long term thinking strategies, the status quo will have to change.(sure).. What we really need is invention and innovation from our new technologies and the many geniuses that have always been the cutting edge in improving our lives. We are all in deep trouble and every nation knows it..

Agree with all you say except "When money stops dominating the bottom line of business" ....The business of business, is business and the bottom line is and will always be the creation of wealth. No profit in it....no point in it, anything else resultant is just a by-product.

Sounds like the minister wants to justify his position by making these statements. No concrete plans to improve anything.

With out clear government support of reducing or eliminating import taxes on energy efficient equipment and solar and wind power generation equipment, we all know is empty words on the government side.

Lets hope people demand a clean air energy replacement for the dams we protest against, or else we and our children will pay the price in further health issues.

Your children will learn to live with hydro-dams or sit around in the dark on a still night.

• Like 1

Wonderfull and heartwarming but 70.000 in 2 years? I believe it when it's done...

I see a lot of show and try to look good inhere. Really how you look is very overrated with the Thai.

So please show us dear Witoon Simachokedee!

While I have nothing against reducing pollution, understand that many "green" measures are a facade or placebo to satisfy the demands from people with no science or engineering backgrounds who happily swallow the pseudo-science fed to them.

the should start with the noise pollution.

beginning with the Public address systems of Temples and Village Leaders than follow by control exhaust noise of Vehicles etc . This will cost nothing and save money in the long run since the PA systems are not needed anymore.

• Like 1

And who is gonna pay for all this?

The factories surely will not cough up any money for this,

many factory owners still have not started paying the higher

minimum wage.

Maybe the Gov't will add it to the budget, but that will only

make envelops thicker and not make factories greener

A little know word, 'greenwash' comes to mind. It's what many corporations do: they do a little adjustment, like putting in more efficient light bulbs, then they splash a big ad campaign crowing about how 'green' they are. Few corporations, particularly in Thailand, know what being environmentally responsible really entails. One recent example: EGAT claims their nuclear power plants will be 100% emission-free. Maybe they didn't realize (or more likely, it's so easy to hoodwink the Thai masses) - that there are fossil fuels used to construct the plants, to mine/process/ship the U, to dispose of the radioactive waste (as if Thais would do that responsibly), and fossil fuels needed for inevitable multi-billion baht decommissioning. A Thai nuclear plant would probably have wires coming in from a fossil fuel-powered electric plant, and all their employees would be driving cars and trucks to and from work.

REAL green values need to be taught in Thai colleges and U's. There's not one class in 'garbology' in any educational facility in Thailand. That's the study of how best to deal with garbage and waste. Again, that's just one tiny example of the large subject of what's green vs what's greenwash. Even the most aware Thais probably wouldn't know the difference.

Another example: 7-11 might have a cosmetic product that's not tested by harming rabbits' eyes. From that one little product, they might construct a greenwash ad campaign to endear their corporation to the teeming masses. Meanwhile, 7-11 continues to have an average of 68 flourescent lamps in each small store, and keeps their large cooler condenser motors running 24/7. Plus, it's usually cold as a fridge (with ac running full bore) in those shops, even when the outside temperature is cool. Have you ever seen a 7-11 with a skylight? ......or anything remotely related to solar heating/ solar power? I haven't either. But they're great for distributing millions of styrofoam cups and plastic bags.

And that's just commentary on one string of shops.

And who is gonna pay for all this?

The factories surely will not cough up any money for this,

many factory owners still have not started paying the higher

minimum wage.

Maybe the Gov't will add it to the budget, but that will only

make envelops thicker and not make factories greener

Maybe with the new minimum wage there won't be 70,000 factories.

• Like 1

Can we say Thailand is the hub of green economy?

No.

Perhaps we can say, 'Thailand is the hub of belatedly copying other country's good ideas.'

OR 'Thailand is the hub of appearance over substance."

OR 'Thailand is the hub where men will be ladies.'

Edited by maidu

What a Joke of an Idea.

I am not sure why this government can never go to the true source.

Its not the manufacturers causing the lion share of polution in this country, it is the 65 million ordinary everyday citizen (enviromental pigs) that is the main problem.

I think it a much better idea to start there. If you could possibly educate the general population (wich I doubt anybody has that kind of sack) the rest would take care of itself.

What a Joke of an Idea.

I am not sure why this government can never go to the true source.

Its not the manufacturers causing the lion share of polution in this country, it is the 65 million ordinary everyday citizen (enviromental pigs) that is the main problem.

I think it a much better idea to start there. If you could possibly educate the general population (wich I doubt anybody has that kind of sack) the rest would take care of itself.

The general population get education, like they get nourishment from soda pop.

Some really basic concepts need to be instilled in the Thai psyche, such as 'DON'T LITTER' and 'don't burn plastic,' and don't trash parks. None of the many villages in my region have a half-way decent place to store trash until its trucked away. It's not difficult: a cement pad, about 3m X 2m, with a 1.5 meter high chain link fence at its perimeter. I'm going to spend my personal money (and use my work crew) to build two or three such receptacles where I reside. I would go via the pu yai ban (village headman), but there's so much talk and manipulation needed to get any message across to them, and I don't speak the language well. Plus, they may want a kick-back from me, as I'm a farang (a kickback for giving a gift to the village? Who knows).

If/when Thailand can get a grasp on the little things related to 'GREEN' issues, then perhaps it will be able to deal with the larger issues like cleaning up its industrial sectors.