Engine Overhaul Done Help !

ray23

Not a ping to be found. Mechanic ran it up 120 not a good diea considering it didn't have KLM on it.

Here is the problem runs hotter then it ever has and only firing on one pistion, Got fire to the spark plugs.

This is the first time I have ever seen the heat light and oil light on except when starting.

Ok what comes to mind for me is timing. Because of the excess heat, cylnder not firing correctly.

I made sure this time no water inlets were blocked by cylicone and had the clyners hones so the clearance is perfect, between it abd the pistion's

Why timing, First mechanic really screwed things up, which led to the rebuild. I don't think he sit the timing and the guys who rebuilt just put back the way they got it.

Make any logic?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What engine overhaul? What bike? Have a link to a previous thread or is this a completely new topic?

There is a thread about a shoody mechanic. But the bike a 1995 Kawasaki has been rebuilt by a different mechainc.

So I'm now 50K into this, I have very little improvement.

The timing is a guess based on how I got the bike back from the first mechainic, with dented pistions and bent valves. Based on that guys performance I would not doubt that he cahnged the position on the timing chain. When the current mechainic did guys work, just put it back together as he found it. Sad when he was provived the shop manual for the bike.

This is where it gets crazy, when you get past the odd exhaust noise it's making the engine sounds pefect. Before it was knocking and banging like crazy.

It's running on one clynder. Oil level is fine coolant level is fine.

I know timing being off can cause an engine to run hot, will it stop a clynder from firing?

The overhaul done is fine. Whatever the problem is, is from what the first nut bucket did. Is i timing got me. The engine heat is mopre then likely what caused the oil light to come on. Whan you start it this morning no oil light.

Someone suggested crossed spark plug wires, would that cause an engine to overheat? This thing doens't backfire so I don't think that is it.

Ya same kind of thread hugely different problem

I'm trying to be careful so I don't screw up the over haul.

Thanks any thoughts are welcome

Quit wasting money on shade tree mechanics and get your bike to someone who knows what they are doing, or fix it yourself. You're retired, so I imagine you should have plenty of free time on your hands. The virago engine is not very complex. One cylinder has spark but doesn't fire could be any number of problems. Are you sure the cylinder is getting fuel? Have you checked the timing? Eliminate the simple possibilities first. And it should go without saying- don't ride the bike if it's only firing on one cylinder!!!

Quit wasting money on shade tree mechanics and get your bike to someone who knows what they are doing, or fix it yourself. You're retired, so I imagine you should have plenty of free time on your hands. The virago engine is not very complex. One cylinder has spark but doesn't fire could be any number of problems. Are you sure the cylinder is getting fuel? Have you checked the timing? Eliminate the simple possibilities first. And it should go without saying- don't ride the bike if it's only firing on one cylinder!!!

Sorry Mai Dai, I'm no mechanic. I think it's timing. Shade tree mechanics is all we have in UDON

Sorry Mai Dai, I'm no mechanic. I think it's timing. Shade tree mechanics is all we have in UDON

RAY. It's a Kawasaki so ummm take it to Kawasaki head office service repair center Rama 9 Bkk. It will surely be worth it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

I had a lovely Yamaha 750 Virago. The engine was running like shit when I bought it, but I* found the problem pretty fast.

An under pressure hose was broken, I changed it and my bike ran fast. Then the biggest mistake! I brought it to our superchangmechanic, to adjust the carbs properly..

He did and from that time on it never run well again,. The first, which is the rear cylinder at a Yamaha V, didn't get enough fuel.

Not long and I had a serious engine damage.

The guy then took my engine apart, I helped as well. It never run like a 750 cc bike, more than a Moped from 1908.

Then the next mistake:

Listening to a foreign " friend" I brought it to another village doctorchangmechanic who even messed it more up.

I was showing both my compression tester a friend had bought in the States, They didn't pucking know for what this thing was!

Please don't drive your bike on one cylinder, if there's a control light on (or off!) you might already have a serious problem. There must be somebody who knows a good mechanic, not a pucking bush chang......

I wouldn't like to go through the whole process again, get it fixed properly and you'll know what you've got.

Good Luck!!!! wink.png

Sent via Chinese supertablet

Edited by sirchai

First, I wish that people would provide some help to those who they are asking for help from. Say a picture of your spark plugs after a short ride.

But to answer your question, yes having your timing off can increase heat and (shockingly) not allow your engine to run. Since every single camshaft I've ever seen has an index mark, pull the cam cover and bump the engine (hit the starter in little increments or put it in gear and push the bike) around until the the marks are lined up...or not.

**edit**

If you think one cylinder is not firing, unplug the sparkplug lead and try and start the engine. If the engine starts, turn it off, reconnect the lead and do the same for the other plug. If the engine starts both ways you know that both cylinders are working.

Edited by dave_boo

IIRR there are service manuals available for some (all?) Virago models. Maybe worth to have a look while trying to find the failure. If you cannot find a mechanic who is an expert for the Virago than better take it to Kawasaki.

EDIT:

Err, sorry, maybe better take it to Yamaha. But the Kawasaki service centers ain't that bad either laugh.png

Getting confused: What is the model of the bike we are talking about. Virago, Kawasaki XY, ...?

Edited by wantan

IIRR there are service manuals available for some (all?) Virago models. Maybe worth to have a look while trying to find the failure. If you cannot find a mechanic who is an expert for the Virago than better take it to Kawasaki.

EDIT:

Err, sorry, maybe better take it to Yamaha. But the Kawasaki service centers ain't that bad either laugh.png

Getting confused: What is the model of the bike we are talking about. Virago, Kawasaki XY, ...?

I think when Ray said it was a 1995 Kawasaki. It kinda gives yhe game away. :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

EDIT:

I think when Ray said it was a 1995 Kawasaki. It kinda gives yhe game away. biggrin.png

Never heard of a model "1995" produced by Kawasaki ;)

Ok guys I'm listening, did as directed both cylnders are firing. Maybe found the over heating problem, we did an inspection on the water pump while it was torn down.. It's in good shape, But there is no water flow, so the cooling system is clogged somewhere.

Photos I don't know what I could show you, new plugs that have 30 KIms, on htem that the mechanic put on it. I would nat have ridden it, the way it is.

Ok no matter what spark plug pull it runs the same way. No way you could switch the spark plg wires the wires are too short

Ideas?

I'm listening and doing as instructed

Edited by ray23

Ok a 1995 800CC Kawasaki Vulcan

I'm sure you've heard of that.

We have a Kawaskai dealer here with a good service department. That being said they will only work on 900's.

Edited by ray23

We have a Kawaskai dealer here with a good service department. That being said they will only work on 900's.

Ray. Have you asked? I dont think the 800 and 900 are hugely different. Maybe contact Rama 9 to see if they will work on it.

Ok guys I'm listening, did as directed both cylnders are firing. Maybe found the over heating problem, we did an inspection on the water pump while it was torn down.. It's in good shape, But there is no water flow, so the cooling system is clogged somewhere.

Photos I don't know what I could show you, new plugs that have 30 KIms, on htem that the mechanic put on it. I would nat have ridden it, the way it is.

Ok no matter what spark plug pull it runs the same way. No way you could switch the spark plg wires the wires are too short

Ideas?

I'm listening and doing as instructed

Please do not swap the spark plugs leads...you'll at best end up not running or at worst screwing up your engine.

Let the engine cool down, remove the radiator cover. Start the engine and let it reach temperature. Do you see movement? If not than something is blocked. Usual culprit on that age of a machine will be the radiator itself. If there is a radiator repair shop nearby, remove it and run it over for a cleaning. If you want to be suprised what 17 years of crap looks like, watch them do it.

Ray. Have you asked? I dont think the 800 and 900 are hugely different. Maybe contact Rama 9 to see if they will work on it.

The 900 is the current gen; has FI (dual TB versus the old single carb), etc. I suppose that the local Kawi dealer could just not want the hassle of dealing with that old of a bike as the OP is trying to get up and running.

800F3.jpg

I understand. But. we are not talking about a peice of junk. The Kawa dealer wants to sale 900's not work on 800's, that seems reasonable to me. You have to source new parts out of the U.S. or Japan. Not a problem getting them just expensive with shipping and tax.

You guys have been a lot of help today along with some other friends. I did the excercise there is no water flow. The radiator was supposed to be cleaned at the rebuild I seriously doubt it was. So that is the first thing on the agenda tomorrow.

With what you guys have told me and going through the manual, I'm leaning towards a rectifier or pick up coil. Once I get it cooled off I have friend who can check that. Most of the bikes in this area are older models.

I've sourced those in Udon on a different bike before.

Thanks for your help guys

Edited by ray23

Without knowing the real condition of the engine and what the differnt "somchai's" may have broken, anything is just a shot in the dark.

What did they (try to) repair? What parts where changed?

From my experience, overheating can be caused by:

1. An air bubble in the cooling system, if so, the coolant system just needs to be bled correctly.

2. You have a leak between combustion chamber and cooling system.

Quite possibly in your case, because you told us, that one cylinder doesn't run properly.

Suggestion: bring your bike to "better" car repair workshop and let them check, if you have exhaust gases (CO) in your cooling system.

Edited by roban

Without knowing the real condition of the engine and what the differnt "somchai's" may have broken, anything is just a shot in the dark.

What did they (try to) repair? What parts where changed?

From my experience, overheating can be caused by:

1. An air bubble in the cooling system, if so, the coolant system just needs to be bled correctly.

2. You have a leak between combustion chamber and cooling system.

Quite possibly in your case, because you told us, that one cylinder doesn't run properly.

Suggestion: bring your bike to "better" car repair workshop and let them check, if you have exhaust gases (CO) in your cooling system.

New pistons, Cylnders honed, piston rings rings. headgaskets crankshaft dampers and valves installed. Hadn't thought of an air bubble. I'll check the shop manual. Radiator won't hhurt anything to have it cleaned. It would seem now that both clynders will fire. Just not doing it propely which make me lean toward electronics

New pistons, Cylnders honed, piston rings rings. headgaskets crankshaft dampers and valves installed

So a lot of possibilities, where they could have messed something up

Cylinder just honed, not bored?

Was the engine damaged somehow, or just worn out?

I ask, because if it had an overheating problem before, the root cause might not have been repaired or even realized.

Have they checked the coolant system for inner leaks?

I mean that way, to put air-pressure on the radiator (coolant system) and check for pressure loss.

If these basics (pressure loss, CO in the coolant system) have not been checked, I could only ask my crystal ball...rolleyes.gif

PS: If one cylinder has a connection between the coolant system and combustion chamber, this cylinder won*t run properly because of the water (steam) which soakes into it.

You have to source new parts out of the U.S. or Japan...

Yepp and because of this, the average tinkerer (somchai), just tends to clean the old parts, or use something "similar".

OT

These old bikes (I owned one too) are just cr*p, when they need serious repairs or overhaul, here in Thailand.

I ended up, bringing 30 kg of spare parts from Germany on my last holiday..sick.gif

Never again...

OT off

Edited by roban

Yep but, those aspects were supervised by a friend who is a retired machinist. Honing was sufficient to get in the alloawable clearances.

The problems I'm having are the same ones I had before the rebuild. The rebuild had to be done because of the actions of the first mechanic. The tests your talking would be great, But I'll be darned if I know anyone in Udon who could do that. Car or bike shop. Udon has grown in many ways. But, in others it's still the sticks.

I got one more place to try, if that doesn't work I will contact a friend in Bangkok gets a recommended shop and mail the bike there.

I'm confident of the last work done, just didn't solve the problem. That being said, then end result is the same. The bike isn't right yet. That is why I came to you guys.

It's funny a new bike forum was started, has a section on good and bad mechanics. None that everyone agreed on as being good. They named just about every shop in Udon.

So the one tomorrow doesn't work out it's Postal time.

Ray - Fuark over in Vientiane is an excellent mechanic, not so far from you, any way you can get the bike there?

Edited by RidersCorner

Ray - Fuark over in Vientiane is an excellent mechanic, not so far from you, any way you can get the bike there?

Vientene woud be great, the bike has a real book on it. But the last I heard you can't enter Lao from Nong Khai with a bike although you can come into Thailand there.

Its kind of hit and miss --- currently they are letting Thai registered bikes north-bound into Laos at Nong Khai, Thailand.

Vientene woud be great, the bike has a real book on it. But the last I heard you can't enter Lao from Nong Khai with a bike although you can come into Thailand there.

Edited by RidersCorner

Anyway Ray, since the bike's not running right you should send it in a pick-up to avoid any more damage to the engine. My understanding is that it's no problem to send a bike across the friendship bridge in the back of a truck, assuming you have all the paperwork for the bike.

If you wanted to, you could send your bike to Bangkok for repairs. Shipping would cost around 2000-2500 Baht and once it's fixed you could ride it home.

Here in Bangkok I'd recommend Dr. Bike as they specialize in cruisers, have good mechanics and charge reasonable rates.

Here's a link with contact info for you:

http://www.dr-bikeba...m/store/contact

ที่ตั้ง : 168, 166 ซอยโชคชัย4 ถนนลาดพร้าว แขวงลาดพร้าว เขตลาดพร้าว กรุงเทพ 10230 โทรศัพท์ : 02-5387638,02-5392072 แฟกซ์ : 02-5392072 โทรศัพท์มือถือ : 081-9390404 เว็บไซต์ : http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com

119543.jpg

Its kind of hit and miss --- currently they are letting Thai registered bikes north-bound into Laos at Nong Khai, Thailand.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Ray - I've taken a Thai registered bike, in a Thai registered pick-up from Nong Khai, Thailand, northbound, across the friendship bridge into Vientiane, Laos. As not many people do this is can be confusing for the Thai Customs official and actually at first they said it can't be done, I think the Thai Customs officer was new. Her boss got involved and figured it out. What they do is, on the Thai Customs temporary export document for the car, at the bottom there is a section for notes. In the notes section they make notation that a Thai registered motorcycle is being temporary exported from Thailand with the pickup with the frame VIN and engine number noted.

7346748428_d159b4a03c_b.jpg

Hi OP, these back soi bodgers are no mechanics either; at best they`re grease monkeys, at worst they`re downright dangerous. A decent tool kit, laptop, digital camera and labels make it relatively easy for you to work on most engines. At least consider this as a future option as you will do a better job than Somchai whose shoddy work is more likely to kill you. To add to the other advice you`ve received I`d get a compression test done as well because head gaskets can be easily damaged on assembly, as I`ve learnt from my own experience. Also swap the spark plugs over and check as even new ones can fail under compression. Right now you need a competent technician otherwise you`ll continue to throw good money after bad. 2500 baht to ship to BKK for repair seems like your most cost effective option now and at least when it`s been properly sorted you`ll have confidence in it`s reliability. Good luck.

Thanks Guys Tony thanks for the excellent location on Dr. Bikes. I will let you guys know how things work out. Probably be awhile thouugh.

I did a check on the Kawaskai dealer still won't work on a 800. They have beautiful service area. The one thing they did advance on is they will now finance the 900. At first they didn't have a 900 in the showroom and would not deal with financing at all. Even though all the rest of the dealers were. So that's progress

Ok so I am confused. OP said only one cylinder was firing and it was running hot. Now, both cylinders fire, still running hot, but he knows the water pump works but there is no water flow. Ok, so some very easy things to do, and OP can do it himself even though not a mechanic:

1. Take off the radiator cap, start bike, as it is warming up give it a couple of quick twists on the throttle, and before it gets hot, squeeze the radiator hoses. Now look in the radiator, is the coolant level to the top? If not, top it up a little with 50/50 mix distilled water and coolant.

2. Now, look again at the coolant in the radiator, is it moving/flowing? You should see the coolant coming in at the top of the radiator through the large hose coming from the engine block. If the water isn't moving, then you definitely have a blockage.

a. Easiest thing to try is replace the radiator cap and the thermostat. Should only run a couple of hundred baht for both. If the radiator cap is bad, it won’t allow pressure to build up in the system. If the thermostat is bad, it may not open the system up as it warms up to allow the coolant to circulate. If that doesn’t help, then go to B.

b. Next, take off the radiator and stick a garden hose in the top and try to flush out the sludge from the bottom. When it runs clear, take a flat head screw driver and very carefully straighten out the fins on the radiator itself. If water doesn’t flow out as you are flushing, take it to a shop or replace it, as it is plugged up inside.

c. Check all the hoses. Replace as necessary. Now reinstall the radiator and start at step 1 again. By the way, step 1 is the proper way to “burp” your cooling system and remove any air bubbles. You would be surprised how fast your engine will overheat with an air bubble in it.

3. Are you sure the water pump is good? You may consider replacing it with a known good one to see if that helps. Is the fan working if your bike has one?

Your cooling system is relatively simple. You have a pressurized system with water flowing from hot engine to cooling radiator (water pump). You need pressure to keep the boiling point down (radiator cap) and you need a regulator to determine when the water flows and when the fan kicks on (thermostat). You need good cooling in the form of a radiator with unbent fins and a working fan if your bike is equipped with one. That is pretty much it. Make sure those things are working and you should be good.

As for timing, well, I think you need to worry about fixing your cooling system first, if you say you have no water flow, but both cylinders fire.

Hope this helps!