Looking for a solid android tablet

If by "solid" you mean rugged, then I highly recommend you look beyond the top half-dozen brands.

Consider either the Doogee R-series or one of the Ulefone Armor Pad tablets. Mid-range pricing, but based on the specs excellent value for money.

I've had both brands as rugged-style mobiles so can't 100% vouch for the tablets - but it would be worthwhile checking out a few reviews. My recommendation is for the Ulefone. AFAIK Doogee still haven't sorted out their after-sales support.

13 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I have just bought an OPPO Neo Tab LTE version seems to work well  114" screen = 9999 Baht on Oppo Lazada with 1000 baht discount achieved by chatting with them on messaging

Compare it against the samsungs.- It gets good reviews for the price try gsmarena for reviews/specs of many phones/tablets

Thanks, looks like you got a good deal. I wonder how the Oppo compares to the similarly priced Xiaomi Pad 6?

34 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Thanks, looks like you got a good deal. I wonder how the Oppo compares to the similarly priced Xiaomi Pad 6?

i would just get the Xiaomi Pad 6, great phones, probably the same for tablet, 6k well spent

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE Plus is now on sale for 20,000 baht.

I know Honor and Redmi tablets are cheaper but prob not near the quality of the S9 series 

I just got the FE and the slim keyboard direct from Samsung Thailand.  Total cost was just over 19,000.  The Chinese brands are cheaper but I already have a Samsung Phone and laptop so I am now in the same universe for all three devices.  Samsung was running a sale before Songkran and the only additional cost was the charger for 490 Baht.  For some reason Samsung does include the charger with the tablet.  So far the the FE is working very well.  I thought about the FE+ but for my needs the smaller FE works fine.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

would just get the Xiaomi Pad 6, great phones, probably the same for tablet, 6k well spent

As far as I am aware the xiaomi Ipad 6 does not have a sd card slot Oppo does p to 1 TB like i said just look at the specs on gsmarena.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you need a big screen?

Do you want to play games which need powerful hardware?

Do you need a SIM card in the tablet?

If you don't need all those things, then there is no point to spend a lot of money.

1. Yes  I'm 80 11.4" is just fine

2. No that's why I went for the less powerful (and cheaper) OPPO Neo Pad

3. Always good to have a backup sim receptacle

4. See 2

4. Lack of RAM made up for by SD card slot so I can have wine (not the drink -although I do like a glass or two), maps and other apps.

Fed up lugging my Lenovo legion 5 (I don't use it for games)  2.4 KG plus charger back and forth on flights - I have removed the 1TB m2 memory from the Lenovo and now it sits in an external case (USB3) so it's flexible and portable so now I have to carry Neo + my data - less than 1 KG and smaller.

When I get back to the UK I may well buy a surface pro 9 but in the mean time this will do.

• Like 1

I see the Chinese version of Xiaomi pad 6S Pro 12.4(yes, 12.4) is available on some sites here in Thailand. It only works in Chinese and English but not Thai, which will anger my gf. However, the price is so damn cheap I'm really tempted to purchase. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Furioso said:

I see the Chinese version of Xiaomi pad 6S Pro 12.4(yes, 12.4) is available on some sites here in Thailand

Beware of:

1 Chinese versions of anything

2. Sites claiming to be in Thailand

Fakes and Scams abound in this region.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Negita43 said:

Beware of:

1 Chinese versions of anything

2. Sites claiming to be in Thailand

Fakes and Scams abound in this region.

Yes, I just digged a little deeper it's not worth the risk. I want a 12.4 inch screen but hard to find a good price. Might just buy the 11 inch Xiaomi Pad 6 for 11,000 baht. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Always good to have a backup sim receptacle

If you plan to use the tablet while traveling, then yes.

Otherwise WIFI is basically available everywhere.

I have a tablet without SIM, I only use that tablet at home.

My gf has a tablet with SIM, because there is no WIFI if she visits her father up country.

I think her tablet was about 2000B more expensive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I looked at the customer reviews on gsmarena website and the Xiaomi Pad 6 is mostly very positive. I compared to Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE, which is getting outdated. The reviews are mostly "meh". 

On 4/22/2024 at 3:05 PM, Furioso said:

Yes, I just digged a little deeper it's not worth the risk. I want a 12.4 inch screen but hard to find a good price. Might just buy the 11 inch Xiaomi Pad 6 for 11,000 baht. 

I had an iPad air 2 for years but refused to buy the new version at 20000bht so looked around. Ended up buying the Xiaomi pad 6 and it's brilliant for the price . It can take a bit of use to figure out how it works but after that a piece of cake , or maybe just me as used iPad for so long .

The display on it is crystal clear , the sound is amazing as has 4 speakers as far as remember and it's so quick doing anything. Build quality seems very good and it feels solid well built piece of kit .

The alternative I was looking at was a Samsung for same price but in all comparison sites the pad 6 beat the Samsung easily in scores. Also the fast charging for the pad 6 is lightning quick.

Bought mine on Lazada from the Mi site during a sale and paid 9000bht I think it was .

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, patman30 said:

were you not looking to buy a laptop yesterday?

Yes, I'm updating all my gear. My Acer laptop blew its MB awhile back and a cheap tablet would be nice to have. I also would like a much better desktop than my HP Mini. 

Edited by Furioso
added mini

59 minutes ago, ronster said:

I had an iPad air 2 for years but refused to buy the new version at 20000bht so looked around. Ended up buying the Xiaomi pad 6 and it's brilliant for the price . It can take a bit of use to figure out how it works but after that a piece of cake , or maybe just me as used iPad for so long .

The display on it is crystal clear , the sound is amazing as has 4 speakers as far as remember and it's so quick doing anything. Build quality seems very good and it feels solid well built piece of kit .

The alternative I was looking at was a Samsung for same price but in all comparison sites the pad 6 beat the Samsung easily in scores. Also the fast charging for the pad 6 is lightning quick.

Bought mine on Lazada from the Mi site during a sale and paid 9000bht I think it was .

Thanks, it's either the Xiaomi 6 or the Honor Pad 9. Similar pricing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:24 PM, Furioso said:

I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE Plus is now on sale for 20,000 baht.

I know Honor and Redmi tablets are cheaper but prob not near the quality of the S9 series 

You should try the pharmacy,tablets will make you feel better.

Seriously, android is a pain in the neck, I had a Lenevo and quickly changed it for a Windows version.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you plan to use the tablet while traveling, then yes.

Otherwise WIFI is basically available everywhere.

I have a tablet without SIM, I only use that tablet at home.

My gf has a tablet with SIM, because there is no WIFI if she visits her father up country.

I think her tablet was about 2000B more expensive. 

You don't really need a SIM if you have a phone as you can use the hotspot if you have data.

I don't have data on my phone and just piggyback my wife's phone when out and about.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 2:56 PM, Furioso said:

I see the Chinese version of Xiaomi pad 6S Pro 12.4(yes, 12.4) is available on some sites here in Thailand. It only works in Chinese and English but not Thai, which will anger my gf. However, the price is so damn cheap I'm really tempted to purchase. 

Thanks for your information. My Thai Mrs once purchased a Samsung phone whilst she was working in South Korea. Fine for Korean and English language but no Thai!

Are there still such things as 'Phablets?'. Or have the larger mobile screens replaced them? I was considering buying a tablet with a SIM slot. Using my VOIP service would give me telephone connectivity except for Thai banks which will only send OTP's to Thai mobile numbers.

I'm down to either the Honor Pad 9(11,000 baht), or Xiaomi Pad 6(10,000 baht). Both tablets are rated very high. The Honor is 12 inch, the Xiaomi is 11 inch that might be the deciding factor.