What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got some books to recommend?

thumbsup.gif

Depends on what you like, if you like crime stories, I would recommend books by Martina Cole and Kimberly Chambers.

Also, the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Another great author Michael Connelly, I have read all his books except his latest one.

Just d/l Douglas Kennedys latest book: 'Heart of Betrayal'.

He's a fantastic author, although his last book was imo not so good.

I like Huraki Murakami esp. 'Norwegian Wood' & 'The wind up bird chronicles'

Tony Parsons has written some great stuff too. thumbsup.gif

Used to write for the NME long time ago.

"Bill Bryson " "Down under" Anyone who dos'nt know Books by Bryson doesn't know what they are missing. Here is a Travel Writer with a difference,read one of his books,and then you will more than likely read them all.Fantastic writer who knows how to make the reader laugh!

"Bill Bryson " "Down under" Anyone who dos'nt know Books by Bryson doesn't know what they are missing. Here is a Travel Writer with a difference,read one of his books,and then you will more than likely read them all.Fantastic writer who knows how to make the reader laugh!

Thanks for the reminder, I have a few of his books on an a hard drive, including this one. I really enjoyed his history of everything book a couple of years ago.

It depends on your interests.

I just finished Jab jab jab, right hook of Gary Vaynerchuk. It's a great book about social media marketing.

I also am reading, Get Noticed from Michael Hyatt. This one is about how to start a blog and create content.

I only read book that actually gives me value. I don't read story books. Then i rather watch the movie. I know it's not the same :)

Chris

thumbsup.gif

Depends on what you like, if you like crime stories, I would recommend books by Martina Cole and Kimberly Chambers.

Also, the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Another great author Michael Connelly, I have read all his books except his latest one.

Yes i've seen Jack Reacher the movie and it was awsome. They should create the other movies too. My father actually read all those books and loved them

thumbsup.gif

Yes i've seen Jack Reacher the movie and it was awsome. They should create the other movies too. My father actually read all those books and loved them

I have seen the movie too, but was not that impressed, Tom Cruise was really miscast, a 5ft 6ins guy playing a 6ft 5ins guy??????

It depends on your interests.

I just finished Jab jab jab, right hook of Gary Vaynerchuk. It's a great book about social media marketing.

I also am reading, Get Noticed from Michael Hyatt. This one is about how to start a blog and create content.

I only read book that actually gives me value. I don't read story books. Then i rather watch the movie. I know it's not the same :)

Chris

Good luck Chris.....

I have seen the movie too, but was not that impressed, Tom Cruise was really miscast, a 5ft 6ins guy playing a 6ft 5ins guy??????

A lot of people could not get past that. I had only read book and did not have a firm image of Jack Reacher in my head. I thought Tom Cruise did a really good job.

A lot of people could not get past that. I had only read book and did not have a firm image of Jack Reacher in my head. I thought Tom Cruise did a really good job.

I have read most of his books, and have always had images of Jack Reacher, even a guy of 6ft would have been better for the part.

Although I'm tall myself, I have nothing against small actors, Stallone wasn't tall, though calling him an actor would be a bit off.

I have downloaded movies starring Alan Ladd, he was the same height as Tom Cruise, he was some actor, and made some great movies.

Plenty of small actors make good villains or heroes: Pacino, Cagney, Edward G Robinson. Ben Kingsley (think Ghandi) was awesome as the baddie in Sexy Beast. I think it's called good acting. Bob Hoskins in The Long Good Friday was unbeatable.

• 3 weeks later...

People who enjoy Christopher G. Moore's Bangkok Crime novels will find this work by Chad E Evans of considerable interest.

Vincent Calvino's World: A Noir Guide to Southeast Asia

Chad Evans shows Christopher G. Moore to be a writer of great precision, imagination, conviction and above all, knowledge. It is a timely tribute to an important writer and to his most memorable character, a political and social history spanning 25 years of Southeast Asia. Vincent Calvino’s World will become an indispensable resource for Moore’s fans and for anyone who wants a deeper insight into Calvino’s world in Southeast Asia in a time of vast change. Through the prism of a crime fiction, the Calvino novels explore the dimensions of knowledge, law, culture, philosophy and history. In Evan’s journey through the Vincent Calvino series, he has provided a vision of the future role of literary crime fiction—to decode a time, place and people.

http://www.amazon.com/Vincent-Calvinos-World-Guide-Southeast-ebook/dp/B0158D1O8K/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442033218&sr=1-4&keywords=calvinos+world

Edited by sceadugenga

• 1 year later...

Found this thread, so thought I'd do a bit of self-advertising and offer advice to any budding authors.

I have two books recently published.  They are humour based stories and can recommend if you like an enjoyable read.  The first book is called The Curry Affect.  My second book is called Arthur Ascot PI.  My third book will be released next month.  I have a authors page on amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Trevor-Whitehead/e/B01N5NNZ3E

well...I'm banged up in bed fer the next 2 months or so recovering from multiple leg fractures so what's the suggested read? why, War and Peace by Count Leo Tolstoy of course...

masterful story telling with multiple narratives converging along the way...try it, you'll like it, don't let the length put you off...I read Anna Karenina  some years ago and definitely worth a read...

btw, UG, check out the guardian.co.uk website where recently Ulysses Grant's memoirs are discussed by Robert McCrum the book editor as one of the non fiction works that 'shook the world'...I got it downloaded onto the kindle and queued up to follow War and Peace...

funny about U Grant, most historical references describe him as a scruffy, alcoholic ruffian...nobody ever mentioned his memoirs...a very literate and observant dude, apparently...

31 minutes ago, bannork said:

So what happened tutsi? a motorbike or a car accident?

I expect you've read it already but if not Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier is  a must.

nah...nothin as glamourous as that, James Dean I ain't, slipped on some bug spray on the kitchen floor...read all about it in the health forum...

watch out for Chaindrite crawling bug spray on tiled floor surfaces, clean up immediately after use!!!

all the takabs in the neighborhood ganged up to get poor ol' tutsi...there must've been a million that all laughed together as tutsi was upended...

17 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

well...I'm banged up in bed fer the next 2 months or so recovering from multiple leg fractures so what's the suggested read? why, War and Peace by Count Leo Tolstoy of course...

masterful story telling with multiple narratives converging along the way...try it, you'll like it, don't let the length put you off...I read Anna Karenina  some years ago and definitely worth a read...

btw, UG, check out the guardian.co.uk website where recently Ulysses Grant's memoirs are discussed by Robert McCrum the book editor as one of the non fiction works that 'shook the world'...I got it downloaded onto the kindle and queued up to follow War and Peace...

funny about U Grant, most historical references describe him as a scruffy, alcoholic ruffian...nobody ever mentioned his memoirs...a very literate and observant dude, apparently...

Referring to Grant's Memoirs..

Most definitely and written at a time when Grant had virtually lost everything due to stock market speculation.He basically wrote the Memoirs to save his family from penury and at a time when the cancer-which was to kill him-had already made its appearance.

Well worth a read even today and being a westerner Grant was never popular with the eastern establishment-and neither was Lincoln for that matter.

I have just finished L.A Carlyon's 'Gallipoli' and immediately purchased the sequel 'The Great War'.A superb book if one is looking for a fresh look at that campaign.

• 1 month later...

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin.  It is the third book in the Game of Thrones series of novels. The first two were very enjoyable reads with interesting multiple storylines presented in a good writing style. This one appears much the same.

I read 'Life" by Keith Richards recently. What an amazing book. Interesting to get his take on Mick and the rest of the Rolling Stones, but his insights into writing songs and playing the guitar really did it for me. I play no musical instrument, but he did a good job of explaining why some people are so much better at it than others. It has little to do with playing chords perfectly. 

I am reading "Things that Matter" by Charles Krauthammer right now. The man is brilliant and the book is the greatest selling collection of essays of all time. They are about all different subjects and he makes pretty much everything interesting. That is how he got the Pulitzer Prize.

It felt good to know that he found "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking as incomprehensible as I did considering he has a medical education and is  a genius as well. I had to read another book that explained it for the layman.