Any Nice 100 Baht Massage Shops?

mitchell44

I am sure everything exists but I have never seen them ... then again haven't looked but I think 250 to 300 an hour is generally the cheapest prices I have seen from people who actually have a shop and are not doing it in between cleaning windshields at red lights.

The post about the area between the On Nut BTS station and Soi On Nut, esp. the long soi leading down to Big C, is correct. There are a surprising number of massage places there. The price for nearly all of them was, until a couple of months ago, ฿100/hr for Thai massage, but they all changed at the same time to ฿150. Inflation? I think it was just long overdue. That is still a great, great price for a massage. The quality is uneven, but there are some good masseuses (and masseurs, too - this area is much more mixed than most).

80 baht ha ha get big fat lady on beach put cooking oil on you happed a freind of mine he had to go hospital pay 250 in massage palour dont be mean,in ireland 50euro 45 minutes thats 2,000 bth

Agree. Don't be such a cheapskate. Massage is hard work. They deserve much more than 100 baht an hour. I usually pay around 400 baht. And my tip is 100 on top of that.

I wonder how much tip you give? 5 baht?

Yes indeed, very hard work. I tip much more than the OP wants to pay for his massage.

Minimum wage is 300 baht a day, female laborers on construction sites earn the same. 100 baht an hour for a massage potentially earns the masseuse 1,000 baht a day, no reason to pay more if that's what the market says the price is. As for being hard work, which is harder, massage or construction work!

Part of the problem here is individual westerners driving up local prices because they think it's appropriate to pay more and/or because it costs more back home, bad decision I say because the rest of us who live here have live with the damage after you've left, aka increased pricing.

• Like 2

Minimum wage is 300 baht a day, female laborers on construction sites earn the same. 100 baht an hour for a massage potentially earns the masseuse 1,000 baht a day, no reason to pay more if that's what the market says the price is. As for being hard work, which is harder, massage or construction work!

Part of the problem here is individual westerners driving up local prices because they think it's appropriate to pay more and/or because it costs more back home, bad decision I say because the rest of us who live here have live with the damage after you've left, aka increased pricing.

No (human) massage therapist can do 10 hours massage per day

5 hours per day would be closer to an optmistic average

To become a good massage therapist requires talent, training and experience

If the customer pays 100 baht, the therapist will be paid 50 baht at most

Any increases in their low wages should not be seen as "damage"

Higher wages and inflation are a symptom of the positive trend of economic growth

Edited by brit1984

No (human) massage therapist can do 10 hours massage per day

5 hours per day would be closer to an optmistic average

To become a good massage therapist requires talent, training and experience

If the customer pays 100 baht, the therapist will be paid 50 baht at most

Any increases in their low wages should not be seen as "damage"

Higher wages and inflation are a symptom of the positive trend of economic growth

I fully agree. @chiang mai, one could agree with your post if you were actually working here and having a standard Thai salary (not even the minimum wage); if that the case, I understand your position.

I do live here and I do have a standard/fixed income in that I'm retired and my "salary" is derived from pensions and investments, the sum total of which varies only slightly over the course of a year, over the past nine years here the impact of inflation on that income has been significant.

I agree that five massages per day is a sensible average albeit we have friends who work in massage and they frequently do six and seven as a matter of course. I can also agree that a reasonable level of inflation is a sign of a sound and growing economy. Where we diverge in our views is that tourists often come here thinking that the standards that apply back home should apply here also, particularly finacial ones. I've been with tourist friends over the years when they have tried to tip a taxi driver 100 baht for a fifty baht ride, tip a waitress fifty percent of a one thousand baht food bill and pay vastly inflated prices for goods simply because they were tourists and they thought the sums involved paltry. Just because the prices are what they are "back home" and just because someone feels sorry for local person X Y or Z, are not sound reasons to uprate the price of goods and services here.

• Like 1

I do live here and I do have a standard/fixed income in that I'm retired and my "salary" is derived from pensions and investments, the sum total of which varies only slightly over the course of a year, over the past nine years here the impact of inflation on that income has been significant.

I agree that five massages per day is a sensible average albeit we have friends who work in massage and they frequently do six and seven as a matter of course. I can also agree that a reasonable level of inflation is a sign of a sound and growing economy. Where we diverge in our views is that tourists often come here thinking that the standards that apply back home should apply here also, particularly finacial ones. I've been with tourist friends over the years when they have tried to tip a taxi driver 100 baht for a fifty baht ride, tip a waitress fifty percent of a one thousand baht food bill and pay vastly inflated prices for goods simply because they were tourists and they thought the sums involved paltry. Just because the prices are what they are "back home" and just because someone feels sorry for local person X Y or Z, are not sound reasons to uprate the price of goods and services here.

I can fully understand your personal frustration with this situation. However, one way or another, barring some disastrous political intervention that isolates Thailand from the rest of the world, wages and prices will inevitably converge towards Western levels. This is a natural side-effect of economic growth (through the concept of "catch-up").

If you want to maintain a particular standard of living (with a fixed income from abroad) I recommend you prepare and plan to relocate from time-to-time to incrementally less developed (and hence cheaper) countries. While the general conclusion of this thread is that finding a massage for 100 baht in Bangkok is becoming more difficult, I am sure it would be easy to find someone in Dhaka, for example, to massage you for much less.

80 baht ha ha get big fat lady on beach put cooking oil on you happed a freind of mine he had to go hospital pay 250 in massage palour dont be mean,in ireland 50euro 45 minutes thats 2,000 bth

Agree. Don't be such a cheapskate. Massage is hard work. They deserve much more than 100 baht an hour. I usually pay around 400 baht. And my tip is 100 on top of that.

I wonder how much tip you give? 5 baht?

Yeah that is my usual tip as well.

Edit: Not 5 Baht!!

Edited by smokie36

I still think this is a very low price but absolutely nothing wrong with the OP looking for good but cheap services. What a business or person sets their price at is there business. I don't care if he is poor or rich, you can't fault somebody for looking for a good deal and they certainly shouldn't be made to feel guilty if a business provides a service for low prices.

• Like 2

If you pay 100 baht per hours the masseuse may only get half of that or less. And there is no way you can do massage for 10 hours a day. For a start there just aren't enough clients. I know a few people that work in massage places and they get 2-4 clients per day. So they may only earn 200-600 per day. Most of the time is spent sitting around.

I'm not driving prices up, but cheapskates like the OP are trying to drive them down. If the prices increase then that's your problem not mine. If I pay more that's also the market at work, so no use complaining to me.

Eat/shop in local places instead of tourist places. It's the same in tourist places all over the world, even in London.

The post about the area between the On Nut BTS station and Soi On Nut, esp. the long soi leading down to Big C, is correct. There are a surprising number of massage places there. The price for nearly all of them was, until a couple of months ago, ฿100/hr for Thai massage, but they all changed at the same time to ฿150. Inflation? I think it was just long overdue. That is still a great, great price for a massage. The quality is uneven, but there are some good masseuses (and masseurs, too - this area is much more mixed than most).

I know, directly from a few of those places around On Nut, that a few of the newer places "complained" that the other massage places hadn't upped the prices as well (ie to match the slightly more expensive ones). So, they too (the cheaper places) felt intimidated and also raised their prices to suit/match the others. Inflation was not the reason, but intimidaton.

I know, directly from a few of those places around On Nut, that a few of the newer places "complained" that the other massage places hadn't upped the prices as well (ie to match the slightly more expensive ones). So, they too (the cheaper places) felt intimidated and also raised their prices to suit/match the others. Inflation was not the reason, but intimidaton.

I am not surprised that they told you that story, but I don't believe they were "intimidated"

I think they would have been happy to have an excuse to increase their prices by 50%

I am not surprised that they told you that story, but I don't believe they were "intimidated"

I think they would have been happy to have an excuse to increase their prices by 50%

I'm skeptical by nature, but I do actually belive this story. Many of the other massage places had already raised their prices by Baht 20/hour while the other, older (but good, and clean) place continued to charge Baht 100 (ie. 50 less than the others).

Doesn't bother me - I still think it's great for Baht 150/hour.

I'm skeptical by nature, but I do actually belive this story. Many of the other massage places had already raised their prices by Baht 20/hour while the other, older (but good, and clean) place continued to charge Baht 100 (ie. 50 less than the others).

Doesn't bother me - I still think it's great for Baht 150/hour.

Agree, extreme bargain

I would recommend trying one of the 300 baht places and see if there is a difference for what you've been getting for 80 to 100.

In my opinion, no real difference in quality between the 100 baht and 300 baht places. Very often, differences in prices can be attributed to overheads and nearby competition.

To the posters who think it's criminal to pay so little to the masseur, why not go to a 100 baht place and then leave a 400 baht tip (excluding happy ending of course).

I'm not driving prices up, but cheapskates like the OP are trying to drive them down. If the prices increase then that's your problem not mine. If I pay more that's also the market at work, so no use complaining to me.

You sound like the sympathetic and understanding sort of human being who thinks that prices can/should only ever go one way, up, if they go down then people are being cheap and unfair, hmmm! I suppose it's OK for you to pay more if you live and earn in Thailand, if you don't then you are just another example of where globalization damages economies through undue external influence. I'm OK with inflation and I'm OK with in-country hi-so's flashing their wads, I'm not OK with tourists/part timers distorting the financial reality and trying to make that distortion permanent becuase then things look more like back home.