Bank Savings Interest Rates

I where to SCB and I get 2,7 per cent for one year fixed deposit in found

Apparently you can get 2.8% if you are a Baht Billionaire........

http://thailand.deposits.org/accounts/scb-1-year-fixed-deposit.html

Details*

The interest rate for Siam Commercial Bank below is for a fixed 12 month / 1 year Interest rate for 1000 million Baht and Over

The rate of 2.80% is 1.02% higher than the average 1.78%. Also it isthe highest rate for this term period.Updated Feb, 2016

Just made a new deposit after the CIMB one matured today with Islamic Bank, 2 years, 2.60%. That's the highest anyone offers. For 1 year 2.30%. This is valid till 31 March after which the interest rate will drop by 0.3% as they told me.

anybody got current rates on fixed deposits from bangkok bank - need to renew in a week or so - thanks

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/FixedDeposits/Pages/SpecialFixedDeposits.aspx

Doesn't seem to be a good rate at 1.5%. I don't qualify anyway

• "The 5-Month, 7-Month and 10-Month Fixed Deposit Accounts are available only for Thai individuals, corporates, government agencies, insurance companies, and non-profit juristic persons."

The Sinmathaya Subthawee Account looks interesting but I can't read Thai so I am not sure what interest they are paying for that one. Maybe someone can help.

Den

anybody got current rates on fixed deposits from bangkok bank - need to renew in a week or so - thanks

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/FixedDeposits/Pages/SpecialFixedDeposits.aspx

• "The 5-Month, 7-Month and 10-Month Fixed Deposit Accounts are available only for Thai individuals, corporates, government agencies, insurance companies, and non-profit juristic persons."

The Sinmathaya Subthawee Account looks interesting but I can't read Thai so I am not sure what interest they are paying for that one. Maybe someone can help.

Den

I've noticed a trend over the past year where banks in Thailand offer better rates for Thai citizens than to foreigners, I have fallen out with my various banks over this this but there's nothing to be done.

Also, with many central banks going negative on rates, decent fixed rate deposits are very rare, again, nothing to be done other than accept or diversify.

Having already opened a fixed deposit account with Krung Thai the previous year, I went in to ask about a new promotion. They told me the details and I came back the next day with a cashier's cheque for 1 million baht. "Oh, sorry, this one is for Thai citizens only..." facepalm.gif

Edited by orientalist
  • Like 1

Having already opened a fixed deposit account with Krung Thai the previous year, I went in to ask about a new promotion. They told me the details and I came back the next day with a cashier's cheque for 1 million baht. "Oh, sorry, this one is for Thai citizens only..." facepalm.gif

phone head office and ask them to confirm what you were told.

• Like 1

The Sinmathaya Subthawee Account looks interesting but I can't read Thai so I am not sure what interest they are paying for that one. Maybe someone can help."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened a BBL 5 month FD at 1.5% p.a. yesterday (in readiness for my next annual extension of stay). I opened the account at Emquartier Branch with a yellow tabien baan (and passport).

Edited by mark5335

I've noticed a trend over the past year where banks in Thailand offer better rates for Thai citizens than to foreigners, I have fallen out with my various banks over this this but there's nothing to be done.

Also, with many central banks going negative on rates, decent fixed rate deposits are very rare, again, nothing to be done other than accept or diversify.

Are these Thai Only offers are mandated by the Central Bank in some way, or the individual banks themselves? I've often wondered why some are restricted and some aren't.

phone head office and ask them to confirm what you were told.

They showed me the T&C of the promotion, but promised to call me when the next one was available (that I was eligible for), which they did a few weeks later. They did me a favour, really, because I then discovered Thanachart's tax-free Ultra-Savings account, which is where I deposited the cheque.

Are these Thai Only offers are mandated by the Central Bank in some way, or the individual banks themselves? I've often wondered why some are restricted and some aren't.

I don't know, it seems like it's down to individual bank head offices but I can't be certain, it seems an odd thing for a central bank to mandate unless there's a Thai tax implication. It's a bit like the True Vision mystery, now, Thai is the default language on all UBC channels, even the film on 222 is set to Thai as a default, why would True do that I wonder unless nationalism is setting in.

Actually it is not Thai/non-Thai but resident/non-resident that is the factor involved.

Actually it is not Thai/non-Thai but resident/non-resident that is the factor involved.

In the case of CIMB I'm very clear that it is for Thai's only, they even advertise as such. I'm "preferred" at CIMB and we've fought over this topic, the best they are prepared to do is to allow me access to those accounts as long as I can produce a tabien bahn.

I don't know, it seems like it's down to individual bank head offices but I can't be certain, it seems an odd thing for a central bank to mandate unless there's a Thai tax implication. It's a bit like the True Vision mystery, now, Thai is the default language on all UBC channels, even the film on 222 is set to Thai as a default, why would True do that I wonder unless nationalism is setting in.

Yes, perhaps a tax/structure issue. Maybe Fletch will weigh in if he hasn't already here or in another thread.

Reminds me, several years ago, when the US Government began turning the international banking screws (tax, terrorism, et al), I received an investment advert from the Standard Chartered branch in the Middle East country I lived/worked in at the time. Clearly stated on the flyer, American PP holders need not apply. No other nationalities were restricted. It was a protest action, lots of knickers in a twist at the time, but sure, they just didn't want to deal with the nonsense and I didn't hold it against them.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. Thanks for response. Cheers, J.

It's worthwhile trying to bottom the issue so I'm OK if we derail for a while, as a long as everyone else is.

I was going to add to my previous post that CIMB will not accept a chanotte with an usufruct on the reverse as a means of showing residency, they insist it must be a tabien bahn - CIMB is of course a Malaysian bank so perhaps follows BOT rules more closely than Thai banks (HSBC Thailand used to follow them to the letter and was constantly in fear of breaking BOT regs). Similarly, my other bank, UOB is a Singaporean bank and they also mirror the CIMB position on this. I'm afraid I don'thave a Thai bank account any longer so I can't compare, perhaps others can describe? I agree with 55J that there seems to be a connection with this and FATCA et al.

Edited by chiang mai

It's worthwhile trying to bottom the issue so I'm OK if we derail for a while, as a long as everyone else is.

I was going to add to my previous post that CIMB will not accept a chanotte with an usufruct on the reverse as a means of showing residency, they insist it must be a tabien bahn - CIMB is of course a Malaysian bank so perhaps follows BOT rules more closely than Thai banks (HSBC Thailand used to follow them to the letter and was constantly in fear of breaking BOT regs). Similarly, my other bank, UOB is a Singaporean bank and they also mirror the CIMB position on this. I'm afraid I don'thave a Thai bank account any longer so I can't compare, perhaps others can describe? I agree with 55J that there seems to be a connection with this and FATCA et al.

I wasn't suggesting a connection to FATCA. The issue here is a qualifying category, which, end of the day, achieves a fairly broad exclusion without them having to actually come out and say it. Clever, eh? biggrin.png

They showed me the T&C of the promotion, but promised to call me when the next one was available (that I was eligible for), which they did a few weeks later. They did me a favour, really, because I then discovered Thanachart's tax-free Ultra-Savings account, which is where I deposited the cheque.

So that's this one, 1.65% tax free for deposits between 1 and 10 million?

post-58284-0-81723200-1458622599_thumb.j

The T&C seem roughly similar to Krungsri's Mee Tae Dai accounts, in terms of monthly interest and two permitted withdrawals per month. The MTD at present is 1.6% for amounts 100,000 to 10 million.

I wasn't suggesting a connection to FATCA. The issue here is a qualifying category, which, end of the day, achieves a fairly broad exclusion without them having to actually come out and say it. Clever, eh? biggrin.png

Yes agreed, we're both saying the same thing I think. It sounds like it's belt and braces on the part of the banks. Clever? I call it very lazy and also everyone living in fear of the US government is kinda sad.

• Like 1

So that's this one, 1.65% tax free for deposits between 1 and 10 million?

attachicon.gifPS0138.jpg

The T&C seem roughly similar to Krungsri's Mee Tae Dai accounts, in terms of monthly interest and two permitted withdrawals per month. The MTD at present is 1.6% for amounts 100,000 to 10 million.

Yes, though it was 1.85 when I signed up and 1.75 when I looked just a couple of weeks ago. annoyed.gif

I believe TMB has a similar account but interest is only paid twice a year.

If you are concerned about security for your deposits I would avoid any bank that arose as a result of the parent finance company going belly-up in the 1998 melt down. Two come to mind immediately and one of them is headed by the man who was head of the failed finance company.The two I know of were among the top five financial instututions before the crash. Be a wary and take a little less interest.

If you are concerned about security for your deposits I would avoid any bank that arose as a result of the parent finance company going belly-up in the 1998 melt down. Two come to mind immediately and one of them is headed by the man who was head of the failed finance company.The two I know of were among the top five financial instututions before the crash. Be a wary and take a little less interest.

An international credit rating would be nice ;)

If you keep the amount under the deposit protection scheme limit, there is no reason to worry and just take the best offer that is on the market (CIMB and Islam Bank still offer over 2%).

An international credit rating would be nice wink.png

you mean the international credit rating agencies that were behind the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_rating_agencies_and_the_subprime_crisis? well, yes, you can indeed trust their ratings (in your dreams)...

If you keep the amount under the deposit protection scheme limit, there is no reason to worry and just take the best offer that is on the market (CIMB and Islam Bank still offer over 2%).

You really think the Deposit Protection Scheme would pay out in the event of a banking melt-down?

You really think the Deposit Protection Scheme would pay out in the event of a banking melt-down?

CIMB is one of the biggest Banks in Asia, and Islamic Bank is a Thai government institution. So I'd rather bet on them than any Citibank of the world.

• Like 1