Terrorism In Thailand, What Can We Do?

wildorchid

It depends on how you look at it . I have been in South Thailand, I have lived with the local people, they call them freedom fighters, I don't agree with any killing of people.in any way, The people do not see themselves as Thai or Malaysian.Both Governments are poking each other with big sticks steering things up. neither Country wants to let go of the Area.

Hmmmmm. One person's terrorist is another's "freedom fighter". However, IMO, a freedom fighter would restrict themselves to attacking the enemy's armed forces, rather than innocents.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how you look at it . I have been in South Thailand, I have lived with the local people, they call them freedom fighters, I don't agree with any killing of people.in any way, The people do not see themselves as Thai or Malaysian.Both Governments are poking each other with big sticks steering things up. neither Country wants to let go of the Area.

Hmmmmm. One person's terrorist is another's "freedom fighter". However, IMO, a freedom fighter would restrict themselves to attacking the enemy's armed forces, rather than innocents.

There's none of us innocent, though some of us might be naive.

Its not the armed forces that freedom fighters have a problem with, its the settlers...

SC

they were told/ believed the IRA were justified in their actions.

Britain occupied Ireland by force, therefore the IRA were justified in their actions as freedom fighters, and eventually their campaign of violence won.

Now if American forces would just leave the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and stop supplying Israel with money and arms, that might stop the current problems with Muslims.

Western countries have created all their current terrorist problems by using their might to oppress other countries.

Tommo, I hate to be the one to tell you that you have been misinformed. When I was back in Belfast in January, it was still very much British, so to say that the PIRA achieved their goal be having a united Ireland is false. That their campaign of violence won is also false.

While we are off topic to an extent, the above is an excellent example of what I am talking about in Thailand. The PIRA, as a fighting force was finished before they took the political route. Through intelligence gathering and blocking financial routes and arms suplpy through this intelligence, they failed to be an effective fighting force. The straw that broke the camel's back was the Enniskillen bombing by the PIRA on 8 November 1987 during a remembrance day service in which 11 people died and the public and political outcry that followed. If you don't know what happened that day, here is a good link; read the paragraph on the aftermath: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day_bombing

However, going back some, the PIRA was taken out by Intelligence and Surgical strikes, not so much against personnel but against the money sources and arms supply. It does work!

The OP is about threats from terrorists and what to do about it; the above actions work!

• Like 1

I'm not saying "let them" do anything freely, just don't change the whole relationship between individual rights and government powers to try to fight them. If we used the same tactics to prevent say road accidents the average joe would never tolerate it.

I think their "weapon of terror" would be a lot less effective if government agencies didn't amplify the threat for their own purposes. The founding fathers of the US are spinning in their graves.

Certainly wasn't suggesting any change to anyone's individual rights, except the people responsible for the acts of terror. I am not talking about carpet-bombing and mass troop deployment, used in the name of anti-terrorism for political or commercial gain as we have seen over the last decade or so.

If the present approach doesn't work (which it doesn't) organize your intelligence, and give the people who are trained for it the latitude to conduct surgical strikes against the targets.

Fight fear with fear. It may not be considered PC in these days, but it works!

Use the pre 9/11 laws and fighting capacities to do our best to prevent and punish, but otherwise just ignore them, accept a few thousand fatalities a year as a price of our liberty.

Johnny, I hope and pray to your God that none of your family members or close friends ever become one of the acceptable few thousand fatalities that you could live with as collateral damage. I can guarantee that you would quickly reassess that statement and the price you would be willing to pay for your liberty.

I'm not saying "let them" do anything freely, just don't change the whole relationship between individual rights and government powers to try to fight them. If we used the same tactics to prevent say road accidents the average joe would never tolerate it.

I think their "weapon of terror" would be a lot less effective if government agencies didn't amplify the threat for their own purposes. The founding fathers of the US are spinning in their graves.

Certainly wasn't suggesting any change to anyone's individual rights, except the people responsible for the acts of terror. I am not talking about carpet-bombing and mass troop deployment, used in the name of anti-terrorism for political or commercial gain as we have seen over the last decade or so.

If the present approach doesn't work (which it doesn't) organize your intelligence, and give the people who are trained for it the latitude to conduct surgical strikes against the targets.

Fight fear with fear. It may not be considered PC in these days, but it works!

Use the pre 9/11 laws and fighting capacities to do our best to prevent and punish, but otherwise just ignore them, accept a few thousand fatalities a year as a price of our liberty.

Johnny, I hope and pray to your God that none of your family members or close friends ever become one of the acceptable few thousand fatalities that you could live with as collateral damage. I can guarantee that you would quickly reassess that statement and the price you would be willing to pay for your liberty.

SC

Followed my own advice: Think before posting; think again before deleting

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'm from Manhattan, and my family did lose friends in 9/11. And I assure you I wouldn't change my mind even if my kids were killed. It's our violent foreign policy since WW2 and our violet reactions to terrorism that have created and fueled the hatred of our enemies.

I've lost a sister to drugs and firmly believe the world would be a better place if they were legalized, but I'm not going to get all violent about it.

How many deaths are caused by private car accidents every year? Don't hear people campaigning to put them out of commission and replace them with something that makes more sense.

I'm from Manhattan, and my family did lose friends in 9/11. And I assure you I wouldn't change my mind even if my kids were killed. It's our violent foreign policy since WW2 and our violet reactions to terrorism that have created and fueled the hatred of our enemies.

I've lost a sister to drugs and firmly believe the world would be a better place if they were legalized, but I'm not going to get all violent about it.

How many deaths are caused by private car accidents every year? Don't hear people campaigning to put them out of commission and replace them with something that makes more sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Netherland-A-Novel-Joseph-ONeill/dp/0307377040#reader_0307377040

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill is my favourite book about cricket in the US, and talks about how cricket helped one man come to terms with the loss of the twin towers,

SC

http://www.amazon.co...ader_0307377040

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill is my favourite book about cricket in the US, and talks about how cricket helped one man come to terms with the loss of the twin towers,

Jeez and I thought I had a one-track mind 8-)

But looks like a good book, been saving up for the membership at the Hays library, maybe one day. . .

• Like 1