Americans: Major Fbar News, E-Filing Now Possible And Set To Become Required In 2013

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another oddity is that after you've filed your FBAR you can't view it again on the FINCEN system. That is, you have to take care to be certain that you've saved a copy as filed, and backed it up somewhere.

I sure hope they reconsider their plan to not allow filing by mail in the near future! As it stands now, I'm not confident I would have been technically able to e-file and I'm not exactly a novice to computing.

Edited by Jingthing

^I agree with you 100%. I mean we are all on an internet forum, so it can be assumed we are at least somewhat computer/net savvy. Yet there are many many people that simply don't have these skills. I think this is preposterous and also very presumptuous in a way.

I also I agree the site is not geared to the general internet public.

Another oddity is that after you've filed your FBAR you can't view it again on the FINCEN system. That is, you have to take care to be certain that you've saved a copy as filed, and backed it up somewhere.

I didn't read all the fine print but I saved my form before I submitted it. It is just my habit from my IT days but from what I saw, you can only amend your form if you have saved it since it asks for the location of the file on your system. I had an additional problem when I try amend my form, I was able to bring up the form but it wouldn't let me remove my signature so the form could be changed.

One other thing, I called them up and the woman who was very friendly told me they don't keep the website updated with the latest software version reqirements.

The website is definitely not ready for prime time.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A year on and nothing at all has changed. You'll still keep getting error messages on IE unless (a) you've added FINCEN to your trusted sites and (b ) checked "Display PDF in Browser" in Adobe Reader Preferences. Not a word about this on the FINCEN website. However, if you're lucky you may be asked to complete a Customer Survey and given an opportunity to vent about the disaster which is the Fincen website.

Edited by taxout