Bangkok Taxi Drivers Beat Down Camera-Wielding Commuter

webfact

You have a bunch of autonomous A$$h0L3$ refusing fares. If we think its bad now, wait until the flag drop goes to 50 baht. They will be refusinf even more....

All three of them should have been taken into custody pending charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The s**t has to come to an end now if Thailand is not to descend into a mafia state (if it hasn't already)...!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time you have seen a Thai man assault someone alone? They are primarily cowards when it comes to a real physical battle. Get the friends involved and there is no risk. Just pure fun. The lack of an arrest is a travesty. Shame on the lightweight cops. They are nearly useless.

nearly...??

This scene is why I never try to get a taxi that is parked anywhere. Those that sit outside of tourist venues, hotels, Skytrain stations or clubs will quote higher than normal fares and refuse to use the meter. I have much better luck when flagging down a moving taxi. At least they were non-discriminate in their attack of a Thai as we mostly read about these incidents when involving a farang.

I have gone even further. I will take any aircon bus that will get me to where I want to go, and I don't even care if it adds 20 minutes to my journey.

My general feeling is that the vast majority of taxi drivers are scumbags, and there is an urgent need to do something about the current situation.

Start by arresting the two supporters of this assault....!!

The sports manager of the British Club in Bangkok was badly hacked by a machete wielding taxi driver last year after he objected to the driver refusing to turn on the metre. He needed over a 100 stitches in his head and upper body. He was lucky to survive. Even though it occurred in front of a queue of other taxi drivers, the police were unable to determine the identity of the driver and no one has ever been charged with this attempted murder.

I remember a senior Bangkok policeman being quoted saying that it was illegal for a taxi to refuse any fare within the Bangkok metropolitan area and that it is illegal for them to lock passengers in the cab. Fat chance of the police doing anything to enforce these laws.

I remember a senior Bangkok policeman being quoted saying that it was illegal for a taxi to refuse any fare within the Bangkok metropolitan area and that it is illegal for them to lock passengers in the cab. Fat chance of the police doing anything to enforce these laws.

Never looked up the law but after asking my wife a long while back why we always had the bad luck of getting in a taxi without tinted windows (hot sun), she told me taxis weren't allowed to have tinted windows so the cops can see in. I then noticed, sure enough, no taxis had tinted windows .. at least not of the dark variety.

They seem to be reverting to type, having improved during the time I have been here. The effective answer, as always - and the least likely to go anywhere, as always - is for the relevant authority, on receiving a complaint, to call the driver in and hand him an oral warning; a second offence should then result in a written warning and a suspension. A third offence and the driver's licence - assuming he does have one - should be revoked. Of course, the owner of the taxi should also face stringent penalties.

As far as Makkasan is concerned, I never use the train when carrying suitcases, only when carrying a briefcase. I then cross by MRT to the other side of Asoke, or walk on to Petchaburi for a taxi. But the management should follow a similar system to the airport, with each passenger, for a surcharge of, say, B20, given a ticket at a counter with a taxi driver then allotted to the passenger. At the same time, taxis parked anywhere other than the designated areas should be moved on.

But it's all pie-in-the-sky.

Never looked up the law but after asking my wife a long while back why we always had the bad luck of getting in a taxi without tinted windows (hot sun), she told me taxis weren't allowed to have tinted windows so the cops can see in. I then noticed, sure enough, no taxis had tinted windows .. at least not of the dark variety.

Because transluscent tinted windows are illegal on any vehicle . . . technically.

'but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.' ?????????????????????

Is it written in Thai law that you are allowed to assist in beating someone up?!?! It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!

Crazy stuff.

Because transluscent tinted windows are illegal on any vehicle . . . technically.

She said it had more to do with safety for the police to see passengers but you could be right since the street police target taxis .. then again, even in places like California that has much more sun, very dark tint is illegal but not lighter or factory tints and you can have the rear windows tinted if you have dual mirrors. Maybe somebody knows the law here but I would think it would be similar. I tend to think it is for safety of passengers given the publicity of robbing, violent or rapist taxi drivers.

When was the last time you have seen a Thai man assault someone alone? They are primarily cowards when it comes to a real physical battle. Get the friends involved and there is no risk. Just pure fun. The lack of an arrest is a travesty. Shame on the lightweight cops. They are nearly useless.

Of course they are cowards - as is any group, whether taxi drivers or teenagers, in Thailand or overseas, which assaults individuals or smaller groups.

She said it had more to do with safety for the police to see passengers but you could be right since the street police target taxis .. then again, even in places like California that has much more sun, very dark tint is illegal but not lighter or factory tints and you can have the rear windows tinted if you have dual mirrors. Maybe somebody knows the law here but I would think it would be similar. I tend to think it is for safety of passengers given the publicity of robbing, violent or rapist taxi drivers.

Sorry. By transluscent, I meant dark tint, as opposed to see-through tinting which is legal.

After she took a photo of the taxi numer plate (the one on the inside of the door) the taxi driver jumped out of the car and chased her up the road shouting and waving his fist at her.

Isn't there any central body supervising/controlling taxis and taxi drivers?

I've been very fortunate until now and haven't had any problems with any of them, but assaulting someone for taking a photo is taking it a bit too far.

From the Thai POV, responsibility for your actions is anathema here. I'm not defending him, I'm just explaining his thinking (if I may use the word so liberally). Integrity is a foreign concept for most. If it's not a reputable hospital, multinational franchise or corporation you're dealing with, good luck getting an employee's name who's not done their job. Even if you do, the outcome is going to be their boss favoring not rocking the boat with staff above anything some baksida has to say.

Always vote with your feet in SE Asia. It's the best way, and if a taxi driver pulls some stunt like this, whatever you do, don't give them anything.

Edited by seminomadic

I love this bit:

A motorcycle patrol officer stopped and broke up the fight even though it was not in his jurisdiction

So basically if its not in his jurisdiction its not his duty to stop someone getting assaulted?

Brilliant.

Excellent ... :)

If he doesn't want passengers then what is the driver doing outside in the taxi rank. Why doesn't he just go home and let the other drivers earn the money.

It's called cherry-picking. He doesn't want a short fare, and then to go back to the end of the queue, or have to cruise around looking for fares. He's looking for easy money, not necessarily well-earned.

"She works hard for the money..." Donna Summers, RIP.

No. A short fare - preferably with as little traffic as possible [they do daydream] - is what they are looking for when refusing a fare. A quick B35 and look for another fare. Of course, there are many decent and ethical taxi drivers, whose image is marred by these imbeciles. Perhaps it is those drivers who should be pushing for a more rigid application of what law there is.

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair? Not sure how this incident makes the taxi an illegal one .. only would seem to indicate a violent taxi driver.

Yes actually it is. Taxi Drivers are not allowed to refuse fares. Supposedly there are undercovers who will give them tickets. I usally say their number out loud when they say no then leave the door open hmm maybe I should think twice.

Had such a smooth experience with all my taxis in HCMC even though I hear that they have some really good scams going. For me though I was never refused a ride even if it was only amounting to the equivalent of 40 baht. Getting back to BKK and in 3 days I was refused 8 cabs when they realized that they weren't going to make more than 150 baht.

Had to go to the OZ embassy and 2 cab drivers wanted 800 baht to take me from there to the airport.

The next cab just brought me there on the meter with no qualms and picked himself up an extra 100 baht tip on top of the few which as about 240 baht. Don't usually tip that much but I was just happy that he wasn't being a prick about it. In any case the good cab drivers who don't put up a fuss and just drive with the meter always get a tip from me.

I never had dramas with cabs in vietnam, except that I noticed the meter in some cabs tends to run faster

Mai pai!

This is the common sentence from many taxis every night. Some other don't even bother to stop. And this applies equally for farangs and thais.

I wonder why this strong disapproval is coming? What is this derogatory manner? Why don't they need money?

They have a credit card.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Mafia? Not likely. I'm quite sure that if it really was a mafia that did this, the guy that got hurt wouldn't be showing his face on a news report retelling what happened. Another media beatup. Why are people so bothered if taxi refuses to take them. Just wait 15 seconds for the next one to come along.

Edited by Time Traveller

Try driving a cab in Bangkok for 15 hours just to make ends meet and then come back and tell us why you might be feeling a little aggressive.

Bangkok cab fares are so uneconomically low - an extension of Issaan cheapo labour to give fat cat hisos in Bangkok an easy ride - its no wonder many of the 'abuses' you all rush to report take place. Sheesh get realwhistling.gif

I love this bit:

A motorcycle patrol officer stopped and broke up the fight even though it was not in his jurisdiction

So basically if its not in his jurisdiction its not his duty to stop someone getting assaulted?

Brilliant.

Not his rice bowl.

If he doesn't want passengers then what is the driver doing outside in the taxi rank. Why doesn't he just go home and let the other drivers earn the money.

Good question. And here's the answer: Those taxi drivers don't want passengers who are looking for a fair fare. They are looking for suckers whom they can gouge, most likely foreign tourists. That's why this scam takes place at the main Airport LInk station rather than just at some random station elsewhere along the route.

The scum of transport in thailand.bangkok taxi drivers,they think they are the one that matters .not the customer,problem is the city doesnt regulate the lowlife.whats the point of having cab and driver numbers visible and phone number for complaints ? If you are cheated its just tough

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hmmm 2 sides to every story....

Maybe the cabbie was getting off shift and could not take fare ??

then a scrum ensue's and his mates come to help him..... who knows??

If Mr do gooder just hail another cab instead of snapping pics all would be sabai....

If i was working and some stranger started taking pics of me without permission,

I would not think twice about giveing him a poke in the nose to get the pictures erased...

just me i guess...

So basicly you are saying that you are a thug, glad I don't know you.

There are very few places that a motorcycle taxi, the skytrain, or the subway, or tne public bus transportation can't get too.

I have made it a point not to deal with taxi drivers, and tuk tuk drivers.

The other thing to is to make friends with a cab driver near where you live or work for that matter. Get is mobile number and always use

him everytime. By doing so, you are far less likely to ever have any trouble.

I got lucky and met a Thai taxi driver who spent time in the U.S.A. working on oil rigs..Not only did he speak English, but he turned out to be

a great friend. I call this guy no matter where I am, if I need a taxi...

There are some decent taxi drivers out there and i agree with Jerrysteve about finding a couple of driver that you can use all the time . We have a couple drivers from the neighbourhood that we use a lot and the good thing is that you can trust them to pick up the kids or pick up parcels etc. .They know they get regular work from us and they know we know everybody in the neighbourhood like they do , plus we look after them too and we get them extra work as well .

On occaisions when we go shopping, particularly to Big C or Tesco, and need a cab , there are a lot of choosy drivers that don't want to go out of their area because they get more money on short quick local trips because they get more money from the meter drop than distance travelled. As the meter drop rises, expect more of this.

Thai cops could do a sting operation, but on second thought, no. They neither have the creative thought process to set one up, nor the testicular fortitude to do a sting effectively.