What Traditions As Ex Pats Do You Bring To Your Host Country?

edwinclapham

I despise almost everything about the UK.

The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.

And it's overly moralistic and judgmental capitalist society.

All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.

Thatcher's Britain, the country of ME ME ME.

I've dumped the lot.

But see you havent given up that other UK tradition....................the ability to moan...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The blatant greed and materialism of it's holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mothers day, Fathers day.

All people in the UK care about is themselves, how much their house is worth and how many holidays a year they can have.

I've dumped the lot.

But see you havent given up that other UK tradition....................the ability to moan...rolleyes.gif

I've dumped the lot.

wub.png Eddie likes (run out of the original oneswhistling.gif )

I'm American so we do 4th of July BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner with the turkey. Some of our family on my Wife's (Thai) side have already been to the States and are accustom to many of these holidays. The one I will miss the most when my daughter gets older is Halloween smile.png. Who dosn't like free candy and spooky dress up ?

I HATE Halloween with a passion - although I think the States does it better than Britain.

It is another tradition that Britain has lost control/sight of.

In the UK it has become the equivalent of demanding money with menaces.

Gangs of teenagers will harangue local residents (often pensioners) with demands for money/gifts under the guise of "trick or treat". All manner of retribution follows if you don't send them away with arms full of goodies.

Bah Humbug to Halloween !

Eh? Do you mind? Halloween is a Celtic tradition, Scots and Irish. The night before All Souls Day was when Heaven and Hell were closest together as the departed souls gathered to enter Heaven.

The concern was that the portal to Hell was also open to take in the wicked, and sometimes the evil ghouls would escape and terrorise the living.

Young men would dress as ghouls and wait outside their homes in the hope that the evil one's would be tricked into thinking that the house was being haunted already and move on.

The vast influx of Scots and Irish immigrants took the tradition to the US and kept it alive. Naturally Hollywood had to get involved and now people call it Trick or Treating and think it's a US tradition.

At this point theblether explodes into an apoplectic rage at how Hollywood sanitises everything for profit. Then presents it to the world as being a US tradition. Aaaaarrrgg!!

Just sayin'

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif you velly hansum man with rage in your face!

Yes, I know already....( I would put in the coffee drinking emoticon but it doesn't work on my Blackberry )

I am an Australian citizen but live in Thailand. When in Australia I am very pro Australian eg Anzac Day, Australia Day etc. I have made a decision that I wish to live in Thailand. I do not try to impose my ideals on the Thai people and respect thier culture.

Whilst I am not an expat I'm pretty sure in my mind that some of Thailands expats were responsible for bringing the disgusting habit IMO of wearing flip flops and white socks half way up to their knees. rolleyes.gif

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

socks_with_flip_flops-851.jpg

Thats so gross!

nothing gross, it comes from Japan

http://purplume.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/japan-footwear-003.jpgjapan-footwear-003.jpg

Whilst I am not an expat I'm pretty sure in my mind that some of Thailands expats were responsible for bringing the disgusting habit IMO of wearing flip flops and white socks half way up to their knees. rolleyes.gif

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

socks_with_flip_flops-851.jpg

Thats so gross!

nothing gross, it comes from Japan

http://purplume.file...<!--NoParse3-->

My sister in law is Japanese and this is acceptable.

flip_flops2.jpg

flip flops and socks are not a la vogue!

I am an Australian citizen but live in Thailand. When in Australia I am very pro Australian eg Anzac Day, Australia Day etc. I have made a decision that I wish to live in Thailand. I do not try to impose my ideals on the Thai people and respect thier culture.

I too am an Australian citizen, although a pom, I am not imposing my ideals on Australians but both My Thai wife and I enjoy sharing our traditions with all and sundry.. so simple...be it Thai or European traditions...

The local kids have all got used to coming and getting goodies off our Christmas tree, something we've been doing for years. Their parents expect a party!

Love it, and I would imagine you are the talk of the neighbourhood.. See what pleasure you are giving the community !

I'm American so we do 4th of July BBQs and Thanksgiving Dinner with the turkey. Some of our family on my Wife's (Thai) side have already been to the States and are accustom to many of these holidays. The one I will miss the most when my daughter gets older is Halloween smile.png. Who dosn't like free candy and spooky dress up ?

I HATE Halloween with a passion - although I think the States does it better than Britain.

Gangs of teenagers will harangue local residents (often pensioners) with demands for money/gifts under the guise of "trick or treat". All manner of retribution follows if you don't send them away with arms full of goodies.

Eh? Do you mind? Halloween is a Celtic tradition, Scots and Irish. The night before All Souls Day was when Heaven and Hell were closest together as the departed souls gathered to enter Heaven.

The concern was that the portal to Hell was also open to take in the wicked, and sometimes the evil ghouls would escape and terrorise the living.

Young men would dress as ghouls and wait outside their homes in the hope that the evil one's would be tricked into thinking that the house was being haunted already and move on.

The vast influx of Scots and Irish immigrants took the tradition to the US and kept it alive. Naturally Hollywood had to get involved and now people call it Trick or Treating and think it's a US tradition.

At this point theblether explodes into an apoplectic rage at how Hollywood sanitises everything for profit. Then presents it to the world as being a US tradition. Aaaaarrrgg!!

Just sayin'

The banal thuggery of Halloween is now fully explained by it's origins ! biggrin.png

Just sayin'

The banal thuggery of Halloween is now fully explained by it's origins ! biggrin.png

You got me there!!

'The Sky Is Blue, The Grass is Green,

May I have my Hallowe'en'

Happy days!!

Edited by theblether

Just sayin'

I can just feel the "love" this eveningclap2.gif

I've been away for a long time and have forgotten about most US traditional holidays...the wife likes to make a big deal of the kids' birthdays and that's OK...it makes everyone happy...

but I do miss thanksgiving as that was always a time when folks in the US got into the true spirit of sharing...and you would invite an associate to have a traditional meal if he had no place to go...

these days I just pretty much follow what the wife and her family do with regard to traditional local arrangements which ain't much; a young man going off to the wat, a death, etc...it makes life simple...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've been away for a long time and have forgotten about most US traditional holidays...the wife likes to make a big deal of the kids' birthdays and that's OK...it makes everyone happy...

but I do miss thanksgiving as that was always a time when folks got into the true spirit of sharing...and you would invite an associate to have a traditional meal if he had no place to go...

these days I just pretty much follow what the wife and her family do with regard to traditional local arrangements which ain't much; a young man going off to the wat, a death, etc...it makes life simple...

Thanks Tutsi.. yes we enjoy Thanksgiving very much.. as you say , the true meaning of sharing is special for us.. and something we like to pass onto our children.

The Thai ceremonies we very much enjoy but not the Karioke.. please not karioke!

As to what do we bring to Thailand ,Christmas with all the trimmings ,tree turkey dinner , roast parsnips (which the familly had never tasted ,but now travel from BKK to enjoy) its just like a christmas in England in our house and the kids all come to look at the tree and the lights ,in fact a few of our neighbours now even put up christmas lights themselves .

But with that tradition you have brought Christmas carols, playing at 120Db's, starting in August (for the love of Christ!) to the Makro's, Big-C's & Tesco's!

A lot to answer for.....................thumbsup.gif

As to what do we bring to Thailand ,Christmas with all the trimmings ,tree turkey dinner , roast parsnips (which the familly had never tasted ,but now travel from BKK to enjoy) its just like a christmas in England in our house and the kids all come to look at the tree and the lights ,in fact a few of our neighbours now even put up christmas lights themselves .

But with that tradition you have brought Christmas carols, playing at 120Db's, starting in August (for the love of Christ!) to the Makro's, Big-C's & Tesco's!

santa-elephants_2092618i.jpg

20111216_sistar_dasom_santa1.jpg

So many different aspects to appreciate Chriswhistling.gif

See, told you the English were good at moaning

I take it then, you've never met a Scot in London.....?

BTW Halloween was a Roman concept (Pormona/Pomona) introduced when they came to keep out the Scots (but failed in spite of that bloody great wall)...which was probably then nicked by the Druids firstly then passed on to the Celts

You live and learn with Thai Visa...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

The English bring their ability to moan.....and the Scots bring their ability to annoy the English.

I'll get my coat

I thought the Scots had the ability to disappear when it was their round. whistling.giflaugh.png

To me, a commendable ability.

santa-elephants_2092618i.jpg

20111216_sistar_dasom_santa1.jpg

So many different aspects to appreciate Chriswhistling.gif

biggrin.png True, suppose one can put up with ear defenders, or send the missus shopping.