What Presents Do Your Wife /Gf/Partner Give You

ripstanley

For my birthday my GF (soon to be wife) gave me a wallet. Very nice but not what I want in a wallet. Not enough storage components. How many others have received gifts from their wives, GF or partners that they have not been happy with.

I am very happy that I received a present BUT.

Edited by ripstanley

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine signed over full custody to the kids. The fact that it was only coincidentally my birthday didn't stop it being the best prezzie ever in my many decades. . .

Among most of my SOs, they'd never had their birthday ever acknowledged growing up, some have to check out their ID card to remember the date, just not that much a tradition in dirt poor upcountry culture, so pretty hard to make them realize how important a date it is for us from growing up. Plus I'd have to give them the money to go out and get the present, and if it's for them they'd rather have the cash anyway, so the whole thing's pretty well fallen by the wayside like Thanksgiving and Christmas for me here.

I do try to have enough set aside for a cake and some toys for my own kids though. . .

For Christmas a few years ago I got my mum as pressie.

The wife and me mum had planned to surprise me on Christmas morning by her arrival and it was magic.

The only drawback was that the night before, I'd been on what I believe is colloquially called "A Beano" to the famous seaside resort of Bang Saen with some of the lads from off of our estate so was somewhat in a condition that Christmas day, however Mum stayed for 2 weeks and it was lovely.

This year for my birthday she got me the DVD of House in Nightmare Park (With Frankie Howerd) and that was excellent too.

My Thai other half aint give me nothing...but expect the sun. moon and stars & planet Venus when its her turn on birthday. *Sign*........ All i want was a simple cheap present from her with some loving thought on the present.

In answer to the OP, a wallet was exactly what I wanted for my Birthday Present ... and we shopped for it together.

Then, I found 3 or 4 that I liked, with the features I liked then said ... you please choose and surprise me ... so it was still a personal choice for her and that it special to me.

I always manage to get what I want, but only because I tell everyone what I want beforehand.

I know it takes some of the fun out of receiving pressies, but It's made up by getting the thing I covet most. It's usually a new bit of diving gear.

Something to consider ... traditionally Thais don't celebrate Birthdays in the way we Westerns traditionally do.

Couple of years ago the members kicked this question around ... Do Thais Celebrate Birthdays?

This is part of the opening quote ...

She replied that Thais don't celebrate birthdays and that in fact it is the children’s responsibility to call their folks and thank them for being born and to forgive them any suffering or grief the have caused them throughout their life!

So any gift maybe should be appreciated because thay are doing it simply for you ... smile.png

Because I work away I always send a package for birthdays, but have always been there for the birthday of my youngest, when I left recently he was asked when Papa return, he said his birthday, "how can you know" his mother asked "because every time Papa come for my birthday" ....I was touched that he appreciated this, his trust that I would be there, and also that birthdays have taken on a little more importance

For my last gift my wife insisted on replacing my aging laptop, she is very kind.

Edited by 473geo

I think the OPs present of a wallet from his GF was a hint that he should always have money at hand when she requires it.

And if the wallet has credit card compartments, than he would be wise to consider whether it is worth getting married at all?

Be afraid, be very afraid, as the writing`s on the wall.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Fishing gear / workout gear. Whatever i want i get. Same with her we just communicate what we want for our birthday. We try to keep it in a certain price range usually my presents a bit cheaper then the ones i give her as i got more to spend.

I think the OPs present of a wallet from his GF was a hint that he should always have money at hand when she requires it.

And if the wallet has credit card compartments, than he would be wise to consider whether it is worth getting married at all?

Be afraid, be very afraid, as the writing`s on the wall.

Thank you for the advice. In years to come I may have to revisit this quote. I hope I do not.

Many of them are unaware it is their birthday, or wedding anniversary, or any other daft reason we find to give away presents. My Father-in Law only knows it's his birthday when he hears it announced on the Village loudspeakers. He has never bought a present for any of his five wives or nine children and has never known when their birthdays are, or were. He's outlived all of the wives and two of his kids but he can't tell you when they died either. Somebody asked him last week how old his daughter is (my wife), and he said he had no idea and couldn't remember.

Since I've lived here I've tried to keep things sensible and not gone overboard with present handouts, but I have to say Wifey has responded by giving me a few small but nice things in return.

My wife loves Christmas and birthdays as its the only days that I refrain from beating her.

On a more serious note, these are the only 2 holidays we celebrate really. I plan on making Christmas more of an event now that we have a sprog, not necessarily for tradition, just because of the good memories I want my son to have about it like I have.

Edited by mjj

I gave him a wireless mouse for his Macbook in his latest birthday, but this I known before that he'd looked for.

Usually, I ask what he likes, I am not romantic person and don't like making surprise.

But he likes, my birthday is coming in next 3 months. Better say beforehands what I need.

IMO, its quite difficult to buy man a wallet, I find this sooooooooooooo........ complicated

because the wallet must have enough cards' case..more...or less...., must or must not have coins' case, etc...

For birthday party, many Thais don't do. I don't either

I gave him a wireless mouse for his Macbook in his latest birthday, but this I known before that he'd looked for.

Usually, I ask what he likes, I am not romantic person and don't like making surprise.

But he likes, my birthday is coming in next 3 months. Better say beforehands what I need.

IMO, its quite difficult to buy man a wallet, I find this sooooooooooooo........ complicated

because the wallet must have enough cards' case..more...or less...., must or must not have coins' case, etc...

For birthday party, many Thais don't do. I don't either

What is wrong with asking someone.. i mean at least then you know what they want.

My dad took it one step too far he always bought his own presents and told us what it cost. Always tools of some kind. biggrin.png

My wife bought me lacoste polo shirt last year it was nice but a bit of a tight fit so I asked for receipt to take it back her answer no have , ended up in big argument with me complaining that she has just wasted 3,000 bht and yet again failed to keep any paperwork

Don't think I'll be getting anything this year...lol

My wife bought me lacoste polo shirt last year it was nice but a bit of a tight fit so I asked for receipt to take it back her answer no have , ended up in big argument with me complaining that she has just wasted 3,000 bht and yet again failed to keep any paperwork

Don't think I'll be getting anything this year...lol

If i were your wife i would have countered saying you gained some weight and should eat less. biggrin.png

From a couple of g/f's in the past I've had gifts of clothes in the colours they want me to wear when out with them. All the correct size too. Nothing expensive or flash but it is the thought that counts and not how much the gift costs.