Downstream Chao Phraya Residents Warned To Brace For Impacts Of Heavy Rain

Lite Beer

Downstream Chao Phraya residents warned to brace for impacts of heavy rain

CHAINAT, 10 June 2012 (NNT) – Officials have warned locals residing along downstream Chao Phraya River to beware of the impacts of continued heavy rain.

Regional Irrigation Office – Area 12 director Darongkorn Somton said on Saturday that the latest report by the Meteorological Department has indicated that a monsoon trough continues to persist over Thailand’s North, central region and Northeast while a strong southwest monsoon has been active both in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. As a result, heavy rain has remained throughout the country.

The Met Office also forecast that the monsoon trough will move to cover only the upper part of Thailand, the situation that will lead to concentrated, heavy rain in the area until next week.

It also warned that water level in rivers and other natural sources in the lower part of Thailand’s northern region and in the central region looks set to rise considerably.

After having taken these factors into consideration, the Regional Irrigation Office – Area 12 has decided to release more water from the Chao Phraya Dam to make room for more rainfall above the dam.

Accordingly, water volume in the Chao Phraya River will increase, particularly in Chainat, Sing Buri, Ang Thong and Ayutthaya provinces. Therefore, residents residing in such areas are asked to stay vigilant although the Chao Phraya is not expected to overflow its banks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-10 footer_n.gif

Does this sound like deja vu all over again?? My sarcastic crystal ball is suggesting that there may be a lot of future news articles on rainfall and fl**ding where they can simply change the year from 2011 to 2012 and then print them.

Raise the levies upstream to prevent flooding causes flooding downstream as it will overwhelm the existing levies which were just high enough to protect the south side of bkk.

I really wonder what has been done since the last flooding. A lot was promised but i haven't heard much about things that were really done. I did hear some stuff about the industrial complexes but that was probably paid by them and not the government.

I was flooded for a long time last year and if it happens again im moving. I might buy a pair of good quality wading pants.

But i find it hard to believe they will make the same mistakes again this year. If it happens twice in a row it would show incompetence of the highest order.

• Like 1

If there is enough rain and the timing of the rains is bad, there will be flooding. It has little to do with the government.

All the flood barricades and walls and big bags and everything else isn't going to do much, except determine who gets hit harder and longer.

Don't mess with Mother Nature.

Crabs in Burberry, blue whales, green mambas, revolting red shirts, big bags, little bags, FROC, crocodiles, expensive boats, gifts from Thaksin......

Here we go again

I'm all ready, with my Burberry boots and my Heinz snake and croc spice bags at the ready! I was considering Campbell's soup mixes with croc, but it just wouldn't carry the same flavour if I have to resort to rat. Don't forget to get some supplies of lemon grass, before it is washed away, as snake and frog without lemon is rather bland.

Happy floods.... :D

-mel.

I really wonder what has been done since the last flooding. A lot was promised but i haven't heard much about things that were really done. I did hear some stuff about the industrial complexes but that was probably paid by them and not the government.

I was flooded for a long time last year and if it happens again im moving. I might buy a pair of good quality wading pants.

But i find it hard to believe they will make the same mistakes again this year. If it happens twice in a row it would show incompetence of the highest order.

Your final paragraph gives the reason that people are becoming concerned.

• Like 1

".......to beware of the impacts of continued heavy rain."

Whatever you do, don't mention the "F" word. "Aow yoo."

No need to mention the "F" word as a few months ago the powers that be said that there will not be any "F's" this year, it is all under control no need to worry.

Crabs in Burberry, blue whales, green mambas, revolting red shirts, big bags, little bags, FROC, crocodiles, expensive boats, gifts from Thaksin......

Here we go again

I'm all ready, with my Burberry boots and my Heinz snake and croc spice bags at the ready! I was considering Campbell's soup mixes with croc, but it just wouldn't carry the same flavour if I have to resort to rat. Don't forget to get some supplies of lemon grass, before it is washed away, as snake and frog without lemon is rather bland.

Happy floods.... biggrin.png

-mel.

Water World Part Deux: the return of the messiah brother.....rolleyes.gif

Here we go again

-mel.

I shall await my invitation for dinner. Better get a boat first!

Last year when the floods were due to hit I had moved my BBQ upstairs to the balcony with a large patio umbrella covering it. Live Boston lobsters with Chardonnay, some Wagyu beef and Malbec. I sat and ate, sat and waited.....The floods never came but I had to eat anyway!!

Here we go again

-mel.

Last year when the floods were due to hit I had moved my BBQ upstairs to the balcony with a large patio umbrella covering it. Live Boston lobsters with Chardonnay, some Wagyu beef and Malbec. I sat and ate, sat and waited.....The floods never came but I had to eat anyway!!

You eat live lobsters?

Here we go again

-mel.

Whats wrong with Mama?cheesy.gif
  • Like 1

Here we go again

-mel.

Maybe he is not an "English teacher"....whistling.gif

• Like 1

If there is enough rain and the timing of the rains is bad, there will be flooding. It has little to do with the government.

All the flood barricades and walls and big bags and everything else isn't going to do much, except determine who gets hit harder and longer.

Don't mess with Mother Nature.

Don't mess with Mother Badluck.

Here we go again

-mel.

You eat live lobsters?

Ha ha!

BBQd or boiled!

What has been done? At least money has been spent, there seems to be no doubt about that.

BTW on May 10th we had

"Meanwhile, PM Yingluck Shinawatra said she would go on a nationwide inspection tour later this month to check on the progress of flood-prevention projects, many of which are believed to be behind schedule. "Projects in headwater areas in the North that need to be completed first have been especially slow because of the red tape," she said. "Completed projects are being audited and evaluated by universities and their reports will be released soon.""

Here we go again

-mel.

Too darned expensive for me. The smaller younger packets are better value for money! whistling.gif

-mel.