Roofing Materials Looking For Others Opinions

Dakling

Since we're talking about insulating how about ventilating? I am amazed that soffit ventilation is the only thing I have seen installed. I did see the ridge vent system by cpac but apparently no one uses it. Anyone use it with success?

• 4 weeks later...

imo ...bluescope colorbond is the way to go ..put it up and forget about it ...insulate underneath the sheets .. i have used many other products ..the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ....

I agree totally, but how do you insulate under the sheets - or do you mean the usual fibre glass on to of the ceiling

( 'cdmtdm' ) " the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ...."

Interesting comment and where did you get that little gem of information from. ???

( 'Theboy' )

Single skin applications put fibre-glass over the ceilings but make sure you have an air-flow through the roof.

There are many ways to put fibre-glass under roofing if you wish it just needs support, one example is a ' mesh '. smile.png

well that little gem came from experience kwasaki ..... take a drive around have a look at houses 5 years old or more ... u will get the picture ...

Since we're talking about insulating how about ventilating? I am amazed that soffit ventilation is the only thing I have seen installed. I did see the ridge vent system by cpac but apparently no one uses it. Anyone use it with success?

As a kid I remember attic fans. At night we would turn on the fan and open windows to draw in the cool night air. I plan on having oversize vents in the gables and a 1 m diameter fan. Will have vented soffits as well.

I really don't understand all the hip roofs I see.

• 2 weeks later...

imo ...bluescope colorbond is the way to go ..put it up and forget about it ...insulate underneath the sheets .. i have used many other products ..the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ....

I agree totally, but how do you insulate under the sheets - or do you mean the usual fibre glass on to of the ceiling

( 'cdmtdm' ) " the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ...."

Interesting comment and where did you get that little gem of information from. ???

( 'Theboy' )

Single skin applications put fibre-glass over the ceilings but make sure you have an air-flow through the roof.

There are many ways to put fibre-glass under roofing if you wish it just needs support, one example is a ' mesh '. smile.png

well that little gem came from experience kwasaki ..... take a drive around have a look at houses 5 years old or more ... u will get the picture ...

I still don't understand where your coming from, there are many quality concrete tiles in Thailand that are perfectly OK to use.

There are houses in my village that are more than 10 year old and the concrete roof tiles used are sound.

As a kid I remember attic fans. At night we would turn on the fan and open windows to draw in the cool night air. I plan on having oversize vents in the gables and a 1 m diameter fan. Will have vented soffits as well.

I really don't understand all the hip roofs I see.

If you are referring to Thai style hip roof designs it is mostly a traditional thing to do, no problem with venting and the higher the roof the cooler it becomes.

If you are referring to Thai style hip roof designs it is mostly a traditional thing to do, no problem with venting and the higher the roof the cooler it becomes.

huh.png

Most of the traditional roof's I have seen in my 15 years here and driving 74 provinces, seem to be gabled roofs.

And if you look at the recent house designs the hip roofs seem to me to be lower than gabled roofs.

huh.png

Most of the traditional roof's I have seen in my 15 years here and driving 74 provinces, seem to be gabled roofs.

And if you look at the recent house designs the hip roofs seem to me to be lower than gabled roofs.

Yep !! your right, left words out in my sentencing, my brain was ahead of my typing, traditional thing was gables.

Still no problem with a vented insulated hip roof.

• 1 month later...

so does anyone have a sqm rate on Bluescope ? it maybe slightly dearer than tiles but i imagine the big saving is in the roof structural steel , the weight of concrete tiles is mind blowing ... i just costed a 235sqm house the price came out at 485k for the roof alone using the 16baht tiles ...almost half was in the structural steel work ...

huh.png

Yep !! your right, left words out in my sentencing, my brain was ahead of my typing, traditional thing was gables.

Sorry if I sound dumb but I still don't get it. If it's a hip roof that only has soffit vents how does the attic stay cool? Hot air is supposed to rise. In a gable end design cool air would enter at the soffits and exit through the gable end vents. A hip roof would have to have a ridge vent to be ventilated. Cool air would enter at the soffits and exit through the ridge vent. If all you have is soffit vents how ones it supposed to work. Are you supposed to hope for a big wind?

That's why I asked about that cool house ridge vent system that apparently no one uses. Is it because its very expensive? I wish I could convince my builder to give me a gable end perhaps over the balcony but roof designs are apparently set in the development.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I sound dumb but I still don't get it. If it's a hip roof that only has soffit vents how does the attic stay cool? Hot air is supposed to rise. In a gable end design cool air would enter at the soffits and exit through the gable end vents. A hip roof would have to have a ridge vent to be ventilated. Cool air would enter at the soffits and exit through the ridge vent. If all you have is soffit vents how ones it supposed to work. Are you supposed to hope for a big wind?

That's why I asked about that cool house ridge vent system that apparently no one uses. Is it because its very expensive? I wish I could convince my builder to give me a gable end perhaps over the balcony but roof designs are apparently set in the development.

Nothing dumb !! Cools just about a case of understanding the mechanics so to speak which where designs come into play, there are so many different combinations in the way roof designs can be constructed.

1. How does the attic under roof area stay cool? Air flow the more air flow the better efficiency.

2. Open eaves soffit hipped roof will still allow a certain amount of airflow more so with tiles.

3. Open eaves soffit hipped roof with vents positioned correctly will still allow airflow.

4. Open eaves soffit hipped roof with vented ridge runs will allow airflow.

5. To keep a house areas cool the higher the ceilings the better as you say with what happens to air.

6. Well placed insulation on top of low room ceilings play a big part and with sound too.

7. Insulated walls and double glazing.

8. Don't know the cost of ridge vents but have to be better, how much more than ordinally ridge pieces can they be.

9. " Roof designs are apparently set in the development ": Nonsense !! roof designs can easily be adapted, your paying make sure you get what you want.

10. If your building from new I would say go to as much time and expense as you can at the time IMO.

so does anyone have a sqm rate on Bluescope ? it maybe slightly dearer than tiles but i imagine the big saving is in the roof structural steel , the weight of concrete tiles is mind blowing ... i just costed a 235sqm house the price came out at 485k for the roof alone using the 16baht tiles ...almost half was in the structural steel work ...

May be of help dunno :- http://www.bluescopesteel.com/products-and-customers/south-east-asia#006

Nothing dumb !! Cools just about a case of understanding the mechanics so to speak which where designs come into play, there are so many different combinations in the way roof designs can be constructed.

1. How does the attic under roof area stay cool? Air flow the more air flow the better efficiency.

2. Open eaves soffit hipped roof will still allow a certain amount of airflow more so with tiles.

3. Open eaves soffit hipped roof with vents positioned correctly will still allow airflow.

4. Open eaves soffit hipped roof with vented ridge runs will allow airflow.

5. To keep a house areas cool the higher the ceilings the better as you say with what happens to air.

6. Well placed insulation on top of low room ceilings play a big part and with sound too.

7. Insulated walls and double glazing.

8. Don't know the cost of ridge vents but have to be better, how much more than ordinally ridge pieces can they be.

9. " Roof designs are apparently set in the development ": Nonsense !! roof designs can easily be adapted, your paying make sure you get what you want.

10. If your building from new I would say go to as much time and expense as you can at the time IMO.

I am currently visiting Thailand. I was able to meet with the developments engineer and he thinks he can accommodate my request for a gable roof over the balcony.

He also suggested that I upgrade my electrical from 15 to 30 and I agreed.

I also asked for another sliding glass door instead of a window at the back of the house.

I just have to wait for the quotes.