"Thai Only" Sign Seen At Mbk

upinthesky

I don't know about you guys, but one of the reasons I came to live in Thailand was for the sabai, sabai lifestyle. Getting your knickers in a twist over this sign is exactly one of the reasons I left Farangland. It's just not worth the time or energy. They don't want your custom. So what? Move on to one that does! ��

Ha, thats funny because the shop owner (presumably Thai) is not being very "sabai, sabai" by saying "I aint servin no whitey" now is he.....

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, thats funny because the shop owner (presumably Thai) is not being very "sabai, sabai" by saying "I aint servin no whitey" now is he.....

Not how I see it. His sign says "I only want to deal with Thais", makes his life much more comfortable and maximizing profits be damned.

Seems the essence of sabai sabai to me.

But everyone's indignant reactions to it certainly aren't.

Let it be, let it be. . .

• Like 1

Not how I see it. His sign says "I only want to deal with Thais", makes his life much more comfortable and maximizing profits be damned.

Seems the essence of sabai sabai to me.

But everyone's indignant reactions to it certainly aren't.

Let it be, let it be. . .

Interesting point, but if such a sabai attitude causes much discord as this does (and not just among foreigners, but I'm sure many Thais are embarrassed about this guy's sign) then it a very selfish "sabai" attitude.

In my opinion a sabai attitude should promote harmony, and this certainly does not.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Interesting point, but if such a sabai attitude causes much discord as this does (and not just among foreigners, but I'm sure many Thais are embarrassed about this guy's sign) then it a very selfish "sabai" attitude.

In my opinion a sabai attitude should promote harmony, and this certainly does not.

Being comfortable, not worrying, no stress just relax. If my doing that makes a lot of other people all freaked out, that's their problem not mine, it's not from my being selfish, it's them getting their knickers in a twist about something that isn't even within their circle of concern. Taking on responsibility for helping the outside world to relax? Sounds like a job of messianic proportions to me. . .

And let's face it, it isn't as if he's denying us foreigners anything that we'd actually value, like a good deal on vaccination shots or something.

I just can't see what the fuss is about.

• Like 1

Being comfortable, not worrying, no stress just relax. If my doing that makes a lot of other people all freaked out, that's their problem not mine, it's not from my being selfish, it's them getting their knickers in a twist about something that isn't even within their circle of concern. Taking on responsibility for helping the outside world to relax? Sounds like a job of messianic proportions to me. . .

And let's face it, it isn't as if he's denying us foreigners anything that we'd actually value, like a good deal on vaccination shots or something.

I just can't see what the fuss is about.

You are clearly not the same kind of person he is Johnny, and I can't see him being laid back. Most people in my experience who own shops like that are not very "sabai" people.

I see what you're saying but you shouldn't defend someone who probably wouldn't help you if you were drowining in an inch of water.

I don't know about you guys, but one of the reasons I came to live in Thailand was for the sabai, sabai lifestyle. Getting your knickers in a twist over this sign is exactly one of the reasons I left Farangland. It's just not worth the time or energy. They don't want your custom. So what? Move on to one that does! ��

Geez, this racist jerk again, . And by the way, the sign never said that, grow upwink.png

You are clearly not the same kind of person he is Johnny, and I can't see him being laid back. Most people in my experience who own shops like that are not very "sabai" people.

I see what you're saying but you shouldn't defend someone who probably wouldn't help you if you were drowining in an inch of water.

I've by now quite forgotten any major point, it certainly isn't that I'm defending him, more like "who cares"? And I strongly suspect that's his attitude as well.

Anyone who actually does care, go ahead and talk to him about it, and please, report back here on his response, probably be more interesting than all this pointless speculation.

Sad.

Can you imagine the fuss if a shop in London put up a "no blacks" sign?

I'm a pretty well committed libertarian, and I support people's right to admit or reject anyone they want from their own property. But I still think it's sad that in a major, city centre shopping mall a shop owner would actually put up a sign specifically barring foreigners from his shop.

Does that apply to all foreigners? Would he serve a Laotian? Does he check their passports or IDs?

Stuff i anyway, there's enough handbag and trinket shops in MBK and elsewhere who are quite happy to take my money.

Exactly right, and that's why it's so nice to not have to worry about such BS here.

I'm a pretty well committed libertarian, and I support people's right to admit or reject anyone they want from their own property. But I still think it's sad that in a major, city centre shopping mall a shop owner would actually put up a sign specifically barring foreigners from his shop.

But if you really truly believe what you say you believe, why would you ever think it sad for someone to exercise their rights? Makes no sense at all to me.

Exactly right, and that's why it's so nice to not have to worry about such BS here.

But if you really truly believe what you say you believe, why would you ever think it sad for someone to exercise their rights? Makes no sense at all to me.

Doesn't even politics have restraints or are you not just openminded to people with a different view from yours?

Same reason I think it would be sad to walk around with a swastika arm band on, or to refuse to ever speak to anyone. You have the right and I wouldn't wish to stop you, but I think it generally produces a less fulfilling life and causes unnecessary bad feeling in those around you.

Same reason I think it would be sad to walk around with a swastika arm band on, or to refuse to ever speak to anyone. You have the right and I wouldn't wish to stop you, but I think it generally produces a less fulfilling life and causes unnecessary bad feeling in those around you.

In this case I suspect his "fulfillment" is simply conducting business with a minimum of hassle. And he's screening himself from anyone in whom his little sign may cause bad feelings.

Doesn't even politics have restraints or are you not just openminded to people with a different view from yours?

I try to be open-minded even when I continue to express my disagreement.

In this case I was trying to get to the bottom of what seemed to be an internal contradiction between his statements.

In your case I have no idea of what point you're trying to make. What does this situation have to do with politics? I honestly don't see any connection. You really think foreigners should be picketing to force this guy to do business with them? Really?

OK go for it, let me know when you're starting I truly may go down to watch the show. . .

In this case I suspect his "fulfillment" is simply conducting business with a minimum of hassle. And he's screening himself from anyone in whom his little sign may cause bad feelings.

I try to be open-minded even when I continue to express my disagreement.

In this case I was trying to get to the bottom of what seemed to be an internal contradiction between his statements.

In your case I have no idea of what point you're trying to make. What does this situation have to do with politics? I honestly don't see any connection. You really think foreigners should be picketing to force this guy to do business with them? Really?

OK go for it, let me know when you're starting I truly may go down to watch the show. . .

Nah but I refuse to believe that discrimination is part of today's modern politics. Being liberal doesnt mean that you shoudn't respect the boundries of bad behavior or free speech.

Banning foreigners might maximize profits for his business. The picture in OP shows a bunch of bags, if he is selling a bunch of overpriced brand name goods, as opposed to knock offs in other MBK stores, he won't want a bunch of foreigners coming in talking about how the bags are twice the price they are at home. Foreigners coming in and trying to haggle, or getting angry over the prices or even worse laughing at how big of a rip off they are could be bad for getting the Thai customers in the store to buy.

Nah but I refuse to believe that discrimination is part of today's modern politics. Being liberal doesnt mean that you shoudn't respect the boundries of bad behavior or free speech.

No one's limiting anyone's speech except those that don't like the sign.

Refuse to believe all you like, but discrimination based on nationality, whether by a government agency or by a private business. is not against the law in Thailand. Or rather, if it does turn out to be so in theory, that certainly is not relevant in practice.

"Bad" behaviour doesn't have much meaning outside the mind of the perceiver.

And I still don't see anything here that has any relevance to politics.

Refuse to believe all you like, but discrimination based on nationality, whether by a government agency or by a private business. is not against the law in Thailand. Or rather, if it does turn out to be so in theory, that certainly is not relevant in practice.

All governments discriminate based on nationality. It is the very essence of citizenship. Being a citizen of a country you come head of the queue each time ( enter the whingers about asylum seekers).

So of course it is never going to be illegal.

Of course you wouldn't. Everytime it comes to a rebuttal you conviniently forget what has been said.

All governments discriminate based on nationality. It is the very essence of citizenship. Being a citizen of a country you come head of the queue each time ( enter the whingers about asylum seekers).

So of course it is never going to be illegal.

More or less although in Thailand since it's a developing country it's more out in the open. If the government initiated the discrimination why shouldn't the people. However it doesn't serve the people's need only those who which to stay in power and these clockringers couldn't care less what happens to their own people.

Tywais - you seem attached to that statute in the Thai constitution. Can you explain then why this statute doesn't seem to affect the prevalent double-pricing in public (national parks) and private institutions?

Perfectly legal for governments and private insitutions to give preference on the basis of nationality and residency. But not on race or gender.

And it is nationality and residency which is the deciding factor in your examples (Always for former and mostly the latter)

Thanks samran, that was pretty much how I was going to word it except yours is more succinct. Thailand is not unique in the dual pricing schemes as there are western countries, even the US, that have multi-tier pricing based on residency, tourists, even age (senior benefits), etc.

I stand corrected. Do Americans really use rhetorical questions more than Brits? interesting...

As a Thai, I draw the line at racist labor laws, property laws, and immigration laws directed at foreigners.

If foreigners want to buy bags or watches in MBK, I strongly believe they should be allowed to.

:-)

p.s. supervised, with CCTV monitoring just in case they steal stuff.

• Like 1

As a Thai, I draw the line at racist labor laws, property laws, and immigration laws directed at foreigners.

If foreigners want to buy bags or watches in MBK, I strongly believe they should be allowed to.

Which side is that line drawn on though ??

The right side.

smile.png

Cant see the problem with this, private shop owners are allowed to set their own right of admission rules, seen signs which say "No Thai's" and one that says "no Russians"

and both these signs are posted on TV...get over it

Isn't the Klu Klux Klan also a PRIVATE organisation?

Are you seriously drawing parallels between a Thai shop keeper - a private business owner - deciding he wants to limit his business by not selling to gullible foreigners with the KKK, an organisation that has mass murder and 200 year record of lynchings on its hands?

Good grief.

Get some perspective. Private business owners are free to choose their customers. Who exactly is this shopkeeper harming, except themselves?

Sad.

Does that apply to all foreigners? Would he serve a Laotian? Does he check their passports or IDs?

Stuff i anyway, there's enough handbag and trinket shops in MBK and elsewhere who are quite happy to take my money.

Do you similarly have a problem with establishments barring Thais . . . .in Thailand? Or is it just that it affects you (although, how, I have no idea given there are hundreds of stores selling the same crap at MBK)

Don't give me this, there would be an outcry if this happened in London. You're not in London now Dorothy; this kind of politically incorrect stuff is what makes me love Thailand, not the other way round.

The right side.

smile.png

Whose right side ??

Cant see the problem with this, private shop owners are allowed to set their own right of admission rules, seen signs which say "No Thai's" and one that says "no Russians"

and both these signs are posted on TV...get over it

Isn't the Klu Klux Klan also a PRIVATE organisation?

Are you seriously drawing parallels between a Thai shop keeper - a private business owner - deciding he wants to limit his business by not selling to gullible foreigners with the KKK, an organisation that has mass murder and 200 year record of lynchings on its hands?

Do you know what they do out the back of their shop ??