Thailand To Upgrade From Squat To Sit-Down Toilets

webfact

Please don't stand upon the seat cause the crabs in here they jump 6 feet.

If you can read the small writing on the door then you have just dumped on the floor.

I used to like the old chain style, sometimes when you pulled it you got a free shower.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good per/cent of rural Thais do all their ablutions just outside the door of the house, Most males will urinate anywhere but the toilet. These updated loos are meant for the usual 20% of Thais. Having a stinking tin shed near the home is quite adequate, a 1000 bht toilet is costly, when they have to buy petrol-mobile cards-dvd's-laos khao-cigs etc.,

Just don't take away the Bum Guns!

Yes, it is a worry that they might do that, wrongly thinking that our filthy Western way of using toilet paper must be superior just because it is 'Western'. Some larger hotels, supermarkets, such as Tescos, and some restaurants have mistakenly done this already. I think the 'bum gun' or 'bum shower' as I call it, is the best Asian invention I have come across and should be adopted and used all over the World. It is so much cleaner and healthier. After all, if u had mud on your hands, u would not dream of not washing them and just wiping them in a towel. But this is the equivalent of what we do in the West with toilet paper.....and as for going down town for lunch, it does not bear thinking about! No wonder that there is now almost an epidemic of STDs in the West and women have to be taught when using toilet paper, to wipe their bums away from

their hois to avoid getting cystitis!

• Like 1

I humbly suggest such a move should be accompanied by instructional diagrams as per my avatar.

Yes, thank you. I was wondering when someone would mention this. I've seen it first hand. Crawl upon the sit down toilet and squat. whistling.gif

A good per/cent of rural Thais do all their ablutions just outside the door of the house, Most males will urinate anywhere but the toilet. These updated loos are meant for the usual 20% of Thais. Having a stinking tin shed near the home is quite adequate, a 1000 bht toilet is costly, when they have to buy petrol-mobile cards-dvd's-laos khao-cigs etc.,

There are quite a bit of slums in Bangkok as well that still have the squatters. My relatives for example, still squat.

Indelicate subject to raise perhaps(but well we ARE already talking about toilets)

but you DO all know that apart from the point raised above about squat toilets being more natural and healthy...

they also have side benefit for us males in that everytime a Thai Lady young or not so young uses a squat toilet she is unknowingly doing a good set of Kegel Exercises on those lower muscles that help to keep certain body parts tight(even after childbirth,or NUMEROUS childbirths),

sitty down toilets,much as I do appreciate the comfort,don't exactly do the opposite,but they dont tighten those muscles...

Now thats good news!! Those "Squat" toilets are awful...If your a man U have to take off your pants and underies just to go poop.. I am sure the women with their dresses or skirts have it a darn site easier.

And almost always, there is no Soap in these types of restrooms with "Squat" toilets to wash your hands. It makes you wonder how and if the

resturant workers who both make & serve food wash their hands after doing their business.

I don't want to even think about it!!!!!! sad.pngermm.gif

Indelicate subject to raise perhaps(but well we ARE already talking about toilets)

but you DO all know that apart from the point raised above about squat toilets being more natural and healthy...

they also have side benefit for us males in that everytime a Thai Lady young or not so young uses a squat toilet she is unknowingly doing a good set of Kegel Exercises on those lower muscles that help to keep certain body parts tight(even after childbirth,or NUMEROUS childbirths),

sitty down toilets,much as I do appreciate the comfort,don't exactly do the opposite,but they dont tighten those muscles...

Those "Kegal exercises" that you mention have their roots thousands of years ago with the Chinese Taoists and they're especially beneficial for men to help prevent and sometimes cure prostate & kidney problems...

Edited by JRinger

These squat toilets do have thier advantages and I think that Thais are sailing into uncharted waters. With the squats a man does not have to take aim, just let it flow. The lower levels of domestic violence and reduced costs on the taxpayer to send police because the wife is whinning for hours on end about how you left the toilet seat up and the reduced costs and burden on the health system to extract the toilet seat from the wifes mouth.

• Like 2

Now thats good news!! Those "Squat" toilets are awful...If your a man U have to take off your pants and underies just to go poop.. I am sure the women with their dresses or skirts have it a darn site easier.

And almost always, there is no Soap in these types of restrooms with "Squat" toilets to wash your hands. It makes you wonder how and if the

resturant workers who both make & serve food wash their hands after doing their business.

I don't want to even think about it!!!!!! sad.pngermm.gif

I think you need to learn how to use a squat toilet.

Personally I like the resounding sound of a plop as it hits the water and I'm more than happy that depressing the magic buttom propels the faeces into an unknown oblivion.

Squat toilets on the other hand and a nightmare for the uninitiated. Hung over, wobbly on your feet and trying to direct matter from an orifice that has never before been used in a directional capacity is one thing. Having to turn and face the dam_n thing as you scoop bowls full of water to send it away is another.

As for vomitting, well give me the great white telephone any day!

• Like 1

I humbly suggest such a move should be accompanied by instructional diagrams as per my avatar.

Yes, thank you. I was wondering when someone would mention this. I've seen it first hand. Crawl upon the sit down toilet and squat. whistling.gif

My father in law does that when he comes to our home, I thought it was just him in his old age.

They'll need training session to prevent muddy footprints on the seats.

Usually takes me at least a month to break a new teerak of that habit. . .

When we have a party, 1st job next morning is cleaning the foot prints off of the toilet seat.

maybe you should have spent the time the night before cleaning the toilet so they did not have to stand on the seat. smile.png

• Like 2

These squat toilets do have thier advantages and I think that Thais are sailing into uncharted waters. With the squats a man does not have to take aim, just let it flow. The lower levels of domestic violence and reduced costs on the taxpayer to send police because the wife is whinning for hours on end about how you left the toilet seat up and the reduced costs and burden on the health system to extract the toilet seat from the wifes mouth.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

got to love these less formal/serious topics.

My father in law does that when he comes to our home, I thought it was just him in his old age.

I will try and find the photos of an accident offshore when someone did this...squatted on a sitdown ceramic lavvy, which collasped the poor guy ended up getting nearly 100 stitiches on his bottom, legs and nether regions....not nice....and very dangerous

The number of people over 60 years old will reach 14 per cent of the population in 2015, compared with 10 per cent in 2005, according to the United Nations Population Fund.

The number of people over 60 years old will reach more than 14% of the population in 2015, as all the guys from the Philippines and other ASEAN nations will have their whole family in LOS.

Can't let them sit on a freaking French toilets......

Some might not be familiar how to use them.

A course for Thai teachers and then another one for kids and parents will solve this problem in about ten years, or so.

Toilet planking?

I can not believe that anywhere else but Thailand would this be classed as a ground breaking story! I mean really, everyone needs to take a dump but why publicize nationally/worldwide that you now know that a sitting toilet is the way forward!!

How about Immigration offices having a computer database for all nationwide visa's for foreigners. I have never seen a country that wastes so much paper for triple copies of un-need information. Time to step out of the dark-ages and use technology that is advertised too readily on Thai TV but never concieved as implemented as a system...........baaa..........humbug........rant over.

In Japan toilets and their features arethe rage. Musical, Auto wash, Warm water rinse,heated seats are all the rage.

i was passing thru qatar a few years ago and as i don't like using the toilets ''in-flight'' i thought i would take my opportunity while i was @ qatar , i opened the door to the 1st cubicle to see footprints from shoes on the seat, same for the next cubicle until i had seen all 6 or 8 {not sure} were all the same , i was really pis*ed off as had been so looking forward to my dump on solid ground, ...i was off !....in search of the airport manager ...after a few enquiries i found him , in all fairness he was very sympathetic to my cause , followed me to see the evidence of stone age ppl that cant be ar*ed to lift the seat if they want to deficate and got a group of employees to hose it all down within 2 mins , i thanked him and he replied '' im very sorry sir, we have many pakistani passing thru today ''.....NOW, I dont mind sharing my world & life with other cultures/racis , but ......if they are not civilised enuf to lift a toilet seat before they deficate, airports and sea ports should have 2 sets of toilets, ....one for the flintstones and one for westerners .....end of !

I used to work for an airline that flew Hajj passengers. After one particular flight I opened a lav door and on th seat was a really neat DQ soft serve pile. I just closed the door.

Those "Kegal exercises" that you mention

One of the most important (to me) parts of my SO training program - the key is an appropriate sized "gripping ball" with the string holding graduated weights - some can lift me right off my back side after a couple of months.

I think I will try making an adjustable version using block-and-tackle like devices hung from the ceiling.

I use those too, most entertaining, that's why I call them "spinners".

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I wonder who has an interest in the firm(s) that make the toilets.

Here we go

Well that's the only reason a programme like this would ever get initiated isn't it?

They're fine if you're wearing traditional Asian garb, but they weren't designed with trousers (with pockets) in mind. Or vice versa. (Trousers and squatters, I mean).

You have to strip from the waist down doncha know. . .

How about Immigration offices having a computer database for all nationwide visa's for foreigners. I have never seen a country that wastes so much paper for triple copies of un-need information.

But the whole purpose of government is jobs for the boys, last thing anyone would want is efficiency, what's the point of that, more jobs the better!