Thailand To Upgrade From Squat To Sit-Down Toilets

webfact

Many toilets in Holland have a "feces shelf" and apparently they have a relatively lower instance of bowel cancer as the stool is visible for blood.

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

The laying down of some loo roll first obliterates the need for brushing down the pan afterwards.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why an "upgrade"?

A seat toilet passes on germs and dirt from previous users, and provides an unnatural body posture for defecating.

A squat toilet leaves your body in no contact with anything left by previous users and provides the natural body posture for defecating.

In other words, squat toilets are superior to seat toilets on all the most important counts. Changing from squat toilets to seat toilets is therefore a downgrade, not an upgrade.

What do you have in your house?

He forgot about old people and less valide.. less contact with a risk to colapse into the shithole. Sit with the minishower is good. How about the little stone tank with a noodle bucket to get water and hoose mysquito larves into your anus...? Still don't know how to do it without hitting free Willy, pants or the back of my shirt. Don't you tell me about contact please when you should not touch anything inside a nasty public restroom.

A very deep squat is the answer, what if i just did 100 in the gym and then a huge, stubborn turtle head is poking out my belly... OMG it's a nightmare biggrin.png

Also I hope they not just take your 3 or 5 Baht and clean more inbetween all the huge squat sesions

Edited by TinoThailand

Many toilets in Holland have a "feces shelf" and apparently they have a relatively lower instance of bowel cancer as the stool is visible for blood.

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

The laying down of some loo roll first obliterates the need for brushing down the pan afterwards.

Are you also from Holland? Because i don't understand anything of your point hahaha

Why an "upgrade"?

A seat toilet passes on germs and dirt from previous users, and provides an unnatural body posture for defecating.

A squat toilet leaves your body in no contact with anything left by previous users and provides the natural body posture for defecating.

In other words, squat toilets are superior to seat toilets on all the most important counts. Changing from squat toilets to seat toilets is therefore a downgrade, not an upgrade.

What do you have in your house?

He forgot about old people and less valide.. less contact with a risk to colapse into the shithole. Sit with the minishower is good. How about the little stone tank with a noodle bucket to get water and hoose mysquito larves into your anus...? Still don't know how to do it without hitting free Willy, pants or the back of my shirt. Don't you tell me about contact please when you should not touch anything inside a nasty public restroom.

A very deep squat is the answer, what if i just did 100 in the gym and then a huge, stubborn turtle head is poking out my belly... OMG it's a nightmare biggrin.png

Also I hope they not just take your 3 or 5 Baht and clean more inbetween all the huge squat sesions

"stubborn turtle head is poking out my belly.." rolleyes.gifI am so sorry for your deformity

Edited by edwinclapham

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

Are you also from Holland? Because i don't understand anything of your point hahaha

I think it has been written pretty clearly (albeit there could always be room for improvement) but in case of problems please refer to the picture.

About bloody time too. So so outdated those squat toilets and bloody unhygenic too. Hey proper sit toilets are cheap enough anyway and maybe the Government should offer grants to everyone upgrading their old fashioned squat ones.. Heck I would almost rather sh*t myself than give myself the back pain from using a silly squat toilet and the long hosing down job of cleaning up the floor and toilet surroundings from the almost inevitable missed aims rolleyes.giflaugh.png

Where it is difficult to get running water for full flush facilities at least you could still use the water storage tank and scoop method still infinitely better and cleaner than the horrid prehistoric squat ones. I love Thailand but it does really need to catch up wit modern, cleaner, more [practical solutions to many of its prehistoric facilities and no most upgrades are NOT expensive either. So this move at least is part of Thailand's much needed and very welcome growing up stage. I can see absolutely NO benefits at all in squat toilets over proper sit ones only a very marginal one off price difference which spread over say a 20 year life would work out at about 20 Baht a year I would guess that is less than 2 Baht a month for the huge benefits of a sit toilet. Great news this one.

Diarrhea song:

When you're sliding into first

And your pants begin to burst

Diarrhea, diarrhea

When you're sliding into two

And your pants are filled with goo

Diarrhea, diarrhea

When you're sliding into third

And you feel a greasy turd

Diarrhea, diarrhea

When you're sliding into home

And your pants are filled with foam

Diarrhea, diarrhea

You're getting in a state

cos' you've left it very late

diarrhea diarrhea

When it comes out of your bum

like a bullet from a gun

diarrhea diarrhea

When it runs right down your leg

like a greasy scrambled egg

diarrhea diarrhea

It's not very funny

but it's very hot and runny

diarrhea diarrhea

when you're rolling' like a tire, cuz your intestines are on fire, diarrhea, diarrhea

when the feeling's not that nice, and you have to flush it twice, diarrhea, diarrhea

when you're on the seat for hours, and it doesn't smell like flowers, diarrhea, diarrhea

when your stomach starts a rollin', and you're cleaning out your colon, diarrhea, diarrhea

toilet paper you need to gather, cuz your butt worked up a lather, diarrhea, diarrhea

you think you're feeling better, but you keep on getting wetter, diarrhea, diarrhea

if you think your friends are jokin', but your pants are brown and soakin', diarrhea, diarrhea

you're there in the huddle, and you're standing in a puddle, diarrhea, diarrhea

you just made a tackle, and it splattered out like spackle, diarrhea, diarrhea

you're going out for a pass, and it blows right out your ass, diarrhea, diarrhea

it's really flowing loose, like it's running through a goose, diarrhea, diarrhea

when you're shopping at the store, and it's dripping on the floor, diarrhea, diarrhea

• Like 1

As GarryP observed all that will happen is that the up-country folk will put down the seat and squat on it .

From that giddy height they possess the aerial accuracy of a WW1 Handley Page bomber ........

I leave the rest to your imaginations.

For those doubting Thomases: I've been in SE Asia for over 4 decades and witnessed this transition in S'pore and Malaysia, too

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

My first experience with one of these gadgets: My first time in Holland, got into my hotel room and hadda go. Sat down and lit up a smoke. When it was done, no ashtray so I dropped the cigarette into the bowl. A minute later- "Huh? Do I have a rash or somethin' down there?" Then...Yaaah! shock1.gif

I think it has been written pretty clearly (albeit there could always be room for improvement) but in case of problems please refer to the picture.

Edited by techboy

As much as I dislike the bloody things, they are supposed to be better for evacuation of the bowels.

Now what will happen is that they will raise the things off the floor and we will hear stories of the old folks breaking hips and legs and cracking skulls as they try to squat on those new toilets and fall off. Wouldn't it be cheaper and far more effective to simply add some hand rails on each side of the stall.

This reminds me of a true story set in OZ, Hampden Rd. Artarmon circa 1964.

A mate was a sales rep for a company called Japan Machines who imported and sold lathes and large machine tools and who witnessed the event.

The day arrived that they were honoured by a visit of the CEO of a large Japanese manufacturer. It was not just a simple visit, it was accompanied by the fanfare of a luncheon with their customers in attendance, a bit of a party you might say with this Jap Gent as guest of honour.

All goes well, foods great, the keg is behaving, until the Jap asks to use the bathroom indicating he's a bit clogged up after such a long flight but obviously his interpreter cant accompany him to the pot. He was courteously shown to the door for big jobs by my mate.

The Lowdown Suite as it was known was only just coming into vogue. Industrial type and even the majority of older home toilet, located in the dunny out the back, those days were invariably the common every day version of the Symphonia, a masterpiece of indestructibility. In fact you can see some fine examples still in operation in public parks and other places, a true testament to their durability. For those not familiar with the set up it used the same sit down porcelain part with bakelite seat ( renowned for cracking and pinching your arse btw ) as is used today. To this there was attached to the wall the cistern, mounted on angle brackets but unlike today 7 feet off the ground, this was to get maximum velocity of water flow to ensure no blockages would occur. Indeed it could flush a golf ball down a garden hose. This whole cistern unit including the brackets and 2'' downpipe were all made of durable cast iron and held about 3 gallons of water just to make sure it worked . The thing was operated by a pull chain. It wasn't lightweight plastic, it weighed in heavy especially when full, on a scale of 1 to 10 it was 11. This particular installation must have been done by a group called The Bodgie Brothers working for the firm Doubtful Constructions who had no clue on the laws of physics, as the method of wall fixing as it turned out, was well below par.

Anyways within 30 seconds of the CEO's entry to the throne room there is a resounding bang and crashing sound and cries for help. Those first on the scene shouldered the door and were witness to seeing the Jap lying on the floor, pants around ankles, water and sh1t everywhere as he'd just let it drop the moment the whole show unravelled. Fortunately not too seriously injured considering he'd just been brained by all that cast iron. Luckily Royal North Shore Hospital was just up the road. Of course what happened was he'd faced the wall as he climbed up onto the throne and took a firm grip on the 2" downpipe which also conveniently had fancy cast iron brackets to keep it an inch or so off the wall for ease of cleaning, He, and as is natural, strained to let one go...Just as the broken bakelite seat slipped from beneath his feet......I think we've all got the picture. It is not known if they still remained agents for the said CEO's products.

They thought of everything in those days except multi lingual signs such as how to use the bog.

• Like 1

Thats great news now when travelling and stop for fuels I will have somewhere to take a dump. Just could not use those squat toilet things. How are you suppose to use them anyway do you stand on the rims or place your feet either side? Went arse over tit once stradling my feet either side of the rims to squat as the bloody floor was wet and slippery, bloody death traps now I just suck the turd in until I can find a toilet.

Just don't take away the Bum Guns!

dam_n right... hands off the bum guns! Oh I love those bum guns.

Everyone has thier little fetish. Just give me some dunny roll. I don't always carry a towel to dry myself after using those silly bum guns. Good for hosing out the bathroom that is about all.

• Like 1

As much as I dislike the bloody things, they are supposed to be better for evacuation of the bowels.

Now what will happen is that they will raise the things off the floor and we will hear stories of the old folks breaking hips and legs and cracking skulls as they try to squat on those new toilets and fall off. Wouldn't it be cheaper and far more effective to simply add some hand rails on each side of the stall.

Lots of broken bones in the red shirt ranks, then...

Here we have a subject on the alternate ways to take a dump and you mange to get politics and the redshirts into it.

Here we have a subject on the alternate ways to take a dump and you mange to get politics and the redshirts into it.

Isn't that right where politics belongs?

Isn't that right where politics belongs?

ok you got mewai.gif

• Like 1

From 15th century post-9891-0-80921700-1339501697_thumb.jp to 21st century post-9891-0-42061400-1339501708_thumb.jp

Amazing Thailand.

In fairness, Thailand does not lag behind in the availability of stylish modern sanitaryware. Its just too expensive for the majority of the people.

And on a related note,

Who is Jack Schitt?

The lineage is finally revealed! Many people are at a loss for a response when someone says: "You don't know Jack Schitt."

Now you can intellectually handle the situation:

Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt.

They had one son, Jack. In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The Deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt.

Against her parents objection, Deap Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

After being married for 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.

Noe Schitt later remarried Ted Sherlock and, because her kids were still living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Shitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they produced a son of nervous disposition, Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six children, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt, were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.

The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens Wedding.

The Schitt-Happens children were Daawg, Byrd, Hoarse and Bull.

Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world. He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

So now when someone says "You don't know Jack Schitt", You can correct them!

Sounds a bit like the Tupper family from Scotland.Just run with it.

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

Ahhh... the Poop Pocket.

First time I saw one of those was in Amsterdam. The good thing about dropping the poo in water is it masks most of the smell. However, the poop pocket has no water to mask the smell, so it really stinks like... crap.

051.jpg?w=300&h=225

Ahhh... the Poop Pocket.

First time I saw one of those was in Amsterdam. The good thing about dropping the poo in water is it masks most of the smell. However, the poop pocket has no water to mask the smell, so it really stinks like... crap.

The odour that is omitted is so dependent on yesterday;'s menurolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

Thai government is going to announce that kids can't leave school until they have learned something, anything. This will lead to an ageing student population. Building toilets in schools will therefore benefit the elderly

The quickest solution is not to replace the squats but to build up a ledge on either side of the squats using the now-declared-useless computer tablets.

• Like 1

I wonder if with every toilet install they will also be hanging a sign telling the locals not to stand on the toilet seat?

Funny you mentioned that because when I first moved to America, I did exactly that for at least 10 years (6-16). One day at the airport I had to go really bad and since I had my sneakers on, I chose to sit down on the toilet. I felt disgusted thinking that I was sharing bum space with strangers. From then on, it was liberation knowing that I can poo anywhere without holding it in until I got home.