What'S Your Favourite Pub?

Great idea. You'll find yourself surrounded my falangs with tattoos on their arms, earrings in their ears, and ogling over god knows what on the soi. In the meantime, you can get comfortable with an older bar girl who will tell you wonderful things. she'll be sure to be winking at her friends and looking to bleed you dry.

On that note...c'mon in! Ripe for pickens.

Thats the beauty of TV, you can post any old tosh and someone will believe it.

For those not familiar with the places mentioned above, dont worry youre not alone, its obvious from the above comments the poster has never set foot in these places.

Actually, I've walked by those places enough times to know that you couldn't pay me to go there. But if that's your idea of entertainment, then God bless you and enjoy your time there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. You'll find yourself surrounded my falangs with tattoos on their arms, earrings in their ears, and ogling over god knows what on the soi. In the meantime, you can get comfortable with an older bar girl who will tell you wonderful things. she'll be sure to be winking at her friends and looking to bleed you dry.

For those not familiar with the places mentioned above, dont worry youre not alone, its obvious from the above comments the poster has never set foot in these places.

Actually, I've walked by those places enough times to know that you couldn't pay me to go there. But if that's your idea of entertainment, then God bless you and enjoy your time there.

Not sure about the Big Mango, but I've been past the Tavern often enough to know you are talking nonsense.

So what is your idea of a decent drinking place Ivan, don't just be negative about other people's tastes let's hear yours.

Not sure about the Big Mango, but I've been past the Tavern often enough to know you are talking nonsense.

So what is your idea of a decent drinking place Ivan, don't just be negative about other people's tastes let's hear yours.

Well seeing as the Big Mango is located at the end of a cul-de-sac it would be interesting to know how he managed to walk passed it enough times.

How to gain credibility on TV, make posts about places, which by your own admission you have never been in.

For me, I like somewhere where the beer prices don't make you wince, the staff remember you, and you can hold a decent coversation. and, ideally, there's a chance of knowing someone there.

So I suppose the Old Dutch wins for me; people can find it easily enough, and there's a good chance you'll meet someone you know walking past

And the bar staff are polite enough not to recognise me

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Has anyone been to 'The Game' or whatever it's called, relatively new sports(ish) bar, I think Sukhumvit 20-ish?

Yes and it didn't feel comfortable or have any atmosphere. Was a no no for me and my mate. It's actually between 11 and 9 just down from Nana BTS stairway. Great location, maybe it'll get better.

I went to The Game just the other night for dinner and drinks with the GF... It's just below the Nana BTS station in what used to be a restaurant space there.

Decent two-level room and comfortable seating, lots of big screen TVs... attentive staff and no hassle from BGs.... Drink menu was varied and not overpriced.... I don't smoke, but they have a separate glass enclosed smoking area fronting onto the street.

But the food we had was mediocre... A supposed cheese and fresh tomatoes topped pizza arrived totally without a single piece of tomato... When we complained to the wait staff, they did end up bring out a new pizza, with diced cold tomatoes sprinkled on top. The falang kitchen manager or chef came out to say he'd gone out for a bit, and his Thai chef didn't prepare it properly... Hmmm...

But more to the point, the pizza was really tasteless, with and without the tomatoes. And when still hungry after the pizza and my GF's entree, we ordered a side of french fries...only to get delivered a plate of fries that clearly had come right out of the frozen bag variety from Makro or Big C...

The other odd thing...is on their menu, they loudly advertise "Open 24 Hours." And when the place first opened a few months ago, that apparently was their plan and intention. But it seems that didn't go over so well with the local BIB...or at least enough money was not paid. So the place isn't 24 hours. And the wait still told me they open at 9 am or so with an all day breakfast menu.

Describing horrible, plastic, imitation alehouses like the Robin Hood/Dubliner/Hanrahans, even Bully's, (add O'Reilly's and the Irish Xchange) as pubs is an insult to the word, and shows how lacking Bangkok is in decent drinking dens.

Try Jools and a few others in that part of Soi 4, The Soi 8 pub, The Silver Dollar, perhaps The Crossbar, they are what you would at least call drinking places.

I live in BKK and have been to most of the places you list above multiple times...

I'm not sure by exactly what criteria you'd judge someplace as good "drinking places."

I believe the Silver Dollar is closed, for starters... And when open, it had almost nothing in common with places like the Crossbar or Soi 8 pub, both of which have been cigarette smoker havens...

If I was looking for a pleasant, no hassle place to drink and eat some decent food, I'd have no problem choosing Robin Hood, the Dubliner or Bully's...

Describing horrible, plastic, imitation alehouses like the Robin Hood/Dubliner/Hanrahans, even Bully's, (add O'Reilly's and the Irish Xchange) as pubs is an insult to the word, and shows how lacking Bangkok is in decent drinking dens.

Try Jools and a few others in that part of Soi 4, The Soi 8 pub, The Silver Dollar, perhaps The Crossbar, they are what you would at least call drinking places.

I live in BKK and have been to most of the places you list above multiple times...

I'm not sure by exactly what criteria you'd judge someplace as good "drinking places."

I believe the Silver Dollar is closed, for starters... And when open, it had almost nothing in common with places like the Crossbar or Soi 8 pub, both of which have been cigarette smoker havens...

If I was looking for a pleasant, no hassle place to drink and eat some decent food, I'd have no problem choosing Robin Hood, the Dubliner or Bully's...

Ahhh yes....and this is why you will seldom see North Americans and Brits drinking together.....our ideas of what makes the perfect pub experience are simply miles apart.

Last time I looked (about a month ago) the Silver Dollar had re-opened on the other side of the square, on Soi 22. True it has nothing in common with the Crossbar or the Soi 8, that is part of the attraction. They are independent places and not sterile, homogenous branches of some bland plastic paddy / sports bar chain.

Obviously John what you are looking for is not so much a pub, but more of a licensed cafe.

To give you an idea of what a drinking place is, the Woodstock when it was in Nana Plaza was a decent little gaff patronised by people who were there for the drink and the atmosphere rather than to critique the pizza. But when it moved down to Soi 55 it changed to a sort of minimalist cafe-bar, f...ing abortion of a place, patronised by pizza-lovers rather than piss-artists.

Edited by rott

If the beer is cold and of good selection, and the food is good, and the service is attentive and you're not hassled by BGs... (unless you want to be), what difference does it make who the owner is or whether it's part of a chain or not?

I've never found the Dubliner or Londoner or Molly Malone's to be "sterile"... Rather, they're often quite busy places with friendly staff and a lot of different patrons, good menus, reasonable prices, live music sometimes, etc etc...

If the beer is cold and of good selection, and the food is good, and the service is attentive and you're not hassled by BGs... (unless you want to be), what difference does it make who the owner is or whether it's part of a chain or not?

I've never found the Dubliner or Londoner or Molly Malone's to be "sterile"... Rather, they're often quite busy places with friendly staff and a lot of different patrons, good menus, reasonable prices, live music sometimes, etc etc...

We're talking about a pub full of drunken conversationalists rather than a place to have one or two beers and a caesar salad.

Edit: Ideally the landlord will be in attendance to throw out anyone who is boring or he simply takes a dislike to. Keeps 'em on their toes....

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

Ship inn ( used to be bulls head) extremely cliquey always the same 6 to 10 people there every night it seems (I don't go there often) but the place is not bad.

The Ship Inn is on Sukhumvit 23 and has been around for ages.

The Bulls Head was on Sukhumvit 33/1 , just down from the Robin Hood. Its now called the Royal Oak.

There is also The Black Swan at the bootom of the BTS stairs opposite Terminal 21.

Durty Nellys on Ekamai between soi 2 and 4.

The Dubliner

Hanrahans

Chequers

The Sporstman

The Queeen Vic

Crossbar

The Club House

The Australian

Hare and Hounds

The Huntsman

and probably many more and thats just in and around lower to mid Sukhumvit.

Edit for sp.

Will be in BKK in a week or so, and might try Soi 22 and 26 for a change, one or two likely looking places thereabouts that I've never had the time to try before.

I like Jools and The Crossbar , its a wonder I missed them.

I didn't like Silver Dollar as a bar (I think they would prefer it refererred to as a bar rather than pub) but the food was pretty good.

Soi 8 pub is the worst place I have had the misfortune to have had a beer in in Bangkok.

I also forgot Beer Vault, Brew , HoB's and Woodstock all of which I like.

Ahhh yes....and this is why you will seldom see North Americans and Brits drinking together.....our ideas of what makes the perfect pub experience are simply miles apart.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. For Brit's they prefer a cozy place with good food where you can have a beer and quiet chat with your friends.

On the other hand , well there isn't much is there......

Plenty of decent pubs around, none of them around Sukhumvit Soi 4. In addition to the very nice No Idea in S22 that I already mentioned, I have to give a nod of the head to The Pintsman in Silom as possibly the best music pub in Bangkok. They have very different bands every Thur, Fri and Sat nights...all of them WAY above average musically and a great setting to have a beer and listen. No smoking inside. The crowds really get into the music too. I like that the DJ plays music that's sympathetic to the band and not loud doof doof music. In a way it reminds me of the old Admakers in Lang Suan except with miles better food......the beer is dam_n good too except no draught Heineken/Guiness/Tiger

The jazz place near Khao San is one of the best in town....

Sounds like Saxaphone, if so you are correct, excellent atmosphere depending who is on stage.

the Jazz club closest to Kao San Rd is the newly relocated Brown Sugar.. Saxaphone is at Victory Monument - 6-7 km further to the East - very difficult to get consensus on Thai Visa.. but I think the map helps

Funny my local of choice does not get mentioned on this thread and it is probably one of the better british pubs in bkk.

That sounds like a load of cows lips

i dont know, they do a fairly steady trade, the black swan

It's a bit pricey, though, isn't it? Not much of a view, and you're unlikely meet anyone you didn't expect. and a bit dicey coming back from the bootwash down the spiral stair... probably best to move on before the evening its too late'n'shakey

Convenient for the BTS, though, quiet enough, the food's good, so I'm told.

SC

Sounds like Saxaphone, if so you are correct, excellent atmosphere depending who is on stage.

the Jazz club closest to Kao San Rd is the newly relocated Brown Sugar.. Saxaphone is at Victory Monument - 6-7 km further to the East - very difficult to get consensus on Thai Visa.. but I think the map helps

If its the small place just along the road and past the junctuon then yeah....defo not Saxaphone...which is good in its own right of course.

Mulligan's at soi 11.... great food, great staff, 16 beer on tap and open 24 hours

open 24 hours? really?for food or booze or both?

I'd be very doubtful they'd be open 24 hours for drinks, since it's against the law, and the newly opened The Game nearby wanted to do the same thing but couldn't.

At any rate, was there for drinks and dinner the other day. Everyone has their own tastes, but I found nothing particularly appealing or exciting about the place. Just another bar adjunct to a hotel, not much different from dozens of others around town.

It was pretty dead and almost empty on our recent Saturday afternoon visit.

post-58284-0-93942400-1345640169_thumb.j

Their quasi web site says their hours are 6 am until late.

http://www.mulliganspubs.com/bangkok/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Cheers, thanks for that, was wondering where BS had relocated to.

bold move for BS... Sarasin was easy access for the locals and local foreigners.. The new place is bigger but takes a little bit longer to get across from the BTS to Phra Nakhon... A is the new location .... B is the old place Patrick is still running it.post-67715-0-03187900-1345650172_thumb.j

Funny my local of choice does not get mentioned on this thread and it is probably one of the better british pubs in bkk.

That sounds like a load of cows lips

i dont know, they do a fairly steady trade, the black swan

It's a bit pricey, though, isn't it? Not much of a view, and you're unlikely meet anyone you didn't expect. and a bit dicey coming back from the bootwash down the spiral stair... probably best to move on before the evening its too late'n'shakey

Convenient for the BTS, though, quiet enough, the food's good, so I'm told.

SC

food quite pricey but v good. the beer is reasonable.

good mixed crowd and Dave has been in the pub business all his life.

As for "Not much of a view, and you're unlikely meet anyone you didn't expect" pretty much sums up a local pub to me.

and those stairs can get natsy, so best to move on after 5.