Integration In Thai Society Made Easy

JurgenG

Many here of course don't care what the Thais think of them, for those I'd suggest the OP is irrelevant; I reckon this thread should be for those of us that do.

And their lies a problem IMO, with regards to the ones who don't care what the Thai's think.

It seems more and more don't care what the Thai person thinks and give a 2 fingered salute to Thai society and culture.

Funny thing is some of these people doing this are the ones who complain about legal migrants in their home country, immigrants and so on who don't try and intergrate into their societys. Bizzare.

Some make an effort, some don't.

I like the saying when in Rome do as the Romans do but I'm not so sure if that would ever really work in Thailand due to what go's on with corruption and so on.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point of the op was blending in with the local scene, I described a typical combo for Tallat, noodle shop, or bamboo bar occasions, OBVIOUSLY nicer places dictate better dress. ..... most of us get it, still some very petty bored posters like to dwell on how others dress, kind of like the movie "Bruno". giggle.gif I do love the politeness of the daily interactions though.

If you were responding to my post I am being rather polite, well for now anyway. I was giving my opinions on certain things nothing more nothing less, and nothing to do with boredom.

Anyway have a nice day in the bamboo bar and enjoy your noodle shop.

Back to the OP. I'm not suprised how some thai's look at farang, the classic for me is sleeveless chang t-shirt, budgie smugglers and flip flops with white shorts upto the knees. Classic.laugh.png

My point exactly, it just seems a bit petty to feel that everyone should dress a certain way and then make implied insults to those that don't share their fashion sense. You never go to a neighborhood open sided bar in the early evening to eat gai ping and drink a beer?,if not well you are missing out, and yes, most of the guys there will be wearing cargo shorts unless they are office workers....

Wherever I go I make an effort to find out where I am going and dress accordingly. If I'm in Pattaya and going down soi 7 or 8 say I'll dress down but prefer to be smart casual not as described above ref budgie smugglers.

If I'm going to a wedding I'm not going to wear t-shirt flip flops and shorts but will wear what I and others consider appropriate for such an occasion.

By the way I'm IMO not being insulting but I do admit to sarcasm at times. I'm from Yorkshire and it's a common thing at times.

HTH.

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

Many here of course don't care what the Thais think of them, for those I'd suggest the OP is irrelevant; I reckon this thread should be for those of us that do.
And their lies a problem IMO, with regards to the ones who don't care what the Thai's think. It seems more and more don't care what the Thai person thinks and give a 2 fingered salute to Thai society and culture. Funny thing is some of these people doing this are the ones who complain about legal migrants in their home country, immigrants and so on who don't try and intergrate into their societys. Bizzare. Some make an effort, some don't. I like the saying when in Rome do as the Romans do but I'm not so sure if that would ever really work in Thailand due to what go's on with corruption and so on.

What do you mean? I myself have greatly benefited from corruption here, and know many farang who do so on a very regular basis, some to the point where they couldn't make their living otherwise.

The few times it's gone against me have been very inconsequential amounts, just part and parcel of living here.

Of course it's the country as a whole, especially the common Thais, who suffer the most, but apparently they don't mind so much, or at least have learned to accept it, don't expect anything else from TPTB.

And their lies a problem IMO, with regards to the ones who don't care what the Thai's think. It seems more and more don't care what the Thai person thinks and give a 2 fingered salute to Thai society and culture. Funny thing is some of these people doing this are the ones who complain about legal migrants in their home country, immigrants and so on who don't try and intergrate into their societys. Bizzare. Some make an effort, some don't. I like the saying when in Rome do as the Romans do but I'm not so sure if that would ever really work in Thailand due to what go's on with corruption and so on.

What do you mean? I myself have greatly benefited from corruption here, and know many farang who do so on a very regular basis, some to the point where they couldn't make their living otherwise.

The few times it's gone against me have been very inconsequential amounts, just part and parcel of living here.

Of course it's the country as a whole, especially the common Thais, who suffer the most, but apparently they don't mind so much, or at least have learned to accept it, don't expect anything else from TPTB.

Oh well at least your making the effort to learn Thai culture.

Maybe your being rewarded for your efforts.:D

And their lies a problem IMO, with regards to the ones who don't care what the Thai's think.

It seems more and more don't care what the Thai person thinks and give a 2 fingered salute to Thai society and culture.

Funny thing is some of these people doing this are the ones who complain about legal migrants in their home country, immigrants and so on who don't try and intergrate into their societys. Bizzare.

Some make an effort, some don't.

I like the saying when in Rome do as the Romans do but I'm not so sure if that would ever really work in Thailand due to what go's on with corruption and so on.

So one who doesn't care what people think about him or her is automatically a hypocrite? Oh that's rich...

So one who doesn't care what people think about him or her is automatically a hypocrite? Oh that's rich...

No people who make no effort to conform to their host culture's mores yet complain about recent arrivals in their home country doing the same - are hypocrites.

• Like 2

No people who make no effort to conform to their host culture's mores yet complain about recent arrivals in their home country doing the same - are hypocrites.

Thank you Bigjonny for that, you probably saved me from having a post removed for sarcasm and probably baiting for replying to someone who just "dont get it".

oh my it's fun on here somes times.:ph34r:

I'm ok......my mankini goes with everything and every situation. I get served really fast in bars and one time i even got carried out of a temple (like a god or king. I'll let you choose) and a very nice police man took me to there station to cool down in there ac. Lovely people.

Problem is.....i don't know how i got injured and woke up in hospital. Must of been a falang being disrespectful to the people and i tried to sort it out and he beat me up. I'll never know, i just remember the first part of this story.

• Like 1

Thais think the farang is better. So, expect their dress to be better than they can afford. They WANT you to look better BUT integrate. I talk here from my mrs teachings AND l am everywhere living with the smiles. God it's difficult being a celebrity eh. laugh.png

OK so if i follow your theory, I would have to wear what 40 yo Thai women are wearing :

- Hello Kitty/Dysney clothes (shirt/sweaters) and accessories (bags/umbrellas) -apparently a big fashion hit with over 40's here even if a huge fashion faux-pas anywhere else in the western world.

- Flowery synthetic (no cotton, far too comfortable by this weather) clothes clashing, that my grandma could have worn (without the clashing)

- Plastic shoes when your feet get swollen and super sweaty in this heat

- or fake "School" looking "sensible" shoes for tired feet that even my grandma refused to wear up until she died at the ripe age of 87, but which are the cheaper thai version so not comfortable but just ugly and make you look like a 100yo.

Now the classier younger attire :

- leopard leggings, leopard skirts, and yes even leopard mini skirts for over 40's, leopard tops, scarf... well really leopard anything seems to be the real classy look for middle age women

- Drop the fake hello Kitty to go uptown for fake Chanel or Dior Tshirt/top (j'adore) accessorized obviously with a fake DG or Gucci bag

- Gold everywhere: sunglasses (asian dictator's wife style) loads of gold rings, tons of gold bracelets and chains, but also on shoes.

- Add silver to gold; considered as super rude anywhere else, here like Christmas decoration are favored all year long, looking like a Christmas Tree is considered hot.

- Plaster my face with white foundation + white powder to look as white as poss and go berserk on colors ie super bright pink lipstick black crayoned eyebrows and vivid eye shadow and end up looking like a clown

- For hair have it long, or choose between the 5 different 1970's haircuts available

Edited by aneliane
  • Like 1

OK so if i follow your theory, I would have to wear what 40 yo Thai women are wearing :

- Hello Kitty/Dysney clothes (shirt/sweaters) and accessories (bags/umbrellas) -apparently a big fashion hit with over 40's here even if a huge fashion faux-pas anywhere else in the western world.

- Flowery synthetic (no cotton, far too comfortable by this weather) clothes clashing, that my grandma could have worn (without the clashing)

- Plastic shoes when your feet get swollen and super sweaty in this heat

- or fake "School" looking "sensible" shoes for tired feet that even my grandma refused to wear up until she died at the ripe age of 87, but which are the cheaper thai version so not comfortable but just ugly and make you look like a 100yo.

Now the classier younger attire :

- leopard leggings, leopard skirts, and yes even leopard mini skirts for over 40's, leopard tops, scarf... well really leopard anything seems to be the real classy look for middle age women

- Drop the fake hello Kitty to go uptown for fake Chanel or Dior Tshirt/top (j'adore) accessorized obviously with a fake DG or Gucci bag

- Gold everywhere: sunglasses (asian dictator's wife style) loads of gold rings, tons of gold bracelets and chains, but also on shoes.

- Add silver to gold; considered as super rude anywhere else, here like Christmas decoration are favored all year long, looking like a Christmas Tree is considered hot.

- Plaster my face with white foundation + white powder to look as white as poss and go berserk on colors ie super bright pink lipstick black crayoned eyebrows and vivid eye shadow and end up looking like a clown

- For hair have it long, or choose between the 5 different 1970's haircuts available

If your a girly, anything goes smile.png and the ladies will copy in the future.

I am talking about Gentlemen, yes there are a few out there and whether Thai lady or man, they expect the best from a farang guy. I can continue but it will be off topic. Soooooooooooo, girly, do what you want, as long as your bits are covered. laugh.png

Oh yeah forgot about the Thai guys in dirty rags who walks with the belly exposed now do they get the same treatment or have I missed something? Isn't up to everyone what they wanna wear and why on earth should they be picked on for it if they don't wear only thong or sth like that?

In the back sois around my neighborhood many Thai guys just wear a sarong with no shirt walking around, even into 7-11. Don't know if the fact they're Muslim is relevant, but I'm sure they don't get much respect if they continue to dress that way once they're outside the hood.

But Thais have higher expectations of us honkies, which when we let them down causes their estimation to drop farther and faster than it would with their own.

Like many here talking about "either BG or educated Thai-Chinese", people generally fall into black-and-white thinking, and gap between the respectable farang vs the kee nok variety is a pretty big one.

What utter nonsens... If I live the way they do , eat the same food they do and respect their culture but do not wear what they consider good for farang and do bear in mind that that differs from province to province as well... It's not disrespectful, it's just a matter of taste.

Going to 7eleven half naked is considered bad mannered anywhere in the world, doesn't make Thailand special in that sense.

The problem here is that according them there is no such thing as equal value and if you don't wanna go by that then fine but that doesn't necesseraly mean you are doing yourself a favor or are disrespecting the Thai culture, you are just following the undemocratic mob of a few unenlightened.

Thank you Bigjonny for that, you probably saved me from having a post removed for sarcasm and probably baiting for replying to someone who just "dont get it".

oh my it's fun on here somes times.ph34r.png

Since I don't get it, please enlighten me...

In the back sois around my neighborhood many Thai guys just wear a sarong with no shirt walking around, even into 7-11. Don't know if the fact they're Muslim is relevant, but I'm sure they don't get much respect if they continue to dress that way once they're outside the hood.

But Thais have higher expectations of us honkies, which when we let them down causes their estimation to drop farther and faster than it would with their own.

Like many here talking about "either BG or educated Thai-Chinese", people generally fall into black-and-white thinking, and gap between the respectable farang vs the kee nok variety is a pretty big one.

What utter nonsens... If I live the way they do , eat the same food they do and respect their culture but do not wear what they consider good for farang and do bear in mind that that differs from province to province as well... It's not disrespectful, it's just a matter of taste.

Going to 7eleven half naked is considered bad mannered anywhere in the world, doesn't make Thailand special in that sense.

The problem here is that according them there is no such thing as equal value and if you don't wanna go by that then fine but that doesn't necesseraly mean you are doing yourself a favor or are disrespecting the Thai culture, you are just following the undemocratic mob of a few unenlightened.

The topic at hand is how does one who wants to integrate with (to me = want to be accepted as respectable by) the locals, do so?

Choosing not to do so is not IMO disrespectful, and I never said it was.

And as I've suggested, if you have no desire or need to integrate with the locals then perhaps you should just stop pestering us with irrelevancies as to why you feel that way, we don't care.

Oh yeah forgot about the Thai guys in dirty rags who walks with the belly exposed now do they get the same treatment or have I missed something? Isn't up to everyone what they wanna wear and why on earth should they be picked on for it if they don't wear only thong or sth like that?

Been out to dinner a few times with farangs and their ladies. The farangs wore shorts and smelly trainers, the ladies were well dressed and beautiful.

Would the farang dress the same way out to dinner in farangland, nooooo, would the Thai lady get told off in farangland if she went out to dinner looking like a beach bum, Yeeeees.

OK, step at a time. You misunderstood MB1 as follows:

I then enlightened you as to what he was actually saying:

No, people who make no effort to conform to their host culture's mores, yet complain about recent arrivals in their home country doing the same - are hypocrites.

And that's the be-all and end-all of the story.

Feel enlightened yet?

If not, don't worry you've got endless lifetimes to figure it out. ..

Calmness and awareness are key to slotting in. Once the locals stop smiling playfully at you and you understand all that is being said around you it's a good sign that you aren't making a fool of yourself anymore. Remember. There are certain things the locals can get away with - going to seven eleven dressed in pajamas is one of them. Dont;t copy that behaviour. It isn't cool. we can't get away with that kind of stuff.

oh my it's fun on here somes times.ph34r.png

You quoted me and picked on one little piece of my post whilst not taking into account the full content of my post of what I was actually saying which means you took the post out of context......Post 37 FYI.

Hope that helps and in future please try and engage brain before engaging typing finger....

Edited by MB1

The topic at hand is how does one who wants to integrate with (to me = want to be accepted as respectable by) the locals, do so?

Choosing not to do so is not IMO disrespectful, and I never said it was.

And as I've suggested, if you have no desire or need to integrate with the locals then perhaps you should just stop pestering us with irrelevancies as to why you feel that way, we don't care.

You pester us with your uncunning old farang / young thai girl stories so why cannot I pester you with sth entirely different?

And who made you judge and jury? Not all dress like that and who says that according to what've you have heard is to right way to get intregated into the society?

I think you are full of baloney. If you kept your mind open to suggestions then the discussion would have taken another turn.

Edited by maxme

MB1 the finger wasn't pointing so much towards you as it was towards BJB but then again I kinda figured you wouldn't get that.

How am I meant to get it if your quoting me...................Jeez some people.

Anyway no more of this please I need to go change into sleeve less chang t shirt, budgie smugglers, flip flops and white socks up to my knees, I need to be a trend setter though I think I maybe 30 years too late.w00t.gif

You pester us with your uncunning old farang / young thai girl stories so why cannot I pester you with sth entirely different?

And who made you judge and jury? Not all dress like that and who says that according to what've you have heard is to right way to get intregated into the society?

I think you are full of baloney. If you kept your mind open to suggestions then the discussion would have taken another turn.

OK fair enough. It's true that if you have no need to "integrate" as being respectable, and just want to be perceived as another down-and-outer in a wifebeater drinking lao khao with the lads that's your right.

For me, I need to make an impression to land jobs with wealthy Thai customers, so my view of integration is going to be different.

To each his own you're absolutely right.

OK fair enough. It's true that if you have no need to "integrate" as being respectable, and just want to be perceived as another down-and-outer in a wifebeater drinking lao khao with the lads that's your right.

For me, I need to make an impression to land jobs with wealthy Thai customers, so my view of integration is going to be different.

Ah so you deal in absolutism. That means there is no point of a discussion with you which makes my former conclusion the more legit. You are full of baloney.

You are full of baloney.

Last time i heard that was while watching Judge Judy many years ago :)

Clothes maketh the man.

Manners maketh the gentleman.

... and then the gentleman makes the Lady ... rolleyes.gif

sorry theblether ... could not resist ... tongue.png

I'll let you off with it ?

I made the mistake when I first went to Thailand of slouching about in beach wear. I now don't walk out the door without looking at least smart casual.

Good manners are international.

What I do not understand that Bangkok is the Nation's Capital City.

You would not dress so casually in say Manilla, Tokyo or Singapore.

The heat, which we all struggle with, is a determining factor.

Smart casual is definately the go.

Works for me ...

Ah so you deal in absolutism. That means there is no point of a discussion with you which makes my former conclusion the more legit. You are full of baloney.

Yet again, no idea where you're getting these ideas.

Maybe you thought I was being sarcastic? Not so. Remember, I'm not British. . .

Clothes maketh the man.

Manners maketh the gentleman.

... and then the gentleman makes the Lady ... rolleyes.gif

sorry theblether ... could not resist ... tongue.png

I'll let you off with it ?

I made the mistake when I first went to Thailand of slouching about in beach wear. I now don't walk out the door without looking at least smart casual.

Good manners are international.

What I do not understand that Bangkok is the Nation's Capital City.

You would not dress so casually in say Manilla, Tokyo or Singapore.

The heat, which we all struggle with, is a determining factor.

Smart casual is definately the go.

Works for me ...

I knew I would make you guy's see my point eventually, smart casual is the way to go, though that does depend on the occasion ; oh and not forgetting the heat factor.thumbsup.gif

Yet again, no idea where you're getting these ideas.

Maybe you thought I was being sarcastic? Not so. Remember, I'm not British. . .

I am...........??????.>>>>>>>>>Well maybe.bah.gif