There Is No Ban On Used Car Imports, But On Parts ..

From the news forum

http://www.thaivisa....-used-vehicles/

The ban is on used parts as told to me by contact at Ministry of Foreign trade.

I have just received permission to import my used car- from Malaysia, too ( I am US citizen ) took two weeks from application date .

Must apply in person at Ministry of Foreign Trade in Nonthaburi.

and must pickup permission letter too in person.-they will not mail.

Catch is : Must have owned the car one and half years before residing in Thailand So glad I did the tourist visa run thing fo rthe first couple of years as they begin counting residing from issuance of first non immig visa.

Then ; One needs 5 years of continuous B visas. ( have no idea about retirees )

Also Work Permit, bank accounts

pics of the car, all sides, inside and yourself with the car

Pic of VIN and Engine number ( if possible )

take all original docs with copies such as titles and receipt.

As usual, all pages of passport.

Helps to have your own company.

I'll keep posted on actual experience at Customs... ( the car is already here on temp import..the value from that temp import estimate is inflated to 700,000. I have been told it will not pertain to permanent import. )

I understand I declare the value to Customs, as with any product , which from used car sites in USA is about 3000 USD X 180 % tax roughly then minus - 80 % discount , (over 10 years old) and should get it in for about .....40,000? Beats buying a crappy generic- barf -styling box car here and I know it's maintained. Plus it's a left hand drive which I find to be an advantage in the land of middle of the road drivers, not to mention far more safer to exit when parked on busy roads.

Stay Tuned

Edited by StarFighter
  • Like 1

if you can, its best to talk to customs first, before you import. Give them all the details and see what they say. I would be cautious about working out the figures yourself without checking all the calculations and the different types of tax and multipliers that are then applied. i imported a car myself a few years ago and had help luckily. This may not be as straightforward as you suggest and many people have come unstuck in the past eg it does not matter what the 2nd hand value in the US is Thai customs will put their own value on the car. good luck!

Edited by wordchild

• 4 weeks later...

OK naysayers , you were right. what a collossal exercise in futility. btw I did go to customs first, Phuket where I was told to jump throught the hoops of applying before I could get any kind of answer omn the actual cost, however the ministry of trade , in their wisdom of having all applications in thai and thai only, put down the weight in lbs for engine cc size. When i showed them the mistake second trip to Nontahaburi the Malaysia titlte , they gasped and informed me I could not import the car after all.

I have no respect for the policies and machinations of this country and see this as a deal breaker. wish to gawd I had never moved here , ok for the men with the prostitutes and all, but just sick of the alienation and outright hostility.

Edited by StarFighter
  • Like 1

Bangkok Matt,

If the car is newer, I would agree, but according to the Customs site, and all officers I've talked to agree, after 10 years the rate is reduced by 80 %. Also there is a strange clause I have discovered about Japanese manufactured cars getting an additional 25 % discount.

But yes I"m still trying to confirm where the value comes from.

OK... update due to really really jaw dropping ine ... well I'll just stick to facts

Misunderstanding and typo errors on letter "due to the language they use is different and average Thais such as the person I got to proof read my letter might not admit they can't read it." ( yes he did gloss over the engine size numbers come to think of it...)

Am waiting on clarification on required time constraints since it was imported to MY has changed that goal line.

And yes, JFHC,I did disclose all this upon initial phone call, and in the first meeting with all docs offered and even with a registered letter to the director that never made it to his desk..?? Still waiting for answers on that one.

Am also actively seeking appropriate, er.. counsel to approach Customs as I still cannot get direct questions on the duty fees answered. I intend to obtain those figures before moving on. Am told by agents that hang around the Customs house to alway import at the MY border, with my MY visa , it is more likely to stay above board. We'll see

I thinking no more than 40,00 and actually on what I paid for it, and if I can swing that Jap discount, 31,000 ( on year 2000 )

But in fairness, MFT have admitted huge mistake on their part. At least I got registered as an importer, with a number assigned, and I can apply online IF and WHEN I get another approval letter issued.

Meanwhile, Customs will not issue any more extensions on this temp permit ( got 6 months on it though..which is perfectly legal. ) so pulling a cannonball to MY soon. That route through Phang-nga and Krabi is gorgeous anyway and I should stop and have a short holiday along the way. And my workers can too and get paid for it. Jeeez

Edited by StarFighter

I am thinking about moving back to TH from MY and wish to bring my old Proton with all of my bits and pieces and simply drive here over a day or two. Having read the above, am I to take it that the procedure for bringing myself and my car to TH is likely to be very complicated?

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about moving back to TH from MY and wish to bring my old Proton with all of my bits and pieces and simply drive here over a day or two. Having read the above, am I to take it that the procedure for bringing myself and my car to TH is likely to be very complicated?

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.

For a 6 month's holiday shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, but I am hoping to move here permanently - Malaysia to Thailand. I would like to also bring my car and register it here, for future use in Thailand. It is the procedure for doing that for which I am looking for information.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Thanks, but I am hoping to move here permanently - Malaysia to Thailand. I would like to also bring my car and register it here, for future use in Thailand. It is the procedure for doing that for which I am looking for information.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Make it easi on yourself and your wallet. Sell it in MY and buy the same car here.

^ Not sure he can do that and save money, used cars are really expensive here plus you really have no idea if it was maintianed. My car is not available, it is left hand drive which I find safer, and I know it's history and I'll get another 150, 000 onit. Plus it's cool as can be and I enjoy it. ALl the cars here look the same, 4 doors or pay out the yang..

Update # 4

Am still attempting to find the cost. And also was informed one must hang onto it for three years before resale. MY MMSH has a little non disclosed tid bit in that when one sells th ecar, the duty is them paid for by the buyer. Must post that on MY forum

Have revised my estimate down somewhat, I don't see how they can claim it's worth more than I paid for it though my eyes may be closed. Even if they use MY estimate of value, it's still cheaper than buying a used car. That's the idea, to not keep buying a car or other crap. Car before I moved, had for 22 years, regret selling it too but the gas was insane. My lap top is 7 years old and my TV is 6 , 17 inches of CRT. DId finally buy a cheapo replacement phone last year.

TonTonJoy,

You can easily drive in temporarily on a 30 day customs tourist permit. You need to get have TH insurance though which can be bought at the border. YOu can also get 30 day extensions at local Customs House, though I'm told 6 month is limit per year,

I am attempting to permanently import. It seems to be doable, if you read the thread..however I am awaiting verification on costs, restrictions before I proceed.

For permanent import , if are not Thai, you will need 5 years of continuous B visa, and WP. And Thai driving license, plus the usual certificates of residency.

Important : will need proof of owner ship of the car for 1 . 5 year before first Thai B visa

Perhaps prepare to make two or more possibly futile trips to Bangkok.

BTW Sadao closes at 11 PM I found out the hard way.

The Mae Sot border, even earlier drive there in about 8 hours, closed ghost market with leering guard, then over and back to at Yai , awful..down to Sadao, with 15 minutes to spare, back up to Hat Yai maybe 14 hours driving.

Bangkok Matt,

If the car is newer, I would agree, but according to the Customs site, and all officers I've talked to agree, after 10 years the rate is reduced by 80 %. Also there is a strange clause I have discovered about Japanese manufactured cars getting an additional 25 % discount.

80% + 25% = they pay me 5% to import from Japan.............. love it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have shipped cars into Thailand in the past before the laws changed.

The taxable value of your car in my opinion from past experience will be based on it's re sale price here valued by customs not your invoice from purchase.

The rarety of an old Rolls here for example makes it's taxable value 10x it'value in UK

The taxable value of your car in my opinion from past experience will be based on it's re sale price here valued by customs not your invoice from purchase.

The rarety of an old Rolls here for example makes it's taxable value 10x it'value in UK

Exactly, the value of anything is what THEY say it is, and they base that on what they think the actual value is in Thailand. What you paid for it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I imported a 60 year old Cincinnati press brake that I would have had to sell for scrap in the US and they valued it at US$120K.

But bear in mind, if people were not constantly trying to cheat the government, they would probably much more trusting and cooperative.

Thats what the people that post about importing their vehicles can't get their head around ,it's pretty simplewink.png .

I agree the duties are ridiculous, however on old cars, it isn't prohibitive. What's impossible is the personal criteria and I can see how rare it would be for a person to fullfill ( 5 continuous years of B visa , ownership over a year prior, etc etc etc. )

UPDATE

have spoken to Customs and was told my estimate of between 30,000 and 40,000 baht" seems about right" and value will be based upon what I paid in USA for it. Getting that on paper is another trick. I have just received the new letter with corrected engine number , so will make another trip to Bangkok to finish the application next week or so.

• 1 month later...

I agree the duties are ridiculous, however on old cars, it isn't prohibitive. What's impossible is the personal criteria and I can see how rare it would be for a person to fullfill ( 5 continuous years of B visa , ownership over a year prior, etc etc etc. )

UPDATE

have spoken to Customs and was told my estimate of between 30,000 and 40,000 baht" seems about right" and value will be based upon what I paid in USA for it. Getting that on paper is another trick. I have just received the new letter with corrected engine number , so will make another trip to Bangkok to finish the application next week or so.

Any updates buddy, how did u get on?

t.

I imported a 60 year old Cincinnati press brake that I would have had to sell for scrap in the US and they valued it at US$120K.

So how much did it end up costing ?

OK naysayers , you were right. what a collossal exercise in futility. btw I did go to customs first, Phuket where I was told to jump throught the hoops of applying before I could get any kind of answer omn the actual cost, however the ministry of trade , in their wisdom of having all applications in thai and thai only, put down the weight in lbs for engine cc size. When i showed them the mistake second trip to Nontahaburi the Malaysia titlte , they gasped and informed me I could not import the car after all.

I have no respect for the policies and machinations of this country and see this as a deal breaker. wish to gawd I had never moved here , ok for the men with the prostitutes and all, but just sick of the alienation and outright hostility.

So you're taking your ball and going home?

t.

So how much did it end up costing ?

The duty was only US$6K, but it's just the idea that they can set the value at whatever they want. Whatever you do, don't try to low-ball the value, an supporting documentation means nothing.