Who Can Help Me?

justaforeigner

Ok,

Here is my story. Around 8 months back ago I was thinking about moving to Thailand. I liked the country very much from my previous travels and since I am still young (25) I decided that this was the time to do it.

I was a supermarket manager with middle degree education. This was afcourse not the best education to test my luck, so I decided to try to look around on the net first. Also I have experiance in administration/translation/blog writing/articles in all sorts of kinds in the languages English and Dutch. After a while good thinking,looking and researching I found by craigslist an company who wanted to hire me.

It appeard to be an translations company in all sorts of lanuages. I did an Skype interview with the Thai man who spoke very good english. After one and a half week I recived the e-mail that he wanted me to join his company, also he would arrange an working permit etc. The only condition was that I applied for an Thai course to learn the language soon as possible so I could do those translations aswel. Happy as I was I quited my job back home. Started to pack my bags and around half December 2011 I was in Bangkok.

Soon as I arrived I bought a motorcycle, rented a appartment for an year (contract) and started to settle. After one week (which we agreed) I called the man again and we had an meeting in an coffeeshop. This I thought was strange already but also I was a little bit naiv afcourse. He told me that he still didn't recived all the papers so it was the best to starting the Thai course and apply for an ED visa first. He assured me everything was gonna be fine. I didn't want to talk bad to my new employer on the first official meeting so I did what I was told. I applied at an school, went to Laos and within a few days I was back with my visa.

Again I called the man. He didn't answer his phone. This went on for a couple of days. When I finally got to spoke to him I got a very weird stoy about missed big clients, difficult times, inflations bla bla bla. To come short, he stopped with his company and it was to bad for me. I still didnt sign any papers so I am f%^&*.

Since I live here now for a couple of months I enjoy the city life. I can get good around and have a lot of fun here.(no I do not drink or party everyday, once a week is enough.) I do my best at Thai school and try to forget about the dirty <deleted>...

Also I have my renting contract for another 6months for my appartment and my school aswel. Above all I dont want to leave back home. My question to you all is, Can anyone help me making a few extra bath?

As I mentionned above I dont have an proper education to get an job here. My writing can help me only a little bit a month since it is not easy to find work in this sector aswel. I don't want to do illigal things or sell myself ;-) I know it is already illigal to work withouth an working permit but I mean just small jobs.

Get your administration organized, that sorts of things. I can do many things and I am easy to learn every new thing.

My dream is to become dive instructor in this country and I have my own dive gear and padi advanced. So if you're willing to sponser the rest you're most welcome. ;-)

For all the rest I am willing to work hard to make a living here so hopefully one day I do get an working permit from a good boss here. Or at least finish my school/renting contracts here and look somewhere else in the world.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask me more.

P.S. I posted this in the Bangkok forum since I am based here and think here I get more helpful reactions instead of the Hire me forum.

Register with company's like odesk, freelancer etc and earn living by blog writing. commenting, link building, and translations.

Check out both of those, have million's of job posted(online jobs)

• Like 2

Try the dive shops in Phuket, Samui and other areas there,its low season now and a few have closed down over the past 2 years due to lack of custom but its a start.....its not BKK but not much call for dive instuctors in City of Angels..

Try to connect with as many (ideally entrepreneurial) people as possible.

Given your lack of formal education, networking will be the key to success.

You seem to be clever and determined, and I am sure you have a lot to offer.

I think you will do well if you find a way to show employers what you can do.

Register with company's like odesk, freelancer etc and earn living by blog writing. commenting, link building, and translations.

Check out both of those, have million's of job posted(online jobs)

+1thumbsup.gif

My dream is to become dive instructor in this country and I have my own dive gear and padi advanced. So if you're willing to sponser the rest you're most welcome. ;-)

Good luck to you, but this is a bit of a big ask ^^^ I think you'll need to self-fund.

Investigate some different dive schools, Koh Tao has the cheapest diving in Thailand, and there are plenty of places offering zero to hero courses. It's then up to you to impress them enough to hire you. The fact you're bilingual and could instruct in Dutch and English is an advantage you have.

I know of a few other young guys from Holland who came here on a whim and in the end had to go back,it will not be easy to support yourself after your savings run out but of course it can be done!Teaching English is always an option and you should be able to find work pretty easy.Taken a short course in Thai to become a translator is a bit naive i think but live and learn.

Last piece of advice ,keep things legal!your edvisa should be good for a year and hopefully by then you can find a job.

Good luck.

One option to earn some money are the movie extra and actor jobs. Here you can find a list of a few modelling agencies, you can visit or contact them to get your details and pictures taken (normally is free). Once you get to the first movie or commercial you meet a lot of people and agents. This helped me a lot at the beginning. Just be friendly and search for contacts. Per instance, this agency has a page on Facebook with frequent jobs. Good luck

First of all, learn to spell. I was going to suggest you try and obtain a TESOL or TEFL certificate so you could perhaps teach English language. But with your level of English and your ability or should I say inability to spell correctly I would not advise it.

You say you were a supermarket manager. In what country? I was a retail manager and senior store manager in the UK for many years and I find it hard to believe that someone with your level of education was actually managing a store. Surely creating staff rotas, P&L accounts, store delivery inventories etc you would have gained a much better command of the English language.

I suggest you pack your bags and return home.

• Like 2

First of all, learn to spell. I was going to suggest you try and obtain a TESOL or TEFL certificate so you could perhaps teach English language. But with your level of English and your ability or should I say inability to spell correctly I would not advise it.

You say you were a supermarket manager. In what country? I was a retail manager and senior store manager in the UK for many years and I find it hard to believe that someone with your level of education was actually managing a store. Surely creating staff rotas, P&L accounts, store delivery inventories etc you would have gained a much better command of the English language.

Let's be fair to the OP, as a second language speaker, I don't think his English is bad at all.

In Bangkok have Dutch school for Thai people who want to apply visa for Netherlands , may be you can ask about job for teaching Dutch their.

Try to seach for nederlandslerenbangkok, dutchtutor, nederlands-thailand. Good luck.

Not the smartest of replies. Did you work for Mace?

You're far too young to be moving to Thailand. Stay at home and earn money and then consider coming here to work in your late thirties early forties.

The PADI diver bit doesnt instill confidence.I used to be a commercial diver. PADI is touristy crap.

Unless youre wealthy(unlikely) youre not much of a prospect for girls who hang out with farangs. They go for the old guys retired with assets. You might meet a young woman in

a regular tax payee job but she will probably end up just as big a pain as all the rest.

For your information.....the quickest way most farangs become millionares in baht currency is to do the following...

come to Thailand with 7 million baht

marry a bar girl or any Thai for that matter

start a business you know nothing about

watch your money being devoured by unforeseen forces

divorce your Thai wife

after 5 years you will be worth about 1 million baht

if youre lucky

congratulations you are now a milionare !!!!!

Edited by jalansanitwong

You're far too young to be moving to Thailand. Stay at home and earn money and then consider coming here to work in your late thirties early forties.

The PADI diver bit doesnt instill confidence.I used to be a commercial diver. PADI is touristy crap.

Unless youre wealthy(unlikely) youre not much of a prospect for girls who hang out with farangs. They go for the old guys retired with assets. You might meet a young woman in

a regular tax payee job but she will probably end up just as big a pain as all the rest.

For your information.....the quickest way most farangs become millionares in baht currency is to do the following...

come to Thailand with 7 million baht

marry a bar girl or any Thai for that matter

start a business you know nothing about

watch your money being devoured by unforeseen forces

divorce your Thai wife

after 5 years you will be worth about 1 million baht

if youre lucky

congratulations you are now a milionare !!!!!

good to see there is no shortage of trolls who post anything but the answer to OP.

First of all, Thanks everyone for all the help en positive words/replies. It really helps a lot and it give me some work to sort out to hopefully find something!

For my concerns about:

Sibbo, That my spelling is slightly incorrect is very normal on an expat forum, wich I read for about six months now and I never seen someone writing proper English. That has nothing to do that we all cannot write but it's the time and effort we put in it. Also we don't really care about perfect writing here as long people understand it. That I have an middle degree education not have to say anything, that I graduated in manager/owner from an own store and had many years experiance in the branche does however. For the rest other posters give you proper feedback already. Please don't be angry about it, consider it as an learning lesson. Think a little bit and save yours (and others) time by giving no or an helpfull reply.

jalansanitwong, Dude I dont know if you read anything of my story but I didn't ask anyone for help with relational problems. With a little bit of good looks and good stories you can have any girl in your bed even without being rich.(at least it works for me and I think a lot of people more). That you have to spend your wealthy money on girls at soi cowboy is not a fact that all foreigners have to do, it's just an reality check that you have neighter of both, no good looks or good stories. So enjoy your time spending you hard earned dough on chicks and leave less unimportant posts.

If you have criticts for me wich you can understate I will take most advices. Answers like this ones not help me so than not bother to post them.

• Like 2

So you are saying you have to have a high level(just like your good self)of intelligence to be a supermarket manager yes? I should imagine with your reply here you had a tough job sorting out that staff rota....did you have any staff! lol!

Edited by MrRed

Write a letter to your relatives back home and ask them to send you over a few million baht. Then go out and buy a bar and a massage parlour.

This is your best option and the work will keep you busy for a few years. welcomeani.gif

intheclub.gif

Dude, did you get onto the relatives .. ? have you checked out any bars for sale yet ?

I am ready to support any bar you open ... :)

thumbsup.gif

Write a letter to your relatives back home and ask them to send you over a few million baht. Then go out and buy a bar and a massage parlour.

This is your best option and the work will keep you busy for a few years. welcomeani.gif

intheclub.gif

Dude, did you get onto the relatives .. ? have you checked out any bars for sale yet ?

I am ready to support any bar you open ... smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Maybe you should crawl back to the bar you've just emerged from, as you clearly have nothing of relevence to say to the OP.

Sukhumvit Spa and Massage

This beautifully decorated 8 year old massage and spa is conveniently located on Sukhumvit soi 23, very close to many hotels as well as the BTS Skytrain and MRT stations. Nearby shopping areas make this a busy area.

Last year's sales totaled 3 million Baht with a net profit of 1 million Baht after expenses were deducted. The 400 sqm spa has a monthly rent of 40,000 Baht and 20 staff working on a commission basis.

The owner plans to leave Bangkok and so wishes to sell the business.

ASKING PRICE: 3.2 million Baht

This could be you !!! thumbsup.gif

You are in Bangkok, right? I know someone who have valunteer work (earn some extra money) for foreigner but first I have to talk with them if still available and it is in North.

About dive instrutor, you already have PADI advance, it mean you need more courses such as:

- PADI rescue diver (cost about 12,000-16,000 baht)

- PADI dive master (16,000-35,000 baht, depend on dive shop)

- instructor development course (IDC)

- instructor examination

- PADI instructor

There are so many dive shop in the south (Phuket, Kho Tao, Similan, Kao Lak,...) and I think after finish Thai course you should go there to follow your dream, but what you are doing (Thai study) is already good idea, keep go on and pay intention.

You can send me PM, may be I have something for you about English writing.

You are in Bangkok, right? I know someone who have valunteer work (earn some extra money) for foreigner but first I have to talk with them if still available and it is in North.

About dive instrutor, you already have PADI advance, it mean you need more courses such as:

- instructor examination

- PADI instructor

There are so many dive shop in the south (Phuket, Kho Tao, Similan, Kao Lak,...) and I think after finish Thai course you should go there to follow your dream, but what you are doing (Thai study) is already good idea, keep go on and pay intention.

I knew one guy who worked in Phuket, his pay was 200 baht per dive. on a lucky day he would do 3 dives, which still adds up to under 20K per month

I do not think its a job that pays enough to sustain a living, better off getting a teaching job for 25K per month and try to get some private lessons to compliment the salary.

Alternatively can do the crappy 25 K teaching job for 1-2 years and apply for a better paying job and keep growing.

Also knew one guy in BKK, started off as a teacher for 25k/month, 2 years later got a better job at 40k per month, 8 years later was teaching at Uni and according to him on 130k/month plus accommodation.

Eventually got married and moved back to France(yeah he was French, teaching English)

- instructor examination

- PADI instructor

I knew one guy who worked in Phuket, his pay was 200 baht per dive. on a lucky day he would do 3 dives, which still adds up to under 20K per month

I do not think its a job that pays enough to sustain a living, better off getting a teaching job for 25K per month and try to get some private lessons to compliment the salary.

Alternatively can do the crappy 25 K teaching job for 1-2 years and apply for a better paying job and keep growing.

Also knew one guy in BKK, started off as a teacher for 25k/month, 2 years later got a better job at 40k per month, 8 years later was teaching at Uni and according to him on 130k/month plus accommodation.

Eventually got married and moved back to France(yeah he was French, teaching English)

Potential earnings as a dive instructor can be higher than that, but it depends on you, your qualifications, what you can teach and in what languages. In conversation i've had with certain instructors, they are claiming 50,000-60,000thb per month in high season. Having seen how busy they are, I can believe it. They were paid per student on each course, I seem to recall 2000thb per head; do the the maths, 5 students x 2000thb = 10,000 every four days.

All freely admitted that this was highly seasonal though, and for every month they earnt those figures, there were months they earnt far, far less. They were also very experienced instructors who could also teach multiple PADI courses and specialities (most of which are a borderline fraud, but that is an entirely different debate).

As for the uni English teacher earning 130k.....I thought the uni's paid about 100k less than that for English teachers. I'm really having trouble believing it.

- instructor examination

- PADI instructor

Potential earnings as a dive instructor can be higher than that, but it depends on you, your qualifications, what you can teach and in what languages. In conversation i've had with certain instructors, they are claiming 50,000-60,000thb per month in high season. Having seen how busy they are, I can believe it. They were paid per student on each course, I seem to recall 2000thb per head; do the the maths, 5 students x 2000thb = 10,000 every four days.

All freely admitted that this was highly seasonal though, and for every month they earnt those figures, there were months they earnt far, far less. They were also very experienced instructors who could also teach multiple PADI courses and specialities (most of which are a borderline fraud, but that is an entirely different debate).

As for the uni English teacher earning 130k.....I thought the uni's paid about 100k less than that for English teachers. I'm really having trouble believing it.

i can not comment on either as this is second hand information. though i am having hard time believing they get paid 2000 per student per dive.This is what the company charge, certainly not what they get

As for teaching over 100K, it is very visible as private schools pay top money, one of BKK schools were looking for teachers offering $53000-$55000 per year, ie approx 135 000 per month