Mor Doo In Phuket

snamos

Am I alone?

I regularly eat out in the evenings. Now when ever there is an older waitress around the 'Mor Doo' (witch doctor) crap comes out. So Im ordering a meal...next thing I overhear some suspicious activity..talking about spirit houses and 'Narak' the boy ghost....and then the next day I have to buy toys and fanta and other <deleted> to satisfy some boy god that is on top of my cupboard.....I feel like flicking him over the back fence so the soi dogs can chew him up. Plus Ive got some ganesh looking poster and a seven headed dragon statue n the house, the smell of insence is pissing me off and the constant money for 'Tum Boon' (merit making even though it is only 20 baht at a time) is annoying me too, Id prefer to give it to the soi dog foundation. Plus when I have to go to work for 4 week stints the sister has to come around and sleep over....naturally that means I have to foot the petrol bill. Now Ive got a pit bull that would rip apart an 18 wheeler truck but that doesnt seem to help the situation....as ghosts and spirits and incense are immuned to dog bites...but when Im home its sweet, no dramas......Does anyone else in Phuket suffer this problem.

• Like 1

My wife's a Hindu Buddhist. She has one shelf with pictures and ornaments on. She puts fruit and drink on the shelf for a couple of hours once or twice a week. She also reads (to herself) from a book for about 2 minutes every night before she sleeps. It's not a problem for me, she knows I think it's mumbo jumbo but it's her business. She doesn't really go for all the ghost stuff and I wouldn't be too keen on incense but she doesn't use that either, so it's all good.

She knows that monks are B/S, and understands the people we can not talk about, perfectly, that's good enough for me. smile.png

Like I said, my wife doesn't really do the spirit house stuff, she just believes in hindu 'angels' so her offerings of food are buddhist related.

I would guess 'snamos' is talking about a combination of the pagan stuff you mentioned and buddhist rituals as well?

I wouldn't want my house smelling like a temple.

Soon the street cats and dogs will smell it and camp out at your house thinking its a place to get a feed.

The fortune tellers are scammers but try telling that to the people who think wearing Buddha amulets protect them from death or brings them fortune®.

When I see farangs wearing them, I giggle inside.

The fortune tellers are scammers but try telling that to the people who think wearing Buddha amulets protect them from death or brings them fortune®.

When I see farangs wearing them, I giggle inside.

The livelihood of these vendors of magic and charms depends on telling their customers that something is wrong or that some evil forces have been employed by someone to bring about their family misfortune. They then claim to be able to counteract these evil forces and charge large sums of money by promising to ‘cure’ them. More often than not, the only effect is that these unsuspecting victims end up becoming lighter in their pocket and as a result are none the wiser for their experience.

Moo Doo - หมอดู is not a "witch doctor"

Moo Phee หมอผี is a (witch doctor)

Moo Doo - หมอดู is a fortune teller, and to some can be considered somewhat like a prophet.

The "boy ghost" you are referring to is called Goumonthong (goldenboy) or baby ghost.

They each have their own distinct name, not sure about "Narak", this might just me a name for some one's Goumonthong.

"Narak "- น่ารัก means "cute" in English.

Goumonthong, has been around for centuries, it is known as a sacred spiritual being and a valuable asset for those that own one, and can be greatly beneficial to the owner. Goumonthong likes to drink red drink, so they worship him with ultra-sweet red Fanta, but back in the days when Fanta didn't exist, what do you think they would have used?

These type of practices are known as Black Magic

Yeah I know mor doo means literally translates as doctor look and means fortune teller but to me they are the equivelent of witch doctors....amulets, charms and all the other junk....naruk does mean lovely in Thai yes....but it is also the name of a boy god or boy spirit or something...he is apparantly a good guy

Why we don’t leave everybody with their dignity.

My wife believes in Buddha but is also a realist.

Sometimes she does merit making but only when there something special going on and she has time more importantly she is not to lazy to get up early.

I go with her sometimes to the temple even so she knows that I don’t really believe in that kind of things.

But as I respect he beliefs and so on so I go with her.

Maybe this happens one time every few months which is not a big thing.

We also have all kind of Buddha images at home and sometimes incents which is fine me and as our house is big enough the space this takes up is not a problem either.

Why would you complain over a lousy 20 Baht for merit making or a few statues in your house.

Be happy that she don’t complains to much when you go out drinking and spends much more then 20 Baht. whistling.gif

Moo Doo - หมอดู is not a "witch doctor"

Moo Phee หมอผี is a (witch doctor)

Moo Doo - หมอดู is a fortune teller, and to some can be considered somewhat like a prophet.

The "boy ghost" you are referring to is called Goumonthong (goldenboy) or baby ghost.

They each have their own distinct name, not sure about "Narak", this might just me a name for some one's Goumonthong.

"Narak "- น่ารัก means "cute" in English.

Goumonthong, has been around for centuries, it is known as a sacred spiritual being and a valuable asset for those that own one, and can be greatly beneficial to the owner. Goumonthong likes to drink red drink, so they worship him with ultra-sweet red Fanta, but back in the days when Fanta didn't exist, what do you think they would have used?

These type of practices are known as Black Magic

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I just got confirmation.You are right..it is guonmonthorng (or however you spell it) but the maid and the missus reckon most thais call him 'narak' as his nickname....they are both now eying me off with suspicion as they both know how i feel about it:D

First you have to understand about Lok Grok to get an idea of where the word Goumonthong originated.

Thai (Lao) people believe, which you might call it having faith in something

Lok Grok is a stillborn baby that is dried up and doesn’t have any smell. It is an item that is being used by means of black magic, it’s made out of full term human baby, fully developed, but is extremely small in size (neonatal baby), and is deceased after birth and often times, both mother and baby died during the birthing process, this is what it’s called Lok Grok. Normally it's placed on a small blanket and in a glass jar at Buddha Mantle. But if one has Lok Grok, then there’s also responsibility involved, such as providing meal(s) at least once or twice a day, and to provide small clothing articles or toys that most children would like.

The main purpose is to please Lok Grok so that it will love you, and you’ll receive many favors in return.

A good story also appears in the work of American writer, William J. Klausner, in the book called “Reflections on Thai Culture.” He was born in New York City in 1929, and has spent more than half of his life in his second home, Thailand. He arrived in Thailand in 1955. The book was first written more than forty years ago, reflecting the more traditional side of Thai culture. It was then translated into Thai language in (1996) by the board of education. Baby ghost, Lok Grok, or Goumonthong (golden boy).

“There’s one type of ghost that helps human, but it’s very disgusting looking, in the olden day, they called it Goumonthong (golden boy) or baby ghost. This type of ghost can be found in Laos or Issan region of Thailand. It’s born from a pregnant mother that died during birthing process.

They’d take this Lok Grok, sprinkle with drying agent, and place over an open flame to help speed the drying process. After this, then they’d perform a traditional ceremony of the making process of Lok Grok by means of black magic. I can truly vouch that it’s the types of ghost that would help the owner to become popular (Sa Nay), and according to the tradition of these regions, not all were good because there’re black magic involved.

The owner of Goumonthong (golden boy) would keep it by his side at all times; it’d protect the owner and warn if there’s any danger near. It’s believed that it could also make the owner invisible, truly remarkable item to have. (not word for word from the book, but translated from this magazine article written in Thai Language) “

That was from back in the day's, having faith or believing in Lok Grok (Lok Lort in Lao) was very common, but it’s rare in this day and age, but still exists. It’ would be very difficult to find the real thing.

What your GF has is the same. Goumonthong, but not human.

Be careful it could get nasty if you’re disrespectful towards her beliefs or other Thai people in general.

I'm surprised the 'post length police' haven't been all over you for this one!

Nice post, very interesting. thumbsup.gif

First you have to understand about Lok Grok to get an idea of where the word Goumonthong originated.

Lok Grok is a stillborn baby that is dried up and doesn’t have any smell. It is an item that is being used by means of black magic, it’s made out of full term human baby, fully developed, but is extremely small in size (neonatal baby), and is deceased after birth and often times, both mother and baby died during the birthing process, this is what it’s called Lok Grok. Normally it's placed on a small blanket and in a glass jar at Buddha Mantle. But if one has Lok Grok, then there’s also responsibility involved, such as providing meal(s) at least once or twice a day, and to provide small clothing articles or toys that most children would like.

The main purpose is to please Lok Grok so that it will love you, and you’ll receive many favors in return.

A good story also appears in the work of American writer, William J. Klausner, in the book called “Reflections on Thai Culture.” He was born in New York City in 1929, and has spent more than half of his life in his second home, Thailand. He arrived in Thailand in 1955. The book was first written more than forty years ago, reflecting the more traditional side of Thai culture. It was then translated into Thai language in (1996) by the board of education. Baby ghost, Lok Grok, or Goumonthong (golden boy).

“There’s one type of ghost that helps human, but it’s very disgusting looking, in the olden day, they called it Goumonthong (golden boy) or baby ghost. This type of ghost can be found in Laos or Issan region of Thailand. It’s born from a pregnant mother that died during birthing process.

They’d take this Lok Grok, sprinkle with drying agent, and place over an open flame to help speed the drying process. After this, then they’d perform a traditional ceremony of the making process of Lok Grok by means of black magic. I can truly vouch that it’s the types of ghost that would help the owner to become popular (Sa Nay), and according to the tradition of these regions, not all were good because there’re black magic involved.

The owner of Goumonthong (golden boy) would keep it by his side at all times; it’d protect the owner and warn if there’s any danger near. It’s believed that it could also make the owner invisible, truly remarkable item to have. (not word for word from the book, but translated from this magazine article written in Thai Language) “

That was from back in the day's, having faith or believing in Lok Grok (Lok Lort in Lao) was very common, but it’s rare in this day and age, but still exists. It’ would be very difficult to find the real thing.

Be careful it could get nasty if you’re disrespectful towards her beliefs or other Thai people in general.

I was picking the kids up from schooltongue.png

The other post was a wall of words. No sentence structure whatsoever and I won't frustrate myself trying to read that.

This post however was interesting and was easy to read due to great punctuation and sentence structure.

Can't disagree with that. Can you?

• Like 1

The other post was a wall of words. No sentence structure whatsoever and I won't frustrate myself trying to read that.

This post however was interesting and was easy to read due to great punctuation and sentence structure.

Can't disagree with that. Can you?

I thought you knew me by now. I can disagree with most things. tongue.png

You criticised the other post for it's length. I pointed out that you can have good long posts and crap short ones, and it would now seem you are agreeing with me are you not?

If you really felt the need to say anything about the other post (baring in mind you are not the only member of the forum and at least one person (me) was happy to read it and didn't struggle with it's lack of punctuation or sentence structure at all) and you genuinely wanted to give advice to the poster, then you should have maybe given those as the reasons, not simply saying "TL DR" which for me comes off as being rather arrogant, as if you think he should change his posting style just to suit you or something.

If you find a post "frustrating" then don't read it, move on. Give me one logical benefit to posting "TL DR" especially when you now admit that it wasn't the length that was the problem at all!

Did you make it to the end of this one OK? tongue.png

This is who i mean...ask your birds about this guy

Hey Snamos if according to advice you receive and you decide to give the whole show the flick over the back fence, please can I have the excavator. Always wanted one of those, is it a real Cat or a cheap Chinese copy, fun to operate in real life too. No interest in the helio, they freak me out.

Back at work yet without dropping by ?

Edited by sportsman69
  • Like 1

Hey Snamos if according to advice you receive and you decide to give the whole show the flick over the back fence, please can I have the excavator. Always wanted one of those, is it a real Cat or a cheap Chinese copy, fun to operate in real life too. No interest in the helio, they freak me out.

Im back to work tomorrow....only a 4 week swing though. All the shit is cheap chinese copis...I might nick it off the cupboard and give it to you as a pressie...see if 'narak' notices hahahaha

appreciate the post, it made very interesting reading........ but I still think its voodoo shit and the missus knows that......I dont try to disrespect the culture but when the smoke from the incence makes my eyes water, the fruit I would prefer to be eating attracts millions of marauding fruit flies and the toys get overwhelming it kinda shits me. I might have to make a spare room out the back if 'Castle Greyskull' from 'He Man' rocks up with 'Skelator' and I start getting the complete sets of 'Star Wars', 'GI Joe' and 'Barbie and Ken' take up too much room on the top of the cupboard.

Im back to work tomorrow....only a 4 week swing though. All the shit is cheap chinese copis...I might nick it off the cupboard and give it to you as a pressie...see if 'narak' notices hahahaha

Thankfully I don't have your problem and yeah that rotting fruit with the fruit flies gets me too. What's the use by date on the yoghurt, still good to go ? Be interesting to see if any of the stuff has pups in your absence. If all else fails you can always call up Mike and Frank from the Pickers they love that sorta stuff. Thanks for your kind offer on the Cat but if it was factory original and because of it's history thought maybe with constant watering it might grow into a full size working machine. 5555

C ya.

SM69 you are spot on! 5555

The way I see it, could be like the 'Nature of the Beast' for some, and the ‘Eye of the Tiger’ for others.

Story has it that its owners can hear the voices of their Goumonthong and sometimes during the night the "boy" runs around the house and "moves things around". It also says the Goumonthong can make their owners aware of any dangers around them, and to actually help to protect them by talking to their owners either through voices, or while sleeping in their dreams. One story mentions the Goumonthong telling her owner that her partner was betraying her, and would also cause great harm for her and her family if she didn’t kill him immedialty. One of the most popular methods “back in those days” was to poison the food sprinkled with a little bit of love and kindness for good measure, then calmly sit back and watch em die.

“Full size working machine” 5555

Good analysis S69

Remember " The main purpose is to please Lok Grok "aka" Goumonthong so that it will love you, and you’ll receive many favors in return"

"Time go eat go eat now" unsure.png

Edited by FlyByNights

Cont.

Just to clarify myself a little, I was commenting to SM69 in reference to his “Full size working machine” , as being in relation to my perception of a real life "Full size working 'human' machine".

I don't want to confuse him and make him think I am talking about the "Cat truck in snamos's picture".

Now that I think about SM69, you might not have been exactly spot on as I first thought you were after reading your post the 2nd time, but your close enough.