Nevada Judge Rules Boxing Camp Floyd Mayweather Must Stay In Jail

News_Editor

Nevada judge rules boxing camp Floyd Mayweather must stay in jail < br />

2012-06-15 00:37:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA (BNO NEWS) -- A Nevada judge on Wednesday ruled that undefeated world boxing camp Floyd Mayweather must remain in jail, denying a request that he be moved to house arrest as a result of what he described as "inhumane conditions" at the facility.

Mayweather, 35, turned himself in to begin serving an 87-day jail sentence on June 1st. He pled guilty in December 2011 to reduced misdemeanor domestic battery and harassment charges stemming from an attack on his ex-girlfriend, which was witnessed by two of their children. The plea deal allowed him to avoid felony charges, which could have sent him to prison for up to 34 years.

Despite having avoided such a lengthy sentence, Mayweather had asked Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa to be released from the Clark County Detention Center due to 'low quality food and water' which he claimed is threatening his health and boxing career. He also complained of being treated differently due to being segregated from the general population, calling the conditions "inhumane."

But Saragosa ruled on Wednesday that the emergency motion seeking house arrest did not meet the criteria for modifying a sentence. "The Court finds the alleged dehydration of the Defendant to be self-induced as water is made available to him twenty-four hours a day," she wrote in her decision. "The Court further finds the estimated intake of only 800 calories per day is also self-induced as Defendant chooses not to eat the food provided."

Saragosa also rejected the claim Mayweather is unable to exercise while in jail, partly because he is being segregated from the general population due to his celebrity status. "The court finds that while the physical training areas and times provided to the Defendant may not be consistent with his prior regimen, he is indeed provided sufficient space and time for physical activity if he so chooses," the judge ruled.

Mayweather's defense attorney Richard Wright had proposed either full-term house arrest or allowing the boxer to serve three days a week in jail and the other days at home. Mayweather, however, lives in a 12,000-square-foot (1,114-square-meter) mansion, where his walk-in closet alone is bigger than his jail cell.

Prosecutor Lisa Luzaich slammed the request during a court hearing on Tuesday. "The defendant's problem is that he doesn't get to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. He has the ability to exercise in his cell, he just chooses not to. He's used to working in a gym," she said. "Well, it's jail. Where did he think he was going? The Four Seasons? He's being punished, that's why he is in jail."

Some had previously criticized the court for delaying Mayweather's reporting date so he could spend Christmas and New Year's with his children. The reporting date was later even further delayed so Mayweather could participate in a Cinco de Mayo weekend fight, for which he was guaranteed $32 million.

Mayweather, a five-division world champion where he has won eight world titles, currently holds the titles of WBC Welterweight Champion and WBA (Super) Light Middleweight Champion. In his professional career, he has won 43 fights and has never lost.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-15

Justice, American style. 87 days for a guilty plea of domestic battery stemming from an attack on his ex girlfriend, witnessed by their two children. Now he is whining that he be moved to house arrest due to low quality food and water, which he claims is threatening his boxing career! His attorney proposed that he spend 3 days a week in jail and the rest of the week at home! Haha. His reporting date for jail was delayed so he could participate in a fight for which he was guaranteed 32 million dollars! Can anyone enlighten me as to what would happen to a guy who lived in a trailer park who beat up his girlfriend in front of their children?

• Like 1

This thug assaults his partner in front of their young children and expects everyone to feel sorry for him because he has to face up to the consequences of his actions. He got a slap on the wrist sentence because he is rich and still whines about it. Clearly he has taken too many blows to the head in the ring. Man's a moron.

• Sad 1

http://boxrec.com/li...d=352&cat=boxer

This thug assaults his partner in front of their young children and expects everyone to feel sorry for him because he has to face up to the consequences of his actions. He got a slap on the wrist sentence because he is rich and still whines about it. Clearly he has taken too many blows to the head in the ring. Man's a moron.

The Guy is a brilliant boxer and hardly takes any blows to his head as his outstanding boxing record shows and IMHO the best defensive boxer in the world today ,however having said all that the guy in his private life is a natural born arshole ,credit given were credit is due ,inside and outside the ring .http://boxrec.com/li...d=352&cat=boxer his record of fighters he beat reads like a who's who ,if only his record in his private life was half as good as he has had a few skirmishe's with the law before ,most likely cos his views on life are so well balanced owing to the fact IMHO he's got a chip on either shoulder smile.png .

Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

I love boxing, and I know it was as corrupt as hell in the past, and it's still not clean now, however stories like this are indefensible. Any boxer jailed for a violent offence should be banned from the ring for life.

People paying money to watch rapists and wife beaters in the ring is sick. The TV companies have to draw a very clear line.

Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather were the best of their generation, but a message has to be sent out, violence against women is unacceptable. Full stop.

I agree, he should be banned from the sport for life. These guy's end up being role models for the countless thousands of young lads who want to be professional boxers and being arrested for rape and violence against women is not really the kind of behavioural examples you need to be instilling in young teenagers.

• Like 1

I love boxing, and I know it was as corrupt as hell in the past, and it's still not clean now, however stories like this are indefensible. Any boxer jailed for a violent offence should be banned from the ring for life.

People paying money to watch rapists and wife beaters in the ring is sick. The TV companies have to draw a very clear line.

Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather were the best of their generation, but a message has to be sent out, violence against women is unacceptable. Full stop.

I agree, he should be banned from the sport for life. These guy's end up being role models for the countless thousands of young lads who want to be professional boxers and being arrested for rape and violence against women is not really the kind of behavioural examples you need to be instilling in young teenagers.

Sorry Jim , I do not agree, the guy has done nothing inside the ring to earn a life time ban , he is now being punished for what he did outside of it ,sure he's an arsehol_e , but inside the ring he's a true artist ,I've never heard of truck driver losing his licence for beating his old lady up have you? ,and by the way there is a chasm in between rape and domestic violence which is an everyday occurrence In every Country you care to mention ,and in some Country's they even have TV programmes on how to beat your missus "humanly" smile.png

Sorry Jim , I do not agree, the guy has done nothing inside the ring to earn a life time ban , he is now being punished for what he did outside of it ,sure he's an arsehol_e , but inside the ring he's a true artist ,I've never heard of truck driver losing his licence for beating his old lady up have you? ,and by the way there is a chasm in between rape and domestic violence which is an everyday occurrence In every Country you care to mention ,and in some Country's they even have TV programmes on how to beat your missus "humanly" smile.png

True, but truck drivers don't get paid 32 million for an hours work and inspire young lads in all the boxing gyms in the country to be 'just like them'. It may be harsh but I honestly feel these sporting mega stars have a real responsibility in the way they conduct themselves. They really do influence the lives of young people.

True, but truck drivers don't get paid 32 million for an hours work and inspire young lads in all the boxing gyms in the country to be 'just like them'. It may be harsh but I honestly feel these sporting mega stars have a real responsibility in the way they conduct themselves. They really do influence the lives of young people.

...and then there is Hollywood and the entertainment industry.whistling.gif

The Guy is a brilliant boxer and hardly takes any blows to his head as his outstanding boxing record shows and IMHO the best defensive boxer in the world today ,however having said all that the guy in his private life is a natural born arshole ,credit given were credit is due ,inside and outside the ring .http://boxrec.com/li...d=352&cat=boxer his record of fighters he beat reads like a who's who ,if only his record in his private life was half as good as he has had a few skirmishe's with the law before ,most likely cos his views on life are so well balanced owing to the fact IMHO he's got a chip on either shoulder smile.png .

If he has a chip on both shoulders, does that mean he is well balanced?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I would like to see him get "tough" in mixed martial arts such as the UFC........He will take a few head hits there.rolleyes.gif

I would like to see him get "tough" in mixed martial arts such as the UFC........He will take a few head hits there.rolleyes.gif

Horse's for Courses me old Son ,Horses for Courses , No doubt Usain Bolt would leave him for dead when Mayweather does his road work ,what does that prove?thumbsup.gif

I don't agree with you Colin, these men are licensed perpetrators of violence, they are professionals, and they must show self control.

When you take on that professional licence you take on the responsibilities that come with it. I'm not asking these guys to become angels, these guys will find themselves being targeted by headcases and so called hard men who will have a pop at them, and try to make a name for themselves.

There is a world of difference between a nightclub scrap and raping a young woman in the back of a car. Just the same as there is no excuse for a trained boxer to walk into a woman's home and punch the head off her in front of the kids.

Zero tolerance is the only approach.

Blether , I have truly lost count on how many boxers have emerged from prison after doing long sentences for offences far more serious than domestic violence and then became world Champions ,it not just boxers its any one such as entertainers /politicians who are in the public limelight too who should set an example but fall way way short of "acceptable behavior" , why just pick on Boxers?, here is an interesting link which is just the tip of the iceberg as to boxers names who have not trod the straight and narrow http://e-newssports.com/2012/06/money-cant-save-floyd-mayweather-from-beginning-his-jail-sentence.html

Blether , I have truly lost count on how many boxers have emerged from prison after doing long sentences for offences far more serious than domestic violence and then became world Champions ,it not just boxers its any one such as entertainers /politicians who are in the public limelight too who should set an example but fall way way short of "acceptable behavior" , why just pick on Boxers?, here is an interesting link which is just the tip of the iceberg as to boxers names who have not trod the straight and narrow http://e-newssports....l-sentence.html

I'm not going along with you on this one Colin, there was a world of difference from seeing Mike Tyson move from being a juvenile delinquent onto being a World Champion........that's the means streets story come true and at that point he should be applauded.

He then chose to rape that girl.......at that point it's all over, at that point he's nothing more than scum, and at that point the boxing world should have walked away.

We can all tell the difference between delinquency and depravity. I pointed out that I don't expect these men to go through their lives as angels, they will find themselves in difficult situations at times, however violence against women by professional boxers should be the end of their careers.

It's as simple as that.

Blether , I have truly lost count on how many boxers have emerged from prison after doing long sentences for offences far more serious than domestic violence and then became world Champions ,it not just boxers its any one such as entertainers /politicians who are in the public limelight too who should set an example but fall way way short of "acceptable behavior" , why just pick on Boxers?, here is an interesting link which is just the tip of the iceberg as to boxers names who have not trod the straight and narrow http://e-newssports....l-sentence.html

I'm not going along with you on this one Colin, there was a world of difference from seeing Mike Tyson move from being a juvenile delinquent onto being a World Champion........that's the means streets story come true and at that point he should be applauded.

He then chose to rape that girl.......at that point it's all over, at that point he's nothing more than scum, and at that point the boxing world should have walked away.

We can all tell the difference between delinquency and depravity. I pointed out that I don't expect these men to go through their lives as angels, they will find themselves in difficult situations at times, however violence against women by professional boxers should be the end of their careers.

It's as simple as that.

OK Blether thats your point of view and I respect it ,however most men are basically stronger than their spouses ,does that mean on finding out their wife is "playing around" and they give their wifes a few belts that they are "scum" there must be millions of Scum in this world past and present if one goes by that criteria , and you do not have to be a boxer to deliver a knock out blow . Edited by Colin Yai

It's as simple as that.

OK Blether thats your point of view and I respect it ,however most men are basically stronger than their spouses ,does that mean on finding out their wife is "playing around" and they give their wifes a few belts that they are "scum" there must be millions of Scum in this world past and present if one goes by that criteria

I specifically referred to the rapist Mike Tyson as scum.

I'm not going to get involved in the whole domestic violence debate, I know things are often what they seem.

Equally I'm not backing down on my view that professional fighters should be banned for life for violence against women.

ps......I own a flooring company, one of my contracts is with a refuge for battered women. I've seen what happens when a few slaps goes OTT.

Edited by theblether

Can't agree with this as while it sounds nice it leads to a system of double punishment for selected individuals. Why should he lose his livelyhood just because he is an athlete while Joe the Plumber does his time and then gets to go back to work?

Can't agree with this as while it sounds nice it leads to a system of double punishment for selected individuals. Why should he lose his livelyhood just because he is an athlete while Joe the Plumber does his time and then gets to go back to work?

Because he's a licensed boxer......he has a license to inflict violence. This concept of double punishment is not exclusive to that profession, all over the world teachers, doctors, nurses, policemen etc are held to a higher standard than the criminal code.

Professional responsibility does not come alone.

Because he's a licensed boxer......he has a license to inflict violence. This concept of double punishment is not exclusive to that profession, all over the world teachers, doctors, nurses, policemen etc are held to a higher standard than the criminal code.

Professional responsibility does not come alone.

The crime is not related to his profession and he is not in a position of public trust, where you can argue such measures are required.

Also in this case you would very likely and perversely, be punishing the victim as her no doubt multi dinero alimony and child support payments would vanish along with his career.

Justice, American style. 87 days for a guilty plea of domestic battery stemming from an attack on his ex girlfriend, witnessed by their two children. Now he is whining that he be moved to house arrest due to low quality food and water, which he claims is threatening his boxing career! His attorney proposed that he spend 3 days a week in jail and the rest of the week at home! Haha. His reporting date for jail was delayed so he could participate in a fight for which he was guaranteed 32 million dollars! Can anyone enlighten me as to what would happen to a guy who lived in a trailer park who beat up his girlfriend in front of their children?

Justice worldwide for any with money i would think

But Joe the Plumber is not paid 32 million dollars by an adoring fan base and sponsors for an hours work. So many young people look up to guys like this. I am sure that if Becks beat up Posh in front of their, boys you would think that in the future he had little right to continue working as a UN Ambassador for sport and I doubt you would rush along to watch him at any matches if soccer was your thing. Just sayin!

Edited by GentlemanJim

But Joe the Plumber is not paid 32 million dollars by an adoring fan base and sponsors for an hours work. So many young people look up to guys like this. I am sure that if Becks beat up Posh in front of their, boys you would think that in the future he had little right to continue working as a UN Ambassador for sport and I doubt you would rush along to watch him at any matches if soccer was your thing. Just sayin!

if that were the case then it would sort itself out without any draconian regulation.The fact that he did get paid and likely will again shows the fans largely don't care and sponsors will make their own decisions.

Don't here any groundswell for Tiger to be booted from the PGA or Nalbandian to be kicked of the ATP.

Beck's position as some sort of public ambassador is a different role and has different rules. If he beat up Posh, he like a multitude of other sportsmen would still be rewarded for his skill on the field.

if that were the case then it would sort itself out without any draconian regulation.The fact that he did get paid and likely will again shows the fans largely don't care and sponsors will make their own decisions.

Don't here any groundswell for Tiger to be booted from the PGA or Nalbandian to be kicked of the ATP.

Beck's position as some sort of public ambassador is a different role and has different rules. If he beat up Posh, he like a multitude of other sportsmen would still be rewarded for his skill on the field.

Your misunderstanding the licence aspect of this, he has to be licensed to be a professional boxer, we recently had two British boxers banned for brawling with each other, they are now going ahead with a bout next month using a Luxembourg licence.

That's all wrong, these promoters go shopping about to find compliant associations and commissions. If they are banned by their home association they should be banned worldwide.

In my opinion being convicted of violence against women is a banning offence. When they stoop to that they have given up the right to a career.

At the end of the day we all have an opinion and this subject would make an excellent Sunday afternoon in the pub over a pint kind of discussion. As you rightly suggest, in the absence of any rules to the contrary, we can vote with our feet, or wallet I guess. I just won't watch him again as for me his actions have taken the magic away. He was /is superb but I would always wonder when he swings his right if thats how he hit his missus ;) I don't particularly like Tiger for what he did but infidelity is on a completely different scale for me than violence against women. Funny I know, as one hits the woman physically and the other psychologically and both normally have the same effect...broken marriages, but there is just something wrong when a man (and not forgetting a professional fighter) beats up a woman.