Malls/shopping Centres In Hua Hin...

The Mask

Not in the Western sense of 'shopping mall,' and not like you'd find, for example, in Chiang Mai (at Central Kad Kaew or Airport Plaza).

The new Lotus-Tesco complex may be somewhat of a mall, but we don't know yet.

The pathethic congregation of stores near the central intersection of town is not a mall.

The new mall will apparently have alot more than just a Tesco Lotus (calling itself Hua Hin Market Village) including Home Pro, the most advanced Major Cineplex(s) and bowling center in Thailand, plus scores of mixed high end brand and retail shops, as well as local products and you name it. Already in town there's the new Index Living mall, Luxury Furniture store and more recognised chains popping up all the time (Watsons, Starbucks etc, etc). Hua Hin seems to resist chains as such and they're made to 'blend' in rather than 'stick out' it appears (thankfully) :D

The comment may not be "where to shop" in the near future, rather, "are there too many shops?!" and hopefully the local mom n pop stores will continue to be supported as well. This being Hua hin, they probably will for the most part but some traditional small grocers etc, will likely continue to sell their shops on to new retail outfits. Still, Hua Hin has arguably retained it's charm and long may it continue.

If you look at the design of say, the new Sailom Pavillion or even Hua Hin Market Village, it appears they're trying to retain a boutique feel in these designs, despite the obvious whopping size of the Market Village for one (the so called Tesco Mall) nearing completion.

Sign of the times? there's a huge sign on a development saying something along the lines of "Hua Hin, Thailand's Riviera" complete with an open deck truck, running around town, blaring spanish themed music, with spanish costumed dancers, marketing the project :D While there's no doubt HH (with all it has to offer and proximity to Bkk) will become THE place to vacation or retire in Thailand, Mallorca type hype seems embarrasingly out of place here. One hopes this type of marketing isn't the thin edge of the wedge... This is Hua Hin, not Mallorca :o

I've read the gov't wants to develop the "Thai Riviera" all the way down past Chumpon.

It makes sense (at least to them):

Pattaya coast is industrial and polluted plus unsavoury reputation

Andaman Coast still says "tsunami" to large numbers of people

Tsunami can also happen again next week.

Gulf coast has miles of unspoiled beaches

Still some traditional elements of Thai coastal life

Easy access from BKK etc etc.

May be quite a ride over the next 20 years.

I'm all for the free market, just somewhat protective of preserving Hua Hin's charm.

It's unnnecesary to hype Hua Hin as "Thailand's Riveria" in my humble opinion (it's also unnnecesary to factor extremely rare natural tragedies like a tsunami) :o Anyone looking at the market in HH knows it's easily the best value comparitive to any resort area in Thailand (or Spain, or Mexico, or;). Also, when factoring lifestyle, heritage, golf, dining, overall charm and proximity to Bkk, nothing compares. Point is, Hua Hin has it all and doesn't need to lower itself to hokey marketing themes.

The new mall and shops only enhance the lifestyle on offer, hopefully balanced and won't detract in the future. I used to live in West Vancouver, Canada. It started as a quaint seaside 'village' close to downtown but far enough away. As more and more developments and people moved in, they quickly made an ordinance, to keep the 'look/feel'. For example- requiring all signage on stores to be restricted to a small size and flush with the exterior (no, in your face signage etc). Plus no signs on sidewalks, etc, etc. What you have (to this day) is what appears as a quaint seaside town but there's every chain hidden there as you can imagine. Eg: Mcdonalds is there but it's in an old storefront with the tiniest Mc'd's sign possibly in the world.

Hua Hin will continue to develop and that's as it should be, I'd just like to see HH continue to develop in similar fashion and with understated style, that's all :D

Phuket offers very good shoping with Phuket shopping mall, Robinson 2 locations, lotus complex,

Big C supercenter , central festival Mall (it's huge) and newly open jungceylon mall .....pluse many

small shopping centers around

Also Chatuchak Phuket offer more bargain....

I can give Phuket higher ranking than chaing mai for shopping malls, though CM is cheaper

Don't have much infos about pattaya for shopping

I'm all for the free market, just somewhat protective of preserving Hua Hin's charm.

It's unnnecesary to hype Hua Hin as "Thailand's Riveria" in my humble opinion (it's also unnnecesary to factor extremely rare natural tragedies like a tsunami) :o Anyone looking at the market in HH knows it's easily the best value comparitive to any resort area in Thailand (or Spain, or Mexico, or;). Also, when factoring lifestyle, heritage, golf, dining, overall charm and proximity to Bkk, nothing compares. Point is, Hua Hin has it all and doesn't need to lower itself to hokey marketing themes.

The new mall and shops only enhance the lifestyle on offer, hopefully balanced and won't detract in the future. I used to live in West Vancouver, Canada. It started as a quaint seaside 'village' close to downtown but far enough away. As more and more developments and people moved in, they quickly made an ordinance, to keep the 'look/feel'. For example- requiring all signage on stores to be restricted to a small size and flush with the exterior (no, in your face signage etc). Plus no signs on sidewalks, etc, etc. What you have (to this day) is what appears as a quaint seaside town but there's every chain hidden there as you can imagine. Eg: Mcdonalds is there but it's in an old storefront with the tiniest Mc'd's sign possibly in the world.

Hua Hin will continue to develop and that's as it should be, I'd just like to see HH continue to develop in similar fashion and with understated style, that's all :D

I'm with you on that.

But I think when certain interests smell big money (as in Koh Chang) look out.

I agree its not necessary to type it as the Thai Riviera but that's the way certain interests are already starting to hype it.

I'm PMing you.