International Atm Withdrawals

In the last 2 weeks I have withdrawn 10,000 baht from my Australian bank using a Bangkok Bank ATM

and a Krung Thai machine.

Using the BB ATM cost me 150 baht+ $A15 charges. With the KT there was the 150 baht but the charge by my Aussie bank was only $A5, a difference of B300. The withdrawal amounts deducted from my Aussie account were different by one dollar $A333 & $A332 (plus the bank charges).

Printed on the KB receipt it said: YOU HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO USE THE MASTERCARD CURRENCY

CONVERSION PROCESS AND AGREE THAT I WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE AGAINST MC CONCERNING ANY MATTER RELATED TO THE CURRENCY CONVERSION OR ITS DISCLOSURE. I cannot remember pressing any button to agree to that.

With the Krung Thai ATM, I could not see an English language button, whereas the Bangkok Bank English

button was plain to see. I can read some Thai so that did not bother me. Furthermore, the BB machine gave me crisp new notes, but the KT gave me old grubby ones.

If you do not read Thai, the BB is probably preferable. If you read Thai you might save $A10 (baht300).

Any similar experiences or comments?

Avoid the hassle, misinterpretation and cost, just go in the bank with your passport and have them do it manually dont use the ATM. Ideal for larger amounts and less often. works like a charm.

Avoid the hassle, misinterpretation and cost, just go in the bank with your passport and have them do it manually dont use the ATM. Ideal for larger amounts and less often. works like a charm

Thanks for the tip

I use my commonwealth bank issued, master card debit card.(australian). What ive discovered is when using a Thai atm, is when it asks which account I want to use press credit and I dont get any overseas atm fee which is approx 10$. So all I get charged is the 150b fee. Its also a pretty good rate so works well!

I use my commonwealth bank issued, master card debit card.(australian). What ive discovered is when using a Thai atm, is when it asks which account I want to use press credit and I dont get any overseas atm fee which is approx 10$. So all I get charged is the 150b fee. Its also a pretty good rate so works well!

Here's what the ToA for the debit card says:

post-55970-0-40014300-1339906026_thumb.j

I use my metro bank card in an Aeon machine ,no charges whatsoever and also get a better tt rate than any other bank.

concur... 30,000b limit per day

just tried to get 30k no joy ,so i rang metro ,i was informed that the limit was 300 pounds per day no exeptions ,you have to go into your thai bank and get any more over the counter

I use my metro bank card in an Aeon machine ,no charges whatsoever and also get a better tt rate than any other bank.

just tried to get 30k no joy ,so i rang metro ,i was informed that the limit was 300 pounds per day no exeptions ,you have to go into your thai bank and get any more over the counter

That 300 pound per day limit is set by the card's issuing bank (i.e., your home country bank); not the ATM.

That 300 pound per day limit is set by the card's issuing bank (i.e., your home country bank); not the ATM.

I know thats why i said"i rang my bank"thumbsup.gif

I just received a replacement debit card from my bank in the UK and all the additional charges for international use (ATMs, purchases, etc) are explained in the supporting documentation with the new card...plus daily withdrawal limits and etc....nice to have as I can make large purchases, pay for hotels, etc., if I'm low on funds elsewhere...

someone correct me if I'm wrong but debit card international charges are the same as credit card charges including ridiculous exchange rates and etc?

check it out as many times this info is simply discarded as 'snail mail spam' with yer new debit card...you should be able to contact yer bank and obtain a comprehensive list of all the additional international charges that apply on their end...and then there are the local Thailand 'ATM usage fees' to consider, the thb150 and etc...

just better to get a thai bank account if that's possible and transfer money as required...and use the western debit card as an emergency backup...I've even forgotten my UK debit card PIN number (lessee, I got it here somewhere...)

someone correct me if I'm wrong but debit card international charges are the same as credit card charges including ridiculous exchange rates and etc?

From what I've seen among various banks/credit unions the foreign transaction fees for Bank XYZ credit or debit cards seem to be at least very similar, but I wouldn't say the same in all cases. Always best to read the terms of agreement like you did. Regarding the exchange rates, credit/debit cards will use the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate but with an associated "percentage" fee and/or an additional flat fee which effectively gives a lower exchange rate when a person considers the total charge to his accounts. Heck, even Visa/Mastercard apply a 1% foreign transaction fee but it up to the bank/credit union whether they absorb that fee or pass it along to you. So, if your bank is charging you a total 3% foreign transaction fee, 1% of that is Visa/Mastercard's and the other 2% your bank's add-on fee....but the end result is it a 3% fee out of your pocket. And for those folks with no foreign tranaction fee cards, then your bank is absorbing the Visa/Mastercard 1% fee and also not adding on additional fees....fewer of those cards everyday but they are still out there with the less evil bank/credit unions.