Tipping In Phuket

snamos

When Im out drinking in the bars I normally have at least 2 or 3 drinks in each bar...normally i leave a 20 baht tip.

Petrol station attendendants get 10 baht per fill whether its a car or bike, (they are probably that high on petrol fumes they wouldnt notice though)....when I go to Thai/isaarn style restaurants or western cafes its normally 20 baht.

When Im out at some of the nicer joints like Mom Tris or Catch beach they have a 10% service charge but I normally throw in 50-100 and get my friends to do the same.....

How does everyone else tip here in Phuket?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally round up.

For example, If the bill is 560 baht, I round it up to 600.

I feel tighter than a Jewish drum when bills are 80 or 90 so I throw in another 20.

I hate service charges. So I never tip at a place that hits me with it because its nothing more than a forced tip. I should choose if the service was good enough to warrant 10%, not them.

• Like 1

Roughly 10%, except when there is a service charge. I'm loathe to tip at petrol stations after, a couple of months ago, I was 'got' at the local servo (B200 for half a tank in my m/c, which only takes around B160 when bone dry).

Interesting OP though - I think the tipping business is more or less expected in the tourist destinations due to the influence of American culture (not knocking the US, just stating a viepoint). It seems to me that many Thai service industry folk think those who don't tip are (oops) 'kee niaow'.

Depends on how badly I think the worker is paid.

The petrol station I always let them keep the change - although I ensure it is only a few baht, not 20...

I rarely go to bars, but on the odd occasion it depends on how much I've spent and how attentive they were. Taking a tourist friend to a local, popular, 'on the beach' restaurant one lunch time - they pretty much ignored two Western females, whilst being v attentive to the male tourists. So, I left no tip.

Its just a shame that its impossible to tip the local Tesco check-out staff that, I generally find v good.

Roughly 10%, except when there is a service charge. I'm loathe to tip at petrol stations after, a couple of months ago, I was 'got' at the local servo (B200 for half a tank in my m/c, which only takes around B160 when bone dry).

Interesting OP though - I think the tipping business is more or less expected in the tourist destinations due to the influence of American culture (not knocking the US, just stating a viepoint). It seems to me that many Thai service industry folk think those who don't tip are (oops) 'kee niaow'.

Who cares? We pay for service and if they don't provide a good service? We are unlikely to see them again, so why tip?

Your petrol station comment brought back bad memories though... I was charged 140 bht for filling my scooter and kicked up a fuss, believing that the attendant had not turned the meter off after the last customer.. Eventually, I gave up as it wasn't worth the effort - it was only later I realised that the price of petrol had increased ...

Mind you, 200 bht was way OTT - just pay more attention in future.

I hate service charges. So I never tip at a place that hits me with it because its nothing more than a forced tip. I should choose if the service was good enough to warrant 10%, not them.

I agree with that sentiment, but does that service charge always go to the staff? You may be punishing the low paid workers for the owners greed.

Now, I rarely tip at all. Low paid workers remain low paid because 'we' increase their salary instead of the employer, which should be the case.

Life isn't equal, and if people want well paid jobs, they should realise this and work / study accordingly. Sorry, but if you live in the pond, then I've my own family to worry about, not yours.

I had a seminal moment about a year ago. Watching the football in a bar, I ordered some simple food, basically a snack to chew on during the match. Before I even tasted it, before I even asked for 'check bill', she said, "You give me tip?".

Many Thais seem to think that tips are a 'right', and they don't equate a tip with the level of service provision. And since service rarely exceeds my expectations, then my tips are rare, too.

In over 10 years here never heard of tipping the gas station attendance, how many people tip the girls on the tills at big C, tesco's, family marts and 7/11's, i bet not one, so whats the obligation to tip else where.

The OP say if in a nice place he'll tip quite well and get his friends to do the same, i should have thought it would be the opposite, the more simpler the place with a great service deserves the better reward.

not that ever do, you go on a pub crawl, 1 beer in every bar at 60-80baht, do you tip 20 baht every bar, how many go drinking in there native countries and leave tips between 5-15 pound per person, if there's 10-20 people out that's a lot of tips. it might only be 200-300baht tips all night per person, over a month then the year, wow it all adds up, even if you just socialize a few time a month.

Tipping should be up to the individual, strange leave a big tip and the girls are all sweetness and light, nothing and i've seen them quite abusive, but the mad thing is the person has just spent a fortune in there premises mostly on drink.

Can i ask, how many members have ever tipped a beggar????? and how often and what was the money giving in relation to there weekly or monthly income. agreed there not getting a service, but who's the more needy.

If i don't tip i'm cheap charlie, am i the same cheap charlie if i give money to more needy people via charity's every month. "always interesting that debate"

Now, I rarely tip at all. Low paid workers remain low paid because 'we' increase their salary instead of the employer, which should be the case.

Life isn't equal, and if people want well paid jobs, they should realise this and work / study accordingly. Sorry, but if you live in the pond, then I've my own family to worry about, not yours.

I had a seminal moment about a year ago. Watching the football in a bar, I ordered some simple food, basically a snack to chew on during the match. Before I even tasted it, before I even asked for 'check bill', she said, "You give me tip?".

Many Thais seem to think that tips are a 'right', and they don't equate a tip with the level of service provision. And since service rarely exceeds my expectations, then my tips are rare, too.

That all reads as code for " I'm a tight bast@rd" to me. tongue.png

Blaming one rude girl a year ago is a cop out IMO and if you rarely get service worth tipping you are eating in the wrong places.

If you can't afford to tip waiters and taxi drivers etc, then you can't afford to eat in restaurants and take cabs IMO.

I was always suspect on the service charge going to the workers....missus used to work at one of the bigger hotels up your way...also her sister and sisters best friend worked at different hotels around the laguna area...one was in marketing and one was a supervisor in the laundry dept....the friend i cant remember what dept she worked. But the service charge is normally 8-10000 in most of the hotels and is paid on the 15 th of the month.....didnt you notice all the police checkpoints yesterday? If i know..... then the fuzz definately know when the cash is paid out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

One of the things I like about living here is that I can tip those that I feel gave me good service, or an extra smile, or advice without me asking.

And I can tip them whatever I want.

I hate going back to the states where everyone now expects a 20% tip whether they treat you right or not.

It's not what it's supposed to be about IMO.

I worked my whole life and probably got less than $300 in tips in the past 30 years.

Yeah, like $9 a year sounds about right.

But yeah, I've tipped the gas station attendants (and gotten ripped off at them too already)

I've tipped the beggars many times here but never will in the states. (they don't know how hard life can be)

I usually tip buskers, if they are good. If they are blind or crippled, then almost always.

Usually 20 baht for a meal or drink.

Up to me. (that's the good part)

When they have 10% service charge zero tip.

Does that mean if there is no service charge you only give a 10% tip?

I normally give around 20/25% if service and food were good.

If the service is poor then zero. If it is good maybe more than 10% I do not like giving a tip if one is already factored into the final price.

I tip rarely. Restaurants almost never.

If the service exceeds my expectations I'm happy to give a tip. After the hard rain I run out of water (and the water collection system was not functioning well). The water guy comes with his 10 wheeler, tries to get on top of the hill for some time.. but failed. I told him that it's fine , I can fix my water system and just use the rain water.

He came back in couple of days when the road was dried a bit with scooter and asked if I still wish to have the water.I was happy that he came back. After that he came back with the truck .. and could not get it up to the hill. Good try.

The next day he did not ask anything, just came back and get the truck all the way up and filled my tanks. That is dedication which deserves a good tip. I'm pretty sure that he did not this for the possibility of an tip, but because he new that I need the water. These are the people who keep me still on this island while I'm thinking of moving somewhere else.

In case of petrol stations also normally do not tip. The guys are doing their work and get paid for it. If the tank gets full and there is few bath difference I don't mind for it. But in some cases if there has been 'accidentally lack of change' I sometimes ask for the receipt with my change. This is to tell not to try that trick again, my tips are my own decisions - not yours.

Depends on how badly I think the worker is paid.

The petrol station I always let them keep the change - although I ensure it is only a few baht, not 20...

I rarely go to bars, but on the odd occasion it depends on how much I've spent and how attentive they were. Taking a tourist friend to a local, popular, 'on the beach' restaurant one lunch time - they pretty much ignored two Western females, whilst being v attentive to the male tourists. So, I left no tip.

Its just a shame that its impossible to tip the local Tesco check-out staff that, I generally find v good.

hmm?

Shell station next to victory monument advertises @ 400baht per day to pump gas.

That's a pretty good salary.

I agree with that sentiment, but does that service charge always go to the staff? You may be punishing the low paid workers for the owners greed.

Unfortunately no, that service charge is simply a hidden price and goes directly to the owner, so should IMO have no bearing on the tip.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

Unfortunately no, that service charge is simply a hidden price and goes directly to the owner, so should IMO have no bearing on the tip.

Not always true.

It gets collected and distributed evenly amongst the entire staff from the gardeners to management. A friend gets a base salary of 14k but gets a further 11-13 k a month in service charge in high season. So roughly 25k a month.

When I used the word evenly, I varies at different hotels.

I totally agree that the vast majority of the time the staff won't see that money and that it shouldn't stop you tipping. I just see the 10% service charge as the price of the food. A 100 baht dish just becomes a 110 baht dish and the tip is something separate all together.

I think it's just another cop out for tight people. Jeez I hate tight people. bah.gif

So who's fault is that and who is punishing the staff if they do not get the forced 10% service charge?? It is definitely not the customer's responsibilty!

Also, most of the places that are plus-plus, ie a further 7% and another 10% added on, are usually overpriced places catering to farangs or tourists anyways.

As far as I'm concerned if I've already paid 10% plus tax on that tip (or is it the other way around?), then I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying if the owner is holding back on his staff and I'm definitely not going to justify the greed by leaving any additional tip on top that the owner will also keep for himself. That is just crazy.

If it was up to me I will leave my own tip that would go straight into the pockets of the staff who served me.

I totally agree that the vast majority of the time the staff won't see that money and that it shouldn't stop you tipping. I just see the 10% service charge as the price of the food. A 100 baht dish just becomes a 110 baht dish and the tip is something separate all together.

I think it's just another cop out for tight people. Jeez I hate tight people. bah.gif

First off, I havent agreed with anything you've said in thsi thread so far. You may see yourself as a shining knight dropping big tips on bills and thinking you are helping out the down trodden but if the owner is keeping the service charge then chances are they will keep the extra tip you leave too so you are just encouraging and allowing greed.

I don't consider it tight when you are in a position that you cannot do right for doing wrong. If a 10% service charge is added on then you have done your bit. End of.

The problem is that this plus-plus system is mainly used as a way to advertise cheaper prices, not to account for your tip.

Not always true.

It gets collected and distributed evenly amongst the entire staff from the gardeners to management. A friend gets a base salary of 14k but gets a further 11-13 k a month in service charge in high season. So roughly 25k a month.

When I used the word evenly, I varies at different hotels.

Must be a high rolling place, paying 14K per month to a waitress.

The problem is that this plus-plus system is mainly used as a way to advertise cheaper prices, not to account for your tip.

Now that's right, so total price is including plus plus, so a good reason not to let that affect your tip, and tip the service as you otherwise would.

@stevenl

Where did I say waitress? Lost me there Steven.

Hotel admin that works at a place that charges 10% service charge. It goes to the staff.

We are talking here about service staff, not admin staff, so it seemed reasonable to presume also you were talking service staff. But I'm glad you know somebody in the one place on the island where the service staff gets at least a part of the money meant exclusively for them in stead of nothing. The 10% should be for the service staff exclusively. So this a fine example where money meant for service goes to non-service. The owner should pay his admin staff more.

Edited by stevenl

And I don't like people who over-tip (20-25% was it?) - perpetuating the belief that all farangs are rich idiots bah.gif .

Ah Mr phooey, generous to the core, i donate quite a bit of money directly to charity, it's certainly a large sum, but hate tipping, where does that leave me in the "i hate tight people " ratings, it's certainly a strong statement to hate people that don't have your monitory tipping beliefs, you just keep talking about eating and drinking when tipping, anywhere else????, i think you should live in a hotel, you could walk around tipping all day, i always find people that are opinionated about tipping are normally the tightest ones, Jeez i hate opinionated people bah.gif

• Like 1

Ah Mr phooey, generous to the core, i donate quite a bit of money directly to charity, it's certainly a large sum, but hate tipping, where does that leave me in the "i hate tight people " ratings, it's certainly a strong statement to hate people that don't have your monitory tipping beliefs, you just keep talking about eating and drinking when tipping, anywhere else????, i think you should live in a hotel, you could walk around tipping all day, i always find people that are opinionated about tipping are normally the tightest ones, Jeez i hate opinionated people bah.gif

Well said britpop.