Drinking Water Machine

tombkk

We have a new machine for drinking water in the office. It kind of condenses the water in the air and therefore "produces" up to 30 liters of water per day. There are some gadgets that add minerals and stuff (I don't know exactly what), and those apparently have to be refilled or exchanged only every couple of months.

Have you ever heard of this? Is this healthy?

Yes, believe it or not ... it's the real deal.

When I was working for the Government I put together two 'Innovation Houses'.

One based on 'Technology' and a later one based on the 'Environment and Technology'.

The second home, built about 5 or 6 years ago have the machine you described.

Here is their 'Fact Sheet' from the home.

'Water from Air' Brochure

The moisture in the air is cooled, condenses and is trapped, sometimes purified and filtered and then for us to drink.

Sort of the same principle as your Air-Conditioner 'making' a small amount of water.

Thanks, David48. Since the condensed water is actually distilled water and not good for human consumption, they add some minerals. What do they add, do you know that?

I am wondering why relief organisations fly in drinking water and bring water purifying machines to disaster zones, if water can be won from air so easily. The machine we have comes with a very low monthly rental fee and no investment from our side, so it can't be expensive to use it in disaster situations.

Thanks, David48. Since the condensed water is actually distilled water and not good for human consumption, they add some minerals. What do they add, do you know that?

I am wondering why relief organisations fly in drinking water and bring water purifying machines to disaster zones, if water can be won from air so easily. The machine we have comes with a very low monthly rental fee and no investment from our side, so it can't be expensive to use it in disaster situations.

Maybe because they provide only limited amount of water. Just imagine if it is in a dry (air) area.

Maybe because they provide only limited amount of water. Just imagine if it is in a dry (air) area.

I was thinking of Haiti and Pakistan. No lack of humidity in the air there.

Yes but up to 30 liters.. that is really not much in a crisis situation. I am sure there are good reasons why these machines are not used there. Just imagine the amount of machines you then need.

Yes but up to 30 liters.. that is really not much in a crisis situation. I am sure there are good reasons why these machines are not used there. Just imagine the amount of machines you then need.

I think Tom is talking about the process used.The machine he's talking about is for office use,but imagine using the same process in much bigger machines.

The small machine we have in the office produces 30 liters a day. How about bigger machines in non-A/C environments? Multiple machines? How much water can you actually produce from thin air?

I think Tom is talking about the process used.The machine he's talking about is for office use,but imagine using the same process in much bigger machines.

Yes, you got it.

It might work but maybe the size increase would make it unpractical. If 120 liters means 4 times as big..

I dont know that much about it, just guessing here so if others know it better then please tell me im now interested too.