Irrigation Dept Confident Of No Mega Flood If Rainfall Normal

Lite Beer

Irrigation Dept confident of no mega flood if rainfall normal

image_20120617114853F8C5ABA5-0568-DCFF-4517FA16A99B6F2C.jpg

BANGKOK, June 17 – There is no risk of a mega flood this year if the rainfall level is normal, according to a meteorological department forecast, while two major dams will not overflow, said a senior official of the Royal Irrigation Department.

Mr Suthep Noipairoj, Deputy Director General of the Royal Irrigation Department, affirmed that the two major dams - the Bhumibol dam and the Sirikit dam – are capable of retaining more water and that reserve water is adequate for crop cultivation in the central region.

However, he conceded that low-lying areas in Ayutthaya and Ang Thong are likely to be submerged as is a normal occurrence every year.

Nevertheless, residential, commercial zones and industrial estates will be safe from flooding, he added.

Meanwhile, farmers in Phitsanulok have reinforced sand embankments to protect paddy fields from floods originating from upstream North after northern run-off started overflowing some areas.

Farmers in Baan Krang sub-district filled sandbags to build temporary dykes to protect 3,200 acres of paddy fields nearly ready for harvest.

As rain continues and some rice paddies have been flooded, farmers asked the provincial royal irrigation to speed up dredging of two canals and a river to drain flood water into waterways flowing into the Yom River. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-17

BANGKOK, June 17 – There is no risk of a mega flood this year if the rainfall level is normal, according to a meteorological department forecast, while two major dams will not overflow, said a senior official of the Royal Irrigation Department.

Brilliant

jb1

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

There wouldn't have been a "mega-flood" last year if the rainfall had been normal.

What will happen this year if the rainfall is not normal?

The govt will probably provide free sand..plenty of sand left over from last year. The govt would provide the sand already in bags however last year's bags have rotted...so be sure to bring your own bags. Compensation forms will also be handed out at the sand distritbution points.

In the last flood thread, the Irrigation Dept guy said his biggest worry is the Pra Sak Jolasit Dam which is FULL, and has been for some time. this is the largest dam in Central Thailand.

The dam is not far from Ayuthya, and the Pra Sak River (1700+km long) is a source of much of the flooding in Ayuthya and BKK. Any heavy flows will have to be allowed to pass through this dam - there is no capacity left for flood mitigation. I can only assume they are trying to get the rice crop in before attempting to drop level.

http://www.ayutthaya-history.com/Geo_River_PaSak.html

I won't rely on the words of those retards in the Thai government. Those peeps have"lost face" long long time ago, why try to cover up anymore misinformation? B****es

Your comparison is offensive for retards.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif im confident I wont have a huge hangover or get totally pissed tonight as long as my drinking is normal and kept to around 1 bottle wine tonight.

What a bunch of clowns cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I 2nd that... Bunch of losers in "their Face" of their own country.

I already feel sorry for those who'll be suffering downlow in the North...

Nobody knows what is going to happen. So far just pure speculations. The real picture will be clear in August or September (the month when Thailand receives the highest amount of rainfall). This year it does rain less especially in central part of Thailand, but I wouldn't say this about the North or North East. They have witnessed rainfall above normal so far. Just let's hope it won't rain too much in the following months and we won't have major floods. Anyway floods are inevitable in low areas, especially near Chao Phraya as they happen every year. High tides in October-November don't help either!

http://www.arcims.tmd.go.th/dailydata/yearRain.php

Edited by Thunder26

Nobody knows what is going to happen. So far just pure speculations. The real picture will be clear in August or September (the month when Thailand receives the highest amount of rainfall). This year it does rain less especially in central part of Thailand, but I wouldn't say this about the North or North East. They have witnessed rainfall above normal so far. Just let's hope it won't rain too much in the following months and we won't have major floods. Anyway floods are inevitable in low areas, especially near Chao Phraya as they happen every year. High tides in October-November don't help either!

I won't bet on that. I have the feeling that rainy seasons will be longer and longer every year due to Global warming.

Isn't it quite simple to ask, "What is your plan if the rainfall isn't normal?

What is each projected strategy? For example, if rainfall is above the expected, and so rises above 1-15mm what is the plan of action?

If 15-30mm above expected, what is the next plan of action?

If 30mm to 50mm or 5 metres to 20 milliion cubic metres per metre cubed? - believe me, the last one would have somebody at the top perplexed... cheesy.gif

-mel. clap2.gif

I won't bet on that. I have the feeling that rainy seasons will be longer and longer every year due to Global warming.

Guess you never got that memo...Global warming is a myth...

Still most people don't know that it is just scam.......

Also it is a good excuse....the evil Americans (now changing to evil Chinese) causing global warming and we can't do anything against it is more comfortable. In fact cutting the forests, closing the land with concrete and hinder the water flow is the reason. Complete missmanagment is making it worse.

I got told the dams are full....now they should be empty, even that draining it causes small floods.

Isn't it quite simple to ask, "What is your plan if the rainfall isn't normal?

What is each projected strategy? For example, if rainfall is above the expected, and so rises above 1-15mm what is the plan of action?

If 15-30mm above expected, what is the next plan of action?

If 30mm to 50mm or 5 metres to 20 milliion cubic metres per metre cubed? - believe me, the last one would have somebody at the top perplexed... cheesy.gif

-mel. clap2.gif

Owned!!!!!!

There won't be a megaflood if the rainfall is normal.

Maybe I'm a bit thick but that looks like a perfectly valid statement to me.

A very lame statement to me... A typical Thai-face-saving attempt. <deleted> are these people consider normal?... Corruption and lies to their taxpayers, book it!!!!

5555555555555555 hahaha, will there be a semi mega flood or a mini mega flood, if theres not even quite normal rainfall.????? What they are saying is not to worry if things are NORMAL. If they were NORMAL they wouldn't come out with stupid statements, get their fingers out and be working all gods hours to prevent in case of not normal rainfall---bleeding idiots.