Good Advice For New Residents - Chiang Mai

Gladiator

Excellent post eyecatcher, and the moral of the story is keeping it real.

Just to address the point that Winnie made about parallel lives, I totally agree with that Winnie and one of the first mistakes that people make when they come to Chiang Mai is not doing / realizing that.

Case in point, my lady worked for years in the cafe of a prominent CM hotel, there's a very good chance that many members here know her. The hotel is part hotel part residence. She is a good looking girl and she was besieged with offers from every stray male you could imagine that rolled through the hotel. These were the same stray males that were sitting having breakfast with bar girls, being served by my lady, and thinking they were invisible. They would kick the bar girl out, then go chat up my lady and ask her out.

Pleeeeaze!! My lady was repulsed at that, repulsed at thinking they had her in the same category as a bar girl, repulsed at the thought that THEY thought every Thai woman was so cheap and easy they would fall at their feet, get used and abused, and say thank you Sir as the guy moved on to their next victim.

Think about it, if you were in the West and you would talking to a potential girlfriend, would you say to her, " Hi, my name is ............, I use prostitutes on a regular basis, in fact, here's one I banged earlier ". At one point recently there was a total sweetheart working in the reception of that hotel, she was 26, single, and she had a crush on one particular resident. I was tasked with mentioning to the resident about said crush, the guy was delighted, he was looking for a good girlfriend, he'd been looking for ages for the right girl, and this one was a contender so!! They had a chat, they had a coffee, they arranged a dinner ( with chaperone, fantastic!! ), and the girl was elated as it was a genuine crush. The jungle drums went a beating, the rest of the hotel staff had a good gossip about and and!!! The guy went down to Loi Kroh, picked up a tail, and brought her back to the hotel. crazy.gifcrazy.gif

The receptionist was told by security, she was crushed as it was a genuine crush, all the staff had a good gossip about it, and the receptionist left her job as she was so embarrassed. Come on everybody.......rule number one, don't sh*t on your own doorstep!!!! You'll get a reputation for being a monger and then you'll find out that there's something else behind those Thai smiles. That applies to all those small business owners etc around you too, once again apply the same logic, would you be seen eating in your hometown restaurant with a known and obvious prostitute?? I think not, just apply the same logic to where you live in Thailand and you'll be fine.

So the parallel life bit means keep it away from your home, naturally if you want to give a lady girlfriend status then she is welcome in your home, the Thais are not stupid, they can tell the difference between a girl friend and a bar girl. When you are sitting in your local restaurant with your girlfriend the staff and owners will be delighted for you, in fact they are likely to be telling you gf in Thai how lucky she is as you are a good man. All because you had the wisdom to lay the proper foundation.

How did I pull my lady? It was a running joke in the hotel that she would not date anyone, the residents used to keep a tally on how many had tried and guys were getting bonus points for trying hard. It never occurred to me to ask her out, I was back and forth in Chiang Mai four times over the course of a year before we went on a date ( chaperoned, I love it laugh.png ), and the reason I was picked out from the crowd was???? One, I chatted to her and had a laugh with her over the year, and two, she never saw me with a bar girl. Naturally you know already that theblether is saintly in this regard whistling.gif Bizarrely it was the fact that I didn't ask her out that resulted in me going out with her. I'll never understand women.

Right, enough, regard your home as your castle, and be a gentleman to all that surround your castle, that's a good start. Get the foundation right in this regard and you'll reap the dividends, it's these kind of guys that get the introductions to the best girls.

I keep going about the small business owners, let me point out the obvious to you. Many of these small business owners are women, and many of them are single. They are self reliant and in many cases the backbone of their family, they have done the graft to get the little cafe open, or the hairdressers, or whatever, and they know the value of work. They have a structure to their lives and they are self dependent, in every regard as often, they have been let down by feckless Thai partners.

If I was setting out to live today in Thailand, and looking for a long term partner, these are exactly the type of women I would be looking for. They have a life, they have a business, they have an income, they don't NEED me. Yes I can ADD to their lives but they don't NEED me. Too many relationships founder in Thailand because from the get go they are unbalanced. I'm a logical kind of guy, I know that in most cases these women do not have my spending power, but that's not the point. Within their own world they have everything they need. I would rather be wanted than needed, apply that logic and you won't go far wrong.

If you had a look at the books of these small business owners you would weep, they often put in 10/12 hour days of hard graft to turnover 3 or 4 thousand baht. You would be amazed at how tight the profit margins are, in fact, I suggest you would be humbled. That's a good thing, humble is good, as it will make you think longer and harder about what you do with your money.

This thread has already covered the issues of not becoming a bar fly, being a bar fly is the road to ruin. I'm a drinking man and during one of my expat stints drinking became my life, I didn't fall over the cliff into alcoholism however if I had stayed in that country a few months longer it was on the cards. I have seen alcoholism visit many of my expat friends over the years. Be careful, no one is immune, and if you get caught in the trap, it's a nightmare.

I'm working away just now to get myself into a position where I can semi retire at 48 ( I'm 46 now ), I reckon I'll be in Thailand 6 months of the year, a couple of months of general traveling, and I'll work at peak season in my business in the UK. During my 6 month stint in Thailand I'll be making a point of taking up golf again, and if I can work up the courage, I'll go back into Muay Thai training, I won't box, but the training can be brutal so I'll need to get my bravery topped up for that. A tired man sleeps well, and physical exercise is good for your mental state and well being, and it's all the better of you are doing something you genuinely enjoy. So if you hate gyms, don't go, just do what you enjoy.

Here's one more for you and I'll be quiet..........AirAsia is your friend, when you have retired or you have a flexible schedule always make sure you have something to look forward to, always have a little trip on the horizon, in fact, when the AirAsia sales kick in, have two or three planned. You know how cheap those flights can be. I'm only using Air Asia as an example, the point is in as much as you love Chiang Mai, get out of town and have a look around. It keeps you fresh and it keeps your mind active, and I would say that most of us enjoy traveling so it's a pleasure, not a burden.Obviously it needs to sit well within your budget, but try to make time for getting out and about, go try another golf course, go do a bit of diving, whatever. I enjoy reading the posts from the Chiang Mai contingent that disappear down to the coast when Smokie season starts.

Don't let your life become a prison sentence, shake it up a little bit and enjoy. wai.gif

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

I see guys in their 70's walking hand in hand with 21 years old girls. Looks stupid and IS stupid. My wife is 40, 20 years my junior. That's about the most I would ever go. Anything under 30 is brain dead anyway and would never be able to relate to you in the long run.

Bizarre post.

As if everyone comes to Thailand looking to "hook up" with a woman, as you put it. Most of your post is how to safeguard yourself and your money from the "good girls," (not those evil bar girls).

And this, 'Watch out for the young ones," is poorly argued. Your wife was under 30 once; was she brain dead too at that age (as you say they all are) and is she "never (be) able to relate to you in the long run"? You shoot yourself in the foot with this argument.

And you say that these non-bargirls, the good ones, also need to be paid off when you are out of Thailand so they won't hook up with someone else? If that's true love, it applies to bargirls equally.

Anyway, let me move ahead and say this:

Don't ignore your inner common sense voice when you come to Thailand.

The stories are endless of guys who come out here and behave in diametrical opposition to the way they would back in their home countries. If you wouldn't go out with prostitute (part time or compelled, whatever) at home, why do it here? Would you buy land in your home country with documents in a foreign language and translated by people you have little faith in? Would you buy a shop or bar without doing any due diligence as to how the business was in the past?

Thailand isn't Willie wanke_r's Chocolate Babe Factory where you can forget everything and go running naked through the rest of your life, eating cherries and not thinking how it will all be paid for in the end....

<snip>

Thailand isn't Willie wanke_r's Chocolate Babe Factory where you can forget everything and go running naked through the rest of your life, eating cherries and not thinking how it will all be paid for in the end....

I must remember to quote that advice to the next newbie I meet at a bar ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I see guys in their 70's walking hand in hand with 21 years old girls. Looks stupid and IS stupid. My wife is 40, 20 years my junior. That's about the most I would ever go. Anything under 30 is brain dead anyway and would never be able to relate to you in the long run.

Bizarre post.

As if everyone comes to Thailand looking to "hook up" with a woman, as you put it. Most of your post is how to safeguard yourself and your money from the "good girls," (not those evil bar girls).

And this, 'Watch out for the young ones," is poorly argued. Your wife was under 30 once; was she brain dead too at that age (as you say they all are) and is she "never (be) able to relate to you in the long run"? You shoot yourself in the foot with this argument.

And you say that these non-bargirls, the good ones, also need to be paid off when you are out of Thailand so they won't hook up with someone else? If that's true love, it applies to bargirls equally.

Anyway, let me move ahead and say this:

Don't ignore your inner common sense voice when you come to Thailand.

The stories are endless of guys who come out here and behave in diametrical opposition to the way they would back in their home countries. If you wouldn't go out with prostitute (part time or compelled, whatever) at home, why do it here? Would you buy land in your home country with documents in a foreign language and translated by people you have little faith in? Would you buy a shop or bar without doing any due diligence as to how the business was in the past?

My post is a precis of advice I received from a gentleman who has been retired in Thailand for many years. His advice I think is very good and relevant to most people who come here. As i said I have followed a lot of that advice and its good to remember, especially trying to get along with someone over 20yrs your junior.

You wouldn.t normally take on this age difference in your own country would you, on a par with a son or daughter.

I agree the reference to them being brain dead is probably exaggerated and I have one under 30 myself who is actually more intelligent than myself and probably wiser aswell; but I think he was referring to the many uneducated girls from the Isaan area..

Did the OP say he was going to collate the various advices; that would be great.