Sight Seeing Suggestions For Photo Tour Please

Nicole79

Hello everyone! After much delay, I've finally booked my airline tickets and will be in flying into Bangkok in November. I'm staying for 6 weeks (currently waiting for my passport / tourist visa to come back from the Consulate-General).

The only plans I have so far are for being in Chiang Mai for the Loi Krathong and Yi Peng festivals, and visiting with friends in Phen.

I don't want to get stuck so much in the tourist trap areas, though I will probably check a few of them out briefly. I take daily medication that I cannot mix with alcohol, so drinking is not on the menu. I want to spend my time visiting amazingly beautiful locations (both natural and architectural) that photograph well. I also want to see more of the authentic Thai culture that hasn't been so influenced by other parts of the world.

Lastly, what would be the cheapest and safest way to navigate around the country? Train?

Thanks much!

I'm sure others will be of more use than I would be.

On the photo front I was looking to purchase images for a web site and sales material yesterday, I looked at Itsockphoto & Fotolia and honestly the images are so bland and same same, maybe if your inclined you could create some decent content and make a few pounds at the same time.

Best of luck

I'm sure others will be of more use than I would be.

On the photo front I was looking to purchase images for a web site and sales material yesterday, I looked at Itsockphoto & Fotolia and honestly the images are so bland and same same, maybe if your inclined you could create some decent content and make a few pounds at the same time.

Best of luck

Actually, I am an Exclusive iStock photographer, and I most likely will be adding to my portfolio with the photos I take on this trip. Got any examples of the kind of stuff you're looking for?

Bus is the main mode of transport here. The train has a few routes that many really do enjoy, but travel is quite slow and options are not as plentiful. The bus goes everywhere and is...fairly...safe. Seems the worst are the overnight ones that are geared towards tourists. Stick with daytime and with government run buses.

• Like 2

Koh Chang is tranquil with brilliant sunsets Nov. - Feb. I've always taken the early morning bus from Ekkamai to Koh Chang and returned to Bangkok (Victory Monument) via minibus. I like Kai Bae beach as it's not as touristed as other beaches. Much of Koh Chang is heavily touristed, but Kai Bae and Lonely Beach aren't so bad. Note that Lonely Beach is the backpacker beach. Brilliant sunset pics. over the sea and sand from both beaches.

I've taken some eye catching pics. of the evening vendors and seafood restaurants which line the main road on Kai Bae beach. Enjoy!

Edited by Microwave

craigt3365, duly noted. Thank you for the info. I've catalogged it in my iPod.

Microwave, thanks for the tip!

melsnet, good idea. I'll give that a go.

Kan Win, thank you for sharing your photos. Nice collection!

In Bangkok, make sure you find the BTS Skytrain. Monorail traim that goes all over the place. Buy a daily pass and get an elevated view and quick look over.

Of course several Thai Temples in Bangkok bear visiting. Grand Palace, Wat Po (big reclining buddha), Wat Arun on the river front.

I suggest the Dusit zoo. Very pretty with a nice big lake in the middle.

National Museum is worth a visit also.

Probably should go to Ayuthya and the old ruins.

I took the bus from Mo Chit bus terminal in bangkok up to Sukhothai to see the old ruins there. That is a beautiful quiet place. Nice little town to stay over in. Might consider doing that then continue via bus up to Chaing Mai.

Take bus down to Pattaya. Don't necesarrily stay there, but there are some nice things: Nong Nooch botanical garden is totally worth a visit. 1,000,000 years crocodile park is good for an afternoon. Then take a trip to Ko Samet island. stay a few nights. Really is pretty.

If you can get down the west coast south of Bangkok, go to Krabi region. Check out those limestone stacks. Very unique scenery.

Seeing that you'll be in Chiang Mai, consider taking a bus from the main Chiang Mai bus station to Chiang Rai. Plenty of temples within Chiang Rai to photograph as well as 2 interesting cave temples just outside of town. You'll have to hire a motorcycle taxi at Chiang Rai's bus station to drive you around town and to the bus station to return to Chiang Mai (a three hour trip each way).

I also suggest taking a minibus from the main Chiang Mai bus station to Mae Hong Sohn, perhaps stopping in Pai along the way. Mae Hong Sohn has a beautiful yet well photographed temple with a small lotus covered lake in front of the temple. The province of Mae Hong Sohn has gorgeous scenery full of rolling hills and waterfalls. The weather is beautiful in northern Thailand during the time when you'll be here. You'll return to Chiang Mai via minibus (a 6 hour trip each way).

More food for thought...