Sai Kaew Beach At The Military Base In Sattahip

falang07

Thanks all for the input, so it is 80 THB for farangs and 30 THB for Thais, regardless if you are a resident or a tourist. Yes, it is rasistic, I hope they will impose same rules for Thais living in Europe and USA.

It's not racist. Same happens all over the world. Probably in your home country also. I know in Las Vegas, they have specials for locals only. You have to show a drivers license proving you live in Las Vegas. If you do, free entry and discounts on drinks. Wifey had a NY DL and they wouldn't give her the discounts. Happens everywhere.

Yeah, but i have a local 5 year driving licence, have a local address, have a work permit, married to local Thai with half Thai kids, would understand if it was a tourist!

Right. That makes it tougher. Like I said, same happened to me in Vegas with wifey. No free entry, no half price drinks. So, we went elsewhere!

There is a great beach in Ban Chang. I can't remember the name of it...maybe somebody can help out? I think its got great sand and I like the restaurant with tables under the trees and right on the sand. Beautiful. And no charge!!

True, but then again, does the US military own the most pristine and attractive beaches?

I think this line of discussion implies an incorrect thought process. (not necessarily the above quote in particular). : *ALL* beaches start out pristine. Then some get completely $#()* up by over development of tourist infrastructure (or fishing, or ports, or industry), whereas others are left to be just 'a geographical feature', as they happen to be near a base/port where the military does military things. Then those beaches remain, well, pristine.

It's not like the military went to the Eastern Seaboard a century ago, looked at Pattaya Beach or Wong Amat or whatever and thought: "well, these suck, let's grab some really pretty ones near Sattahip." Military don't work that way. rolleyes.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the input, so it is 80 THB for farangs and 30 THB for Thais, regardless if you are a resident or a tourist. Yes, it is rasistic, I hope they will impose same rules for Thais living in Europe and USA.

It's not racist. Same happens all over the world. Probably in your home country also. I know in Las Vegas, they have specials for locals only. You have to show a drivers license proving you live in Las Vegas. If you do, free entry and discounts on drinks. Wifey had a NY DL and they wouldn't give her the discounts. Happens everywhere.

I have to disagree with you on this. It certainly does not happen in my country, nor do I know of any other European country where it happens. Tivoli in Copenhagen for example has a year pass that cost the equivalent of a few day passes, so would only make sense to locals, but anyone regardless of nationality can buy it.

Maybe those who defend this type charge policy come from countries where it's done and are used to it, and those who find it unfair come from countries that don't do it.

I have to disagree with you on this. It certainly does not happen in my country, nor do I know of any other European country where it happens. Tivoli in Copenhagen for example has a year pass that cost the equivalent of a few day passes, so would only make sense to locals, but anyone regardless of nationality can buy it.

Maybe those who defend this type charge policy come from countries where it's done and are used to it, and those who find it unfair come from countries that don't do it.

I'll try to find the thread where it was talking about this happening in the UK and France. Here's a few offers I found after searching for 2 minutes:

http://www.tfl.gov.u...rging/6735.aspx

http://www.hrp.org.u...ty/TowerHamlets

Inter-Rail (www.interrailnet.com) passes are generally good for people who can show they’ve lived in Europe for at least six months. Passes for Denmark are only eligible for EU and Danish residents however, and cost from €69 for three days unlimited travel within one month up to €139 for eight days travel.

http://www.visitbrig...pavilion-p52803

Residents of Brighton & Hove can enjoy half price admission to the Royal Pavilion all year with proof of identity.

http://www.mousesavers.com/paris.html

Package Specials

Please note: the specials below are for UK residents. The UK is the primary market for Disneyland Paris and the UK sales office offers the best deals. Links in the package specials below all go to the UK site.

The package offers for US residents are limited and usually have bigger restrictions, such as longer length of stay, etc. US travel agents cannot book UK packages. However, there are ways around this. See above for details.

http://www.scandinav...il-denmark-pass

Eligibility

This pass is only valid for residents of Europe. You are not eligible to travel with this pass if you are a resident of Denmark.

http://en.museicapit..._e_prenotazioni

The ticket office is situated on the Piazza del Campidoglio, on the ground floor of the Palazzo dei Conservatori.

Charges

"Museum + Exhibition" Combined Ticket:

- Adults: € 12,00;

- Concessions: € 10,00;

- Ridottissimo special price: € 2,00;

Roman Citizens only (by showing a vaild ID):

- Adults: € 11,00;

- Concessions: € 9,00;

- Ridottissimo special price: € 2,00;

"Capitoline Museums + Centrale Montemartini + Exhibition" Combined Ticket:

- Adults: € 14,00;

- Concessions: € 12,00;

Roman Citizens only (by showing a vaild ID):

- Adults: € 13,00;

- Concessions: € 11,00;

Please note: According to the Municipal by-law, due to the exceptionality of the exhibition Lux in Arcana, people usually entitled to free admission must purchase a € 2,00 concessionary ticket. Free admission is only granted to: elementary and intermediate school groups; disabled visitors and a carer; Roma Pass holders if used for one of the first two free admissions.

Summary of regulations that govern entry to museums and archaeological sites

Free Entrance

a) to residents in the city of Rome under 18 and over 65 years of age, except for the shows held at the Planetarium of Rome in the Museum of Roman Civilization;

Point taken, I just never saw it before. I think it's a few exceptions though, rather than as here, the rule.

As for the rail pass not being offered to Danish residents, it's because it's an offer to encourage tourists to travel and it's so cheap they want to avoid locals use it for their commute. The opposite thing really. ;)

This is different, craigt3365, you show examples of discounts that some residents can get in your country (like the half price admission to the Royal Pavilion), but here in Thailand we are speaking of a substantial surcharge (200% in case of that beach in Sattahip) compared with the standard price!

• 4 months later...

If you want to go there it will be packed with 100% Russian tourists. I went there yesterday with my Thai wife. Did not see one non-Russian person anywhere -except of course Thai people who worked there. Probably over 200. Left and went the other Navy beach.

If you want to go there it will be packed with 100% Russian tourists. I went there yesterday with my Thai wife. Did not see one non-Russian person anywhere -except of course Thai people who worked there. Probably over 200. Left and went the other Navy beach.

Have some coordinates or maybe can mark it on google map this other Navy beach you went to without the Russian visitors? Thanks.

have to agree, the russian tour operators have taken a monopoly on this beach, they ship them in by the bus load, I just ignore them. Might try the other beach 10mins down the road next time

I went to this beach last Sunday, and have to say it was lovely compared to Pattaya Beach and Jomtien, the water was so clean and blue.

My Thai partner had to give his ID and pick it up on the way out, the arrangement was similar to how it use to be on Ko Larn, have to park your vehicle then get a bus over the hill to the beach.

There were plenty of people there including Farangs. There is no shop, just a restaurant, so we bought our drinks before we went in. It was lovely, clean toilets & showers.

wrong beach

I went to this beach last Sunday, and have to say it was lovely compared to Pattaya Beach and Jomtien, the water was so clean and blue.

My Thai partner had to give his ID and pick it up on the way out, the arrangement was similar to how it use to be on Ko Larn, have to park your vehicle then get a bus over the hill to the beach.

There were plenty of people there including Farangs. There is no shop, just a restaurant, so we bought our drinks before we went in. It was lovely, clean toilets & showers.

wrong beach

How is it wrong if they went there and enjoyed it? Maybe different beach from what you are thinking but certainly not wrong.

Edited by Jayman

• 3 months later...

OK, let's get this straight about the Sattahip beach on the co-ordinates given, I went on Friday.

As you enter, you leave ID at the box & are given a pass, the ticket box is about 5klms in from Suk & the firt box for the ID.

At the second box, farangs are 80baht, no exceptions & Thais are 30baht.

On weekdays, you can drive your private car to the beach, on weekends you must take the sangteaw from the second ticket box.

There is a restaurant there as well as many small shops selling food & drink

Beer was 35-45baht, food 100baht & up.

There are showers, toilets, chairs for 30baht, some cabana style shade, small plastic kyaks etc.

The beach is clean & FULL of Russians mostly on a bus/van tour.

They are served a set meal in the restaurant organised by the guide they were just having fun so no trouble.

Overall, a good experience & I will be back for sure but on a weekday to avoid what I think will be a busy time on the weekend.

Hope this helps

Edited by ROBINPATTAYA
  • Like 1

I think there are many of these beaches with various levels of access, it would be helpful if someone would mark them on a google map and post here

Here you go.

Sai Kaew Beach Map

About half way between the Entrance and where you pay there will be a guard who will want to see your pass.

That's the one ---- well done. Going from Pattaya it's at km 167. Bang Saray is 164.

The other beach near the aircraft carrier is 25km further, which is 50km extra. My car will not travel 50km for 80 baht, so in my view the price is good value. Tides at the moment are not great ---i.e. out in early afternoon. Google Sattahip tide chart for graph. It changes daily. When the tide is out, one has to walk a long way to get some depth, and of course nobody cleans the sea bed at low tide, so beware where you walk.