Best Internet Jomtien

dazk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think it actually comes from CAT in Pattaya. Could be wrong though."

Sophon's fiber feed comes directly from Bangkok into an optical switch in their Pattaya Tai office. From there it branches out (again on fiber cable), to the various neighborhoods around Pattaya/Jomtien. Stop by their office when one of their technical guys is in - they'll be happy to show and explain the setup.

CAT is only involved as an ISP who assigns and manages IP addresses, SMTP servers, etc. That is done by CAT in Bangkok. There is no association with CAT in Pattaya (which is entirely a DSL operation still using copper-pair phone lines and all the faults that come along with it)

I had CAT for 6 years - started out terrible and improved greatly over the years, but they have never adopted pricing to match their competitors.

you are seriously wrong there. cat has a massive fibre- optic backbone here, howling traffic for many ISP and cellphone connections.

i think the network has improved in a tremendous way in general, here in LOS.clap2.gif Last time i looked, sophon was not on the NBTC ISP list.

So, if you got 3BB internet and you name your WiFI AP "SuftRider" I'll guess than you have "SurfRider" internet? biggrin.png

And yes, 1600 thb for 2MB@CAT is pricey. The problem here is: CAT is still owned by HRM/government and it is obliged not to compete with the private sector, despite it owns quite a bit of it.smile.png

Edited by JakeBKK

Sorry, but you don't have your facts straight. Sophon has their own fiber link direct from the Internet Gateway in Bangkok. It feeds into an optical switch on S. Pattaya Rd. and, from there, is distributed around the Pattaya/Jomtien area. If you don't believe this, go to the Sophon office on S. Pattaya Rd. and they'll give you a demo.

Sophon is not on the NBTC ISP list because they do not provide ISP services. Sophon is simply a conduit to feed broadband to their customers - they use CAT/Bangkok as an ISP to assign IP addresses and provide SMTP servers, etc.

Thanks BlackPuddingBertha for your time and comments but it did not help much. 10% of 13Mbit is 1.3Mbit and i don't even get that even though I'm paying for 4Mb. That is the problem.

You dont seem to understand how it works. If your account is regular and not premium then your 4mbs is only valid inside Thailand. Outside Thailand you will get what you get, and depending on where the server is that you are connecting to you may or may not get 4mbs. Also on the non-premium package you will probably be sharing your connection with more people and if they are doing a lot then inevitably you will be doing less. On top of that CAT/Sophon do seem to do some throttling from time to time.

So if you want to be sure of getting higher international bandwidth then you need to buy a premium package, but these arent cheap.

I find the regular 4mbs to be perfectly good for my needs as I am not in much of a hurry. Even so I regularly do get the full 4mbs to servers outside Thailand, especially if they are in the US, often for many hours at a time.

It seams like folks at Sophon are reading this thread as i have never have had such high speed for the last 6 month as i have today. Now we have to how long it will last.

Hmmmm. It only lasted for 3 days... Now back on 0.2-0.5Mbit.

2483197618.png

Edited by TramsRepus

Interesting pings from those two tests.

Running the same test gives me 4mbs, .5mbs and 11ms, which is what I would expect from my 4Mbs connection.

I think that TramsRepus has a problem on his line (and it may be a routing problem not in his home at all) and should get Sophon to fix it. I have only ever had them out twice but I have found them to be very prompt in coming out, and very tenacious in fixing the problem.

2490093586.png

Here's my result tonight from north Jomtien with Sophon.

There's clearly something seriously wrong with your configuration. If you have your own Router, that could be the source of the problem. Sophon can swap out both your Modem and Router and run other tests to isolate the problem.

If you DON'T have your own router (direct connection from your Modem to computer), that could also be the source of the problem because you don't have a hardware firewall which means that your computer could be infected with various viruses, malware, etc. Sophon can isolate that possibility also by using the laptop computer that they always bring with them. I would suggest keeping pressure on them until they isolate and fix the problem.

Having a terrible day with Sophon in Jomtien today, giving up and going for a beer, it just keeps stopping completely, or slowing to a point that its like being on dial-up.

All the problems have started since they changed the Cyberroam system of login

They do always come out when you call them, then its ok for a while

Why did they install Cyberoam??? I've never heard of anyone needing that with Sophon.

If you don't have your own Router, you should get one. Only around 1100 Baht at TukCom, or you can buy one from Sophon at a higher price. When you're having speed and/or connectivity problems, you should disable Cyberoam and see if that makes a difference.

Why did they install Cyberoam??? I've never heard of anyone needing that with Sophon.

If you don't have your own Router, you should get one. Only around 1100 Baht at TukCom, or you can buy one from Sophon at a higher price. When you're having speed and/or connectivity problems, you should disable Cyberoam and see if that makes a difference.

They put it on 6 months ago when they installed the system as the way to connect to Sophon, last time I was having problems the technician said they have a new login system, this was maybe about 2 weeks ago.

I showed them the 2 routers I have, and they told me neither was any use with Sophon

Before it was impossible to disable Cyberoam without disconnecting. Its a brick wall I am afraid

Unfortunately the Sophon engineers have never heard of PPPoE router connection methods, I know what you mean and I understand your frustration when they want to install a client on your PC.

It is totally not necessary.. but they just don't have the training.

You really need to get the username and password off them and throw them out! It worked for me

Unfortunately the Sophon engineers have never heard of PPPoE router connection methods, I know what you mean and I understand your frustration when they want to install a client on your PC.

It is totally not necessary.. but they just don't have the training.

You really need to get the username and password off them and throw them out! It worked for me

My username and password is written on my Sophon contract.

"I showed them the 2 routers I have, and they told me neither was any use with Sophon"

Sophon works with any Ethernet Router. I bought mine at IT-City (a Belkin brand) at Tukcom for 1100 Baht - Sophon was also selling a WiFi Router for 2500. If you don't have a Router between the Modem and computer, you're letting yourself open for serious problems.

"I showed them the 2 routers I have, and they told me neither was any use with Sophon"

Sophon works with any Ethernet Router. I bought mine at IT-City (a Belkin brand) at Tukcom for 1100 Baht - Sophon was also selling a WiFi Router for 2500. If you don't have a Router between the Modem and computer, you're letting yourself open for serious problems.

Thanks SurfRider, is it just a case of putting username/password in the router settings? You don't by any chance have a link to what the setting should be for the router , I guess you just do it using PPPoE.

You still have to use their box

I just called Sophon, but could not get my message across

edit. I was just reading some of your old posts, its a cable router I need i see you say

Edited by bartender100

Yes, the Router needs your Sophon username and password - they should have given that to you or it will be on your contract. In the case of the Belkin Router, it defaults to PPPoE, but more sophisticated Routers may differ.

The Sophon Technicians know how to set up a Router, so my suggestion would be to leave that to them. I originally had a Linksys Router, but there was a problem with the firmware and it wouldn't upgrade. I bought the Belkin. Sophon installed both of them.

"its a cable router I need"

Yes, a cable Router or Ethernet Router - same-same.

Edited by SurfRider

Yes, the Router needs your Sophon username and password - they should have given that to you or it will be on your contract. In the case of the Belkin Router, it defaults to PPPoE, but more sophisticated Routers may differ.

The Sophon Technicians know how to set up a Router, so my suggestion would be to leave that to them. I originally had a Linksys Router, but there was a problem with the firmware and it wouldn't upgrade. I bought the Belkin. Sophon installed both of them.

"its a cable router I need"

Yes, a cable Router or Ethernet Router - same-same.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to use one of these

http://www.routeripaddress.com/routers/9771/zyxel-p-660n-txa-series.html

But access to the settings have been blocked I think by the Sophon box setting ie. 192.168.1.1 does not work.

Anyway thanks again for your assistance, I will wait for the technicians