41 Infected With 2009 H1N1 Avian Flu In Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

41 infected with 2009 H1N1 avian flu in Nakhon Ratchasima

image_2012062009453007C7CBEA-9096-ADE6-39246620ED22CE54.jpg

BANGKOK, June 20 – Forty-one persons have been confirmed being infected by the 2009 H1N1 avian flu strain at Nakhon Ratchasima Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital, the Ministry of Public Health said, emphasising that the situation is under control.

The patients are being closely monitored for two weeks to ensure that the epidemic will be contained.

Public Health Ministry Inspector General Kamron Chaisiri said the infections were found in the Nakhon Ratchasima facility in the northeast in early June.

Six female and 35 male patients have been admitted, including six who are hospital staff, he said.

According to the initial investigation, one hospital worker was infected with the flu virus from his daughter who fell sick on June 8, with all members of the family subsequently infected with the disease.

The hospital detected the first bird flu victim on June 12 in the ward for alcoholism patients. The ministry official said that such patients have weaker immune systems and are easily infected with disease.

The patients were given the antiviral drug Tamilflu, and none have severe condition, he said, adding that the patients were separated for better treatment and care.

Mr Kamron said the hospital has temporarily stopped admitting new patients until the situation is confirmed safe in two weeks but outpatient services are operating normally.

Health officials have sampled the schools in the province and have discovered no other cases of bird flu infection. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

I thought h1n1 was swine flu and h5n1 was avian flu?

Also wasn't human to uman transmission supposed to be very rare?

Apparently the 2009 version of H1N1 affects pigs, birds and humans

The difference is that the 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus, which is a triple reassortant of pig, avian and human viruses, contains the triple reassortant gene (TRIG) cassette, which is believed to make it far easier for a flu virus to swap genes with those from other species.........

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/01/pandemic-2009-h1n1-virus-gives-wings-to-avian-flu.html

• Like 1

Now this is scary. There must be human to human transmission/ Get your masks out.

A mask will not prevent you from catching it, Humans drive buses and cars that are more dangerous than a few bugs floating around.

Not too scary!!

It's really bad news. Can we have more details ? Exact location of where it started ...

I was supposed to go there this week end, I may postpone

Unless you're planning to stay in the Psychiatric Hospital, I don't think you need to worry about anything. Then again, if you're considering cancelling your trip because of this news, perhaps that's exactly where you SHOULD be staying.

Like this one ! Funny reply cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

There have been many mystery bird death recently, but many have though that they were covered up as not to risk the lifting of the EU ban on importing Thai poultry which has been in place for many years that is due to be lifted. Migrating birds, migrate through Thailand from areas with recent confirmed cases of bird flu, this is life, you may as well embrace it and put the risk out int he open, not hide it. Here are some interesting links to do with suspected bird flu in Thailand in April 2012 that I found interesting.

Fresh Bird Flu Outbreak In Thailand Fears - April 2012

http://www.gogoflorist.com/blog/2012/04/fresh-bird-flu-outbreak-in-thailand-fears/

Can not copy & paste the title without it looking silly.

http://thecelestialconvergence.blogspot.com/2012/04/mass-bird-die-off-hundreds-possibly.html

There has been outbreaks of this virus all over the world and like SARS (I was in China during the height of the crisis) it's relatively difficult to catch.

During the 2009 outbreak in Mexico there was widespread panic and only a few (301) people died of the 5,011 people who where hospitalised of 43,771 cases in total. The CDC discontinued tracking this virus because they thought they thought there was no point tracking total people infected.

You have probably seen the U-Tube Videos of dead chickens in China, being processed to ship to the USA. Do think that doesn't happen in LOS? Think about that, the next time you chomp down a grilled chicken from the local Thai Street vendor. I just hope the grilling kills the Virus! As for eating "Dancing Krong" at the beach ... forget it. My Thai GF got sick 3 times in a row eating those live shrimp. "Me neber getting sick", she always says. "Ya sure Terak. Why were you sitting on the toilet & vomiting for 3 hours, on our last trip to Jomtien Beach?" I pointed out to her that it was 35 C, the dancing Kung came from an E-Coli contaminated "fresh" water pool, surrounded by village houses c/w septic tanks that flood on every rainy season. Ditto for the snails her family catches in the paddies around her house in Issan. Gee, I wonder why people get sick? "We go pray Bhudda. Den not sick", she said. Not eating the contaminated food doesn't compute.

sick.gif

41 swine flu cases confirmed in Nakhon Ratchasima

PRASIT TANGPRASERT

THE NATION

30184592-01_big.JPG

A NURSE injects a patient with an A (H1N1) vaccine at the Nakhon Ratchasima Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital in the wake of a fresh outbreak of swine flu.

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Yesterday 41 persons were confirmed as infected with the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) at Nakhon Ratchasima Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital in the Northeast.

Six have been allowed to return home while the rest are under quarantine at the hospital to prevent the spread of the disease, and are not allowed any family visits.

Kamron Chaisiri, inspector-general of the Public Health Ministry, said the hospital found the first case on June 12 in the ward for alcoholics, who have weaker immune systems and are easily infected.

Six women and 35 men have been admitted, including six hospital staff. The patients are on the antiviral drug Tamiflu and none are severely ill. They have been separated for better treatment.

New patients will not be admitted until the situation is confirmed as safe, which would take about two weeks, but outpatient services are operating as usual. Health officials have surveyed schools in the province and discovered no other flu cases, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-21

21 cases of bird flu H1N1 Avian Flu!! But no need for concern, "the situation is under control," according to a Thai health official. This is a Thai euphemism for "we haven't a clue," but you must realize that our primary directive is to safeguard the tourist trade rather than Thai people or foreigners.

Actually, all chicken exports should be suspended until WHO officials certify the source and status of this outbreak of H1N1 Avian Flu in Thailand. This is a large number of cases.

• Like 1

Whoops. Well there goes exports to Europe again, and it all starts with a hospital employee, who should have been the very person to know how to protect him or herself.

Beyond that, of course, what are the odds that the first person to catch it is a hospital employee, in which case it has been around for a while.

Now this is scary. There must be human to human transmission/ Get your masks out.

A mask will not prevent you from catching it, Humans drive buses and cars that are more dangerous than a few bugs floating around.

Not too scary!!

Not too scary as long as you do not catch it!

21 cases of bird flu H1N1 Avian Flu!! But no need for concern, "the situation is under control," according to a Thai health official. This is a Thai euphemism for "we haven't a clue," but you must realize that our primary directive is to safeguard the tourist trade rather than Thai people or foreigners.

Actually, all chicken exports should be suspended until WHO officials certify the source and status of this outbreak of H1N1 Avian Flu in Thailand. This is a large number of cases.

Guess they should read this forum so they can make the right decisions.

• Like 1

CP might have a different opinion. In Thailand I think their opinion will see the light more than yours, no matter how logical you are.

Big Bucks involved for short term gain.

Maybe those who believe ion ghost would suggest a cover up. coffee1.gif

Edited by jcw