Urgent Appeal For O-Negative Blood

george

Urgent appeal for O-negative blood

This is an urgent appeal to try to help Tony Allison, the editor of Asia Times (online), who is in a very bad way and needs surgery promptly.

Tony is in Mahachai Hospital, Samut Sakorn, and close colleagues are anxious to get type O-negative blood, which is rare in Thailand. It's not an emergency yet, but could be, especially if there are complications. O-negative is much more common in farang than Thais, so we are seeking any volunteers among members or associates who may be able to help.

Tony had heart surgery a couple of months ago, which seemed OK at first, but in the past couple of weeks he started deteriorating rapidly. It turns out the original surgery got infected and then started 'leaking', which means his system is poisoned, and he has no energy at all and is very short of breath.

If anyone can help, please contact David Simmons via his phone 084 535 0416

/Admin

Does anyone know what the go is about donating?

I'm an Aussie but lived in the UK during the 80's and here, in Australia I'm banned fro giving blood because of the 'Mad Cow' thingie you had in the UK.

My Lassie gives in Thailand often and if I'm with her, next time I might also ... if allowed.

Any know the situation in Thailand in relation to what I wrote about above?

So, where does somebody go to give blood? Any hospital? I have given blood numerous times in the US and have had a surgery but have no clue what blood type I am. Not sure if this is common for Americans but always struck me as odd that people from other countries all know their blood type ... not so much them being odd but the fact I don't know my own.

i understand, they don't pay in Thailand for donations, but does one get at least some food at the Red Cross?

Means a Pepsi and a banana perhaps...?

Coz some people need it afterwards, and would have to prepare before going there...

Immediately afterward, to keep blood sugar from dipping

- a piece of fruit or

- small cup of yogurt or

- cookies...

something high in iron

- prunes, or

- mango/pineapple

to replace fluids

- plenty of water

Eat a meal high in protein after your donation:

Edited by dingdang

Yes, they provide something sugar and some juice or water. If its a Red Cross place, they include iron supplements as well.

Immediately afterward, to keep blood sugar from dipping

- a piece of fruit or

- small cup of yogurt or

- cookies...

something high in iron

- prunes, or

- mango/pineapple

to replace fluids

- plenty of water

Eat a meal high in protein after your donation:

Does anyone know what the go is about donating?

I'm an Aussie but lived in the UK during the 80's and here, in Australia I'm banned fro giving blood because of the 'Mad Cow' thingie you had in the UK.

My Lassie gives in Thailand often and if I'm with her, next time I might also ... if allowed.

Any know the situation in Thailand in relation to what I wrote about above?

My local hospital, Sikarin, told me i could not give blood in Thailand because of mad cow in the 80's, even though i could show them proof of donations 3 times a year in the UK since 1991.

i understand, they don't pay in Thailand for donations, but does one get at least some food at the Red Cross?

Means a Pepsi and a banana perhaps...?

Coz some people need it afterwards, and would have to prepare before going there...

H.S.! Assume the worst....are you O-neg???? Call!....need help getting there?need a cookie/biscuit/breath freshener?

• Like 1

The public hospitals in larger towns in Thailand (at least, Chumphon and Uttaradit) have a red cross centre where you can donate blood. Some hospitals also have the facility to donate plasma - which takes about one hour, rather than 20 min for blood. Just rock up to one, register, and donate!

0 neg blood/plasma is particularly useful - 'universal donor'. Unfortunately for our friend in need today, I gave whole blood three weeks ago (you normally wait 90 days between whole blood donations, only 14 days between plasma donations).

In Thailand, you need to take ID (passport etc.). You will be asked the usual things re. sexual partners, concurrent medication. I was not asked about residence in the UK (which did not apply, anyway). You must not drink grog for the 24hr before your donation (which does not apply in Australia). You should drink/eat in the morning, before donating.

The two places I have donated at did not put local anaesthetic in the needle site (which I don't like, in any event). I was treated like royalty (not many farangs donate blood here?), given a new towel (donation from Tesco) each time, and a money box! Plus some snack foods and iron tablets. Anyone need half-a-dozen unused towels? AA

• Like 2

So, where does somebody go to give blood? Any hospital? I have given blood numerous times in the US and have had a surgery but have no clue what blood type I am. Not sure if this is common for Americans but always struck me as odd that people from other countries all know their blood type ... not so much them being odd but the fact I don't know my own.

Most public hospital have blood donation centers in them, make sure you get yourself registered, you will receive a small card on which all of your donations after the time of your registration will be recorded.

ok, it took me this morning a rough 4 hours to get there...

i went to henry-dunant red cross center...

...straight to the left where there is the big sign "blood donor registration" and said that i wanted to donate blood...

"ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "no"..."go to information counter"

i was baffled, went to information counter and said that i wanted to donate blood... blood donation....

she gave me a map, circle here circle there... other building...

i was stunned and ask "this building on the map is blood donation?" ... "are you sure?"... "YES"

i walk a min 15 minutes to the other circled building...

in the other building "ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "no"..."go elsewhere"

it was the HIV test center

i said, she should write please down where exactly it was then, with building and so, as i was asking thousands of people along the way already and nobody even knows what "red cross" is... not even the security from the buliding next door.. lol...

she started painting... minutes later gave me a note in thai...

i walk and show people the note... they looked puzzled... i ask what she wrote... the note says

"she wants to go to blood donation, please show her the way"

i go back and ask her to help pls...

i demand she calls the number on the map to find out where the blood donation is...

to make this call took 10 minutes of dialling and waiting, repeadetly saying "cant reach anyone"...

i said nothing and waited... 10 minutes...

it turns out i was right in henry dunant...

"ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "sooooorryyyy"

im sorry too...

Edited by dingdang

ok, it took me this morning a rough 4 hours to get there...

i went to henry-dunant red cross center...

...straight to the left where there is the big sign "blood donor registration" and said that i wanted to donate blood...

"ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "no"..."go to information counter"

i was baffled, went to information counter and said that i wanted to donate blood... blood donation....

she gave me a map, circle here circle there... other building...

i was stunned and ask "this building on the map is blood donation?" ... "are you sure?"... "YES"

i walk a min 15 minutes to the other circled building...

in the other building "ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "no"..."go elsewhere"

it was the HIV test center

i said, she should write please down where exactly it was then, with building and so, as i was asking thousands of people along the way already and nobody even knows what "red cross" is... not even the security from the buliding next door.. lol...

she started painting... minutes later gave me a note in thai...

i walk and show people the note... they looked puzzled... i ask what she wrote... the note says

"she wants to go to blood donation, please show her the way"

i go back and ask her to help pls...

i demand she calls the number on the map to find out where the blood donation is...

to make this call took 10 minutes of dialling and waiting, repeadetly saying "cant reach anyone"...

i said nothing and waited... 10 minutes...

it turns out i was right in henry dunant...

"ooohhh waaaaahhh"... "sooooorryyyy"

im sorry too...

For anyone else who has this problem, it is the big, modern glass building off of Henry Dunant Rd, set back about 30 meters from the road, about 200 meters north of the intersection with Rama IV. When contrasted with the rather old white cement buildings all around it sticks out in a way you can't possibly miss.

Make sure to eat breakfast and/or lunch before you go to donate. If it has been more than a few hours since you last ate they will send you over to the food stalls to eat before allowing you to donate.

Also, if you lived in the UK during the mad cow scare, don't bother going. Your blood will not be accepted.