Investment/Funds Etc. In Euros & Chfr With Thai Bank

Hi there:

Anybody could help me with some info regarding options to invest Euros & CHFR with a Thai Bank, i.e. Kasikorn. I am looking for a conservative bond fund, money market fund or similar. What are cost for a portfolio of about 300'000 Euros. As I plan on spending more time here I would like to transfer a certain amount of my assets to Thailand.

As an option any ideas if an international bank like Citibank, Standard Charter offers this? At what cost?

My location will be Pattaya, if this makes a difference. Thank you all. JL.

Edited by johnlexo

I'm not sure why you'd want to transfer the assets to Thailand. If you eventually spend more than half the year here the income would be taxable in Thailand. Far better to hold offshore. There are plenty of offshore brokers who could meet your needs, e.g. http://www.internaxx.lu. I'd also add that the annual management charges for Thailand-based mutual funds tend to be higher than for those of more competitive countries.

Keep in mind your money in a Thai bank saving account is only insured by the govt up to 50M baht and was suppose to drop to 1M baht in mid Aug 12 unless the govt extends it at 50M baht. Assuming your 300,000 Euros (approx 12M baht) is your primary retirement funds I'm not sure I would risk such an important amount of money in an emerging nation bond/savings account with the variety and safety of western accounts. It's really easy to wire funds over when you need them. Plus it could get very hard to send such a large sum out of Thailand...sending money to Thailand is real, real easy, but when trying to send it out the Thai govt can make very hard.