Australian Stabbed In Heart In Thai Bag-Snatch Tragedy

webfact

This Morning I wrote ...

Sadness ... I feel sadness.

For her Family, her friends, her work colleagues, for the loss of Tourism which will result because they are 10 9 Travel Agents.

Also sadness for the Thai population for whom this low-life have bought disrespect to.

I have options to travel home to Australia through Phuket, but decline because of ongoing incidents like this and a general feeling that some institutions are, on Phuket, a law unto themselves.

Sadness ...

Not the sort of 'robust' comments for the General Forum ... but this particular death touches a nerve in Australian Society.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its time to stop the corny remarks about the police force .... its no longer a joke .....i cannot understand why a country such as australia does not slap a travel ban on this place immediately ...the phuket police are nothing but tea money collectors , they see tourists purely as a source of income .... until corruption is dealt with we will live in a lawless society ... so time to bail , tell your friends , colleagues , business associates stay away ....go to Myanamar ....

If I am reading your post correctly ... you want the Australian Government to 'slap a ban' of Phuket or on Thailand?

Phuket maybe be difficult to do because it's not a Nation.

The whole of Thailand is not Phuket.

Governments can, and frequently do, slap travel warnings and advisories on countries and various parts of countries that they consider not safe.

Usually this is because of a major threat such as civil war or major civil disturbance, but in these cases they withdraw all government personnel, including consular services, advise their citizens to leave the area immediately and issue the warning against all unnecessary travel to the affected area.

In such cases travel agencies, cruises etc have to also avoid the area as they may be held liable.

Now I am not suggesting that Australia should go to such an extreme measure, but the threat of such an action of other incidents occurred is a powerful economic weapon, especially in tourist dependent areas.

As for the Australian travel agencies selling holidays to Phuket - if they cannot guarantee the safety of one of their own, how can they guarantee it to their customers - it will be interesting to know if greed overcomes prudence.

Crobe

• Like 1

RIP the poor lady who died as a result of this cowardly attack, they two ladies who were attacked were part of a group of travel agents from a prominent travel agency in Perth, great advertising for family freindly Phuket, this sj=hould help bring the agency to recomend Phuket to all their customers, NOT.

its time to stop the corny remarks about the police force .... its no longer a joke .....i cannot understand why a country such as australia does not slap a travel ban on this place immediately ...the phuket police are nothing but tea money collectors , they see tourists purely as a source of income .... until corruption is dealt with we will live in a lawless society ... so time to bail , tell your friends , colleagues , business associates stay away ....go to Myanamar ....

If I am reading your post correctly ... you want the Australian Government to 'slap a ban' of Phuket or on Thailand?

they can place a ban a travel warning and emphasis the the cities to stay away from , such as bali did , bangkok etc ....the crime in phuket is out of control , the sad thing is farangs are beginning to accept it as normal ...my point is this, until the govt"s of other countries get serious about protecting their own citizens abroad ..the murders , rapes , bashings , robberies ,traffic accidents will only get worse ...

• Like 1

Terrible tragedy indeed ... nobody should die in that way ..if the police were less busy trying to get money from corruption they would perhaps be more visible to those criminals, I never seen any police patrol in those very touristic areas.. I might be wrong of course .Well Thailand is not safe anymore that for sure.

It's never been safe. This type of murder has been occurring in Phuket and other tourist areas for decades, in fact ever since tourists started coming. When there were only backpacker bungalows on the beaches of Phuket, backpackers were regularly attacked and shot dead or knifed, even in broad daylight, sometimes in their hotel rooms. The police made a bit more effort in those days and also had the "communist" bandits to deal with in Phuket and the South as well as the Muslim insurgents. Now, as you say, they are only interested in corruption. They have to pay handsomely for transfers and promotions to these lucrative tourist areas and then have to pay a fixed monthly rental payment to stay in the job. Obviously they are there to rake in as much as they can.

• Like 1

You are tecnically correct but nothing to stop a travel advisory warning re Phuket itself

"popular holiday island of Phuket"

How long before the world at large understands and realises what sort of scum prey on tourists (all farang) here in the realm. angry.pngIt's probably safer in Somalia bah.gif

And the average 'local Joe' thinks that the world is full of cretins who are fair game as soon they set down at the airport.

You make a good point David48.

Terrible tragedy indeed ... nobody should die in that way ..if the police were less busy trying to get money from corruption they would perhaps be more visible to those criminals, I never seen any police patrol in those very touristic areas.. I might be wrong of course .Well Thailand is not safe anymore that for sure.

I still think Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, every country has bad bastards like the two involved in this tragedy, but I feel much safer in Bangkok or even Pattaya than I do in Glasgow, or would feel in any city in the UK.

try your luck in Phuket i think that will change your mind about the level of safety ....

It is about time to wake up and realize that there are no places 100% safe, not in Thailand and nowhere else for that matter. The dumbest thing I hear is the oft repeated: "I never thought it could happen here!" It (theft, robberies etc.) does happen everywhere and we should try to guard ourselves the best we can without being hysterical. Carrying your bag openly in a way that invites snatchers is not wise. And of course the worst thing you can do if someone tries to get away with your bag or any other belongings of yours, is to resist. What is most important, your stuff or your life?! That is sometimes the choice you are faced with. I know it is an almost involuntary reaction to fight back and defend your property, but I have made up my mind that if something similar happens to me, I will let the robbers have what they want and that will hopefully prevent any further calamities.

And please don't put your confidence in the police. As the saying goes; "When it's a matter of seconds, the police are only minutes away!"

• Like 1

Governments can, and frequently do, slap travel warnings and advisories on countries and various parts of countries that they consider not safe.

Usually this is because of a major threat such as civil war or major civil disturbance, but in these cases they withdraw all government personnel, including consular services, advise their citizens to leave the area immediately and issue the warning against all unnecessary travel to the affected area.

In such cases travel agencies, cruises etc have to also avoid the area as they may be held liable.

Now I am not suggesting that Australia should go to such an extreme measure, but the threat of such an action of other incidents occurred is a powerful economic weapon, especially in tourist dependent areas.

As for the Australian travel agencies selling holidays to Phuket - if they cannot guarantee the safety of one of their own, how can they guarantee it to their customers - it will be interesting to know if greed overcomes prudence.

Crobe

Thank you for that insightfull statement on how the Australian Government 'slap' ... issue travel warnings to their citizens ... I never would have known that.

The comment that I was replying to stated that a travel ban should be initiated immediately and should be read in that context.

R.I.P. to the poor lady who died, and I hope that her friend has a speedy recovery physically and more importantly emotionally.

Most of these bag-snatches which occur in tourist areas internationally too, involve the use of a knife to cut the shoulder-strap for quickness. If the victim struggles or the offender is on drugs, obviously the knife is used for murder. Usually these crimes the offender produces a knife as he approaches from behind and cuts the bag-strap and runs, which happened to me twice, in Goa and also in Tenerife. Even a robbery leaves lasting emotional scars and the police should treat these robbers as serious criminals even if there is no injury involved. The police in Thailand will soon enough see less and less tourists, especially the nice friendly family and retired tourists, if they don't start doing their jobs and pre-emptively patrolling as deterrent.

RIP to the victim.

Its a sad fact that this sort of thing happens all over the world.

Now, if it happened in The UK, USA, France, Germany, Australia etc, I think that most people would be assured that the police would do their utmost to catch the criminals, maybe put up warnings about high risk areas etc etc.

Clearly this gives some concrete reason why tourists should treat it as an isolated instance & keep going to those countries.

In Thailand, you read about police applicants cheating to get jobs, not real comforting.

However the reality is its cheap & fun to come to Thailand, accordingly, I dont think the tourism industry in the LOS will even miss a beat.

The vast majority of knife crimes go unreported in what must surely be a deliberate attempt to stifle the information. There have been at least 3 knife related incidents on the opposite coast since Songkran resulting in 1 death & 2 hospitalisations for attempted murder. Knives & guns are fashion accessories here & until that is addressed we can expect little change.

Edited by evadgib

The RTP will not take this lightly. I suspect they will have made arrests by the end of the day.

yes they always arrest someone ...but whats the point if the crims do little or no time? the sad thing this continues to happen because the police force is corrupt ... 350k and you can be a cop in LOS ..... anyone follow the cheating in police exams story ?

This is getting out of hand. Who in their right mind would do such a thing in the process of comitting a petty crime such as a bag snatch ? Messed up druggies ? They should be taken out the back and ....

offtopic.gif Further to the BIB incompetence issue is this incident which also occured last night in Phuket where an Australian alledges he was beaten to within an inch of his life and left for dead. Only for the BIB to call it a motorbike accident. This gets on my nerves as I was personally involved in a similar incident many years ago when a young lad was clearly beaten savagely only to have the BIB say it was a motorbike accident. He didn't even own or rent a bike.bah.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8487202/australian-man-beaten-left-for-dead-in-phuket coffee1.gif