Ecuador Could Decide On Assenge'S Asylum Request On Thursday

News_Editor

Actually he asked for this from the beginning and this could have saved a lot of time and hassle.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable request and if all those people in this thread who constantly keep saying “ don't worry there is nothing to worry about - USA dont want him " are correct......there shouldn't be any problem with this should there?

" SYDNEY: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Monday called for diplomatic guarantees he will not be pursued by the United States for publishing secret documents if he goes to Sweden to face criminal allegations.The Australian, 40, said he is prepared to go to Sweden to face questioning over sex assault claims,"

" He has repeatedly said he is prepared to be questioned in Sweden if there were guarantees he will not then be extradited to the US."

http://tribune.com.p...sent-to-the-us/

I read this earlier today and spit out my coffee laughing so hard.

He makes the claim he is "willing" to do this and "willing" to do that...or WHAT?

Exactly what is he going to do if the powers that be in the UK and Sweden tell him no deal? It's hard to bargain when you have nothing to bargain with.wink.png

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually he asked for this from the beginning and this could have saved a lot of time and hassle.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable request and if all those people in this thread who constantly keep saying “ don't worry there is nothing to worry about - USA dont want him " are correct......there shouldn't be any problem with this should there?

" SYDNEY: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Monday called for diplomatic guarantees he will not be pursued by the United States for publishing secret documents if he goes to Sweden to face criminal allegations.The Australian, 40, said he is prepared to go to Sweden to face questioning over sex assault claims,"

" He has repeatedly said he is prepared to be questioned in Sweden if there were guarantees he will not then be extradited to the US."

He makes the claim he is "willing" to do this and "willing" to do that...or WHAT?

Exactly what is he going to do if the powers that be in the UK and Sweden tell him no deal? It's hard to bargain when you have nothing to bargain with.wink.png

or WHAT?

simple he doesnt take the risk ?rolleyes.gif

I am sure I am missing something but can someone tell me why a country would want him? What country really wants to upset the USA just for the heck of it? What is the quid pro quo? What does Julian bring to the table? I'm talking country not folk hero status on Thai Visa.

I am sure I am missing something but can someone tell me why a country would want him? What country really wants to upset the USA just for the heck of it? What is the quid pro quo? What does Julian bring to the table? I'm talking country not folk hero status on Thai Visa.

Maybe he has a stash of material not yet released.

I understand that but besides blackmail what country would that profit. 99% of his stuff is anti US anyway.

According to this website Bradley Manning is now " facing the possibility of execution for blowing the whistle on gross injustices.

He isn't in trouble for "whistle blowing".

He is going to get the book thrown at him for violating the Military Code of Justice.

According to this website Bradley Manning is now " facing the possibility of execution for blowing the whistle on gross injustices.

He isn't in trouble for "whistle blowing".

He is going to get the book thrown at him for violating the Military Code of Justice.

did the fat lady sing and i missed it? huh.png

or WHAT?

simple he doesnt take the risk ?rolleyes.gif

At this point I don't think he has much of a choice.

If he stays in the Ecuadorian Embassy I suppose he will be fine as long as somebody is paying his room and board.

If he leaves the Embassy, he is very likely to be arrested by the UK government and placed in jail for jumping bond. His release from that lock up would likely be determined by a criminal trial followed by sentencing and jail term.

After all that, it would seem the UK government, being somewhat less enamoured with him than before, might take him in handcuffs to Heathrow for the short flight to Sweden, where he will be asked all those nasty questions he has been trying to avoid.

Following all this maybe he can then spend his golden years in Ecuador as he desires.

He threw away his choices when he sought asylum in Ecuador.

what does this say about some Americans attitude towards their own country.....?

Prominent Americans urge Ecuador to accept Julian Assange's asylum request

The following letter has been circulated mostly in the United States by Just Foreign Policy. It was hand-delivered to the Embassy of Ecuador in London by Just Foreign Policy Policy Director Robert Naiman on Monday, June 25. It has now been signed by more than 4000 people.

" We also call on you to grant Mr. Assange political asylum because the “crime” that he has committed is that of practicing journalism. He has revealed important crimes against humanity committed by the U.S. government, most notably in releasing video footage from an Apache helicopter of a 2007 incident in which the U.S. military appears to have deliberately killed civilians, including two Reuters employees. Wikileaks’ release of thousands of U.S. State Department cables revealed important cases of U.S. officials acting to undermine democracy and human rights around the world."

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/1257

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

" crimes against humanity committed by the U.S. government"

amazing that this issue hasn't even been discussed or analysed?

Only concentrating on a supposed crime surrounding a broken condom ?ermm.gif

• Like 1

I understand that but besides blackmail what country would that profit. 99% of his stuff is anti US anyway.

Could that have anything to do with the U.S doing 99% of the stuff.wink.png

" crimes against humanity committed by the U.S. government"

amazing that this issue hasn't even been discussed or analysed?

Only concentrating on a supposed crime surrounding a broken condom ?ermm.gif

I don't think the US government broke his condom. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Could that have anything to do with the U.S doing 99% of the stuff.wink.png

That is the point George. All governments have confidential communications that are their opinions true or not. Even Australia has opinions independent of the US I think. Those governments have a right to keep those communications confidential. Julian does not think so. He thinks that the US mostly should not have the right to keep communications confidential. Maybe the US did something maybe not. That is not the point. That the US and indeed even Australia has the right to keep communications confidential. Think of what would have happened to Julian if he released 100,000 pages of confidential Chinese documents on computer hacking?

what does this say about some Americans attitude towards their own country.....?

The following letter has been circulated mostly in the United States by Just Foreign Policy. It was hand-delivered to the Embassy of Ecuador in London by Just Foreign Policy Policy Director Robert Naiman on Monday, June 25. It has now been signed by more than 4000 people.

" We also call on you to grant Mr. Assange political asylum because the “crime” that he has committed is that of practicing journalism. He has revealed important crimes against humanity committed by the U.S. government, most notably in releasing video footage from an Apache helicopter of a 2007 incident in which the U.S. military appears to have deliberately killed civilians, including two Reuters employees. Wikileaks’ release of thousands of U.S. State Department cables revealed important cases of U.S. officials acting to undermine democracy and human rights around the world."

http://www.justforei...y.org/node/1257

It is especially comical that these left-wing twits are asking Correa to stand up for "press freedom and on the public's right to know". Correa is an enemy of "press freedom" in his own country! He has used "libel laws" against journalists that speak against him pretty much the same way the little tyrants do here in Thailand. Then he "expropriated" or, more accurately, stole television stations that dared to criticize him.

And now this wanna-be Nazi Correa is supposed to care about press freedom?

• Like 1

Yeah, Correa is a little Chavez. Not much to admire there. I wish the usual leftist American suspects would shut up about this. I'm often on their side, but on this, I think just let Correa do what he is going to do or not do, and don't get involved.

Edited by Jingthing

It says that America isn't so bad that Communists and assorted leftists in our midst fear signing their names to a letter making wild, false accusations against the government all in the name of defending some creepy, ego-maniac, maybe-rapist on the run from true justice.

It says that America isn't so bad that Communists and assorted leftists in our midst fear signing their names to a letter making wild, false accusations against the government all in the name of defending some creepy, ego-maniac, maybe-rapist on the run from true justice.

Yeah, but to be fair, very few of the those people signing are actually communists. I know that's a fun hot button word for y'all though.

Even if Ecuador grants him asylum, he must reach Ecuador to enjoy it. Scotland Yard says they will arrest him if/when he leaves the Embassy, even if traveling in a diplomatic vehicle.

The next few hours should be interesting.

I would like to know how the can argue braking international law by blocking or opening a diplomatic vehicle.

A vehicle cannot be considered as having any sort of diplomatic protection and is not considered Ecuadorian land as is the Embassy.

The vehicle operates under the laws of the England and doesn't have diplomatic immunity...only some of the occupants.

But if they grant asylum, they will just give him a passport with Diplomatic Immunity, simple really. I hope he gets it and I hope he can carry on for the next 20 years in Ecuador exposing all of the sleazy lies that we suspect our Governments tell. The guy deserves a medal, i agree the release of information was rather untidy, but the contents were the truth, what's wrong with the truth? As for the rape charges, we have been over this a gazillion times. He was interviewed fully in Sweden by the authorities and the Public Prosecutor decided there was no case, so the PP was replaced with one that wanted to pursue the case. It's all BS.

For the first time I agree with you 100%

Well said.

But if they grant asylum, they will just give him a passport with Diplomatic Immunity, simple really. I hope he gets it and I hope he can carry on for the next 20 years in Ecuador exposing all of the sleazy lies that we suspect our Governments tell. The guy deserves a medal, i agree the release of information was rather untidy, but the contents were the truth, what's wrong with the truth? As for the rape charges, we have been over this a gazillion times. He was interviewed fully in Sweden by the authorities and the Public Prosecutor decided there was no case, so the PP was replaced with one that wanted to pursue the case. It's all BS.

Well said.

"exposing all of the sleazy lies that we suspect our Governments tell." Don't you mean exposing all of the sleazy lies that the US government tells?

• Like 1

It is especially comical that these left-wing twits are asking Correa to stand up for "press freedom and on the public's right to know". Correa is an enemy of "press freedom" in his own country! He has used "libel laws" against journalists that speak against him pretty much the same way the little tyrants do here in Thailand. Then he "expropriated" or, more accurately, stole television stations that dared to criticize him.

And now this wanna-be Nazi Correa is supposed to care about press freedom?

I think Correa is probably saying that 95% of the MSM press these days is nothing more than a propaganda mouthpiece for US policies. I think he is advocating alternative news sources such as wiki leaks which spread the real news and I agree with him!

Tariq Ali gives his eloquent views on the media in this interview with Assange

Edited by midas

The first few names on the signature list shows the true nature of this stuff.

Michael Moore, Film Director

Danny Glover, Film Director

Oliver Stone, Film Director

Bill Maher, Comedian, Television Host, Political Commentator, Author

Naomi Wolf, Author

Daniel Ellsberg, Vietnam War Whistleblower

No because you do not go through Thai immigration to get to the UK Embassy.

I believe the terms of his release on bond were that he would spend each and every night at his 10 room mansion.

When he failed to return from the Ecuadorian Embassy for the night, he was in violation of the terms of his release.

Any way you cut it...Assange broke the law by this little pajama party at the Embassy.

• Like 1

Well said.

If you agree 100%, then you would both be wrong. This link was posted by Midas earlier in the thread (page 1) and explains Assamge would not be eligible for Diplomatic Immunity in the UK and the reasoning why.

Julian Assange asylum: questions and answers

Owen Bowcott

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 June 2012 16.23 BST

...from the article...

Q: Is there any way the Ecuadoreans can spirit him out of Britain and ensure he reaches the safety of Quito, their capital?

A: If Assange steps out of the embassy, he is liable to be arrested. Were he to be given a diplomatic passport, that would not alter the situation: immunity from arrest is only conferred on diplomats accredited to the Court of St James's by the Foreign Office.

Any attempt by the Ecuadoreans to have him accredited would be rebuffed by UK authorities. Were Assange to accept an Ecuadorean diplomatic passport, some suggest, he would become an Ecuadorean national – and therefore be unable to seek asylum in what would now be his own country's embassy. Diplomacy is a cunning profession – dangerously double-edged.

http://www.guardian....estions-answers

Well said.

If you agree 100%, then you would both be wrong. This link was posted by Midas earlier in the thread (page 1) and explains Assamge would not be eligible for Diplomatic Immunity in the UK and the reasoning why.

Julian Assange asylum: questions and answers

Owen Bowcott

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 June 2012 16.23 BST

...from the article...

Q: Is there any way the Ecuadoreans can spirit him out of Britain and ensure he reaches the safety of Quito, their capital?

A: If Assange steps out of the embassy, he is liable to be arrested. Were he to be given a diplomatic passport, that would not alter the situation: immunity from arrest is only conferred on diplomats accredited to the Court of St James's by the Foreign Office.

Any attempt by the Ecuadoreans to have him accredited would be rebuffed by UK authorities. Were Assange to accept an Ecuadorean diplomatic passport, some suggest, he would become an Ecuadorean national – and therefore be unable to seek asylum in what would now be his own country's embassy. Diplomacy is a cunning profession – dangerously double-edged.

http://www.guardian....estions-answers

Ever heard about helicopters?

The first few names on the signature list shows the true nature of this stuff.

Michael Moore, Film Director

Danny Glover, Film Director

Oliver Stone, Film Director

Bill Maher, Comedian, Television Host, Political Commentator, Author

Naomi Wolf, Author

Daniel Ellsberg, Vietnam War Whistleblower

yes tremendous film directors who cover issues and tell the truth

about things that the mainstream media turn a blind eye to

Edited by midas