How Are Farang Transexuals Regarded In Thailand

theblether

I have a tenant in one of my flats who is a transsexual, they often ask me about the Ladyboy phenomenon in Thailand, and there is a TV show on just now called simply "Ladyboys" that is creating waves in the UK. From what I can gather the show is putting forward a very balanced view of how life is for Ladyboys in Thailand. A few of the guys were talking about in the my shop today and it wasn't the usual garbage they were spouting out, it was a recognition, a fair recognition, of some of the issues that Ladyboys face.

Right, that is not the reason for the topic. I get asked questions I can't answer quite a lot, and here is one for you. The transsexual tenant is contemplating relocating to Thailand for a year to undergo gender re-assignment surgery. I would imagine that Thailand is probably the world leader in gender re-assignment surgery, however it's up to the individual concerned to research that. Once I know they are serious I may encourage him to join TV and ask for advice in the Health forum.

My real question though is, how are farang transsexuals regarded in Thailand? My tenant faces a fair amount of prejudice in the UK, and I know that Ladyboys suffer a fair amount too, would a farang TS fly below the radar? Or too close to the Sun? I wouldn't like to think that I gave advice to someone to go live in Thailand for a year and they were miserable during their time there. I would imagine it would be an emotional enough time for someone going through the gender re-assignment process in a foreign country without the added pressure of feeling alienated every time they walked out the door.

It's a serious subject, I don't have any knowledge on this subject at all so I hand it over to you for your thoughts and advice. I'll be showing the thread to my tenant so please remember there is a real person and a real life changing decision behind this question.

ps.......and before you start, no it's not for me, I'm just perfect the way I am thanks coffee1.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of visa would she get? The usual non-imm would require leaving Thailand every 90 days - maybe not very convenient if she's in the middle of medical procedures.

Edited by endure

What kind of visa would she get? The usual non-imm would require leaving Thailand every 90 days - maybe not very convenient if she's in the middle of medical procedures.

l

I haven't got to that point yet, I'm wary of advising someone who I know is so determined to take this step, and I know how critical the step is. I'm hoping the thread will give some answers so that the individual concerned will make their own decision.

If she really wants to go through with it she shouldn't really be worrying about what a bunch of strangers she can't talk to and will never see again think about her. I would have thought that anyone who can cope with Glasgow will do fine in Bangkok tongue.png

• Like 1

If she really wants to go through with it she shouldn't really be worrying about what a bunch of strangers she can't talk to and will never see again think about her. I would have thought that anyone who can cope with Glasgow will do fine in Bangkok tongue.png

To be fair that's a fair point, she is very gregarious and a bit of a star on the Glasgow gay scene. That being said maybe that is also a complication, she has managed to develop a lifestyle and group of friends where she feels comfortable. That comfort factor disappears as soon as she steps on the aircraft.

I think your transsexual tenant will be welcomed in Thailand. There are, of course, many transsexuals here and they are very much accepted. Also, Thai people are generally receptive towards foreigners, hence why Thailand is so popular as an expat destination.

The novelty of a white transsexual could raise some eyebrows though, and some awkward situations could occur due to the language barrier. However, as long as she is open-minded enough not to confuse misunderstanding with persecution, she will be very happy.

• Like 1

Thailand is the place to come for this. People come from all over for sex change in Thailand. He/she will be welcomed with a red carpet at certain hospitals. The idea of the need to stay a full year is ridiculous. He/she should be contacting the hospitals and get comprehensive advice on how much time (and money) is needed to do everything. Obviously the cut off is just one part. I would focus on the surgery and recovery and FORGET about moving to Thailand. Plan to spend most of the the time in the hospital and also in patient friendly hotels the hospitals can help with. They can also refer to professional helpers/drivers who deal with patients like this all the time. Maybe it's all possible on a 60 day tourist visa or even a 30 day stamp. The hospitals would know. That's their business. Big business:

http://www.yanhee.ne...ocedure/srt-mtf

Note well the need for a psychiatric endorsement of the change from a doctor in the home country! (And also a Thai one, no problem there.)

If I haven't made myself clear, I think the idea of moving to Thailand for this is a really, really bad idea, and not at all typical. Come for the surgeries, recover ... then go home.

Edited by Jingthing

An interesting question. From my knowledge there are plenty of farang transsexuals who have travelled to Thailand for the operation and with some mixed success.

I assume in recent years more than not. Thailand is a world leader in this field of surgery, mainly i believe due to its relaxed approach regarding Thais wishing to have the operation.

Foreigners I think have a more rigorous vetting procedure. Its a shame the member Bambina is no longer active...I think she would have had a good input for this thread.

Perhaps there might be some on the forum now who can offer more on the question of how farang transsexuals fare nowadays in Thailand?

Thailand is the place to come for this. People come from all over for sex change in Thailand. He/she will be welcomed with a red carpet at certain hospitals. The idea of the need to stay a full year is ridiculous. He/she should be contacting the hospitals and get comprehensive advice on how much time (and money) is needed to do everything. Obviously the cut off is just one part. I would focus on the surgery and recovery and FORGET about moving to Thailand. Plan to spend most of the the time in the hospital and also in patient friendly hotels the hospitals can help with. They can also refer to professional helpers/drivers who deal with patients like this all the time. Maybe it's all possible on a 60 day tourist visa or even a 30 day stamp. The hospitals would know. That's their business. Big business:

http://www.yanhee.ne...ocedure/srt-mtf

Note well the need for a psychiatric endorsement of the change from a doctor in the home country! (And also a Thai one, no problem there.)

If I haven't made myself clear, I think the idea of moving to Thailand for this is a really, really bad idea, and not at all typical. Come for the surgeries, recover ... then go home.

Thanks Jingthing wai.gif

I note your edit........can you explain why it's a bad idea to stay?

I would bet the house that resident transgendered westerners are VERY RARE in Thailand. I still don't get the impulse to MOVE here for the change. I reckon if she tells the hospital people this plan, they will think it's very odd.

I would bet the house that resident transgendered westerners are VERY RARE in Thailand. I still don't get the impulse to MOVE here for the change. I reckon if she tells the hospital people this plan, they will think it's very odd.

Surely, from the perspective of transsexual specific issues, Thailand is one of the best (if not the best) country in the world to live. Why would any newly re-aligned individual not be tempted by Thailand's scene?

I know one girl in rural Wales who had the op in Thailand and was very happy with the outcome, but subsequently returned to Wales.

Think she was in Thailand less than three weeks before flying home....I would need to ask really.

Interesting........

As I mentioned earlier I have no knowledge at all, I'm appreciating the input.

I know one girl in rural Wales who had the op in Thailand and was very happy with the outcome, but subsequently returned to Wales.

Think she was in Thailand less than three weeks before flying home....I would need to ask really.

I think Bambina was before my time, though I have heard her referred to before. It would be good to hear from someone who has went through the experience.......and picking up from what JT is saying, it looks like the year long stay idea is a non-starter.

Thailand is a transsexual's utopia isn't it?...

Oh please. Are you suggesting she is going to work in Thailand? Doing what? Transsexuals who are Thais have VERY LIMITED work options and they are Thai. No, it is NOT a utopia for transgendered people. That is rubbish. It is a good place to get the needed surgeries though, probably the best place.

Yes, y'all should watch the UK Ladyboy show, six parts. Believe me, you won't think Thailand is "utopia" for transgendered people after watching it.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes it is........the thing that concerns me though is that some people don't realize there is always a snake in paradise. I think the Television show Ladyboys is going to cause a surge in sex re-assignment surgery tourism.

It's a serious issue, I can't begin to imagine what people in this position experience on a daily basis, so I won't second guess. Information is power, JT has already stepped in with excellent info.......excellent stuff.

Oh please. Are you suggesting she is going to work in Thailand? Doing what? Transsexuals who are Thais have VERY LIMITED work options and they are Thai. No, it is NOT a utopia for transgendered people. That is rubbish. It is a good place to get the needed surgeries though, probably the best place.

Its a utopia for Thai transgendered people even...or not?

What is your opinion on that JT?

Or perhaps the dream is the US or Europe....I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Yes, y'all should watch the UK Ladyboy show, six parts. Believe me, you won't think Thailand is "utopia" for transgendered people after watching it.

You might be right but I would have thought it would be easier for her to find work in Bangkok than in Glasgow.

You might be right but I would have thought it would be easier for her to find work in Bangkok than in Glasgow.

Not necessarily...Glasgow is very cosmopolitan these days. You would be surprised!

Thailand is probably the best place to be for the operation but that's the least part of it. Has she had any dealings with the NHS about this? Has she started on any hormone type treatment? Had any counselling? It's not just a matter of having your meat and two veg removed.

There was a programme on TV a while ago about gender reassignment surgery in Bangkok. It featured a couple of Thais and two Americans who'd flown over for the op. The Thais sailed through it but they had their friends and family to support them. The Americans seemed very badly prepared. I suspect that they were there in spite of what their Doctors in the US recommended rather than because of.

Not necessarily...Glasgow is very cosmopolitan these days. You would be surprised!

It is very cosmopolitan, there is a vibrant Gay social scene, plenty of good bars and nightclubs. That is partly the issue, the person in question moved here from a small country type town, a small community...........she has established herself here with plenty of pals.......I'm concerned that moving to Thailand would cause undue turmoil.

Thailand is probably the best place to be for the operation but that's the least part of it. Has she had any dealings with the NHS about this? Has she started on any hormone type treatment? Had any counselling? It's not just a matter of having your meat and two veg removed.

There was a programme on TV a while ago about gender reassignment surgery in Bangkok. It featured a couple of Thais and two Americans who'd flown over for the op. The Thais sailed through it but they had their friends and family to support them. The Americans seemed very badly prepared. I suspect that they were there in spite of what their Doctors in the US recommended rather than because of.

Exactly my fear endure...............I think that TV show Ladyboys is going to encourage a surge in gender re-assignment tourism from people who are not ready for it. I keep saying it, it's a serious issue, very serious.

Remember every point brought up here will be shown to the person in question.......information is power.

I'm curious to know why this thread has been moved to the Gay Forum.

As far as I am aware transsexuals are not gay...they are people who wish to or have changed their gender and are subsequently in the majority heterosexual.

Perhaps someone with more experience can offer better and more informed info?

The "gay" forum here has always been inclusive of transgender issues. No, they are not the same thing but do often share similar experiences of marginalization in societies related to minority sexuality status. This mirrors the international political alliance of LGBT people we see in many countries. Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender.

Transgender people CAN sometimes ALSO be gay or bisexual.

For example a male to female transgender who loves men and women would be trangendered as well as bi.

I'm curious to know why this thread has been moved to the Gay Forum.

As far as I am aware transsexuals are not gay...they are people who wish to or have changed their gender and are subsequently in the majority heterosexual.

Perhaps someone with more experience can offer better and more informed info?

According to my cousin who is a transsexual they are absolutely not gay!

I will add that she had her trans gender work done in Bangkok about 5 years ago and was delighted with the outcome. . All physiological assessments were done at the Charing X Hospital but the waiting times were prohibitive , therefore Bangkok was her second choice.

Edited by edwinclapham

the Glasgow gay scene.

The mind boggles.

In my rather less than mature mind that's right up there with the " Mogadishu Philately Society" or the "Helmand Province Drum and Bass Cooperative" biggrin.png

Edited by mca

According to my cousin who is a transsexual they are absolutely not gay!

Transgender and gay are definitely NOT the same thing. That is true. Most transgender people are attracted to the opposite sex of what sex they are inside just as most people in general are. Most, but not all. So for example when a male to female transgender person wants a man, generally the psychology of it is heterosexual. But there are so many variations. There are some gay men as well who are into transgendered male to females, so there are times when attempts at labeling is stretched.

While Thailand may be more tolerant of LGBT, I don't think that is enough to decide to move to Thailand. I believe your friend will find more support from her friends (and hopefully) her family than with strangers in Thailand - even though there is a large transgendered population in Thailand. While Thai transgendered people are more visible here - the language barrier will be a huge hurdle to overcome for her to feel a part of the community. I think after surgery, there will be enough changes in her life that being faced with a new country and language would only complicate her adjustment.

Best of luck to her in whatever she decides - we all deserve to be happy and loved.

• Like 2

Interesting........

As I mentioned earlier I have no knowledge at all, I'm appreciating the input.

You know the more you try to reiterate this line...well you know...

I have yet to see a western TS here that Stevie Wonder could not pick.

If I was a transsexual...and I might add a dam_n sexy one...I would not live here..just come and get the job done and go home to my strong friends and social group.

Here, a farang TS would stand out in the group of Thai friends like tits on a bull. I do not have big hands and big feet, so my transition and slender figure would possibly fit in....but any other TS with the bigger endowments would be exaggerated by the petite Thais around them.....like Jack in the beanstalk...

Edited by samsiam
  • Like 2