International License Good In The Usa

michaelpeitou

If you have a 5 Years Thai Driving License you can get one at the DLT (I'm not 100% sure if the Pattaya one issues those anyone ??)

If you don't have a Thai 5 Year License, then the only place where you can get 1 legally, is back in your Home Country.

Edited by MJCM

Do you have a 5 year Thai license?

Don't know if the local Transport Office can issue an international permit but there is a driving school on South Rd just past Friendship and on the same side heading towards Third Road.

They advertise a service to obtain an international permit with a list of the documents you need. Don't know the price though.

I checked the Budget Car Rental terms and conditions, and it appears that you only need an international driving permit if your original home country driver'ss license is in a non-Latin script:

"Driver’s license requirements

At time of rental car pick-up in the U.S. or Canada, all drivers must present a valid, U.S.- or Canadian-issued driver's license in the driver’s name. If you are renting a Budget vehicle in the U.S. and are in possession of a Canadian driver’s license, you will be required to also present a valid passport in the driver’s name. In lieu of a passport and Canadian driver’s license, you may instead present an Enhanced Driver’s License in your name.

Non-U.S. and non-Canadian residents are required to present a valid driver’s license and a passport from their home country. If the information on your driver’s license is not written in the classic Latin Alphabet, you must also present an International Driving Permit. If you have indicated on your reservation that you are a non-U.S. resident, you must also present proof of your return trip back to your resident country or your confirmed reservation rate will change."

I suspect that the terms of other rental agencies are the same or similar.

I checked the Budget Car Rental terms and conditions, and it appears that you only need an international driving permit if your original home country driver'ss license is in a non-Latin script:

At time of rental car pick-up in the U.S. or Canada, all drivers must present a valid, U.S.- or Canadian-issued driver's license in the driver’s name. If you are renting a Budget vehicle in the U.S. and are in possession of a Canadian driver’s license, you will be required to also present a valid passport in the driver’s name. In lieu of a passport and Canadian driver’s license, you may instead present an Enhanced Driver’s License in your name.

Non-U.S. and non-Canadian residents are required to present a valid driver’s license and a passport from their home country. If the information on your driver’s license is not written in the classic Latin Alphabet, you must also present an International Driving Permit. If you have indicated on your reservation that you are a non-U.S. resident, you must also present proof of your return trip back to your resident country or your confirmed reservation rate will change."

So it could be written in German, French, Italian, Danish? Even Vietnamese?

New Thai licenses are written in English, as well as Thai.

Edited by PattayaParent

So it could be written in German, French, Italian, Danish? Even Vietnamese?

New Thai licenses are written in English, as well as Thai.

Why not just ask them?

https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/feedback/feedbackrouter.ex?feedbackhome=display-contactus

Up to a year ago the ONLY place to get a REAL international license is at Licensing center in Bangkok, I expect its still the same.

I expect that the driving school I mentioned will process the application in Bangkok for you for a fee.

Yeap all they do is facilitate it through BKK......for reference I got a new IDP at Mo Chit last year and price is a little over THB 500 and literally 20 minutes to get sorted out....so if you get a price off the driving school, will give you an idea of how much they are charging for the service

I got one at the DLT on highway 36 a few years ago. They had to order the paperwork from Bangkok so it took a few weeks to get it. Don't recall the price but it was a few hundreds baht. It was only valid for a few months though.